HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Right lie for defensive defenseman

Old
10-12-2014, 08:20 PM
mattw4466

vCash: 500
Right lie for defensive defenseman

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you all thought was the best lie for a defensive defenseman. 90 percent of my game is basic/solid stick handling and passing, and the other ten percent is basically blue line slap shots.

I go back and forth between a sherwood pp09 curve and a bauer pm9 curve, lies 5.5 and 5 respectively.

The pm9 gives me a way better handle and the ability to pass from out in front of my body due to the lower lie, and the pp09 gives me a harder slap shot, probably due in part to the blade pattern but also because the higher lie allows me to shoot the puck from closer to my body.

Is the right lie for passing, and the right lie for slap shots, competing agendas?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks guys.

mattw4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 06:58 AM
MattGTI

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a better answer(lot of great stick guys around here).
However, I'm going to say there is no better lie for defenseman as opposed to any other position. There is only a better/best lie to suit you, and your mechanics.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 07:48 AM
wils5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
Hopefully someone will be able to give you a better answer(lot of great stick guys around here).
However, I'm going to say there is no better lie for defenseman as opposed to any other position. There is only a better/best lie to suit you, and your mechanics.
^^^^ this and stick length that you use. I find the shorter the stick i use the flatter lie I need but it really does come down to what you like and style of play

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 08:17 AM
AIREAYE

The two posters above have touched upon the main points.

Shooting technique and stick length play a much greater factor as opposed to lie. Stick lie between brands and even within brands are inconsistent as everyone measures it differently. Don't go by what th elie number is at all and if possible, eyeball the differences.

I would first compare the length of your Bauer and Sherwood to see if that's the same, next I would compare the lies by holding the blades together and comparing the angle that the shaft makes.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 10:56 AM
TieClark

^ ^ ^
Yup I'll echo what was said above. There is no "correct" lie for a defensive defenceman, simply a correct stick for you.

Also echo the fact that lie isn't very important, especially because they're directly connected to the curve you get.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 11:24 AM
mattw4466

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The two posters above have touched upon the main points.

Shooting technique and stick length play a much greater factor as opposed to lie. Stick lie between brands and even within brands are inconsistent as everyone measures it differently. Don't go by what th elie number is at all and if possible, eyeball the differences.

I would first compare the length of your Bauer and Sherwood to see if that's the same, next I would compare the lies by holding the blades together and comparing the angle that the shaft makes.
Same length, 56 inches, pretty short, about up to my adams apple in skates. The sherwood is a little higher of a lie, enough to make passing a lot more of a chore than with the pm9.

mattw4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 01:54 PM
TieClark

That's much shorter than most players would use... D also typically have longer sticks but that's just preference.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote