HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jamie Oleksiak

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2012, 05:00 PM
  #1
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,199
vCash: 500
Jamie Oleksiak

The old one seems a bit too old to bump, but I don't know if that's an issue for the prospect board or not. If not, sorry in advance, and if you don't mind merging the two, thanks.

Anyone seen him play a lot? He definitely seemed to have a great year, playing #2 behind Hamilton on Niagara. Just curious to see if anyone's seen him play extensively or not.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:22 PM
  #2
WeissFC
@WeissFC
 
WeissFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The old one seems a bit too old to bump, but I don't know if that's an issue for the prospect board or not. If not, sorry in advance, and if you don't mind merging the two, thanks.

Anyone seen him play a lot? He definitely seemed to have a great year, playing #2 behind Hamilton on Niagara. Just curious to see if anyone's seen him play extensively or not.
He definitely seemed to have a great year? Did you watch him play this season?

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:33 PM
  #3
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
He definitely seemed to have a great year? Did you watch him play this season?
No, but everything I read made it sound like he had a pretty solid season.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:33 PM
  #4
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,637
vCash: 500
Well the Stars seemed happy with his season. I think he put up better numbers than people expected. Also the Stars owner says hes within have an inch of Chara heightwise so he must have done some growing.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:29 PM
  #5
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,018
vCash: 500
He's gonna need time, but he's a good one.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:55 AM
  #6
FrailSwan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: I have lost my home
Country: United States
Posts: 3,604
vCash: 500
I see him being a much better Grossman.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:25 AM
  #7
JAMmer124
Independent Living
 
JAMmer124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Welland, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Caught a couple Ice Dogs games this year, and Oleksiak was certainly a man amongst boys (literally).

Pros:

Seemed to have good mobility for his size
Good with his stick
Cleared the front of the net well
Decent-Good first pass

Needs improvement:

Needs to use his size more. Hamilton and Beukeboom were far more physical despite being smaller.
Shot had decent velocity(not as hard as one would expect from someone with leverage like he has) and it took a bit long to get it away

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:24 AM
  #8
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
As an Ice Dogs season ticket holder, I found him to be very underwhelming.

notloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  #9
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 500
It's no surprise his stats took a huge jump once he joined Niagara.

I'd be more interested to see how people thought he looked when he was playing on that **** Saginaw team.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:21 PM
  #10
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
So, it looks like Oleksiak will make his NHL debut tomorrow for the Stars against Phoenix.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
  #11
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,199
vCash: 500
Has been an absolute monster in the AHL so far. Very, very excited.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:56 AM
  #12
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 72,117
vCash: 500
Im curious to see how his offensive game pans out as well.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
  #13
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Im curious to see how his offensive game pans out as well.
He had 23 points in 43 games in the AHL for what it's worth. Only 3 goals though.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
  #14
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,442
vCash: 500
Surprising how well he's done in the AHL. Was a very underwhelming OHLer last year.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  #15
Pay Carl
don't lose touch
 
Pay Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
He is huge but can he fight? I hope someone on Dallas kicks the **** out of Torres on his first day back

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  #16
nally
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
As an Ice Dogs season ticket holder, I found him to be very underwhelming.
This, from what I saw of him in London. After a couple of games, I traded him away in my keeper league

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:50 PM
  #17
WhoahNow
Registered User
 
WhoahNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
He is huge but can he fight? I hope someone on Dallas kicks the **** out of Torres on his first day back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHJAlOVaHU

Can never figure out getting youtube vids to work on here

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
  #18
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
It's no surprise his stats took a huge jump once he joined Niagara.

I'd be more interested to see how people thought he looked when he was playing on that **** Saginaw team.
He seemed disinterested playing for Saginiaw, he got motivated and passionate when he was traded to Niagara.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
  #19
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoahNow View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHJAlOVaHU

Can never figure out getting youtube vids to work on here
Here you go.


CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:09 PM
  #20
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He seemed disinterested playing for Saginiaw, he got motivated and passionate when he was traded to Niagara.
Where he was still kind of just meh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
As an Ice Dogs season ticket holder, I found him to be very underwhelming.
He wasn't great in the playoffs.

By all accounts he's been great in the AHL so far, interesting to see how he is in the NHL.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
  #21
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
I'm curious...

From all accounts, Oleksiak doesnt have a mean streak or great offensive skills, so inevitably, his game is going to be very non-flashy and subtle.

Are the 'meh' comments more about the wasted potential considering he isnt physical for a 6-7 ish guy or any notable high end offensive skills? Or was gap control and defensive reads were really juat average?

Because those are 2 different scenarios. The 1st woud make me frustrated but not too woried about his NHL future, while the 2nd makes me worry.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:07 PM
  #22
FrailSwan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: I have lost my home
Country: United States
Posts: 3,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I'm curious...

From all accounts, Oleksiak doesnt have a mean streak or great offensive skills, so inevitably, his game is going to be very non-flashy and subtle.

Are the 'meh' comments more about the wasted potential considering he isnt physical for a 6-7 ish guy or any notable high end offensive skills? Or was gap control and defensive reads were really juat average?

Because those are 2 different scenarios. The 1st woud make me frustrated but not too woried about his NHL future, while the 2nd makes me worry.
This is what I heard a lot too when we drafted him, but I've seen just the opposite from watching him in the AHL. The guy makes some fantastic plays to set up scoring, and that's where a lot of his assists have come from. So I'd probably say his offensive skills are a little underrated compared to what we all thought at first.

As for the mean streak, he doesn't carry one with him, but he's shown that he can get physical and nasty if other players make him. That Petrovic fight was a little example of that, after he made the big hit.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
  #23
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
This is what I heard a lot too when we drafted him, but I've seen just the opposite from watching him in the AHL. The guy makes some fantastic plays to set up scoring, and that's where a lot of his assists have come from. So I'd probably say his offensive skills are a little underrated compared to what we all thought at first.

As for the mean streak, he doesn't carry one with him, but he's shown that he can get physical and nasty if other players make him. That Petrovic fight was a little example of that, after he made the big hit.
I have no doubts he may have developed that since being drafted.

But really more interested in those initial reports from his junior play.

It is a nice way to gauge his development speed. Plus its damn interesting lol

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:56 PM
  #24
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Oleksiak is currently 5th in AHL defensemen scoring. So much for no offensive upside.

Not expecting 50 points or anything but he's definitely playing likes hes got 10-25 upside.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:58 PM
  #25
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
10-25 upside?

You're going too far in the other direction. I would say that's a fairly safe projection.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.