HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports Thread IX - Cubs do something right, beat Tigers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-27-2012, 08:08 PM
  #51
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Just to further expand on my dislike for HS aged prospects... I just looked at Tim Beckham's numbers, former #1 overall pick by the great drafting Rays. Last year in his 4th MiLB season he hit .271 with 120 Ks to 41 BBs over 524 ABs. His OBP was .328 with 12 bombs and and 17 SBs. This year he is off to a pretty terrible start with a .204 average and .290 OBP, with 0 HRs and 1 SB. That is over 54 ABs, which I'm not sure why is so low.

I know this obviously this isn't the case for all, but just thought I'd throw him out there for an example. Hell, look at the 2004 draft... Matt Bush (the SS), Chris Nelson, Trevor Plouffe, Greg Golson, and Blake DeWitt were the hitters drafted out of HS in the first round. They all suck. The 2003 draft was just as bad for HS hitters in the first round.
Most of those guys had pretty awful swings too though. Beckham's load is so long, he just pulls everything or his hips open up and he can't get good contact.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:09 PM
  #52
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I've seen some video of him, and he can hit the cover off the ball. Normally, I'd agree, but if he's developed right, he'll be an All-Star easily.
Do you think it's worth risking such an early pick on him though? Me personally, I'd say no, even though I really pretty much everyone in the MLB is a gigantic risk.

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
  #53
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
do you guys think barney has a future with the cubs? i really like him and castro up the middle

TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
  #54
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Just to further expand on my dislike for HS aged prospects... I just looked at Tim Beckham's numbers, former #1 overall pick by the great drafting Rays. Last year in his 4th MiLB season he hit .271 with 120 Ks to 41 BBs over 524 ABs. His OBP was .328 with 12 bombs and and 17 SBs. This year he is off to a pretty terrible start with a .204 average and .290 OBP, with 0 HRs and 1 SB. That is over 54 ABs, which I'm not sure why is so low.

I know this obviously this isn't the case for all, but just thought I'd throw him out there for an example. Hell, look at the 2004 draft... Matt Bush (the SS), Chris Nelson, Trevor Plouffe, Greg Golson, and Blake DeWitt were the hitters drafted out of HS in the first round. They all suck. The 2003 draft was just as bad for HS hitters in the first round.
Look at the 05 draft though. Upton, Mccutchen, and Bruce out of HS. 07 Heyward, last year Harper

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
  #55
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
do you guys think barney has a future with the cubs? i really like him and castro up the middle
Hes just ok, theyd like to upgrade

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:13 PM
  #56
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Most of those guys had pretty awful swings too though. Beckham's load is so long, he just pulls everything or his hips open up and he can't get good contact.
I don't disagree, but they were still viewed as first round talents. I just think the fail rate is far too high to make it worth the risk. I'd rather draft more of a sure thing, who is older, with less upside. That's just my option, though.

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:15 PM
  #57
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Look at the 05 draft though. Upton, Mccutchen, and Bruce out of HS. 07 Heyward, last year Harper
Harper still hasn't proved anything, and I'm not sold on Heyward yet. He's constantly injured, was pretty damn awful last year, and really isn't lighting it up this year either. Upton has been great, as as Cutch... no argument there.

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:16 PM
  #58
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Correa is the only one I'd consider. I don't like Almora and Buxton will be gone anyways.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:18 PM
  #59
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Correa is the only one I'd consider. I don't like Almora and Buxton will be gone anyways.
Say everything pans out with Correa, do you move Starlin or move Correa from day one after the draft?

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:18 PM
  #60
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,224
vCash: 500
Im much more interested in Jorge Soler than who they take in the draft

Illinihockey is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:19 PM
  #61
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Say everything pans out with Correa, do you move Starlin or move Correa from day one after the draft?
Correa to 2B. I think Starlin has gold glove potential. He has all the raw tools to be the best fielding SS in the MLB and he's starting to put it together this year.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:20 PM
  #62
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
do you guys think barney has a future with the cubs? i really like him and castro up the middle
He should be the utility infielder, not the starting 2B

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
  #63
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Correa to 2B. I think Starlin has gold glove potential. He has all the raw tools to be the best fielding SS in the MLB and he's starting to put it together this year.
I agree on Starlin, just wasn't sure how Correa was viewed defensively. Another question, what are the thoughts on Correa's power potential? I'd love to get another 30 HR guy to go with Rizzo, especially since Jackson is more of a 20 HR guy.

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:29 PM
  #64
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I agree on Starlin, just wasn't sure how Correa was viewed defensively. Another question, what are the thoughts on Correa's power potential? I'd love to get another 30 HR guy to go with Rizzo, especially since Jackson is more of a 20 HR guy.
He's got very raw power, but he has room to fill out. As I said before, I love his stroke at the plate, so I could definitely see 25-30 home runs come out of him. Baez would probably be more likely of that though.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:31 PM
  #65
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...OLYroster.html

team USA roster for london. kevin love representing white guys everywhere

who do you think the starters will be?

i'm thinkin

PG chris paul/russell westbrook
SG kobe/dwyane wade
SF lebron/kevin durant
PF kevin love
C dwight howard

i wish rose was playing...

TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:32 PM
  #66
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...OLYroster.html

team USA roster for london. kevin love representing white guys everywhere

who do you think the starters will be?

i'm thinkin

PG chris paul/russell westbrook
SG kobe/dwyane wade
SF lebron/kevin durant
PF kevin love
C dwight howard

i wish rose was playing...
Crunch time minute lineup

PG- LBJ
SG- Kobe
SF- Durant
PF- Love
C- D12

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:34 PM
  #67
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Crunch time minute lineup

PG- LBJ
SG- Kobe
SF- Durant
PF- Love
C- D12
that's a scary lineup lol

there's so many choices

TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:35 PM
  #68
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
that's a scary lineup lol

there's so many choices
No excuses for them not winning the gold.

Well, ok, maybe just having LeBron on the roster... BAZING!

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:35 PM
  #69
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
He's got very raw power, but he has room to fill out. As I said before, I love his stroke at the plate, so I could definitely see 25-30 home runs come out of him. Baez would probably be more likely of that though.
Definitely nothing to scoff at... Found this nifty site in the link below, and after a quick glance, it definitely doesn't look like Theo is against drafting HS kids.

http://www.soxprospects.com/dh1009.htm

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:37 PM
  #70
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
No excuses for them not winning the gold.

Well, ok, maybe just having LeBron on the roster... BAZING!
in 17 olympics involving basketball, the us has played in 16, won 13 gold medals, 1 silver, and 2 bronze. basketball is our game

TwistedWrister90 is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:38 PM
  #71
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Definitely nothing to scoff at... Found this nifty site in the link below, and after a quick glance, it definitely doesn't look like Theo is against drafting HS kids.

http://www.soxprospects.com/dh1009.htm
I know he's more of a fan of college pitchers than HS ones. He's always been a full spectrum BPA kind of guy though.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:42 PM
  #72
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Would rather not take a short stop
why? castro can play 2b. He's pretty sketchy defensively.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:43 PM
  #73
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 57,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
why? castro can play 2b. He's pretty sketchy defensively.
As Murray said earlier, he has vastly improved and has GG potential at SS. His range is unreal, he just needs to keep working on his throws.

RayP is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 08:44 PM
  #74
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
why? castro can play 2b. He's pretty sketchy defensively.
He's been one of the best, if not the best, defensive SS in the MLB this season.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 09:36 PM
  #75
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,724
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na...OLYroster.html

team USA roster for london. kevin love representing white guys everywhere

who do you think the starters will be?

i'm thinkin

PG chris paul/russell westbrook
SG kobe/dwyane wade
SF lebron/kevin durant
PF kevin love
C dwight howard

i wish rose was playing...
Howard is out isn't he?

Just had back surgery

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.