HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft - All purpose draft thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I don't see it in the 1st but could see it with the 2nd especially if one of Dansk, Subban or Vasilevski are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't see them taking a goaltender in the first round, but if one of the three are still available in the second round, i'd jump on that.

Guys, if there is EVER a year to draft a goalie, it's in this draft if you're picking at #22. We'd be VERY LUCKY if we go a guy who ended up being a good 3rd liner or 3rd pairing Dman with that pick.

If going with Best Player Available, or best Asset available, it could very well be a goaltender. Add in the fact that we've got really good organizational depth at forward + defense and ZERO in goal, it actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Old
06-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
I didn't realize the NHL did all sorts of tests on the draft prospects at the combine, it seems a bit more comprehensive than the NFL one. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=8...id=DL|WPG|home if interested in taking a peak.
So Chris Calnan is a ****ing beast.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
regard

I have no idea how those Power outputs are calculated. Anyone?

Old
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Guys, if there is EVER a year to draft a goalie, it's in this draft if you're picking at #22. We'd be VERY LUCKY if we go a guy who ended up being a good 3rd liner or 3rd pairing Dman with that pick.

If going with Best Player Available, or best Asset available, it could very well be a goaltender. Add in the fact that we've got really good organizational depth at forward + defense and ZERO in goal, it actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.
I completely disagree with your assessment of the value of that pick. I dont know when the scale tipped but people are completely underrating this draft now. If anything you could say this draft has a lot of guys who got injured and its put some of their values all over the board. But there is a ton of talent, especially out of Europe and russia.

Guys like zharkov, slepyshev, prokhorkin, aberg, and bystrom should all be there, and imo all have legit top 6 or 4 potential. Sure you might shy from a khl guy like prokhorkin, but the talent will be there if Shero will take it. And if we go d, I honestly think bystrom could end one of the best defenders on this whole draft. Hes a fantastic hockey player.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Tried to get draft tickets this morning at 10..

All I got was:

Unfortunately one or more of your selected seats are no longer available. Please reselect new seats.

Your awesome ticket master.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Jahodac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Tried to get draft tickets this morning at 10..

All I got was:

Unfortunately one or more of your selected seats are no longer available. Please reselect new seats.

Your awesome ticket master.
Yep, or you get an error.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

Yeah I tried for Friday and couldn't get them and now I have Saturday ones but it's taking forever for me just to log in so I have a feeling I might be out of luck for the draft...

Old
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

Sorry to be so harsh, but your assessment here is absolutely brutal. You're basically saying unless we pick top 10, we, or any team for that matter, will not get a quality player.

What makes you think a goaltender can be a future #1 at #22 overall if a defensemen or forward is only a third liner?

Even if your assessment is true, explain why the 28th pick in the 2003 draft just won an MVP title?

Old
06-05-2012, 03:33 PM
regard

Despres and Morrow were drafted late 1st and thier turning out well.

Old
06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

This is turning out to be a pretty deep draft. I have no clue why some people are suggesting otherwise.

I can think of about half a dozen guys who will probably be there at 22 and all of them I can see having a lot of potential.

Old
06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Was looking at the past couple of seasons and picking at #22 doesn't seem so bad.

2006 Claude Giroux
2007 Max Pacioretty
2008 Jordan Eberle

Let's hope we have some luck as well

Old
06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
This is turning out to be a pretty deep draft. I have no clue why some people are suggesting otherwise.

I can think of about half a dozen guys who will probably be there at 22 and all of them I can see having a lot of potential.
Because it's always like that. Last year everyone was saying this was a deep draft, season goes by and then you start hearing all of a sudden it's not that deep and next year will be a deeper draft. It's always like that

Old
06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Trouba, Rielly, Reinhart, Ceci, Collberg, Pouliot, Aberg.

I'll be pretty stoked if one of those guys are around when we pick.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
BeefWellington
Enjoy the Ment.

I would love to land any of these players

Aberg, Girgensons, Kerdiles, Koekkoek, Hertl, Frk

Second round I would love if Mike Winther fell to us, but I kinda doubt it.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Trouba, Rielly, Reinhart, Ceci, Collberg, Pouliot, Aberg.

I'll be pretty stoked if one of those guys are around when we pick.
Reinhart will be a major shock if he slips out of the top ten.

The rest I can see slipping for various reasons, but Pouliot, Aberg and Ceci are more likely to slip closer to 22.

Old
06-06-2012, 12:29 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I would like to take a goalie late. There is a decent chance of getting some good talent in late rounds. Rinne 8th round, Quick 3rd round, Thomas 9th round, Lundqvist 7th round, Kiprusoff 5th round, Miller 5th round. Goalies will always fall because of their unpredictability.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rds/55421698/1

Redline Report really seems to like Aberg and has him listed as the 6th best fwd in the draft.

Quote:
At Red Line, our slight preference of the bunch would be Swedish winger Pontus Aberg because of his speed, hard-driving style, and aggressive play in the trenches. We like his ability to think on the fly and create off the rush.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Sorry to be so harsh, but your assessment here is absolutely brutal. You're basically saying unless we pick top 10, we, or any team for that matter, will not get a quality player.

What makes you think a goaltender can be a future #1 at #22 overall if a defensemen or forward is only a third liner?

Even if your assessment is true, explain why the 28th pick in the 2003 draft just won an MVP title?

When you're talking about Corey Perry at #28, you're talking about 2003 -- arguably THE BEST draft ever in the history of the NHL. To use that as an approximate example of what is to be expected from this draft is just not realistic, based on the consensus scouting reports.

What I am saying is based upon what I have heard from various public -- and some private -- scouting reports by people in the community. What I am hearing is that this draft compares not with 2003 (or 2008/9/ or others that people are mentioning), but rather with draft classes like 2002 and 2004.

If you look at the bottom 10 picks, or picks #22 or lower, you will see that on a % basis, it's not very likely you're getting an impact player. Please note: I never said it's impossible, and of course I'll be homering up whoever we select, beause I'm an optimisitc & excited Pens fan. But probability suggests that if we do draft a player that plays in the NHL at that point in the draft, it is most likely that they will not be a front-line player.

On the other hand -- and this by no means suggests taking a goalie is a guarantee of success -- Cory Schneider and Cam Ward were two players taken in the bottom
of the '04 and '02 drafts, respectively. I would clearly choose either one of those guys over any other players taken near that spot.

So the point that I was making is that people should be open-minded about taking a goalie in this draft if he's the BPA, because if we're picking at #22, it's "most probable" that if we drafted a forward or Dmen at that spot, they probably wouldn't be a top pairing Dman or 1st line forward. If, on the other hand, we can draft a guy who could be a #1 goaltender, that is way more valuable -- both to our team, with Fleury's inconsistency, and in terms of what is the most valuable asset.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
wej20

It could just be a mediocre #1 goalie though.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 550
Taking a goalie so early in the draft is so risky, mainly because there's no real margin for error. He either develops into a legitimate #1 goalie or he busts. There's really no in between. Even if the guy turns out to be a backup, that's hardly a 1st round pick well spent.

At least with forwards/defensemen there's more margin for error, even if he doesn't pan out as a top line/top pairing player. He could still end up being a solid pick even if he only ends up being a 2nd or 3rd liner, or a second or third pairing defender.

A perfect example of this is someone like David Legwand. Sure, he didn't pan out as the top line center Nashville wanted. But he's still managed to put up a solid career for them as a 2nd/3rd line center. He's been overall an asset to an organization, despite not living up to his "ceiling". Name one single goalie who didn't end up as a #1 goalie who still was seen as an asset to the club drafting him in the first round.

Even if you want to look at the Pens' own prospects as examples, it applies. Guys like Despres and Morrow don't have to end up being top pairing defensemen to be good picks. We hope they will become that, but even if they end up as solid #3 or #4 defensemen, they can still be a positive for the club. If we took a goalie in round 1 and he didn't pan out as a #1, and at best became a career backup, can the same be said about that was a good pick?

That's my biggest reason I don't like taking goalies that high. The fact that they have to basically reach their ceiling, or it ends up being a waste of a pick. Forwards/defensemen don't have to reach their ceiling to still pan out as positive assets for their club.

Old
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
If Shero takes a goalie with our 1st round pick, I think we can pretty much assume MAF will not be in Pittsburgh for many more years

Old
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Of course, but I'm certainly not advocating drafting a goalie just for the sake of it. What I'm saying is, if the BPA or best asset available is a goaltender, this is a good year to draft one -- because the quality of the top 2 or 3 goalies is likely going to be higher than the quality of the forwards available at #22.

Of course, if all the top goalies are taken by the time we pick, we simply move down our draft list and take our highest rated Dman or forward available. At the same time, as I am always an advocate of trading up, we may wish to consider moving up a few spots in the draft to get one of the top goaltenders.

As much as people here (myself included) may really want to see us have another skilled winger in our organization to play with our stars, anyone who doesn't think that depth at the goaltending position among our prospects is not clearly our biggest organizational weakness is not in touch with reality.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Flat Stanley

It's rare to see goalies get picked in the 1st round. Usually the best goalies start getting drafted in the 2nd round.

There are some decent goalies in this year's draft we can take in the 2nd round oe 3rd round if we really want one, 1st round pick should focus on a forward or D man.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Superstar Shane

Absolutely they should take a goalie if that's the best player available. Who here wouldn't kill to be in Vancouver's situation goaltender-wise 5 years from now? We could definitely find ourselves in a similar situation if we draft a goaltender who really pans out well. Shero has a proven knack for trading from a surplus to address a need, and I don't see why his philosophy of drafting BPA regardless of need would change just because the best player happens to be a goaltender.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

There's no need to waste a 1st on a goaltender as some have mentioned already.

2nd on is fine.

Closed Thread