HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft - All purpose draft thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Sniper Cele

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Might see Scott Niedermayer with the Ducks.
This is exactly the type of guy I'm looking for. Is he actually working for the Ducks right now or is this merely a guess of someone who might show up to introduce themselves to the draft picks?

Old
06-11-2012, 12:05 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
This is exactly the type of guy I'm looking for. Is he actually working for the Ducks right now or is this merely a guess of someone who might show up to introduce themselves to the draft picks?
I think he's working with the Ducks in some sort of Front Office capacity, He was there when they picked Fowler I'm pretty sure. If they pick a Fin then maybe they'll bring Selanne along.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I'm confident in saying Shero WILL NOT draft a goalie with his 1st round pick. He'll trade it before then. This organization is sticking with MAF throughout his contract, at the very least. For better or worse.
I'm not in favor of drafting a goalie in the 1st round (for reasons I've stated earlier in this thread), but I don't think the above would be the reason Shero didn't do it.

The goalie drafted is 18 years old. By the time he's ready for regular NHL duty, he'll probably be 22, 23, or 24 years old. That's 4 to 6 years down the road, at which time Fleury will be 31-33. Assume an additional 1 to 2 years as backup, which then bumps Fleury up to near 35 years old by the time the guy we drafted is ready to take the reins as #1 goalie.

Also, what about if Fleury gets injured? With no alternatives in the system to replace him, we'd have to turn to free agency and hope that there's a good enough #1 available (and at the price that's good for the Pens) that can replace him.

So while I'm not in favor of the idea of using a 1st round pick on a goalie, I can see Shero doing so even with Fleury entrenched as "the man" for the next half dozen years.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Flat Stanley

I think Shero will use a 1st round pick on a goalie in the future, just not this year. There are other needs to be addressed.

Shero can use a 1st rounder on a goalie in 2 or 3 years to build goalie prospect depth.

I wouldn't mind Shero going for a goalie in the 3rd this year, I mentioned a guy like Brandon Whitney in the Penguins prospects thread.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think Shero will use a 1st round pick on a goalie in the future, just not this year. There are other needs to be addressed.

Shero can use a 1st rounder on a goalie in 2 or 3 years to build goalie prospect depth.

I wouldn't mind Shero going for a goalie in the 3rd this year, I mentioned a guy like Brandon Whitney in the Penguins prospects thread.
I can see it being done this year if Shero makes a move and trades for another 1st rounder. Say we do trade Staal hypothetically and acquire another 1st, with the 22nd I can see a goalie being picked

Old
06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Why would you waste a 1st round pick when history has shown that good goalies usually drop into later rounds?

Old
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Do we have the right coaches in place to develop a top G? I have to wonder because we haven't produced one guy who looked like he was ready for the big show in recent years. Someone else could comment more intelligently than I but it seems to me more than other positions you need coaches in the system who are proven at developing a goalie's talents and overcoming their weak edges.

That hasn't happened with Curry (who I think people liked when we first got him), Pechurski, etc. Even going back before that to the dark days... Tim Salmon, right? When's the last time we produced a starting or even backup G? Fleury is not a guy who you can look at and say "we brought him up through the system and developed him over time" either. The Moose we acquired, all our backups we acquired.

It occurs to me our organization might not have what it takes to develop the raw materials with someone like Subban. Not without investing in new coaches, etc.
I'm just going to note that Gilles Meloche has been the goaltending coach/consultant for the Penguins for pretty much the last 20 years, and until this past season, they didn't have a separate goaltender development coach. So it's been Meloche, and nobody but Meloche, involved in the development of Penguins' goaltenders for two decades. I'll just leave it at that...

Old
06-11-2012, 11:19 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

How much can a goalie coach really do? Tell him to have a short memory? I'm sure they already know to stay on their angles & control rebounds. I don't think you can coach a player into being a good goalie or not coach him into being a bad one.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
How much can a goalie coach really do? Tell him to have a short memory? I'm sure they already know to stay on their angles & control rebounds. I don't think you can coach a player into being a good goalie or not coach him into being a bad one.
Depends on the coach. I'd bet Mike Smith would disagree when talking about Sean Burke. Obviously Tippett's system has a lot to do with it as well.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
If his skating takes a huge jump he could be a steal but as of now that skating is just ughhh. I wouldn't be devastated but I think there will be better players available.
IMO skating is one of the more correctable skills as long as foot speed is there. I remember a lot of people on these board hating Towes when he played for NDak because he was kind of an ugly skater.

I keep trying to think of who HS reminds me of. I think I'll go with Brian Propp. Mostly because how he thinks the game offsets any kind of a skating issue and he has a pretty good shot too. Not saying he's going to be as good but thats his style.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:59 PM
wej20

What channel do they show the draft on in the US? Is it NBC Sports Network or the NHL network?

Old
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
What channel do they show the draft on in the US? Is it NBC Sports Network or the NHL network?
NBC Sports Network for round 1. NHL Network for rounds 2-7.

Unless they changed it.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:08 PM
wej20

Quote:
NBC Sports Network for round 1. NHL Network for rounds 2-7.

Unless they changed it.
Awesome, Round 1 is what I'm most interested in watching.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I hope this year the hosts won't talk over the picks being announced in rounds 2 onwards. Annoyed me last year.

I know the 1st round is 7:00EST

What time is the 2nd - 7th rounds?

Old
06-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I hope this year the hosts won't talk over the picks being announced in rounds 2 onwards. Annoyed me last year.

10am - 2 or 3pm.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
I'm just going to note that Gilles Meloche has been the goaltending coach/consultant for the Penguins for pretty much the last 20 years, and until this past season, they didn't have a separate goaltender development coach. So it's been Meloche, and nobody but Meloche, involved in the development of Penguins' goaltenders for two decades. I'll just leave it at that...
Yah that's ... a concern. 20 years sounds more like tenure than keeping it by earning it (producing good goalies and backups). Is he a friend of the Lemieux family or something?

Old
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
wej20

Quote:
10am - 2 or 3pm.
Thanks, might to watch that if it's being streamed somewhere. I remember watching it for the 2010 draft and I felt they spent too much time talking about the day 1 picks instead of concentrating on day 2 guys.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah that's ... a concern. 20 years sounds more like tenure than keeping it by earning it (producing good goalies and backups). Is he a friend of the Lemieux family or something?
From the Pen's website ( http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56531 ):

Quote:
Meloche, 60, served as a Penguins scout from 1989-2006 and also doubled as a goaltending coach/consultant during much of that time. He was part of the staff when the Penguins won Stanley Cups in 1991 and 1992.
That seems to go a bit beyond just being a friend of the Lemieux family, seeing as how he has been the goaltending consultant/coach since before Lemieux owned the team.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
clefty
What?

Shane Clifford was the team's goaltender coach for 2005-06 with Gilles Meloche scouting on a full time basis, and he was fired after a brief period along with Edzo and Randy Hillier. Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo were joined by Gilles Lefebvre from Wilkes-Barre who took over the position for the remainder of the season.

When Ray Shero took over, Lefebvre was moved on and Meloche was reassigned again, this time from full time scout to full time goaltender coach. It seems to me the Penguins, after going without him for a season, made a pretty informed decision that Meloche was the right person for the job.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
NHL draft prospects will ride incline, take riverboat trip and take batting practice before a Pirates game next week in Pittsburgh #Penguins
Pretty cool.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
They seem to do that every year. On TSN, they also tend to stick to discussing the Canadian teams, which is even more annoying when the non-Canadian teams are drafting and they don't even acknowledge it.

Quote:

Rounds 2 to 7 are the following day (Saturday), usually beginning around 10 or 11 am, I believe.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:03 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I hope coverage for this starts picking up. NHL network is just airing several hours of NHL live non stop.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
They seem to do that every year. On TSN, they also tend to stick to discussing the Canadian teams, which is even more annoying when the non-Canadian teams are drafting and they don't even acknowledge it
Yeah, I remember when we picked Morrow, they just kept talking about Toronto and Biggs. I don't think they'll skimp over us this year with the draft in Pittsburgh however.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:15 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Yeah, I remember when we picked Morrow, they just kept talking about Toronto and Biggs. I don't think they'll skimp over us this year with the draft in Pittsburgh however.
None of the Canadian teams are picking that close to us barring a trade so we should get some good coverage (Nucks are closest but they're after us).

Old
06-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Flat Stanley

What's funny about draft coverages, is that they don't even remember who our pick was the year before.

2010 NHL Draft (Beau Bennett): "I think Pittsburgh should pick a defenseman this year, they haven't drafted one since 2002" We picked Simon Despres the previous year.

2011 NHL Draft (Joe Morrow): "Penguins should take a forward, they took defenseman Simon Despres last year" We picked Beau Bennett the year before.

Closed Thread