HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXII

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXII

Continue....

Last couple pf posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
He's not a 30 goal guy. He's only a 30 goal guy playing on the wing of two of the best players in the league. Remember Anson Carter? Taylor Pyatt?

Manny Malhotra was brought in as an elite defensive player, and he got 2.5 over 3 years. Burrows has way more offensive upside than Malhotra, and is more versatile, but he's not a 4 million dollar player. I think 3 mill per - maybe 3.5.

I mean, I am not going to go crazy if they pay him 4 - but I don't think Gillis will.
Burrows as a UFA this summer would get $4-4.5M very easily, if not more. With the cap looking to be at $70M, I wouldn't be surprised if he would get $5M on the open market. That being said, I think he will sign for another 3-4 years at $3-3.5M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I'd rather ditch Ballard for the cap space and just throw $8 million at Parise than acquire Nash for valuable assets and lose $7.8 million.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post49917929

05-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Dreamskull

vCash: 500
Schneider, Schroeder, Kassian or Jensen, 1st

for

Kane, Hjalmarsson

fair value?

Kane would look amazing next to kesler.

Booth, Kesler, Kane?

awesome.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post

for

Kane, Hjalmarsson

fair value?

Booth, Kesler, Kane?

awesome.
Won't happen because it's the Hawks.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:16 AM
CP

vCash: 699
There are too many retirees in Vancouver that Kane would abuse. Best not trade for him. It could be ugly. Unless you want the Kane from Winnipeg. That would be cool. That kid has some character. He's not the selfish immature cancer that the other Kane is. Hjalmarsson is way over valued. Absolutely nothing special about his game. Rather have Tanev in the top four.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:43 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post

for

Kane, Hjalmarsson

fair value?

Booth, Kesler, Kane?

awesome.
massive overpayment. Schneider is extremely valuable, and you want to include 2 of our top 3 prospects for a problem child and a 3-4 D man? Me thinks that Schroeder Kassian and Jensen might make a pretty nice line this year.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:00 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
massive overpayment. Schneider is extremely valuable, and you want to include 2 of our top 3 prospects for a problem child and a 3-4 D man? Me thinks that Schroeder Kassian and Jensen might make a pretty nice line this year.
It seems to me that there have been lots of SC Finalists over the years have had kid lines that have really added fuel to the fire. Love to see a third line like this.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:40 AM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Trading Schneider to Chicago would haunt the team for decades.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
It's obvious we need help up front - we need to get bigger and more skilled.

To get you need to give.

Except free agents - those are free. That cuts both ways - if you lose a player to free agency, you got nothing for him, you need to sign a free agent just to maintain the status quo asset wise.

Gillis can use the assets he has to acquire good assets in return, or to move bad contracts. Option #1 gives you a better team with some bad contracts. Option #2 gives you a weaker team with a clean contract slate. Good mgmt chooses option #1 and manages the bad contract situation.

Assuming a 69.3M cap (?), the lineup I'd go with going into the draft (Tallon can trade us the rights to Garrison and Sameulsson for 2 bags of pucks for all the favors Gillis has done for him):

CAPGEEK

Daniel $6.1 Henrik $6.1 Hansen $1.35
Burr $2.0 Kes $5.0 Samuelsson $2.5
Booth $4.2 tba tba
tba Pahlsson $1.6 Lapierre $1.0

Hamhuis $4.5 Bieksa $4.6
Garrison $3.8 Salo $2.0
Ballard $4.2 Rome $1.25

Luongo $5.3, Lack $0.86

CAP SPACE (17-man roster): $12,806,667

Assets available:

- Schneider
- Edler
- Tanev

- Higgins
- Raymond

- Jensen
- 1st round pick
- Schroeder

Old
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Dude, you missed the memo. We're keeping Schneider, Luongo's going bye bye.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
Dude, you missed the memo. We're keeping Schneider, Luongo's going bye bye.
You never know. Could be Lu could be Schnu.

Which ever one is gone I hope we get a good return.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:09 PM
GoTeamDom

Where did this Schnu business come from? Worst nickname ever.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I think trading Luongo for a top 5 pick and signing Parise should be our priorities. And get Garrison, if we can. Keep Ballard until his value goes up and trade him for anything else we feel we need during the season.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I think trading Luongo for a top 5 pick and signing Parise should be our priorities. And get Garrison, if we can. Keep Ballard until his value goes up and trade him for anything else we feel we need during the season.
If we could do these things it would be considered a HUGE success. Hell, even if we just get 1 of Parise OR the 5th overall pick I would be happy.

However, if all we do is deal Luongo for Ryan Malone, or something that resembles the slop that Leaf fans are proposing, and do nothing to upgrade our forward group I will consider this off-season a massive failure.

05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
There are too many retirees in Vancouver that Kane would abuse. Best not trade for him. It could be ugly. Unless you want the Kane from Winnipeg. That would be cool. That kid has some character. He's not the selfish immature cancer that the other Kane is. Hjalmarsson is way over valued. Absolutely nothing special about his game. Rather have Tanev in the top four.
I believe that it was pointed out in another thread that Evander Kane actually is every bit the jackass that Patrick Kane is. Well, maybe not every bit the jackass, but pretty close.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Basso

What do you guys think of Eric Fehr? Has alot of size, has scored 20 goals once and could be a good upgrade to MayRay. I don't think Jets will resign him next season.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
It's obvious we need help up front - we need to get bigger and more skilled.

To get you need to give.

Except free agents - those are free. That cuts both ways - if you lose a player to free agency, you got nothing for him, you need to sign a free agent just to maintain the status quo asset wise.

Gillis can use the assets he has to acquire good assets in return, or to move bad contracts. Option #1 gives you a better team with some bad contracts. Option #2 gives you a weaker team with a clean contract slate. Good mgmt chooses option #1 and manages the bad contract situation.

Assuming a 69.3M cap (?), the lineup I'd go with going into the draft (Tallon can trade us the rights to Garrison and Sameulsson for 2 bags of pucks for all the favors Gillis has done for him):

CAPGEEK

Daniel $6.1 Henrik $6.1 Hansen $1.35
Burr $2.0 Kes $5.0 Samuelsson $2.5
Booth $4.2 tba tba
tba Pahlsson $1.6 Lapierre $1.0

Hamhuis $4.5 Bieksa $4.6
Garrison $3.8 Salo $2.0
Ballard $4.2 Rome $1.25

Luongo $5.3, Lack $0.86

CAP SPACE (17-man roster): $12,806,667

Assets available:

- Schneider
- Edler
- Tanev

- Higgins
- Raymond

- Jensen
- 1st round pick
- Schroeder
If that is our projected top 6, and if Samuelsson is projected to be in our top 6 next year, we are ****ed.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:42 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If we could do these things it would be considered a HUGE success. Hell, even if we just get 1 of Parise OR the 5th overall pick I would be happy.

However, if all we do is deal Luongo for Ryan Malone, or something that resembles the slop that Leaf fans are proposing, and do nothing to upgrade our forward group I will consider this off-season a massive failure.
Ridding the team of the 5 million dollar cap hit and making Schneider the #1 would be a massive off season success, imo.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:43 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If that is our projected top 6, and if Samuelsson is projected to be in our top 6 next year, we are ****ed.
Why would Samuelsson come back? He was dumped to a dead end team by the Canucks last year (turned out they had a good year). In his mind, they gave up on him, so why would he return?

Old
05-20-2012, 02:46 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Ridding the team of the 5 million dollar cap hit and making Schneider the #1 would be a massive off season success, imo.
You don't know that. There is no clear upgrade.

And we get it you like Schneider over Luongo.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:50 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
You don't know that. There is no clear upgrade.

And we get it you like Schneider over Luongo.
No one knows anything here, guy.....last I checked I was allowed to speculate? I was replying to the post (which curiously you chose not to attack like mine) that stated that the same scenario would be a huge failure.

This is a good summary of the issues lots of us have with Luongo (from the Vancouver Sun today):

"Luongo’s postseason production is still constantly called into question. And in his past four playoffs, Luongo’s numbers aren’t exactly sparkling. His save percentages have been .914, .895, .914 and .891. Each year he’s dropped off from his regular season performance and suffered from wild swings in play. He’s had great highs, but fall-off-a-cliff lows.

It’s unfair to compare Luongo to the four goalies still playing, especially considering their backstopping more defensive teams. But they’ve all played better than they did in the regular season. Jonathan Quick has a .951 save percentage. Henrik Lundqvist and Mike Smith are both at .942. And Martin Brodeur is the low guy at .920.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz1vRPUfcaz

Old
05-20-2012, 03:06 PM
KISSland

Quote:
No one knows anything here, guy.....last I checked I was allowed to speculate? I was replying to the post (which curiously you chose not to attack like mine) that stated that the same scenario would be a huge failure.

This is a good summary of the issues lots of us have with Luongo (from the Vancouver Sun today):

"Luongo’s postseason production is still constantly called into question. And in his past four playoffs, Luongo’s numbers aren’t exactly sparkling. His save percentages have been .914, .895, .914 and .891. Each year he’s dropped off from his regular season performance and suffered from wild swings in play. He’s had great highs, but fall-off-a-cliff lows.

It’s unfair to compare Luongo to the four goalies still playing, especially considering their backstopping more defensive teams. But they’ve all played better than they did in the regular season. Jonathan Quick has a .951 save percentage. Henrik Lundqvist and Mike Smith are both at .942. And Martin Brodeur is the low guy at .920.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz1vRPUfcaz
I agree with Y2Ks opinion if all we get is Malone for Lu I'll be pissed off.

You know where this is heading.. Every time these threads get derailed. When one person initiates. This isn't a goalie thread and it's annoying to have to go through pages of discussion that should be in the other threads that are devoted to that subject.

That isn't just directed to you.

And I'm sorry if you felt attacked.

Anyways, I think if we could get Connolly, Detroits 1st for Luongo and a 2nd. I'll be pretty content.

Connolly has the opportunity to thrive in top 9. He'd be the most skilled forward we have aside from the Sedins. And he's a pure offensive player that would get a ton of time on the 2nd PP unit.

Detroits 1st for our 2nd cause I think Luongo for just Connolly wouldn't be enough.

If we get Garrisson and a top 6 player I would be thrilled.

Also getting Sammuelsson to play with the Sedins and bumping Burrows to the 3rd line would be great depth.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:10 PM
crazyforhockey

Overall we can tinker and be a very scary team....there seems to the potential for significant change(ie goaltending-player coming etc)

ideally by the time the draft is over we will have our goaltending situation solved----no carryover...as mush as I like both goalies...think its best that Luo has a new home...just due to the neg reactions and press clippings(mostly unfair) that would dog this team.

schneider gets his deal and is #1....Im comfortable with either Lack or a top notch back up

ideally its the defence that needs the adjustment with the aquistion of a solid top three guy.

Bieksa,hamhuis
edler,____
Tanev,_____Salo?

ballard? Garrison,shutlz, as possible canidates..... thinking beyond the top guy(s) in suter weber...due to actuall avaliabilty.

beyond our core we have a lot of variables in Kassian,jensen,schreoder before we even think of FAs.....I do think by draft day two we will have a clear idea of where the mgt team is going.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Kesler2012

What do you guys think of Canucks trading for Josh Bailey?

Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 190
Shoots: Left
Born: Oct 2, 1989 (Age 22)
Birthplace: Bowmanville, ON, Canada

GP-80
G-13
A-19
P-32

Would be a good third Line centre for us and play on the 2nd Unit PP or even play of Keslers Wing. Is know to be a playmaker and i think could thrive in Vancouver. He has had a rough time in NYI playing for 4 years and been a 30 point player. They need a Top 4 dman so maybe

Ballard for Bailey

Old
05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2012 View Post
What do you guys think of Canucks trading for Josh Bailey?

Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 190
Shoots: Left
Born: Oct 2, 1989 (Age 22)
Birthplace: Bowmanville, ON, Canada

GP-80
G-13
A-19
P-32

Would be a good third Line centre for us and play on the 2nd Unit PP or even play of Keslers Wing. Is know to be a playmaker and i think could thrive in Vancouver. He has had a rough time in NYI playing for 4 years and been a 30 point player. They need a Top 4 dman so maybe

Ballard for Bailey
I don't know much about Bailey but I think the Islanders are a pretty likely destination for Ballard should MG choose to trade him. 3 years @ 4.2m for what Ballard can bring has to be attractive to any team that has to overpay to land UFA's.

Old
05-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Trading Schneider rather than Luongo has to be a consideration if it means a much better return.

Last edited by Outside99*: 05-20-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Closed Thread