HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Credibility brought by New Management?

Old
05-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Kikizaz

vCash: 500
We had a very credible GM very recently. When Bob Gainey re-joined us, he was a stanley cup winning GM, taken other teams to the final as Coach and GM. He was described someone who you made sure to listen to. "When he speaks people pay attention."

How do we, as the fans, know whether or not someone is respected by their peers.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Aaaaah.. the honeymoon!

Such a great time.
Echo this. We have a first time GM with NO FAULTS attributed to him. Just wait.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Some stability has been achieved but we shouldn't take it for granted that there will be immediate signs of progress. As of now the Habs still have the same players they had in game 82.
To nitpick mostly, the Habs did not have Gionta in Game 82, nor did they have an Andrei Markov who felt the ice as well as a player who has played more than a few games in 700 days. In my opinion, the potential for both of those players returning, and returning to form, offers a very significant boost in "potential." Sure that could be easily counteracted by a lull-year by Cole, or padded by Subban reaching a higher level, but alone - I feel Gionta/Markov can offer more than some might be realizing right now. Queue the "Markov is done, end of story" replies

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Echo this. We have a first time GM with NO FAULTS attributed to him. Just wait.
It will come soon enough. I think he'll get blasted for the non moves more than anything else. Gomez is an interesting situation. I think no matter what he does, someone will complain there.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
S Bah

Bergevin has already proven his smarts in signing Kinsella to the scouting in the Midwest relieving some of the pressure from Timmins shoulders,while enabling him to assist him with his knowledge of Habs personnel.Carriere being another smart move,as he was involved with the team personally and with the workings inside the Bell Center.Then getting his mentor Rick Dudley with a pedigree in the NHL few if any can compare to and at the same time will be there to help steer the ship until the course is steady and sure. These moves are those of a confident man,well grounded,building for the Championship.Strategically setting the stage with the best in the business he has in front of him.The new GM gives off a sense of security and all his choices show he has things well in hand,nothing rushed with a calm of someone that has been doing his job all his life.I'm happy!The Mellanby signing keeps adding to the strength being built at the offices in Montreal,Scott as Director of Player Personnel takes another load off of Trevor Timmins plate,while insuring the progress of our prospects.Happier still!

Last edited by S Bah: 05-28-2012 at 01:00 PM.
S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Not at all , its 2 very good hirings but Bob gainey also had a lot of credibility around the nhl.
Exactly, the OP makes it sound like Gainey didn't have any credibility when hired. Heck I still think Gainey has a ton of credibility.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Ginu

To me it'll be established if we can finally get the right group behind the bench. Rotating coaches and being a platform for breeding in new coaches made our whole coaching situation a laughing stock. If we can attract the best of the best behind the bench, that's when I'll tip my hat to the new management team. They've done well so far but there's a lot more to do

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:55 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Exactly, the OP makes it sound like Gainey didn't have any credibility when hired. Heck I still think Gainey has a ton of credibility.
Gainey became a laughing stock in the NHL, his credibility has been shot. Sry. He had some when he was first hired, but he lost most of that as years went by.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Any idea when a new coach will be announced?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Any idea when a new coach will be announced?
Either before the Stanley Cup Finals start on Wednesday or after the final game.The NHL doesn't want distractions while the Finals are being played,it's the Showcase Event of the NHL.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:34 AM
baldrick

Well right now their credibility must be higher than Gauthier's. I'll wait to see if it translates into dealings with other clubs.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:50 AM
Mike8

Yeah, credibility is earned, so I don't think Bergevin compares to Gainey in this regard. Gainey came in as a respected hockey veteran, both player and manager, with a real winning background. He had come over after having built up a great Stars franchise, and had been sought after by the Leafs as well.

Bergevin's popular, it seems, but that ought not be confused with credible. He'll have earned some credibility after a good summer.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:03 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

What Mike8 said.
Personally my expectations are low and will remain low for upcoming years.

What constitutes Management credibility?
the habs org "power" within the NHL clubs?
attracting UFA's / trading for players who have NMC/NTC and WANT to come here?
sign RFA's successfully?

Like Mike8 said, we will see first signs of management credibility after this summer and further down the stretch.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Bob in Niagara

Bergevin is doing all the right things....and in doing so....is gaining credibility for the Habs again and for himself....the overhaul of the front office....adding some significant pieces...was long overdue....

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Aaaaah.. the honeymoon!

Such a great time.
for once I'd like to see the marriage last a little while with a couple of points where were the happiest couple in the room rather then screaming upstairs

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Teufelsdreck

Human pregnancies last 9 months for the results to be apparent, somewhat longer for elephants. Taking an NHL team from bottom to top takes still longer. Clinching a playoff spot before game 82 would be an encouraging sign but much would remain to be accomplished.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Human pregnancies last 9 months for the results to be apparent, somewhat longer for elephants. Taking an NHL team from bottom to top takes still longer. Clinching a playoff spot before game 82 would be an encouraging sign but much would remain to be accomplished.
I would define success next year as...

1-making the playoffs
2-developping our young players(NHL and AHL) without rushing them

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Gainey became a laughing stock in the NHL, his credibility has been shot. Sry. He had some when he was first hired, but he lost most of that as years went by.
It only appears that way for Habs fans. Thats not how it works in the real world. In the real world, people don't just rely on the media to form opinions.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
It only appears that way for Habs fans. Thats not how it works in the real world. In the real world, people don't just rely on the media to form opinions.
Oh, thanks for sharing, BG will never be a GM in this league again, think of that what you like.

That's the real world.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yeah, credibility is earned, so I don't think Bergevin compares to Gainey in this regard. Gainey came in as a respected hockey veteran, both player and manager, with a real winning background. He had come over after having built up a great Stars franchise, and had been sought after by the Leafs as well.

Bergevin's popular, it seems, but that ought not be confused with credible. He'll have earned some credibility after a good summer.

Exactly...

And I'd add that, as we saw with Gainey (and to a lesser extent Martin/Hauthier), "credibility" isn't the be/all end/all. Lots of chance & luck plays a role in winning,

All that really matters is how effective he is. Being a rookie GM, I expect there may be a few bumps along the road... In my books, he needs two full offseasons before we can really start nit picking (like Gauthier, he deserves some time/leeway in dealing with the inherited problems).

Just hope there aren't any Gomez-esque blunders early on (or at all for that matter)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
for once I'd like to see the marriage last a little while with a couple of points where were the happiest couple in the room rather then screaming upstairs
Perfect analogy...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Estimated_Prophet

So far I am extremely impressed with the new hirings. That will all go to crap if they hire Crawford......he is a world class idiot who should stay on T.V. with fellow morons like MacLean and Milbury.

I like the fact that Bergevin and Dudley are very connected in the "old boys club" as networking is incredibley important. Unlike many of the dinosaurs that belong to this club, both Bergevin and Dudley seem to be men who aren't afraid to think outside of the box and allow themselves to adapt and learn along the way.

This team could potentially turn around in an awful hurry as I think the players will love playing for this regime.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
This team could potentially turn around in an awful hurry as I think the players will love playing for this regime.
This is a nice thought, actually. I suspect you're right that it will be a popular regime to play for.

Re: Dudley. 10 years ago, I was a big fan of his. Even 5 years ago. Now? I'm a little concerned if only because he's been around the block so much. I'm in the camp of wanting fresh ideas. I like the way Pittsburgh and Boston have approached management, and I was hoping for the same fresh concepts for Montreal.

I'm not as convinced by Dudley's track record--even if I am a fan of his.

I don't know much about Carriere either. (I know he's not a new hire, but he seems to be relatively integral in this front office)

Mellanby -- I like. I liked him a lot as a player, and I think it's always positive to have individuals like him in organisations.

I also like how Bergevin seems to be inclined to stock the management team with a few more bodies.

I suppose we'll see how forward-thinking he is.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
This is one of the most insane things ever said on this board...sorry man, couldn't disagree more...BG made some mistakes, but he is hugely respected throughout the league, as a champion...on a couple of levels...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Et le But

Gainey is such a laughing stock he got another job immediately after being forced to step down.

It's obvious his last few years as GM he lost the plot, but the only place where Gainey is hated is Montreal...which is tragic when you consider how much he did for the city.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote