HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth potential free agent signing

Old
05-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
thanks to a good #1 Center and a great #1 goalie

coaching change helped them too

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Best of luck to him, but wouldn't want him. Think he'd cost too much and wouldn't really bring enough to the table.

And mildly surprised that he might be interested in testing the free agent market, as I honestly would've guessed that he would've wanted to end his career in Edmonton after finally getting back there.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
NO, it comes from the realization this team isn't going to be contending for anything except a playoff spot. Since that is the case, let's play the kids instead and still make the playoffs.

Just like I said at the TD. If all you are going to do is get Oduya, just play Olsen, we'll end up in the same place.
Have you not been paying attention to the NHL since the lockout? All you have to do is get the dance and anything can happen.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H a w k s View Post
Considering Morin was coming off a concussion, Beach at this time last year was still viewed as a high skilled big guy with even bigger idiocy and Smith is a 4th line guy.

Lets pin our 2nd line center spot this year on Danault, David Toews and Rob Flick
Smith is not a 4th line guy, and you need to give Beach a chance.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:27 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
yes, I am aware of that. But I thought he should have made the team out of camp.
lol, Beach had no business making the NHL after being a -24 in Rockford the year before (worst on the team comfortably, probably one of the worst in the league)

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
lol, Beach had no business making the NHL after being a -24 in Rockford the year before (worst on the team comfortably, probably one of the worst in the league)
who cares what you do the season before if you earn the shot in camp?

Then again, Salak beat Emery in camp, and they went with Emery.

Olesz also had a terrific camp, and was rewarded with 5 minutes a night, and a demotion.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
who cares what you do the season before if you earn the shot in camp?

Then again, Salak beat Emery in camp, and they went with Emery.

Olesz also had a terrific camp, and was rewarded with 5 minutes a night, and a demotion.
You're talking about "earning it" now, when earlier you were talking about playing the kids simply to play them over aging vets. Okay..

Salak was better than Emery.. but he had to be significantly better than Emery to beat out experience and he didn't do that. Then he went to Rockford and didn't perform any better there.

Olesz was surprisingly solid in camp and had a good game with Toews against Edmonton.. but he was always a guy that was seen as a bottom-6 option and even though I perosnally think he could have done better with more oppurtunity, it's not like he had shown alot at the point he was sent down. He was a better option than Brunette.. but Brunette is/was one of Q's guys.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
You're talking about "earning it" now, when earlier you were talking about playing the kids simply to play them over aging vets. Okay..

Salak was better than Emery.. but he had to be significantly better than Emery to beat out experience and he didn't do that. Then he went to Rockford and didn't perform any better there.

Olesz was surprisingly solid in camp and had a good game with Toews against Edmonton.. but he was always a guy that was seen as a bottom-6 option and even though I perosnally think he could have done better with more oppurtunity, it's not like he had shown alot at the point he was sent down. He was a better option than Brunette.. but Brunette is/was one of Q's guys.
I've always talked about earning it. That's why I don't understand people placing Saad on the first line for next season.

And Olesz would have been 20x better than Brunette.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Hawkaholic

Thank god Emery got the job over Salak..we would of missed the playoffs with that awful goalie.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Have you not been paying attention to the NHL since the lockout? All you have to do is get the dance and anything can happen.
this is right. Just think about our SC opponent. They made the POs on the last day of the season and have gone all the way to game 6 of the SC Finals.

but we don't have the goaltending for it. Crawford would be good behind our 09/10 teamm but he is not the goalie that takes a team like ours to the promise land

Old
05-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
this is right. Just think about our SC opponent. They made the POs on the last day of the season and have gone all the way to game 6 of the SC Finals.

but we don't have the goaltending for it. Crawford would be good behind our 09/10 teamm but he is not the goalie that takes a team like ours to the promise land
I don't think there are many who could take our team with our careless defense to the promised land.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

there are about 15-20 in the NHL that could do that

Old
05-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
there are about 15-20 in the NHL that could do that
I think you put too much faith in the way the Hawks played defensively last season.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:06 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no, I don't. Crawford let in goals he should have had at the worst time possible. In 09/10 the Hawks would have scored 3 goals before that point of time that Crawford could let in those goals.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
We don't need 2 'stars' like Suter, Parise...we need players who are willing to do WHATEVER it takes to win. Seems like our players don't want to do that.
Agreed, except this is the hardest part to quantify when scouting players. You can't measure a guy's heart as they say.

Quote:
NO, it comes from the realization this team isn't going to be contending for anything except a playoff spot. Since that is the case, let's play the kids instead and still make the playoffs.

Just like I said at the TD. If all you are going to do is get Oduya, just play Olsen, we'll end up in the same place.
We seem content to be middle/lower of the pack type of club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Wasn't LA contending for a playoff spot, and just barely squeaked in?
Look at them now.
They squeaked in after a horrendous start, they were on fire since 2012 started and kept it rolling. Different than most squeak-ins of note.

Quote:
Did I miss a memo or something. Has the model of building a team changed to: let's get in the playoff's and hope to get lucky instead of trying to build the best damn team possible?

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:04 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
If Bowman trades for Richards and Carter during the season, obviously, I can get on board with your theory.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Did I miss a memo or something. Has the model of building a team changed to: let's get in the playoff's and hope to get lucky instead of trying to build the best damn team possible?
No, the model remains: Put the best team on the ice come opening night.

Have people suddenly forgotten that Chicago has far more talent than Phoenix? The reason they lost wasn't because they were the less talented team, it's because Phoenix was the better team with a better coach. You can ***** and whine all you want that Bowman needs to "spend as much money as possible!!, derp" but the fact remains other GM's would cream themselves for one of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook or Sharp and Chicago has 6 of them.. beyond that, Chicago has arguabley the best shut-down centre in the NHL and a ridiculous amount of prospects/young players waiting in the wings.

I swear, the moronic thinking that Chicago isn't a Stanley Cup contender is a joke. I guess LA and NJ aren't Stanley Cup contenders either.. but one of them is winning the Cup this year.. which is obviously impossible because non-Stanley Cup contenders get knocked out in the first round, clearly.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Sarava

No need to get upset Hoss.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Upset? Annoyed..

Old
05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
No, the model remains: Put the best team on the ice come opening night.

Have people suddenly forgotten that Chicago has far more talent than Phoenix? The reason they lost wasn't because they were the less talented team, it's because Phoenix was the better team with a better coach. You can ***** and whine all you want that Bowman needs to "spend as much money as possible!!, derp" but the fact remains other GM's would cream themselves for one of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook or Sharp and Chicago has 6 of them.. beyond that, Chicago has arguabley the best shut-down centre in the NHL and a ridiculous amount of prospects/young players waiting in the wings.

I swear, the moronic thinking that Chicago isn't a Stanley Cup contender is a joke. I guess LA and NJ aren't Stanley Cup contenders either.. but one of them is winning the Cup this year.. which is obviously impossible because non-Stanley Cup contenders get knocked out in the first round, clearly.
You can't give up as many goals as we did and contend for anything but a low seeded playoff spot. Both the teams you mentioned are excellent defensively/goaltending wise.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
You can't give up as many goals as we did and contend for anything but a low seeded playoff spot. Both the teams you mentioned are excellent defensively/goaltending wise.
Both the teams I mentioned have less "talent" than Chicago but significantly better systems and much more structure in the way they play the game, all over the ice. They also have better goaltending, especially in LA.. but Chicago's already proven to themselves that they can win with average goaltending if they play a commited defensive game.

Besides, your logic doesn't allow for teams like LA and New Jersey to win Cups, or even get to the SCF, despite goaltending/systems. They weren't the best teams in their conferences, they were 6th seed and 8th seeds. 6th seeds and 8th seeds can't compete for the Cup, obviously.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Both the teams I mentioned have less "talent" than Chicago but significantly better systems and much more structure in the way they play the game, all over the ice. They also have better goaltending, especially in LA.. but Chicago's already proven to themselves that they can win with average goaltending if they play a commited defensive game.

Besides, your logic doesn't allow for teams like LA and New Jersey to win Cups, or even get to the SCF, despite goaltending/systems. They weren't the best teams in their conferences, they were 6th seed and 8th seeds. 6th seeds and 8th seeds can't compete for the Cup, obviously.
The Devils, I'll give that to you, improbable but in a much, much weaker conference. L.A., different story, coaching change, and a MEGA acquisition like Carter that helped turn their offense around. They also had a slug who turned it on big time, Penner, just like we used to have with Buff. Who do we have like that now? Nobody, really. And again, they traded for Richards and Carter.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:13 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
The Devils, I'll give that to you, improbable but in a much, much weaker conference. L.A., different story, coaching change, and a MEGA acquisition like Carter that helped turn their offense around. They also had a slug who turned it on big time, Penner, just like we used to have with Buff. Who do we have like that now? Nobody, really. And again, they traded for Richards and Carter.
They traded for Richards and Carter because they needed a Richards and a Carter. I'd love to have Richards and yes we do have a hole in the 2nd line centre spot but we don't need those players in the same way LA needed those players.

There 2010-11 team was this before the acquisitions:

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Smyth - Stoll - Simmonds
Ponikarovsky - Handzuz - Penner
Clifford - Richardson - Lewis

They had been ousted in the 1st round in back-to-back seasons and needed to take the step from being a team on the rise to a team in contention.

And please, don't compare Penner to Buff. Buff was dominant when he wanted to be, Penner is good when he wants to be but not dominant.

And again, as I've said numerous times.. you would have been calling for Dean Lombardi's head long before they acquired Richards and then Carter if you were a Kings fan.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
They had been ousted in the 1st round in back-to-back seasons and needed to take the step from being a team on the rise to a team in contention.
So have we, and they made the trades to become a force. I'm not saying I think we have the cap space, or even proposing trades here, but something needs to change, or we will be a team ousted in the 1st round in back-to-back-to-back seasons. We need to be that team that makes changes to rise to be a team in contention.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
So have we, and they made the trades to become a force. I'm not saying I think we have the cap space, or even proposing trades here, but something needs to change, or we will be a team ousted in the 1st round in back-to-back-to-back seasons. We need to be that team that makes changes to rise to be a team in contention.
Exactly. I still go back to an earlier thought after the TD that for that change to be forced, it may take missing the playoffs rather than a simple 1st round loss again. I'd hate to see it and it doesn't have to be like this but I can't see Bowman surviving a season like that, anyone, for that matter. It will be all new management and coaching.