HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To what extent would the Jets match an offer sheet to Kane?

Old
06-18-2012, 04:26 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
To what extent would the Jets match an offer sheet to Kane?

Just wondering what you guys thought the Jets brass would do if Kane received an offer sheet in the 5 million dollar range? When do the Jets say "you can take him"? Or do they match any offer?

Thanks, guys.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:58 AM
almostawake

vCash: 500
They'd match. The Jets will match pretty much any offer sheet of Kane.

If the rumors are true and Kane does indeed want out, just about the worst thing he could do is sign an offer sheet.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:01 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Just wondering what you guys thought the Jets brass would do if Kane received an offer sheet in the 5 million dollar range? When do the Jets say "you can take him"? Or do they match any offer?

Thanks, guys.
I would match anything, honestly. Force any bidding club to fork over the four first round picks.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Inflict
Viking

I think the limit is $7,835,219. Anything above that would give us four 1st round picks and I would take that any day for any player except Crosby, Stamkos, or Malkin.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:57 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

anything less then 4 firsts probably gets matched.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
If the rumors are true and Kane does indeed want out, just about the worst thing he could do is sign an offer sheet.
This. If the Jets choose to match the offer sheet, he can't be traded for a year.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:39 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Anything less than the 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, $6.3M/yr, easily gets matched. From $6.3M/yr to $7.8M/yr I think it depends on the club that offers the deal since, correct me if I'm wrong, the picks the Jets would get come from the team making the offer sheet - two late 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd in any draft year likely only yield two roster players years later and none of them would be likely to turn out as impact players like Kane. If those are two mid-early first rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd, I think they'd definitely consider waiving their right to match.

This is all extremely hypothetical though. I don't see any team making an offer sheet over $6.3M, nor do I think any team even bothers making one under $6.3M since they'd realize the Jets would match.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:41 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This. If the Jets choose to match the offer sheet, he can't be traded for a year.
Good to know. I really don't see it happening then.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
anything less then 4 firsts probably gets matched.
This.

And even then I think it would be tough to take 4 firsts if you are getting them from a team most likely to be drafting 25+ every year.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
This.

And even then I think it would be tough to take 4 firsts if you are getting them from a team most likely to be drafting 25+ every year.
...So we hope that the Oilers offer him a boatload of Money?

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
But with that much skill in the top-6 they're bound to dominate the league for years, regardless of the rest of the team

Old
06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Whoever did it we would have to hope they were one of the bottom teams (Edmonton, Columbus, Toronto, NYI, etc), and then we would keep our fingers crossed that they stayed near the bottom.

We would be that teams biggest haters.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
It's pretty rare anyone gets offered. I would be shocked if Kane signed an offer sheet from another team. Cause everyone knows it will be matched.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Anything less than the 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, $6.3M/yr, easily gets matched. From $6.3M/yr to $7.8M/yr I think it depends on the club that offers the deal since, correct me if I'm wrong, the picks the Jets would get come from the team making the offer sheet - two late 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd in any draft year likely only yield two roster players years later and none of them would be likely to turn out as impact players like Kane. If those are two mid-early first rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd, I think they'd definitely consider waiving their right to match.

This is all extremely hypothetical though. I don't see any team making an offer sheet over $6.3M, nor do I think any team even bothers making one under $6.3M since they'd realize the Jets would match.
This. Summed up EVERYTHING. Perfect post really.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
I don't really like Kane, I dunno. He has yet to do anything to ingratiate himself to the city or the fans and I guess I just would like to see someone play here who wants to play here.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
Other teams wouldn't bother even attempting to sign Kane to an offer sheet. It's looked at as boosting player salaries, which GM's don't really enjoy doing. If another team attempts to sign Kane to a huge offer sheet and succeeds, then you can bet that we will fire back by offering offer sheets to every RFA that team would have...

It gets messy, teams won't touch him, and we will qualify him.

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
I don't really like Kane, I dunno. He has yet to do anything to ingratiate himself to the city or the fans and I guess I just would like to see someone play here who wants to play here.
Didn't he do some blogging for the Free Press?

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
I don't really see much of a chance that this latest rumor is true that Kane is not going to negotiate as his agent has said that they were going to do just that this weekend.

That being said, I COULD actually see TNSE deciding that they wanted to move Kane at some point in the next 2-3 years if they feel like he is not the right fit.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Other teams wouldn't bother even attempting to sign Kane to an offer sheet. It's looked at as boosting player salaries, which GM's don't really enjoy doing. If another team attempts to sign Kane to a huge offer sheet and succeeds, then you can bet that we will fire back by offering offer sheets to every RFA that team would have...

It gets messy, teams won't touch him, and we will qualify him.
HP gets it.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

IF a team did want to get messy the Jets would be the wrong team to mess with. One would think that a team would try to take advantage of a team that is in a bad position in terms of resigning a player (aka Hjalmarsson CHI and SJ) the Hawks were in trouble against the cap - the Jets have plenty of room. Or a team thinks a team can't afford it (Oilers and Vanek) grossly overpaid but I believe the thinking was the Sabres were in trouble financially and wouldn't match. The Jets have very deep pockets and would definitely spend to keep Kane.

Becel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post
IF a team did want to get messy the Jets would be the wrong team to mess with. One would think that a team would try to take advantage of a team that is in a bad position in terms of resigning a player (aka Hjalmarsson CHI and SJ) the Hawks were in trouble against the cap - the Jets have plenty of room. Or a team thinks a team can't afford it (Oilers and Vanek) grossly overpaid but I believe the thinking was the Sabres were in trouble financially and wouldn't match. The Jets have very deep pockets and would definitely spend to keep Kane.
Holy cow I hate Jamie Macoun too

Back to your point: I'd be happy to give whatever Kane wanted (within reason) if it seemed like he was interested in being a part of what they're building here. I want to feel warm and fuzzy about the guy... I really do.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote