HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leiweke Article - Campbell Bowl; Dean's ups and downs

Old
05-28-2012, 08:21 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
Leiweke Article - Campbell Bowl; Dean's ups and downs

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...179,full.story

"I bring it home and I'm like, 'What am I doing to do with this?' " Leiweke said in an interview. "What if someone comes in to my car, breaks in and steals it? So I lock it up in my house. I haul it out and put it in my trunk the next morning.

"I'm driving around to various meetings that day and it suddenly occurs to me, it's probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, having the Campbell trophy in my trunk."

At least it didn't end up in the lost-and-found bin at Staples Center or at the bottom of somebody's swimming pool.

Kings President and General Manager Dean Lombardi didn't want possession, either, and so it didn't accompany the team back on its charter from Phoenix, especially because deeply superstitious hockey players will touch only the Stanley Cup.

Lombardi told Leiweke to keep it.

"I said, 'What? Keep it in my trunk? You want me to keep the trophy in my trunk for three weeks?' " Leiweke said. "I can't do that. Anyway, Luc [Robitaille] took it and did something with it and I don't want to know."

---

Following Lombardi's arrival, there were battles between the men along the way, Leiweke openly acknowledged.

"We didn't bring Dean in because I think he's the life of the party or a perfect fit to the corporate structure at AEG," Leiweke said. "He's not.

"Dean is brilliant and I mean brilliant at boxes and development and building a team. He is a builder and he's as good at it as anyone I've ever met. So we had a lot of bad days. We made some bad decisions and we did go about it, at times, the wrong way. But what maybe people now appreciate, six years ago, we started down a path with him.

"I hired Dean after one meeting. From that meeting on, 'I want to win the Cup. So help us win the Cup.' "

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Scottkmlps

Good read, thanks.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Cosmos

Tim,