HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames fan in peace.

Old
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
People realize Babchuk is a pylon right? He's a slower Andrew Alberts with no mean streak and a slap-shot. Rather keep Ballard personally.
Wouldn't be the first time we swapped D-men with Calgary and inherited a pylon.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Iceberg Slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Is Babchuk RD or LD?

Ah, why bother asking. Either way, hell yes.
Righthand shot: http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2897

He can play both sides but has played more RD over his career (and is a natural fit on RD due to righthand shot).

It's an interesting proposal. Calgary and Vancouver swap their overpaid 3rd pairing D's. Calgary gets Bouwmeester's old partner from their Florida days and Vancouver improves their rightside depth (and gains some cap space and a draft pick).

I'm not sure how well Babchuk fits the Canucks' defensive systems and overall scheme, given that his footspeed and mobility have been issues. Still, he has a very strong and pretty accurate shot and some good offensive instincts. Has the potential to be a 10 goal, 35 point player and a solid PP contributor. He also has some weaknesses on the defensive side of his game and can make some poor decisions in his own end. Not very physical for a 6'5" player (and only about 200-205 lbs) and his consistency and compete-level have been questioned in the past.

Iceberg Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:24 AM
dave babych returns

I don't think I'd make the trade. Even if Babchuk is a better fit due to being able to play the right side, he's not what I'd want in the top four - I'm hoping the Canucks go out and find a significantly better player for that role.

Given that, Babchuk would be competing with Tanev on the right side and Ballard on the left; I'd prefer Tanev due to value, career trajectory etc. Ballard may be overpaid but is $1.7m really that big of a deal right now? I'd rather keep Ballard who is at least a hard worker, great teammate and committed player than swap him for a player the coaching staff may hate just as much who has a real indifferent streak...

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Why would Canuck fans want to do this? Ballard had a pretty solid season, by the end of it he really looked like he had our system figured out. There's zero reason to give the guy away, Babchuk is pretty bad as well as injury prone. There's no way Gillis would ever do this deal.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
FacepalmBenning
FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

YES!!!!

I love me some Babchuk, I've wanted that guy for quite a few years. Done and done.

FacepalmBenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:46 PM
14s incisor
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
I'd rather do the trade without the pick. We don't need to go back to a time where we give up draft picks for peanuts.
I agree about not giving up picks; however, the Canucks were getting the 4th rd pick, not giving it up, in his proposal.

14s incisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Keifer

As much as watching ballard drives me up the wall, a lot of our d men make horrible mistakes too but i am tough on keith because i expect more out of him and i believe he can find his stride.

In saying that I'd rather keep him and see how he does before the trade deadline

Keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
I agree about not giving up picks; however, the Canucks were getting the 4th rd pick, not giving it up, in his proposal.
nogger is a Flames fan and not Canucks fan, so his point stands.

This type of deal has been discussed on these boards quite a bit since well before the season ended, I would actually rather give up Jackman than the 4th though and it seems like alot of Canucks fans (at least on the main boards) would like to have Jackman.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
wholesickcrew

Smooth-skating Ballard for a pylon with a slapshot? No thanks.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Why would we trade Ballard now? the last few months of the season he was starting to look like the top 4 D man we thought we got a few years ago and he was arguably our best defenceman in the LA series.

I truly believe he will be in our top 4 next season.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Vignault just got three more years. Does Babchuk sound like a Vignault player? Obviously, not!

Gillis isn't going to run anybody out of town. That isn't him. Luongo, Malhotra, Raymond and Ballard will all be back.

Canucks are a lot better off adding a FA like Allen, than trading for a guy that won't fit.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
14s incisor
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
nogger is a Flames fan and not Canucks fan, so his point stands.

This type of deal has been discussed on these boards quite a bit since well before the season ended, I would actually rather give up Jackman than the 4th though and it seems like alot of Canucks fans (at least on the main boards) would like to have Jackman.
Ahh. Thanks. I was confused, as there was a period where the Canucks gave out 2nd-4th rounders like they were worthless, as well.

I think I would prefer Jackman instead, also. He would be great on the 4th line.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
14s incisor
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Vignault just got three more years. Does Babchuk sound like a Vignault player? Obviously, not!

Gillis isn't going to run anybody out of town.That isn't him. Luongo, Malhotra, Raymond and Ballard will all be back.

Canucks are a lot better off adding a FA like Allen, than trading for a guy that won't fit.
You can't honestly believe that? I could see maybe Manny and Ballard back, but Lou and Raymond are as good as done.

With Lou and Raymond, Gillis wouldn't be "running anybody out of town," either. Lou wants out, and Raymond is an RFA, so he just has to not qualify him, and let him walk.