HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Around the League, Moves/Deals: Gomez done in Montreal. MDZ signed, Zajac Re-signed

Old
09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
CANADIENS ADD TOUGHNESS WITH ARMSTRONG, PRUST, BOUILLON - (Armstrong re-visited)

CANADIENS ADD TOUGHNESS WITH ARMSTRONG, PRUST, BOUILLON - (Armstrong re-visited)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399682

I can't for the life of me figure out why a team like Toronto who desperately needs toughness buys out a player like Armstrong?

If Toronto bought him out because of his injury history and lack of production then why would the Habs take a chance on him (other than his new salary)?

It seems like something more likely that Ron Wilson run & gun team would do, rather than a slowed down defensive style that RC preaches.

Colby will likely play on the 4th line for the Habs (behind Cole, Gionta, and White on the right side), but who's replacing him on the Leafs?

Kadri, Komerov, or Connolly?

It seems like this isn't the size or toughness to replace Armstrong.

So is it a matter of replacing him with skill, or speed? That still doesn't make sense especially when size/toughness is what Toronto lacks.

Could it be that Colby was a problem in the locker room? We have no idea what his presence is like around other players. He's a funny guy with the media, but who knows if he was well liked. It seems to me that I didn't see him protecting other players much in his last few months of his tenure.

So what gives here? There might be a logical answer or this could be a sorted one.

Which one is it?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Amstrong isn't tough at all, he is an agitator who is good at drawing penalties. Leafs management most likely thought Komarov could provide the same type of game for much less money. With the buying out of Armstrong, the cap savings of 2 million will be very useful going forward, especially with the cap likely going down significantly.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
SprDaVE

Armstrong was so tough the Leafs had to force him in the press box.

The guy still gives a mean look from the press box though.

Scary stuff.

He can't even throw a hit without missing 3 months because of a knee injury... because he hit the boards too hard.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
DPyro

If Armstrong is so tough why did he only play 79 games in two seasons with the Leafs?

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

how's he tough?

he barely hits, and when he does he gets injured...

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Everlong
-

Armstrong is more of an agitator, certainly not as tough as his reputation states. Bouillon won't shy away from physical play, but he's far from tough. You're really stretching to make an argument here.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Armstrong is more of an agitator, certainly not as tough as his reputation states. Bouillon won't shy away from physical play, but he's far from tough. You're really stretching to make an argument here.
If I am stretching to make an argument here then who replaces Komerov if he gets injured? Kadri? Maybe...Deschamps?

Old
09-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
such a beast, he's like a little bulldozer on the ice.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
If I am stretching to make an argument here then who replaces Komerov if he gets injured? Kadri? Maybe...Deschamps?
Frattin is the direct beneficiary to Armstrong leaving in terms of a roster spot. He is at very least, just as tough.

Komarov hasn't even officially made the team yet and you're already up in arms about who will replace him if he gets hurt? Good Grief. There are multiple players who can fill a similar 4th line checking role. D'Amigo, Orr, Hamilton, etc. Dime a dozen.

Last edited by Everlong: 09-05-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399682

I can't for the life of me figure out why a team like Toronto who desperately needs toughness buys out a player like Armstrong?

If Toronto bought him out because of his injury history and lack of production then why would the Habs take a chance on him (other than his new salary)?

It seems like something more likely that Ron Wilson run & gun team would do, rather than a slowed down defensive style that RC preaches.

Colby will likely play on the 4th line for the Habs (behind Cole, Gionta, and White on the right side), but who's replacing him on the Leafs?

Kadri, Komerov, or Connolly?

It seems like this isn't the size or toughness to replace Armstrong.

So is it a matter of replacing him with skill, or speed? That still doesn't make sense especially when size/toughness is what Toronto lacks.

Could it be that Colby was a problem in the locker room? We have no idea what his presence is like around other players. He's a funny guy with the media, but who knows if he was well liked. It seems to me that I didn't see him protecting other players much in his last few months of his tenure.

So what gives here? There might be a logical answer or this could be a sorted one.

Which one is it?
That buy out does perplex me.

These are possible scenarios as I see it:
- Wanted to trade him, nobody wanted him at his salary, why we didn't put on reentry waivers or something then I'm not sure. Burke's morals may have played a part in not doing that.
- Owners may have not wanted to pay his salary but I doubt they care, doubt it is this.
- Armstrong see's that he has no future with the team and likely wouldn't have gotten much, if any, playing time this coming season so he asked Burke to be traded. Burke tried to find a partner, for anything, but nobody was biting. Burke and his morals not wanting to embarrass him by putting him on reentry waivers hoping that somebody picks him up bought him out instead so another team can sign him. This I think is the most likely scenario.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:

What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?

What if Yellowstone Park erupts next week?

What if an asteroid slams into North America and incinerates everyone along with it?

You were probably one of those anti-LACK posters a couple of months back whining and complaining about having to deal with another year of Armstrong on the IR, and now as soon as he becomes a Hab, you're suddenly singing his praises?

But I guess the grass is greener in Montreal?...

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:35 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

What if an asteroid slams into North America and incinerates everyone along with it?

You were probably one of those anti-LACK posters a couple of months back whining and complaining about having to deal with another year of Armstrong on the IR, and now as soon as he becomes a Hab, you're suddenly singing his praises?

I agree with FSP, we should've kept Armstrong in the AHL so we could call him up when Komarov is guaranteed to get injured. I'm sure Colby would've been totally OK with that.

/sarcasm

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

Every team has a bunch of underachievers that fans want to trade or send down. I never really like Armstrong, but i just also hope that Toronto can be tougher. I hope that means that we'll see Orr on the 4th line again. It could mean that some of the players Everlong mentioned are moved for someone who can do a better job than Armstrong.

Ultimately I hope Burke keeps to his word about getting bigger and tougher.

JVR and McClement are not enough as far as I'm concerned. I also want more size/grit on the blue line if at all possible. I would gladly give up Liles for something bigger/tougher, but with less offensive polish.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Did PK Subban get an offer sheet from BOS?

09-06-2012, 12:05 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Did PK Subban get an offer sheet from BOS?
Never heard anything about this?

09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Never heard anything about this?
I think I misread, then. He was asked what would happen IF he were offer-sheeted.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think I misread, then. He was asked what would happen IF he were offer-sheeted.
He wants to play with his brother doesn't he?

It is making stuff up time at HF's.

j/k - it is fun time as always.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He wants to play with his brother doesn't he?

It is making stuff up time at HF's.

j/k - it is fun time as always.
I blame the Bruins board for this one

Old
09-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Interesting Convo with Galy's sis...

Hanging out at the BioSteel Camp a couple weeks ago, a bunch of us stepped outside to warm up, including 3rd overall draftee Alex Galcheyuk's sister, who drove both Galy and Nail to the camp.

Great girl, very pretty, and quite open to discussing the whirlwind last few months since the draft.

According to her, Galy is thrilled to be a Hab. Having lived in Switzerland as a youth, French is his third language. While he and Nail are extremely close, there was never any doubt which national team Galy would play for, as he considers himself a Russian-born American, to the dismay of the Russian hockey program.

She told us that they had a great meeting with Toronto at their home.
We mentioned that Leaf Nation was nearly unanimous in wishing he'd be sporting the blue and white,
but that we also realized there was little hope of him dropping to fifth.

Her words: "We thought there was going to be a trade", and she then went on to discuss how the boys thought they might end up in Toronto together. We spoke about how Burke was certainly the type of GM to repeat history by making such a deal.

Interesting morning, to say the least. By the way, Nail was a beast during scrimmage. Galy wasn't too bad, either...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Peasy
All In The Game Yo

vCash: 485
Was she hot?

If so, pics or it didnt happen.

Peasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
Was she hot?

If so, pics or it didnt happen.
Taking her picture would have been in extremely poor taste, and yes, she was stunning.

Edit: you can check out my first in a series of articles of the event here: http://wewantacup.com/headlines/863-biosteel-camp-recap

Old
09-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Merged in to Around the League. Not a Leaf player.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
thrillhouse99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Taking her picture would have been in extremely poor taste, and yes, she was stunning.
Yeah, a lot of people don't know this but snapping a pic of a girl with your iPhone mid conversation is considered poor decorum.

So you're a hockey player too? What level do you play at?

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Merged in to Around the League. Not a Leaf player.
fair enough. Relevant to the Leafs nonetheless. It pertains to pre-draft theories that Nail and Galy could have been Leafs, according to her.