HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Around the League, Moves/Deals: Gomez done in Montreal. MDZ signed, Zajac Re-signed

Old
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
noooooooooooooooo.

I am done.

Let's look for the next prospect or player that is buried under depth or not getting the opportunity. Brassard with the addition of Dubinsky, & Anisimov with RyJo joining in. Marcus Johansson?
I highly doubt johansson gets moved by CBJ. I would take brassard though.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
I highly doubt johansson gets moved by CBJ. I would take brassard though.
Pretty much who I was thinking of getting from them.

08-03-2012, 07:28 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Ah I thought I rememberd someone saying that during the draft coverage. My bad

So he's not old enough for the AHL, back to junior I suppose.
He is old enough to go to the AHL as he will be 20 before December 31st (August 10th in his case).

So either AHL or juniors as an overager.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

The idiot, that is Rutherford, presents us with the ugliest 2nd contract in NHL history:

Quote:
According to TSN Insider Bob McKenzie, Skinner's new deal is believed to be a six-year extension worth an average annual value of $5.725 million.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402602

6 M/YR for a sophomore who broke 60 pts once

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
The idiot, that is Rutherford, presents us with the ugliest 2nd contract in NHL history:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402602

6 M/YR for a sophomore who broke 60 pts once
He actually played very respectable towards the end of his season after the concussion. I think it was a good bet.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Firstly, I don't know why someone would sign a 20 year old to a 6 year contract, with 1 year left till his RFA. You need to see how the kid progresses before commiting this much term to him, unless he's a Tavares/Stamkos.

Secondly, I don't see how he has shown he is capable of earning 6M/YR, when established, higher tier 2nd liners get around 5-5.5 M.

No matter how good he played last year, he hasn't done enough to warrant that kind of term or money.

Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 08-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 01:52 AM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if a deal with Phoenix and Edmonton could work around these two players.

David Rundblad

Magnus Paajarvi

A bit of a risk for both teams but Phoenix is looking stacked on defense.

Yandle, Morris, Klesla, Ekman-Larsson, Gormley, Michalek, Murphy.

Edmonton on the other hand is carrying a ton of promising forwards, Rundblad could be another addition but in an area where they need some help.

Phoenix just lost Ray Whitney and might lose Shane Doan, I think a guy like Paajarvi could be worth the risk. He can still become a top six forward IMO.

I know Phoenix just traded for Rundblad this past season, but this is just an idea I guess, I'm bored lol.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
thecatch22

Skinner contract is going to be an excellent one. 60 points once... failed to mention it was his rookie year as an 18 year old.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if a deal with Phoenix and Edmonton could work around these two players.

David Rundblad

Magnus Paajarvi

A bit of a risk for both teams but Phoenix is looking stacked on defense.

Yandle, Morris, Klesla, Ekman-Larsson, Gormley, Michalek, Murphy.

Edmonton on the other hand is carrying a ton of promising forwards, Rundblad could be another addition but in an area where they need some help.

Phoenix just lost Ray Whitney and might lose Shane Doan, I think a guy like Paajarvi could be worth the risk. He can still become a top six forward IMO.

I know Phoenix just traded for Rundblad this past season, but this is just an idea I guess, I'm bored lol.
Edmonton has Klefbom, Schultz, Marincin, Gernat, Musil.. they have lots of good D prospects. What the don't have as much is good two-way players.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:52 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Edmonton has Klefbom, Schultz, Marincin, Gernat, Musil.. they have lots of good D prospects. What the don't have as much is good two-way players.
I think the Oilers have the same problem the Leafs do, just opposite. The Leafs have good defensive prospects but no high end forwards. Edmonton has all these high end forwards but no good defensive prospects. Yes, the guys you listed are good prospects but I wouldn't say they are high end. Maybe Schultz though.

08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think the Oilers have the same problem the Leafs do, just opposite. The Leafs have good defensive prospects but no high end forwards. Edmonton has all these high end forwards but no good defensive prospects. Yes, the guys you listed are good prospects but I wouldn't say they are high end. Maybe Schultz though.
And definitely Klefbom.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:58 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

CapGeek‏@capgeek

Quote:
The #Sabres project to have an #NHL leading $11.1M difference between cap payroll ($61.5M) and actual payroll ($72.7M) in 2012-13.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Hall signed. 7yr x 6m

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403610

Seems high to me.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:42 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Hall signed. 7yr x 6m

Seems high to me.
They're going to have a hard time keeping their core in tact if they plan on handing out those sort of contracts.

Hall has the potential to live up to a deal of that sorts, but then what does Eberle, RNH, Yakapov and Schultz make in the future?

They can afford to hand out those sort of contracts, but they'll be in tight to find a support cast to provide real depth in that program.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:47 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
They're going to have a hard time keeping their core in tact if they plan on handing out those sort of contracts.

Hall has the potential to live up to a deal of that sorts, but then what does Eberle, RNH, Yakapov and Schultz make in the future?

They can afford to hand out those sort of contracts, but they'll be in tight to find a support cast to provide real depth in that program.
I think they are banking on the new CBA giving them some help for resigning RNH and Yakupov.

Other teams can do it, I think its possible. Much of their deadweight comes off the books in time too.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

I agree, it's going to be interesting to see how they will fit them all in.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Suntouchable13

The owners want a cap on length of player contracts and yet Edmonton and Philly give out 7 and 6 year contracts respectively. What a bunch of morons. The owners are really ticking me off right now.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Hall signed. 7yr x 6m

Seems high to me.
I remember having a recent discussion in another thread about how RFAs never get big money and how Kessel's contract was pretty ridiculous. Good times.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
satyr9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
I remember having a recent discussion in another thread about how RFAs never get big money and how Kessel's contract was pretty ridiculous. Good times.
I'd imagine BOS's management is pretty choked by that deal. I doubt they thought going into this offseason they were going to be talking about 6m per for a Seguin extension.

satyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:38 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:

It's a good problem to have. What would any team do, Leafs included, if they had so many good young players to sign? If the Leafs re-signed Kessel for 7 years at 6 million per season, don't you think this place would be rejoicing?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
It's a good problem to have. What would any team do, Leafs included, if they had so many good young players to sign? If the Leafs re-signed Kessel for 7 years at 6 million per season, don't you think this place would be rejoicing?
Of course, he's worth more than that.

Old
08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
The owners want a cap on length of player contracts and yet Edmonton and Philly give out 7 and 6 year contracts respectively. What a bunch of morons. The owners are really ticking me off right now.
The owners want a cap on length because of the ages that some players have been given their contracts until. Parise and Suter will be in their 40s before their contracts are up, and it's doubtful at best that they'll honour the entire length. As long as the contract is signed before 35, if they retire, their cap hit comes off the books. That allows them to cash in early (10.2 million cap hit for Suter and Parise if only the first 7 years of their contracts are counted) while essentially keeping a third of their salaries off the cap during their best years. It's a matter of cap circumvention, not long contracts.

Hall will be 28 when his contract expires, though you can make a case for Hartnell, considering he'll be 37 when his expires.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:54 PM
thecatch22

Eberle's term should set the stage for a reasonable Kessel signing. The two will have comparable point production from the same position.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
Eberle's term should set the stage for a reasonable Kessel signing. The two will have comparable point production from the same position.
Smart moves, Eberle is already 2 points out of being a PPG player.

I suspect we'll see them with 4 players with a 24 million cap hit, compared to some teams whose stars are getting 2+ more per season.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Smart moves, Eberle is already 2 points out of being a PPG player.

I suspect we'll see them with 4 players with a 24 million cap hit, compared to some teams whose stars are getting 2+ more per season.
If Eberle and Hall become perennial PPG players, they're going to be setup perfectly to build a contender in the next 4-5 years.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote