Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
The website articles are written by people that don't exactly have an inside track.

They're close to the team, but it only means they can guess better than the rest of us.
indeed, i would assume no one inolved in PR and communications is exactly a "confidant" of the gm on his drafting strategy

Old
06-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Huffer

vCash: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
The video I've seen of him, he's flashy, no doubt. You got to like his skill, but I haven't seen him battle (or win battles) for pucks or play defensively. He's small (slight), but nifty. Playing against men as a 17 year old he will lose battles, understood, but some are writing Scheifele off as 'too weak' and he's bigger and stronger than TT.

Playing on the big ice suits TT well. Lots of room to maneuver. Not sure how he would like his face up against the glass every shift in the NHL. Not saying his game can't translate or he won't change, I'm not sure the Jets would pick him if there was a more known commodity (CHL prospect) there when they pick.

If he's solely a perimeter player, we'll be complaining about him on these boards for yrs.
I agree with what you said above.

The one wildcard for TT is that he is so young for this draft. A few more weeks and he would be in the 2013 draft.

Granted, you don't know for sure what his end size will be, but being so young I can see a team taking the chance that he will have at least moderate growth when they already look at his skill.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Interesting.

On the Jets website, they have features on Galchenyuk, Pearson and Sissons - so far.
They also had one with Morgan Rielly earlier. If not for the fact that they were written by the Jets writers, I wouldn't even have known that the Jets were the ones asking the questions. Pretty standard interviews IMO.

The Pearson interview is a little different. He actually talks about Winnipeg, Scheifele, Telegin, Hawerchuk, etc.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree with what you said above.

The one wildcard for TT is that he is so young for this draft. A few more weeks and he would be in the 2013 draft.

Granted, you don't know for sure what his end size will be, but being so young I can see a team taking the chance that he will have at least moderate growth when they already look at his skill.
I agree, his age is appealing.

I'm trying to think of a player he reminds me of, and the Patrick Kane comparisons might be close.

I'm just not sure he turns into the next P Kane, though if he did, that's a very good pick.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
indeed, i would assume no one inolved in PR and communications is exactly a "confidant" of the gm on his drafting strategy
True.

Just interesting that a guy picked to go in 20's would be featured, as the Jets would have little shot at drafting him in 2nd rd, and he's a stretch at #9.

Wouldn't there be a host of other guys - reinhart, ceci, faksa, gaunce, etc - that would seem to be more likely their pick at 9. Why not write about them first?

Old
06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
jigglysquishy

Anybody thinking Reinhart drops to 9? Having a top-4 with Buff, Bogo, Enstrom and Reinhart would be awesome.

Old
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Anybody thinking Reinhart drops to 9? Having a top-4 with Buff, Bogo, Enstrom and Reinhart would be awesome.

I'm not sold on Reinhardt. I really didn't get into his hype this season with the Oil Kings. And he looked like **** in the mem cup but so did the rest of his team. I hope we snag samuelson in the second round. Pearson would be nice but he won't be available at 39.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I'd much rather have Henrik Samuelsson. He's a Lucic type player who, if he worked on his skating, could be just as good as Lucic.
Poor comparison. He's not a Lucic type player. There's only 1 Lucic type player out there and that's Lucic. He's the equivalent to Byfuglien in regards to being so unique. Lucic is also a poor skater. It's a big part of his game that he's worked on and has improved, but it's still the weakest part of his game.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
IMO, Reinhart will almost assuredly be there at the Jets pick...but whether he is the best pick is the big question. If Trouba or Faksa are there, those are better picks, IMO. And I think one of them will be.

Also, it's not just you, but I really dislike when people talk about things like "having such and such as our top4/top6/top2centers/etc would be awesome". Players not draft 1st to 3rd overall will not be making impacts the next year, if they do it is very likely as depth players (even 1st to 3rd overalls are not stars year after draft all the time). We are talking 2-4 years development time, combine that with the massive amount of roster movement there is in the NHL, do not depend on guys being there AND depend on the pick being an impact player. It doesn't work that way. So many factors, no way to say that that "would be" an awesome whatever, it's impossible to know.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:36 AM
trebendan

I'd like to see Faksa in the 1st and Frk in the 2nd.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
True.

Just interesting that a guy picked to go in 20's would be featured, as the Jets would have little shot at drafting him in 2nd rd, and he's a stretch at #9.

Wouldn't there be a host of other guys - reinhart, ceci, faksa, gaunce, etc - that would seem to be more likely their pick at 9. Why not write about them first?
Most people have him mid-late 20s of NA skaters... add international skaters, international goalies, and NA goalies and he could fall there specially with injury uncertainty added buuut unlikely...

I kinda would like a Chek 1 and 2... Faksa and Frk but dunno if that will happen
I'd be down for TT in the first and Samuelson, Matteu, Collberg (in that order) in the second

Old
06-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
IMO, Reinhart will almost assuredly be there at the Jets pick...but whether he is the best pick is the big question. If Trouba or Faksa are there, those are better picks, IMO. And I think one of them will be.

Also, it's not just you, but I really dislike when people talk about things like "having such and such as our top4/top6/top2centers/etc would be awesome". Players not draft 1st to 3rd overall will not be making impacts the next year, if they do it is very likely as depth players (even 1st to 3rd overalls are not stars year after draft all the time). We are talking 2-4 years development time, combine that with the massive amount of roster movement there is in the NHL, do not depend on guys being there AND depend on the pick being an impact player. It doesn't work that way. So many factors, no way to say that that "would be" an awesome whatever, it's impossible to know.
Nicely said, Holden. Which really supports the argument of taking the best player available.

I do think though that trying to calculate a top 4 or top 6 and what not is ok in some regards, especially when the draft is all about building for the future, so projecting where players may play or fit in to the puzzle is all apart of it. For instance, if I am drafting a defenseman, I would say "Bogosian and Reinhart, Trouba or Ceci" would potentially make up two very nice defensive anchors in the future. Or "Scheifele and Faksa in 2-3 years could be something special in our top 6 forwards". These kids are all projected to fit in somewhere based on their potential, whether it be a top 4 defenseman or top 6 forward, and all organizations have depth charts and fit these kids in accordingly when doing their best today to project what's best for tomorrow (the future). Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring, but it doesn't hurt to plan for it based on what we know today. If I am having fun and trying to project a line-up based on what I know today, then I'll add guys like Ladd, Wheeler, Enstrom, Byfuglien, etc. But in terms of young core guys who I feel confident will be here in 2-4 years (Bogosian, Scheifele), I generally bank on them being here as core foundation guys.

I think it's ok to look forward, but you've got to take a lot into consideration as you say with roster movement and such. I tend to like doing it with what guys I view a core guys, building blocks, generally elite or very good prospects, etc. I think it's fun to try and project things in the future, especially around draft time.

Old
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Most people have him mid-late 20s of NA skaters... add international skaters, international goalies, and NA goalies and he could fall there specially with injury uncertainty added buuut unlikely...

I kinda would like a Chek 1 and 2... Faksa and Frk but dunno if that will happen
I'd be down for TT in the first and Samuelson, Matteu, Collberg (in that order) in the second
if we get Faksa and Frk with one and two we better draft Matej Beran with our third, then my irrational dream of creating a "Czeching Line" out of this draft will come true!

Old
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
if we get Faksa and Frk with one and two we better draft Matej Beran with our third, then my irrational dream of creating a "Czeching Line" out of this draft will come true!
Machacek's name has Czech origins, if that counts.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
gongshow519

I would pick trouba, maata or ceci in the first round and pick athanasiou or Samuelson in the 2nd.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Machacek's name has Czech origins, if that counts.
good enough! worst case scenario we sign jagre and put Pavelec at center. No way that can fail!

Old
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
mondo3

There's a good discussion going on in the prospect thread of how the players are grouped. Here's a typical one:

1st tier
Yakupov

2nd tier
Galchenyuk
Murray
Forsberg
Grigerenko

3rd tier
Dumba
Rielly
Reinhart
Teravainen

4th tier
Ceci
Trouba
Collberg

5th tier
Aberg
Maata
Faksa
Gaunce

If this is more or less accurate, we'd likely be able to get someone in the 3rd tier.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Radek Faska! Hope this link works.

http://youtu.be/37RR_4FBLU4?hd=1

Old
06-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Radek Faska! Hope this link works.

http://youtu.be/37RR_4FBLU4?hd=1

Faksa would be a great pick, if he's there when we pick.

Just worried he won't get past the Hurricanes if he lasts that long. Their Kitchner connection is similar to our Barrie one - Skinner and Murphy.

If Gally goes in top 4, TML might take Faksa at #5. Fingers crossed.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:31 AM
SlimRabbit
Rookie User

Round 1: Faksa, Girgensons, Gaunce - whichever is available in this order of preference - all have NHL size, which must be a prerequisite. The league is getting bigger, stronger, faster - 5.10 180lbs just won't do it any more for a deep run into playoffs. Any semi-concious person watching this year's playoffs cannot reasonably conclude otherwise.

Round 2: Tanner Pearson - close to NHL size, he'll grow into it. Pearson, Schieffle, Telegin, Ladd, Wheeler, Little - top 6.

Last edited by SlimRabbit: 06-08-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old
06-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
There's a good discussion going on in the prospect thread of how the players are grouped. Here's a typical one:

1st tier
Yakupov

2nd tier
Galchenyuk
Murray
Forsberg
Grigerenko

3rd tier
Dumba
Rielly
Reinhart
Teravainen

4th tier
Ceci
Trouba
Collberg

5th tier
Aberg
Maata
Faksa
Gaunce

If this is more or less accurate, we'd likely be able to get someone in the 3rd tier.
Laughable. At best. Garbage. Urgh. Gaunce, Faksa, Trouba are EASILY 3rd tier and Collberg and Aberg should be nowhere NEAR this discussion. I'd be upset with a Dumba or Reilly pick if Trouba or Faksa are on the board.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:42 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 320
A centre who can do that an the NHL level is what we need. Faksa would look good in a Jets uniform.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
A centre who can do that an the NHL level is what we need. Faksa would look good in a Jets uniform.
I like Faksa, but there's a lot of good players who I think will be available. Furthermore, unfortunately, no guarantees he can do that at the NHL level.

I"m just glad most of his goals didn't seem like "power through em" goals, as that's something to watch for, they seemed to be more the product of good positioning, which is great.

With this draft being so wonky, I'm fairly certain we'll end up with someone good.

As for the "would look good in a X uniform" does that actually mean anything? I don't think the jets jersey colors will bring out his eyes or accentuate is czech features...it really just means "i want this player on my team" doesn't it?

I mean hell i'm not watching a beauty contest...

(sorry bout that part, bit of a pet peeve)

Old
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Laughable. At best. Garbage. Urgh. Gaunce, Faksa, Trouba are EASILY 3rd tier and Collberg and Aberg should be nowhere NEAR this discussion. I'd be upset with a Dumba or Reilly pick if Trouba or Faksa are on the board.

I forgot your a certified NHL scout Holden. With your wealth of knowledge I will now laugh at this too..Muahaha

Old
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Joe Hallenback

Trying to fill a need for next years team with a draft pick this year is not the way to go. They will take the BPA at 10 regardless of what they think next years team will need.

I think it will be one of the D men that is around. Looking less likely Reinhart or Trouba will drop that far. I am going to bet it is either Dumba or Reilly they will draft

Closed Thread