HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Behind The Moves: NHL GMs Tell how Winners are Built - Meet Farris & Feaster in YYC!

Old
04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Behind The Moves: NHL GMs Tell how Winners are Built - Meet Farris & Feaster in YYC!

Book Review of Behind The Moves: NHL General Managers Tell how Winners are Built
by Jason Farris (now hired by Dallas Stars after writing this book) with forward by Brian Burke.

Book Review:

http://thehockeywriters.com/essentia...ind-the-moves/

In June, Farris and Flames GM Jay Feaster will be key note speakers for event:
Details @ http://hockeyspy.blogspot.ca/

Quote:
Rotman Leadership Experts Speaker Series Date: 6/5/2012 U of T Alumni and Friends are invited to a presentation titled:

How Winners are Built: Plays & Strategies From the NHL's Top General Managers Speakers:

Jay Feaster General Manager, Calgary Flames; former General Manager of Tampa Bay Lightning for 6 years (he guided the Lightning to their first Stanley Cup championship)

Jason Farris Author, Behind the Moves: NHL General Managers Tell How Winners are Built; Executive VP, Dallas Stars; former CEO, Citizens Bank of Canada"

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
tfong

Not sure if Jay Feaster brings credibility to the book really....

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:52 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Not sure if Jay Feaster brings credibility to the book really....
He won a Calder in the AHL while being named AHL Executive of the Year. Followed by a Stanley Cup while being named NHL Executive of the Year by The Sporting News. Guess he knows nothing about how winners are built? He may not have hand built each team, but he was right there when it happened and when they won..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Well he needs to do a lot of work with this team

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
He won a Calder in the AHL while being named AHL Executive of the Year. Followed by a Stanley Cup while being named NHL Executive of the Year by The Sporting News. Guess he knows nothing about how winners are built? He may not have hand built each team, but he was right there when it happened and when they won..
Well Flames certainly isn't really bringing credibility for the present. Also wasn't the previous Tampa gm responsible for constructing most of the cup team? Certainly after that Tampa did pretty poorly until too and didn't make the playoffs till he was gone?

Feels sorta like asking Kris Kolanos on what it is like being an NHL player, he has played in the NHL but I'm not quite sure if he brings legitimacy to the conversation vs asking someone like Iggy.

Do you get what I'm saying or you just want to argue though? My point mainly is that he probably isn't he beat image of winning to me right now as opposed to say Peter Chiarelli.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Well Flames certainly isn't really bringing credibility for the present. Also wasn't the previous Tampa gm responsible for constructing most of the cup team? Certainly after that Tampa did pretty poorly until too and didn't make the playoffs till he was gone?

Feels sorta like asking Kris Kolanos on what it is like being an NHL player, he has played in the NHL but I'm not quite sure if he brings legitimacy to the conversation vs asking someone like Iggy.

Do you get what I'm saying or you just want to argue though? My point mainly is that he probably isn't he beat image of winning to me right now as opposed to say Peter Chiarelli.
Feaster was the assistant GM since 1998 he had a part in building the team not only that but he was the one that traded for Stillman who was the second leading scorer on the team. The team was gutted after the cup due to the salary cap and lack of funding from ownership. He is a credible source on how to be a GM and was part of building a great winner.

They also made the playoffs 4 consecutive years under him they only missed the playoffs once with Feaster they came dead last and resigned sighting issues with the new ownership "interfering" with hockey operations. You simply are wrong about him.

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 04-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.
TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Feaster was the assistant GM since 1998 he had a part in building the team not only that but he was the one that traded for Stillman who was the second leading scorer on the team. The team was gutted after the cup due to the salary cap and lack of funding from ownership. He is a credible source on how to be a GM and was part of building a great winner.

They also made the playoffs 4 consecutive years under him they only missed the playoffs once with Feaster they came dead last and resigned sighting issues with the new ownership "interfering" with hockey operations. You simply are wrong about him.
Well in, Gleninator!

Old
04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

No way will every GM win every trade or make the right decisions 100% of the time. The only moves I haven't been crazy about with Feaster is the Regehr deal (he should of got a better return IMO) and the trade for PL3 and Modin were not needed. However, the last 2 transactions were pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but nonetheless were still useless deals for a team looking to stockpile picks/prospects.

I think the Flames are in a really similar situation to what Tampa was in before he was let go, and I think Feaster has learned from his mistakes there. I definitely think Feaster has moved this team in the right direction, yes it is still a long ways away from being a contender but I think we will all see what Feaster's real direction for this team is come October.

Regarding the OP, the book sounds like a really interesting read.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:58 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post

I didn't say I think he is a bad gm, but I certainly doo not believe he is the best one to be the keynote speaker on his book.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I didn't say I think he is a bad gm, but I certainly doo not believe he is the best one to be the keynote speaker on his book.
All "top" GM's are still employed I doubt they had time and or are allowed to talk about behind the scene things which makes Feaster a good person to talk especially since he is well spoken.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
tfong

I'd read a book made by Scotty bowman in comparison

Old
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
TheHudlinator

Thats great but to mock a book that has a GM who has one a cup and been in the business for over 10+ years and has been praised every where he has gone is not right.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
tfong

Wasn't mocking him really, I just said I'm not sure if he brings that much credibility to the book. More like me questioning if that was a bonus or not to have him as a keynote speaker.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Feaster has won a Cup, his stories and experiences add credibility to the book, period.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:19 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Wasn't mocking him really, I just said I'm not sure if he brings that much credibility to the book. More like me questioning if that was a bonus or not to have him as a keynote speaker.
I guess mocking was the wrong word but there aren't that many GM's that have won a cup in the last 20 years or GM's that have 10+ years of experience that fact that he has both and has been recently hired to fix a team that most people think is in the worst shape should bring alot of credibility. As I said earlier most GM's that people think of when they think of successful GM's are either still employed and most likely to busy to do the book or haven't been a top GM in a while which makes them being in the book less helpful.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:31 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Anyone else going to this event June 5th? I'm really looking forward to it.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I really don't understand how anyone can judge Feaster after 2 years.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Deen

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I really don't understand how anyone can judge Feaster after 2 years.
Agree completely. I think this off-season is where we will begin to truly see him make this his team.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
misterjaggers

Was it self-published?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
If it weren't for Feaster in Tampa, Calgary would have won the cup in '04.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
If it weren't for Feaster in Tampa, Calgary would have won the cup in '04.
Pitches and torches on the 5th? Sound good.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:20 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Mike Colligan's in depth look:

What Makes a Successful NHL General Manager?
http://thehockeywriters.com/overtime...eral-managers/

Old
05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Trae

When and where is the keynote? I followed the link in the original post but didn't find any information on the keynote.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote