HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Preds WJC Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Upchuck19

vCash: 500
I'm looking forward to the boxing day US verses the Russians, that will be a great one.

I'm glad to see TSN picking up the ESPN2 games and Canada can watch all the American games. Too bad ESPN could of picked up the TSN games pretty easy. But most American hockey fans probly don't want to watch the Canadian team anyways.

Old
12-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
I'm looking forward to the boxing day US verses the Russians, that will be a great one.

I'm glad to see TSN picking up the ESPN2 games and Canada can watch all the American games. Too bad ESPN could of picked up the TSN games pretty easy. But most American hockey fans probly don't want to watch the Canadian team anyways.
yea...its that Fox News way of thinking ... if its not american we won't watch it or buy it :mad:

Old
12-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
yea...its that Fox News way of thinking ... if its not american we won't watch it or buy it :mad:
I wasn't knocking anyone or any Americans, don't get me wrong. All I meant is hockey is as important to Canadians as probly basketball or football to Americans.

Old
12-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
I wasn't knocking anyone or any Americans, don't get me wrong. All I meant is hockey is as important to Canadians as probly basketball or football to Americans.
I know you're not knocking Americans ... I'm knocking the American networks for not picking up other North American based hockey teams ... same friggin Continent!

Old
12-24-2004, 11:01 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
I know you're not knocking Americans ... I'm knocking the American networks for not picking up other North American based hockey teams ... same friggin Continent!
sadly, espn plays what will sell. If they get better ratings for a poker tournament, they'll go with that. they're out to make money. it's sad that it's gotta be that way, but it is. Honestly, I'm surprised they're even playing the USA WJC games.

Old
12-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
sadly, espn plays what will sell. If they get better ratings for a poker tournament, they'll go with that. they're out to make money. it's sad that it's gotta be that way, but it is. Honestly, I'm surprised they're even playing the USA WJC games.
times like these, I wished I lived in Canada...I'm so dying for Hockey, any kind of Hockey right now

Old
12-24-2004, 10:44 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
times like these, I wished I lived in Canada...I'm so dying for Hockey, any kind of Hockey right now
indeed. could you imagine being able to see qmjhl/ohl/whl games televised??

Old
12-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Pred303

i'm perfectly happy where i am,and look on the bright side..we get to see suter and radulov go after each other tomorrow

Old
12-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Pred303

hey what time does the USA-Russian game begin tonight?

Old
12-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
hey what time does the USA-Russian game begin tonight?
7:30 PM Central

Old
12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Canada is scoring goals aren't they? 24 GF's in 3 games... And they seem to keep the other guys from scoring as well... what? 2 GA's in 3 games?

The US seems (in the last two) to score enough to win... so IF it comes down to the US vs. Canada (any thoughts that this may not happen?), how does the US beat the high scoring, high defending Canadians?

Old
12-29-2004, 10:02 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
Canada is scoring goals aren't they? 24 GF's in 3 games... And they seem to keep the other guys from scoring as well... what? 2 GA's in 3 games?

The US seems (in the last two) to score enough to win... so IF it comes down to the US vs. Canada (any thoughts that this may not happen?), how does the US beat the high scoring, high defending Canadians?
Play smart and physical in their own end, get great goaltending from Montoya, our forwards capitalize on their chances, and we get lucky. That's how it's going to have to happen (see last year).

Old
12-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Pred303

to be honest...as weak as the USA's defensive corps has looked,and as poor as the US's forwards have played defensively,and as much as Montoya has struggled in net,and as strong as Canada has looked offensively...i have no idea how they play with them right now...of course they said exactly the same thing last year until the US pulled out a miracle...if it comes down to it this year,Montoya will have to stand on his head for one game and Suter,Hagmeo and Borer will have to log about 30+ minutes of ice time each....but this USA team can do one thing better than last year,and that's put the puck in the net...so if you can just find a way to hold them defensively,anything is possible

Old
12-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think this years team is just incredibly fast, and we are going to have to utilize that speed to burn the Candians defensemen.....Montoya will have to play great, as well, but I think our speed will allow us to get by a circumspect goaltending position on the Canadian team.

12-29-2004, 10:34 AM
quartermaster29

So is Canada's low GA due to outstanding goaltending, outstanding defense, or poor offensive ability of their opponents?

Old
12-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Pred303

first i think the pool canada is in is considerably weaker than the Russian-American-Czeck pool...that helps,one of their opponents,Germany has to be the weakest team in the tournament for example....then they have so offensively dominated teams that they have given up few shots in the first two games(at the end of the second they had outshot germany 41-9 for instance)...their golatending just hasn't been tested yet,and virtually everyone(including canadians themselves)thinks that's the weakest link on this canadian team...now phaneuf and weber are certainly a great first d-line for sure.....will really be interesting to see if they play russia how these two will match up against an ovechkin line or a malkin-radulov-shirakov line...but to give credit canada appears to be quite deep defensively

Old
12-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
So is Canada's low GA due to outstanding goaltending, outstanding defense, or poor offensive ability of their opponents?
Playing the bottomfeeders of the league is likely the true reason.

Old
12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

disagree. belarus is weaker than germany as a whole, and the americans only made the swiss look like a good team. canada's success has had nothing to do with who they've played as to how well they've played. Glass isn't an exceptional goaltender, but he hasn't had to be. The defense is big, mean and physical...and so are their forwards. The USA's chances...should it get that far...will rise and fall completely with Montoya, because the defense won't be able to bail them out. THey might have to score 7 goals to do it.

Old
12-29-2004, 02:46 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
disagree. belarus is weaker than germany as a whole, and the americans only made the swiss look like a good team. canada's success has had nothing to do with who they've played as to how well they've played. Glass isn't an exceptional goaltender, but he hasn't had to be. The defense is big, mean and physical...and so are their forwards. The USA's chances...should it get that far...will rise and fall completely with Montoya, because the defense won't be able to bail them out. THey might have to score 7 goals to do it.
I actually told my nephew that the other night watching the US v Swiss game. I was trying to teach him the game and explained the teams in the tournament and how Canada has been scoring like crazy. I told him we will probably have to score 8 goals to beat Canada if/when we play them.

He's starting to like it and if he had a team closer/better than Florida (like if his area would have showed the Tampa games) he might be a bigger fan of the game by now.

Old
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I actually told my nephew that the other night watching the US v Swiss game. I was trying to teach him the game and explained the teams in the tournament and how Canada has been scoring like crazy. I told him we will probably have to score 8 goals to beat Canada if/when we play them.

He's starting to like it and if he had a team closer/better than Florida (like if his area would have showed the Tampa games) he might be a bigger fan of the game by now.

The Panthers have a bright future. Stud d-man in Jay Bouwmeester, dominant power forwards in Anthony Stewart and Nathan Horton, top notch goaltender in Roberto Luongo, some skilled forwards in guys like Kamil Kreps and Dany Roussin. I think they won't be as bad as they have been for long.

Old
12-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
and their jerseys are kinda cool too...

Old
12-29-2004, 09:20 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
The Panthers have a bright future. Stud d-man in Jay Bouwmeester, dominant power forwards in Anthony Stewart and Nathan Horton, top notch goaltender in Roberto Luongo, some skilled forwards in guys like Kamil Kreps and Dany Roussin. I think they won't be as bad as they have been for long.
And I just told him that he can see them (when they play) at his hometown on Fox Sports Net... so maybe I hooked another southerner!

Old
12-30-2004, 06:23 AM
Pred303

well..that last night was most...forgettable....suter joined in the fun with an awful turnover that gave them their 5th goal when he made a weak breakout pass attempt,otherwise i thought at times he was the only d-man that played worth a crap...the goalies for the US had a godawful game,including poor montoya giving up a goal on a shot from the redline that will be said to be the worst one in the tournament...and they will be right

funny thing is this loss doesn't really hurt the US...win today against the Czechs and the US finishes first in their pool and draws a bye,where if they would have won last night and lost today they might not have.....now if they lose today they'll finish 3rd in the pool but still go to the medal round

of course lose today,and the USA would be in Canada's bracket and have to beat them before the finals...not exactly where you would want to be given a choice

Last edited by Pred303: 12-30-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old
12-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Pred303

looking at the big pred picture in these games so far,the preds have done themselves proud...all four pred prospects have performed well so far and have done nothing but have their stock rise overall...weber,suter,radulov look to be as good as we hoped compared to all other junior prospects in the tourney..and shafigullin has played well for the Russians,probably better than we expected

all in all,an excellent tournament showcase for all 4 pred prospects here

Old
12-30-2004, 09:13 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
well..that last night was most...forgettable....suter joined in the fun with an awful turnover that gave them their 5th goal when he made a weak breakout pass attempt,otherwise i thought at times he was the only d-man that played worth a crap...the goalies for the US had a godawful game,including poor montoya giving up a goal on a shot from the redline that will be said to be the worst one in the tournament...and they will be right.
Yeah, Suter didn't have his best game, but he was still clearly USA's best Dman. I think the decision to leave Jack Johnson off the team is proving to be costly. Both Lee and Likens have been bad and Suter has found himself paired with them for a lot of the tournament. I think he tried to do too much against Belarus. Down 4-1, you have to start making things happen and he made a risky pass that didn't pay off. He has to be getting frustrated as he was on the ice for the first two goals, neither of which were his fault. One was a mistake by the other pointman (or high forward) who made a bad pass and then failed to hustle back to negate an oddman rush. And on the other goal, the Dman in front of the net failed to put a body on the Belarussian player and he scored.

Closed Thread