Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Bob's list is the best out there, it's a consensus of real NHL scouts and it's done just a few days before the draft.
Completely agreed, it is 10x better than ANY other list, IMO.

Surprised to see Grigorenko as low as he is. I like the list so far though, looks solid. Collberg slides to 27, can't say I'm surprised. Laughton is name coming up a lot lately, wow. Interesting.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 06-18-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Bob ranking Trouba to 9th spot, as have so many other done too. Damn, I love this kid. Let's just draft him. Ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
Jacob is an initiating player who takes charge. It begins with an intense desire to impact the game in some way. He takes charge of situations and if an opponent is not prepared to commit 100% versus him, he will find himself falling short. He is a very strong skater, with excellent balance & this allows him to jump into the attack and move up ice but it also allows him to deliver 'bone jarring' hits as well as fend off opposing checks. With his size and skating combination, he's a very difficult player to break down defensively and to gain the upper hand on. Very good understanding of the game and his awareness and poise allows him to make strong plays under pressure. He moves the puck well and can make plays offensively but his best offensive weapon is a heavy shot that can overwhelm goalies and creates challenges for them in terms of corralling it. He thrives in the competitive moments and the bigger the game, the better he is. He plays to win and there is no sacrifice he won't make in the game to help his team win.
That's why I want to draft him. You are in better position with Trouba than without him.

Old
06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Craig Button is playing 1/2 the GM's in the TSN mock draft tmw...is there any point in watching? I bet WPG will take Subban at 9 cause it'll be such a steal they couldn't pass on him

Old
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
MrWigglez

I wouldn't mind seeing us pick Grigorenko at 9. Someone who used to be ranked 2nd but had some health problems that brought him down.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Bob's list is the best out there, it's a consensus of real NHL scouts and it's done just a few days before the draft.

And according to his pool of scouts, Grigorenko and Faksa will both be on the table at 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Completely agreed, it is 10x better than ANY other list, IMO.

Surprised to see Grigorenko as low as he is. I like the list so far though, looks solid. Collberg slides to 27, can't say I'm surprised. Laughton is name coming up a lot lately, wow. Interesting.
Agree, Bob's rankings are top notch. Pretty well bang on give or take a spot or few. This is going to be quite an interesting draft given how unoredictable it is. I am excited.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:19 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigglez View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing us pick Grigorenko at 9. Someone who used to be ranked 2nd but had some health problems that brought him down.
Couturier was ranked #1 at a point last year.. We ignored that as well..

So, who is it between 14th-19th in Bob's list that has the most Character?

Old
06-18-2012, 07:46 PM
MrWigglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Couturier was ranked #1 at a point last year.. We ignored that as well..

So, who is it between 14th-19th in Bob's list that has the most Character?
True.. We did ignore someone that was highly ranked and slipped down didn't we.. Oh well anything can happen eh! lol..

Old
06-18-2012, 08:12 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

One thing that might come into play with regards to Grigorenko is the fact that Burmistrov is already an integral part of our team and Telegin is our second best prospect. Russian players out of the CHL are already going to be a big part of a future, so why not make it a trifecta with Grigorenko?

Old
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Sweech
COYS!

As much talent as Grigs has I think we'd be just another team that passes him on if he fell to us. It would create more in the Couturier/Grigorenko fold of us passing on talent, but hey that happens.

The reason I think this is because of the values TNSE wants. They want character and hard work and the main reason Grigs has dropped is those very character values have come into question when concerning Grigs. I think it will be a damn shame, but atleast all other fans can't throw the "he was the consensus pick" in our faces on this one.

That and we don't scout the QMJHL a whole lot.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

After seeing Bob McKenzie's rankings, I cannot believe Grigorenko fell to #12. As much as I want him, I really don't see him slipping past #5.

BM also has Tanner Pearson ranked #29. Here's hoping 10 teams decide to pass on him so we can take him at #39.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Wpgpage

If Grigs is there at 9 you have to take him, character concerns or not he has to much talent for a team like the Jets to pass up.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:05 PM
drumzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigglez View Post
True.. We did ignore someone that was highly ranked and slipped down didn't we.. Oh well anything can happen eh! lol..
If you're looking for character and the best teammate money can buy in this draft, who may be available in the 14-19 range, it's Hampus Lindholm. He may also be arguably one of the best skaters in the draft.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Hampus Lindholm!

...I just enjoy shouting it.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
After seeing Bob McKenzie's rankings, I cannot believe Grigorenko fell to #12. As much as I want him, I really don't see him slipping past #5.

BM also has Tanner Pearson ranked #29. Here's hoping 10 teams decide to pass on him so we can take him at #39.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
If Grigs is there at 9 you have to take him, character concerns or not he has to much talent for a team like the Jets to pass up.
Eerily familiar to last year in the sense that It was speculated (like Grigs this year) that Couturier had mono as well? I have had mono and it sucks the strength and energy out of you.

Last edited by ps241: 06-18-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 10:19 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
If you're looking for character and the best teammate money can buy in this draft, who may be available in the 14-19 range, it's Hampus Lindholm. He may also be arguably one of the best skaters in the draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Hampus Lindholm!

...I just enjoy shouting it.
Lindholm feels like a Jet......loved his interview that was posted here a few weeks back. for me he is a sleeper pick for us in the sense that I wouldn't be suprised to see us grab him at #9. Hampus has size, speed, and huge character (IMHO) and those are all top assets Chevy covets.

My first D choice besides Murray has always been Trouba and I was jacked to see him at #9 on Bob's list if he is there and we take him I would be thrilled.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
razorsedge

I'm sold on Trouba. He may not have the offensive ability we need right now, but would be a solid d-man with potential for leadership early in his career. I could see Stuart being a perfect mentor for him in his first season if he makes the team.

I hope we draft him.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Grigorenko may have boat loads of skill his character has been questioned. Now if that is true in the eyes of our scouts, I see them passing on him even if it is a forward they covet. They're more likely to take Faksa or Girgensons if that is the case.

I personally would rather pass on a player of questionable character than have a frustrating, underachieving talent that would drive me nuts on most nights. Would be like having Semin.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:54 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If we pass on Grigorenko due to attitude issues, that would be fine. However, if we pass on him due to the "Russian factor", I'd be upset.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
If we pass on Grigorenko due to attitude issues, that would be fine. However, if we pass on him due to the "Russian factor", I'd be upset.
The two aren't as disconnected as you suggest here.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Lindholm feels like a Jet......loved his interview that was posted here a few weeks back. for me he is a sleeper pick for us in the sense that I wouldn't be suprised to see us grab him at #9. Hampus has size, speed, and huge character (IMHO) and those are all top assets Chevy covets.

My first D choice besides Murray has always been Trouba and I was jacked to see him at #9 on Bob's list if he is there and we take him I would be thrilled.
I'm on board with all of this exactly -- since someone (sorry I can't remember who) pointed out Lindholm on this board I have to admit he definitely seems like a Jet. He seems remarkably mature and well-grounded, and seems like he'd fit right in with both our AHL and our NHL rooms, and probably do well in Winnipeg (and stay out of trouble, haha).

I realize at this point I'm just repeating the same things we've been saying forever but something has to pass the days until Friday!

Old
06-19-2012, 03:40 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Hey, btw Trouba keeps blog on the NHL's site: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10115

One idea what came to my mind is trading up from 39 to somewhere near 20-25 and draft Sebastian Collberg, if available. A great, Loui Eriksson-kind of, winger from Sweden. Would be a nice addition to our forwards.

At 9th pick: Jacob Trouba (even if Grigorenko is available)

and then

at 22nd pick: Sebastian Collberg

I would be a happy man after that.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Sweech
COYS!

I know a lot of you really like Bob's list, but Down Goes Brown has released theirs with a ton of extra insight that you may not have had before.

Quote:
Nail Yakupov - The consensus top pick has recently added a previously unseen physical aspect to his game, according to all those holes he punched in his wall after watching the Oilers win the draft lottery.

Alex Galchenyuk - Impressed scouts at the combine by showing off his surgically repaired left knee, although some admit they'd have felt even better if it hadn't been inside a jar with holes poked in the lid.

Ryan Murray - The young blueliner has been described as a perfect fit for the New York Islanders, so apparently he's really good at turning to the referee and saying "I think our goalie's bones just exploded".

Filip Forsberg - Is often incorrectly assumed to be related to former NHL star Peter Forsberg, which is understandable since he's Swedish, an excellent two-way center, and retired from hockey four separate times last season.

Morgan Rielly - His skating skill has consistently been described as being off the charts, proving once and for all that NHL teams should really think about investing in some larger charts.

Mikhail Grigorenko - Is among the draft's most talented players but has seen his stock fall due to lingering questions about his work ethic, which is concerning because teenagers are normally so strong in that area.

Teuvo Teravainen - Has several head scouts pushing hard for their teams to select him in the first round, since a careful review of all available prospects reveals that his name would be the most fun to say into a microphone in front of thousands of people.

Radek Faksa - Experts have cautioned that it's unrealistic to expect him to be ready to step in a play in the NHL right away, since the season doesn't start for several months.

Griffin Reinhart - If the name sounds familiar it's because he was one of the best all-around defensemen in WHL last season and/or it's what you call your chaotic-neutral paladin character in Dungeons & Dragons.

Mathew Dumba - Has a reputation for delivering crushing open-ice body checks, which should make him extra valuable during the next few years when those are still legal.

Zemgus Girgensons - While scouts' opinions aren't unanimous, is still generally considered to be one of the three or four best Zemguses available in this year's draft.

Stefan Matteau - Is the son of former NHL player Stephane Matteau, who apparently decided to give him the same first name but spelled it differently and we're all just supposed to be OK with this.

Olli Maatta - Has been the subject of intense trade speculation, as rumors swirl that he may be willing to pull the trigger on the long-rumored deal to send one of his extra vowels to Martin Frk.

Henrik Samuelsson - Has been following in the footsteps of his father Ulf, which is tricky since it involves a lot of stepping over hockey players who are rolling around in agony while clutching their knees.

Malcolm Subban - The consensus top goaltender in the draft would be an ideal pick for the Maple Leafs, since from a young age he's had extensive experience dealing with an incredibly aggravating PK.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2012/06...t-preview.html

Old
06-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

This was definitly my favorite:

Quote:
Olli Maata: Has been the subject of intense trade speculation, as rumors swirl that he may be willing to pull the trigger on the long-rumored deal to send one of his extra vowels to Martin Frk.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
This was definitly my favorite:
I agree. It was my favourite as well.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Pretty good read, although we've heard much of it before.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398728

Quote:
"We want to build for the now and for the future," he said. "If drafting a player accomplishes that or trading the pick that helps you for the now and the future, it's something we'll look at. Trading simply for the now is something that isn't what we're looking for."

There's also the free agent market come July 1, if the draft doesn't give the Jets the opportunity they need.

"We're going to explore all options to continue to move this team forward," he said.

League chatter always ratchets up around this time of year.

"There's been lots of conversations from various other teams and general managers on various different topics," he said. "I expect as we get closer to the actual draft day that some interesting and intriguing opportunities could present themselves and if they do, we'll look at them."

So far, it seems the right opportunity hasn't presented itself.

"Right now, we're preparing ourselves that we're going to draft a player at our pick, but again all those things can change with one phone call."

Closed Thread