HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League, Moves/Deals: Gomez done in Montreal. MDZ signed, Zajac Re-signed

Old
06-04-2012, 01:34 PM
AlmightyPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
If it makes you feel any better, Nonis was asked about that during a recent FAN590 interview and said that Scrivens' impressive play in the AHL playoffs hasn't changed their plans for the off-season.
I am sure they will do something, but unless they get Luongo or some surprise goalie, there are no more sure thing starters available (that we know about). Going into the season with one of Harding, Bernier, Lindback is hardly an improvement from Reimer and Gus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
I have had my ups and downs with Burkes actions as GM of the Leafs and have been just as frustrated as the next guy. However, I base my comments on actual moves or decisions he has made or potentially missed out on when he has expressed interest. It makes me laugh how he is getting a negative wrap June 4th for something that select fans/media thought would be the answer in goal. Funny thing is Vokoun is still an option.
He was traded and signed by the Pens for two year...He is no longer a viable option. I do not understand what you are even talking about.

I will wait and see what will happen, but the number of available starters has dropped to one, and will cost us far more assets and comes with a pretty big contract.

AlmightyPO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
whats ur point?
That they don't think they 'have what they need'....

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Perhaps Vokoun never wanted to sign here?

This is speculation, but my take is that when Washington gave Vokoun permission to talk to other teams, he wanted to go to Pittsburgh so they were probably one of the first teams he contacted. My guess is, Vokoun and Pittsburgh probably agreed on the money and term through their talks and then Shero gave McPhee a 7th round pick to sign him right away as kind of a thank you to Washington for allowing Vokoun to negotiate with them before he hit UFA and it became open season.

Speculation, of course.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
How is Vokoun still an option?
My bad. Didnt see the sign and trade part. Just thought they turned down an offer from Washington.

So obviously he wasnt in the plans for us... who cares.. what has Vokoun won?

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
ALine

Vokoun is 35 y/o and he wants a cup bad. I agree that Toronto was never even an option from his point of view. A starter skillset, could likely get alteast 4 a year from someone, signed to be a back-up on a perennial cup favourite. We had no chance, as much as a would have liked him to be a 1B to Reimer.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
That they don't think they 'have what they need'....
They don't.. but doesnt mean Vokoun is the naswer because he is a vet. Who even knows if he even wanted to come here. He is in a great situation with Pitts. Chance to give MAF plenty of rest thru the season and not have to carry the load and has a great chance to win a cup.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Perhaps Vokoun never wanted to sign here?

This is speculation, but my take is that when Washington gave Vokoun permission to talk to other teams, he wanted to go to Pittsburgh so they were probably one of the first teams he contacted. My guess is, Vokoun and Pittsburgh probably agreed on the money and term through their talks and then Shero gave McPhee a 7th round pick to sign him right away as kind of a thank you to Washington for allowing Vokoun to negotiate with them before he hit UFA and it became open season.

Speculation, of course.
He did last year when his agent called Burke and asked if there was any interest in signing him.

Last edited by Darkhorse1280: 06-04-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
DPyro

Quote:
My bad. Didnt see the sign and trade part. Just thought they turned down an offer from Washington.

Top 4 goalie in SV% the past 5 years or something (averaged).

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
ACC1224

Quote:

Seemed like a decent option to me but I'm not that bothered by missing out. I trust Burke has a plan for a Goalie and will wait til that unfolds before criticizing him on it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post

He was traded and signed by the Pens for two year...He is no longer a viable option. I do not understand what you are even talking about.

I will wait and see what will happen, but the number of available starters has dropped to one, and will cost us far more assets and comes with a pretty big contract.
this is where you dont know what you are talking about. How can you say there is only 1 available starter out there? Cause the media and the Luongo situation is the only public news? There are trades that come out of left field all the time & BB is known for them.

I know we are all hungry and excited to see what goes down over these next few months, but after the results of last season, Burke will do something. He knows we need help..

Old
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Unless there's a plan in the works to pry Hallack away from St. Louis, this one really stings. I don't see any options that aren't a step sideways or a huge overpayment.

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
He did last year when his agent called Burke and asked if their was any interest in signing him.
Largely irrelevant. Things change over the course of a year. Last year, it looked like the Leafs had a bonafide starting goaltender in Reimer. Last year, it looked like the Leafs were a young imrpoving team and had one of the best records in the NHL post allstar break and should contend for a playoff spot. Now, the Leafs are a lottery team and coming off one of the worst 3 month stretch of hockey by any team in recent memory. Things change.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

THAT *******! HOW DARE HE NOT SIGN WITH US AND POSSIBLY THINK WE CAN WIN THE CUP BETTER THAN THE PENGUINS! seriously is anyone actually surprised he didn't sign with us? lol

06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Calacatz
Jacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Top 4 goalie in SV% the past 5 years or something (averaged).
3 career playoffs wins & only 11 playoff starts. What experience has he had in a hockey hotbed? To me this guy would be Vesa all over again.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I dont think he would be vesa, he's more talented.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
To me this guy would be Vesa all over again.
Toskala wasn't a proven starter when the Leafs got him. He had some decent numbers (and some not so decent) - as the backup/platoon guy - on the Sharks.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Toskala wasn't a proven starter when the Leafs got him. He had some decent numbers (and some not so decent) - as the backup/platoon guy - on the Sharks.
lol im loving the simpson named moderators

chief wiggum joined today btw

also yea it was JFJ's fault for giving up a huge piece.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Sigh. Not much left, hope we can sign Harding. Luongo should be a last resort.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Vokoun is 35 y/o and he wants a cup bad. I agree that Toronto was never even an option from his point of view. A starter skillset, could likely get alteast 4 a year from someone, signed to be a back-up on a perennial cup favourite. We had no chance, as much as a would have liked him to be a 1B to Reimer.
So what do we do now as far as goaltending? All the other UFA's are the same or worse than the goalies we have now? Hasek? If we don't do something we will have the same goalies with the same result.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
TheDroughtEndsHERE

Is anyone else dissapointed in Burke?

A 7th rounder and 4mil for a steady, reliable, veteran #1 goalie?
C'mon Burke where were you on this one..now we're either going to be stuck with Reimer/Scrivens going into next year or get Lu and his retirement contract. I'm a huge fan of Burke and think he's done a good job overall but I think he really dropped the ball on this one...anyone else think so?

TheDroughtEndsHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Hockey Potential
HP Forums

Vokoun would of been Giguere 2.0 for us, glad we didn't sign him.

Hockey Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
catgoldfish

Would love to have Vokoun.......instead of paying for a goalie with picks and prospects....

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Phaneuf Already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeymane View Post
Vokoun would of been Giguere 2.0 for us, glad we didn't sign him.
Totally agree. Don't forget that Pittsburgh signed him as a backup.

Dependability is key. Burke needs to aim higher.

Phaneuf Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Hmm, maybe he didn't want to come to Toronto? He did have the ability to discuss his future with other teams (as per Dregger or Mac don't remember) meaning multiple teams were in discussion for his services, if he didn't want to sign in TO then why would Burke deal for him? Id assume he choose Pittsburgh as his destination which is why the transaction went through. Not always black and white my friend.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Stephen

I don't think there's much left in the tank with regards to Vokoun. If the defense doesn't improve, I see him playing like 2009 Cujo instead of 1999 Cujo in Toronto. And for two years. It's a good pass.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote