HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do Connolly, Armstrong, and Lombardi fit next year?

Old
05-30-2012, 04:31 AM
dballislife2

vCash: 500
Where do Connolly, Armstrong, and Lombardi fit next year?

3 guys i do not want on this team and imo aren't needed, but they have big contracts and pretty much zero value so we're stuck with all three, they're either not skilled enough anymore for 1-2 line or not tough and gritty enough for 3-4, wasting the time of young guys that can easily take their spots too, what to do with these 3

dballislife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Aplayaz2000

Burke usually trades useless players for picks, or a good prospect.

But whether you like them or not, they are still part of the team.

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:04 AM
akacesfan
Leafs/Aces/Seawolves

vCash: 536
Connolly - Keep him. I think he'll bounce back this year.

Armstrong - Trade him. There are guys that play the same role he does for half the cap space. Hence why in NHL 12, I traded him to Columbus for Derek Dorsett.

Lombardi - I'm really not sure. I'd say give him the preseason and see what he does.

akacesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:13 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Trade.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:52 AM
agropop

They'd fit nicely into a cab on its way to Ricoh

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:52 AM
ITM

Armstrong and Lombardi...if they can bring back any picks...done and done.

Connolly, I actually like. If a better piece is available obviously you move him, but with a very shallow UFA market, I think it's best to keep him.

I still think he's got a 55-65 point season in him. With a new start, an extra player or two, while playing for his next contract, Toronto could benefit greatly.

Sidenote: For such a talented player (Drafted 5th - gulp - overall '99), I'm amazed he never broke out at least a couple of seasons as a ppg or near ppg player.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:25 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

what about grabb...crabb?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Edgeworth*

Armstrong was never a bad player when he was healthy so he can stay.
Lombardi has got to at least be looked at and given a shot because he's one of the more tradeable players if he can have a bounce-back season.

Connolly is the worst arguably and probably won't be able to meaningfully contribute at all.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Pressbox:

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:15 AM
BlueMapleDawg

They don't.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:42 AM
SprDaVE

I'd keep Armstrong personally. Loved in the dressing room, nothing but good things off the ice really.

Third time is the charm I guess? First 2 years were plagued with injuries, he's bound to have a good healthy year.

I thought he was great in his first year but he was just injured all the time. This past year though he sucked big time.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
SteveV*

If Lombardi dons a Leafs jersey this year we are in serious trouble. Whatever you do Burke trade no leadership, soft as a marshmellow, skate around, get rubbed out in the corners, Lombo, the guy is useless. Don't care about his concussion, he had one good season in the NHL, other than speed, he doesn't make a team better, and his lack of heart last year was staggering.

I'd dump Armstrong as well, he isn't anywhere near the player he was when he came here, big disappointment.

If anyone will take Connolly, see ya!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:45 AM
The Iceman

I would say Lombardi is a HUGE bounce back candidate.
He basically could not train for 1 year and was rushed back in to the line-up when we became short of bodies last year.
A summer off and full training camp will do the world of good for him.
Armstrong should be moved.
TC is basically un-moveable unless you take a similarly useless over paid body back.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
re5piration
'67 til

They'd fit nicely anywhere outside of Toronto.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:54 AM
thecatch22

On the Marlies. Frattin/Kadri would have a hard time replacing the 21 goals the trio combined to score last year

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:55 AM
wynne

As nice as it would be not to see any of them on the team next year, I see all 3 being here to start.

Tim Connolly - I see him starting the season as the #1 center, but if his pre-season sucks, 3rd line winger.

Matthew Lombardi - Same deal as Connolly, but the other way around. I see him starting 3rd or 4th line, 3rd line center. I could see Carlyle having him up with Lupul and Kessel at some point, but it won't last long.

Colby Amrstrong - 4th line wing, or press box, especially if Crabb is resigned.

wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Phatic

On Lombardi: after talking with Flames fans , i think what we saw last year is what you can expect to see again, lots of speed with no finish. I would like to see him moved-have kulemin drop down to 3rd line-bring in scoring winger for grab/mac (semin?)

On Connolly: overpaid yes, but still a very good player. problem is he doesnt fit any roll on this team currently. having said that, Id like to see him between Frattin and Kulemin next year. thoughts?

On Armstrong: never liked what i saw, but havent seen much. he does havea a good attitude (likely good in dressing room) but tough to understand how he garnered a 3M paycheque.

if nothing changes :
lupul-bozak-kessel
kadri-grabovski-macarthur
kulemin-connolly-frattin
brown-steckle-armstrong

lombardi gone/ahl

Phatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
mokspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
Armstrong and Lombardi...if they can bring back any picks...done and done.

Connolly, I actually like. If a better piece is available obviously you move him, but with a very shallow UFA market, I think it's best to keep him.

I still think he's got a 55-65 point season in him. With a new start, an extra player or two, while playing for his next contract, Toronto could benefit greatly.

Sidenote: For such a talented player (Drafted 5th - gulp - overall '99), I'm amazed he never broke out at least a couple of seasons as a ppg or near ppg player.
Agreed - I think Connolly will have a bounce back year. He had a couple of injuries that really stopped him from getting in the groove. I remember reading that even in the middle of the summer, he stopped drinking because it hampered his training. If he can get through training camp and the pre-season without an injury (knock on wood), I truly think he'll be 1st line centre again.

As for Lombo and Army, I would try to trade them... Army might get us a pick because of his leadership and presence, but Lombo might need to get buried in the AHL...

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:40 AM
wynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
On Lombardi: after talking with Flames fans , i think what we saw last year is what you can expect to see again, lots of speed with no finish. I would like to see him moved-have kulemin drop down to 3rd line-bring in scoring winger for grab/mac (semin?)

On Connolly: overpaid yes, but still a very good player. problem is he doesnt fit any roll on this team currently. having said that, Id like to see him between Frattin and Kulemin next year. thoughts?

On Armstrong: never liked what i saw, but havent seen much. he does havea a good attitude (likely good in dressing room) but tough to understand how he garnered a 3M paycheque.

if nothing changes :
lupul-bozak-kessel
kadri-grabovski-macarthur
kulemin-connolly-frattin
brown-steckle-armstrong

lombardi gone/ahl
Switch Mac and Kulemin

wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:50 AM
BlueBaron

I agree with a few suggestions here.

Connolly to those who know anything about hockey and dont just value a player on one year is our most talented center and unless a trade is made I see him starting the year on the top line. He is an ideal candidate to be traded at the deadline if the season go's south.

Armstrong is better than most people here think. He got his contract because of his physicality, personality and his ability to pot 20 goals when health. If healthy and playing well he is an ideal third liner.

Lombardi is in my opinion the guy most likely to get the shaft. He is in theory a second line center on a bad team but he really does not have many qualities we need. I have a feeling he gets moved for almost nothing or becomes a Marlie to clear up space for our goalie and a vetran penalty killer with leadership skills.

So that leave us at

Lupul Connoly Kessel
CMac Grabs Kuley
Kadri Bozak Army
Crab Steck Brown

Problem is Frattin looks ready too. I think Bozak and CMac have to moved to allow for upgrade. We really have too many players right now in every position. Burke will make some move, question is what ?

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

All three players had very poor seasons, are overpaid for what they bring to the team and will be difficult challenge to move out as a result.

So until further notice or until things change Lombardi, Armstrong & Connolly will continue to make up 3/4 of L.A.C.K and occupy nearly $12 mil in cap space and comprise Leafs 3rd forward line.

If the new CBA removes the loophole to allow rich teams to bury their mistakes in the AHL and off the cap then we better hope they rebound.

05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I'd keep Armstrong personally. Loved in the dressing room, nothing but good things off the ice really.

Third time is the charm I guess? First 2 years were plagued with injuries, he's bound to have a good healthy year.

I thought he was great in his first year but he was just injured all the time. This past year though he sucked big time.
Here's to the players who give good dressing room, and are funny in front of the cameras. It doesn't matter how badly you play on the ice as long as we have fans who praise such useless qualities.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:09 AM
samwitch

A healthy arm dog could be a solid contributor on 3rd/4th line IMO.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Pretty much this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
All three players had very poor seasons, are overpaid for what they bring to the team and will be difficult challenge to move out as a result.

So until further notice or until things change Lombardi, Armstrong & Connolly will continue to make up 3/4 of L.A.C.K and occupy nearly $12 mil in cap space and comprise Leafs 3rd forward line.

If the new CBA removes the loophole to allow rich teams to bury their mistakes in the AHL and off the cap then we better hope they rebound.
Their contracts and poor play will no doubt make it difficult for the team to make the playoffs once again.

I am confident Burke will get rid of one of the SLACK guys before the season starts.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Kitsy

Give them all a shot in the pre-season to earn a spot on the roster if we aren't having cap issues. Lombardi, Armstrong and Connolly have all been competent NHLers before and I think Connolly is prime for a bounce back (55 point season) with the right minutes.

If not:
Lombardi to the AHL
Connolly to the 3rd/4th line until we can hopefully send him somewhere at the deadline
Armstrong to the press box unless we can scrounge a 6th round pick off someone.

We are a young team. It's not the end of the world to have these guys carrying unnecessary weight for next season. The like of Kormarov, Colborne, Kadri (preferably top six), Frattin, Steckel, Brown all provide cheap bottom 6 options for next season. I would like to see, if everyone plays to expectations:

Lupul - Bozak/Connolly - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Kadri - Bozak/Connolly - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov (heard he can play wing)
Extras: Lombardi, Armstrong
AHL call-ups: Colborne, D'Amigo, Dupuis, Zigomanis

This forward crew makes me happy. Obviously a worrying hole at center but plenty of depth. If Bozak can grow into a Brendan Morrison type contributor and Lupul is a consistent 65pt + guy we have an slightly above average forward core. Tim Connolly may make Toronto fans clamour for another two year deal around 4 million at this end of next season if he puts up points like he is capable of.

P.S. Just looking at this makes me too excited for words for the upcoming draft and the possibility of landing Galy or Grigs.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote