2012 Draft Discussion - Part II

Continue here.

Link to Part I.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Holden I will agree to disagree on Thrower. I would not want to burn a first round pick on Dumba where he is projected because I like the other options better but I would be ok with taking a shot in the second round on a 6'0" player that will round out to be 200 pounds when he matures. They use Bieksa or Letang for comps on him and although that is ambitious I do like his upside and his attitude. I think he would bully star players and that is not a bad thing. Both Letang and Bieksa are effective physically by picking their spots against medium sized players and there is a place for that. My parents are from Saskatoon and from what I have seen of Thrower and the friends i have talked to about him I would be cool with Dalton at 38-39 if it breaks that way.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Holden I will agree to disagree on Thrower. I would not want to burn a first round pick on Dumba where he is projected because I like the other options better but I would be ok with taking a shot in the second round on a 6'0" player that will round out to be 200 pounds when he matures. They use Bieksa or Letang for comps on him and although that is ambitious I do like his upside and his attitude. I think he would bully star players and that is not a bad thing. Both Letang and Bieksa are effective physically by picking their spots against medium sized players and there is a place for that. My parents are from Saskatoon and from what I have seen of Thrower and the friends i have talked to about him I would be cool with Dalton at 38-39 if it breaks that way.
agreed, if we take a forward at 9, Throwers the guy i want with the second pick (if he's available).

I like your logic and agree totally, wehn your picking at 38-39, i'm more interested in taking that little bit of risk.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:44 PM
leafster7
Leafs and Jets fan

I have a feeling that Dumba might be a first round bust. That is why I have a feeling the Leafs will draft him instead of someone like Grigorenko or Forsberg.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:47 PM
leafster7
Leafs and Jets fan

Like I said before, the Jets need to draft the best forward available at the 9th spot. Unless you're sure that Griffin Reinhart is going to turn out to be another Nick Lidstrom or Rob Blake the best bet is the best available forward.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafster7 View Post
Like I said before, the Jets need to draft the best forward available at the 9th spot. Unless you're sure that Griffin Reinhart is going to turn out to be another Nick Lidstrom or Rob Blake the best bet is the best available forward.
Unless Trouba is there. I think he has tremendous upside. Going to college for a couple of years too, can work on his game.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafster7 View Post
Jets need to draft the best player available regardless of position. In the unlikely event of not having room for guys coming up, you make use of your assets at that point.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The only forward around #9 I would take is Faksa (assuming Teravainen is gone by that point).

Rielly would be my preferred defenseman at #9.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:08 PM
PitbulI

Does anyone think the Jets might try to trade up? Perhaps try to swing something with either Edmonton or Montreal?

While Dumba could fit into the Jets plan nicely as he will most likely be a good defenceman, We need a centre and I'd rather grab a top 5 player at center than something out of what's left a centre at number 9.

I might totally be out to lunch here as this is my first year ever really caring about the draft(Wasn't enough time last year and didn't care about the draft in my teens before the Jets left)

Old
05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
mondo3

I think these are our top prospects:
LW:Klingberg, Gregoire
RW: Machacek
C: Scheifele, Cormier, Telegin
D: Postma

From this list, I'd say we're strongest at C.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:38 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

And weak at RW. Somehow I don't see Wellwood in our long term plans, and traditionally he's been a 3rd line guy.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post

I'd list Telegin as a winger. He had a strong season in Barie playing on the wing.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
PitbulI

So it would be in the Jets best interest to get someone like Dumba with their first pick if available?

Old
05-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
The only forward around #9 I would take is Faksa (assuming Teravainen is gone by that point).

Rielly would be my preferred defenseman at #9.
Not me. I have no interest in Reilly at 9, there is plenty of some completely one dimensional defensemen available at 39 (I am looking at you Pouliot) and lots of more well rounded prospects in that range (Schmaltz, Bystrom, McCabe, Matheson, Pokka) to ever consider Reilly for the #9 spot. At very best he is a #2/3 ala Oleg Tverdovsky IMO, not worth a top 10 pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Meh, Thrower is not for me. He is undersized for the game he plays, and although you gotta love the tenacity, I don't see his skills translating to a core player at the NHL level. I think with his tenacity, determination and skill he will for sure be a solid bottom pairing guy, but at #38/39 I am looking for more upside, IMO. His offensive game I just do not see translating to the NHL very well, but I guess I could be wrong. If he becomes a Bieksa (he has no chance to come close to Letang, IMO) he would be a fine 2nd rounder, but I just don't see it with him.

Quote:

Telegin is a winger at the next level. And you gotta consider that ages of the roster as well. Not to mention that 2/4 years down the road when this pick will be expected to make an impact the depth chart will be COMPLETELY different. For example look at the Fall 2008 hockeys future top 20 prospects for Atlanta, where the hell are half these guys? http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2008/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitbulI View Post
So it would be in the Jets best interest to get someone like Dumba with their first pick if available?
Goddammit no. **** Dumba. I will be so upset if we take him. His game projects terribly to the NHL level, hell I'd take guys like Gaunce, Girgensons, Ceci above him at this point (I know I DID have him listed above those players, but really he should have been lower I caved to popular rankings). We should get one of my top 9 (Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galyenchuk, Faksa, Trouba, Teravainen, Reinhart) I will not be happy with either Reilly or Dumba(especially Dumba ).

Old
05-29-2012, 12:33 AM
mondo3

Quote:
Goddammit no. **** Dumba. I will be so upset if we take him. His game projects terribly to the NHL level, hell I'd take guys like Gaunce, Girgensons, Ceci above him at this point (I know I DID have him listed above those players, but really he should have been lower I caved to popular rankings). We should get one of my top 9 (Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galyenchuk, Faksa, Trouba, Teravainen, Reinhart) I will not be happy with either Reilly or Dumba(especially Dumba ).
Cheveldayoff has implied he wants a big team; I suspect we'll go with someone 6'+ (especially in D), so that would eliminate Dumba and Reilly. The top 4 guys in your list will likely be gone before our pick, so that leaves us with the following list. (I left Teravainen who is under 6'):

Trouba, Jacob, RD 2/26/94 R 6.02 196 USA Under-18 NTDP
Teravainen, Teuvo, LW, 9/11/94 L 5.11 161 Jokerit FinE
Ceci, Cody, RD 12/21/93 R 6.02.5 207 Ottawa OHL
Reinhart, Griffin, LD 1/24/94 L 6.03.75 207 Edmonton WHL
Galchenyuk, Alexander, RW 2/12/94 L 6.00.5 198 Sarnia OHL
Faksa, Radek, LW 1/9/94 L 6.03 202 Kitchener OHL

Last edited by mondo3: 05-29-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old
05-29-2012, 12:46 AM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Cheveldayoff has implied he wants a big team; I suspect we'll go with someone 6'+ (especially in D), so that would eliminate Dumba and Reilly. The top 4 guys in your list will likely be gone before our pick, so that leaves us with the following list. (I left Teravainen who is under 6'):

Trouba, Jacob, RD 2/26/94 R 6.02 196 USA Under-18 NTDP
Teravainen, Teuvo, LW, 9/11/94 L 5.11 161 Jokerit FinE
Ceci, Cody, RD 12/21/93 R 6.02.5 207 Ottawa OHL
Reinhart, Griffin, LD 1/24/94 L 6.03.75 207 Edmonton WHL
Galchenyuk, Alexander, RW 2/12/94 L 6.00.5 198 Sarnia OHL
Faksa, Radek, LW 1/9/94 L 6.03 202 Kitchener OHL
Drafting based on size alone is a terrible idea. Size should be used a tie-breaker if you have two player between whom you can't decide. Not when you have one player who is clearly more skilled (in our case Reilly compared to the other defenseman in our range). If we manage to get either Teravainen or Reilly from this draft I'll be celebrating

Old
05-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Drafting based on size alone is a terrible idea. Size should be used a tie-breaker if you have two player between whom you can't decide. Not when you have one player who is clearly more skilled (in our case Reilly compared to the other defenseman in our range). If we manage to get either Teravainen or Reilly from this draft I'll be celebrating
Really? Let's count Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Forsberg, Galyenchuk all completely out, since there is no chance any of them fall to #9. So out of Faksa, Trouba, Reinhart, Teravainen, Reilly, Dumba, Gaunce, Girgensons, Ceci you are CELEBRATING with Teravainen or Reilly? If we do not take one of Faksa, Trouba, Reinhart, Teravainen I am SUPER disappointed. Those are easily the best available in our spot. If we get Teravainen or Reilly it's a meh ok good. If we get a Murray or Grigorenko, THEN it's time to celebrate!

Old
05-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I'll pop a bottle of champagne if we draft Reinhart.

Probably won't drink it though. Don't like champagne.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:00 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Easy Holden. I think you should take a step back with the seriousness here. It'll be ok. lol I promise.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
leafster7
Leafs and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitbulI View Post
In other news, the old Jets could have drafted Tom Glavine in the fourth round in 1984 (yes, that Tom Glavine). Instead, he chose to play for the Atlanta Braves in the MLB (instead of the LA Kings). Maybe if the old Jets drafted Glavine he might have opted for the NHL rather than the MLB and who knows how successful the old Jets could have been.

Anyway, no, I don't think Dumba would be in the best interest for the current Jets.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Not me. I have no interest in Reilly at 9, there is plenty of some completely one dimensional defensemen available at 39 (I am looking at you Pouliot) and lots of more well rounded prospects in that range (Schmaltz, Bystrom, McCabe, Matheson, Pokka) to ever consider Reilly for the #9 spot. At very best he is a #2/3 ala Oleg Tverdovsky IMO, not worth a top 10 pick.
I've seen you post about Reilly a couple times and I'm not sure where you're getting the info that he's one dimensional from? Sure he's got the best offensive upside of all the d-men available, but his defensive game is a lot better than you're giving him credit for. There's definitely a reason why he hasn't been downgraded on most lists (even after his injury) and that's because of his elite talent on the back end.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Rheged
JMFT

New McKeen's mock has us taking Hampus Lindholm which seems a little odd, don't think I've seen him ranked/placed top-10 anywhere prior to this.

Link.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
New McKeen's mock has us taking Hampus Lindholm which seems a little odd, don't think I've seen him ranked/placed top-10 anywhere prior to this.

Link.
Yakupov at #3?

Old
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I see a lot of similarities between Reilly and Letang and that excites me if the possibility of landing him at #9 is there. Reilly will be a far better player than Oleg Tverdovsky ever was.

Liking Reilly for what he brings and Trouba for what he brings, but would not be terribly disappointed with Reinhart or Lindholm either. I know Lindholm may scare some away because he's not always been a consensus Top 10 pick, but there's something about the Swedes and the defensemen they continue to churn out. OEL was a late riser during his draft year ... just saying.

DO NOT WANT DUMBA AT ALL

If a forward is our guy, I want it to be Faksa, Teravainen or Girgensons. I'd steer clear of Grigorenko.

Girgensons doesn't seem to get a lot of love around here yet he is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I think in a few years he will be a terrific player in the NHL. One with all the intangibles a team could ever ask for, not to mention the loads of skill he already possesses to go along with his brute strength. I'm betting several teams will be regretting the decision to pass on this kid.

At #39 I wouldn't mind Kerdiles (doubt he's still available), Maidens, or Nieves.

Last edited by untouchable21: 05-29-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Random thought re; the defenseman of this draft. I think Cody Ceci could be one of the better defenseman out of this draft when it's all said and done. I've been a supporter of Reinhart (or Trouba) but to be honest, I am most comfortable with Ceci with all things considered. His defensive game is as good as anyones in the draft in my opinion, his offensive game is quite good, and he doesn't mind or shy away from physical play. He has great size too, and every time I watch him I can't believe how wide his shoulders are, kid has a pretty huge upper body.

And a nice fact about Ceci too is, he's had 3 years OHL experience under his belt to date. He'll likely play this season in the OHL (his 4th) and then he can either play in the AHL or be ready for the NHL.

So there it is, random thought of the day and for really no rhyme or reason, but Ceci is tops on my list in terms of defenseman in this draft. He's got the all-around game that I think many of these defenseman are lacking at this stage, and I think he'll round out as one of the better defenseman from this draft class.