HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ryan Smyth injured in senior AAA game

Old
03-13-2017, 03:31 PM
BillDerlago
They did it Naylor

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth injured in senior AAA game

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/f...nior-aaa-game/

Quote:
Former Edmonton Oilers fan favourite Ryan Smyth was injured Sunday during a Senior AAA hockey game in Alberta after being on the receiving end of an illegal elbow.

Smyth, who has been playing for the Stony Plain Eagles, was knocked out by Lacombe Generals forward Kyle Sheen midway through the third period of Game 1 of a provincial finals series moments after Smyth had scored a go-ahead goal.
Hearing about this sort of thing makes me sick. Some duster looking for his 15 seconds of fame and cheap-shotting a former pro.

Sounds like a Hunter-on-Turgeon situation

BillDerlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 04:17 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

Not really sure why a former NHL star would even bother. There's always some guy who thinks he's gotta prove himself and have a story to tell to the boys at the bar.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
What bothers me the most is that no one stepped up for Smyth. His teammates are cowards. The guy's teeth should be on the ice after a hit like that.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 07:55 PM
oldunclehue

Watched he hit multiple times, people have to remember many Senior AAA guys played minor pro hockey during the early 2000's and grew up in the era of big hits, fights and a rougher game. Sheen is a 1983 born player, grew up in the WHL era of Colton Orr, Derek boogaard and many other legendary former NHL enforcers. Senior is a rougher brand of hockey...the rules are slightly different. Although this hit now has national news attention and will be called much differently than if it was some no name player who was hit.

The hit...for a guy like Sheen, he grew up and played where guys cutting across the middle got hit, and hit hard. So yes, by today's hockey standard it's a dirty check because Smyth was in a vulnerable position , but I've watched in 20 times now, in slow motion and everything.

1. Hit is not late, 1.35 seconds after he shoots.
2. Elbows/arms are down during body contact, come up as he finishes through the hit.
3. Hard to tell head contact as principal point.
4. Vulnerable position yes, but do we fully blame the guy who grew up with vulnerable players paying the price, or does Smyth have some fault for cutting across the middle, towards the backcheck with his head down? I'd say he should know better especially playing against guys who made a living in lower minor pro leagues where the game is rougher and tougher.

Hope he's ok and sticks it out!

oldunclehue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Burnaby Joe
Makar!

vCash: 835
Senior AAA is a great league. A friend of mine played on Smytty's team the last couple years (not this year), he said Smyth takes a beating. I saw the video a few times, hard to tell if Sheen's elbow hit Smyth's head or not. I think it was a late hit, though. Beauty goal by Smyth, by the way.

Burnaby Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Stand Witness
Time to Rebuild

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
What bothers me the most is that no one stepped up for Smyth. His teammates are cowards. The guy's teeth should be on the ice after a hit like that.
You do realize that it is men league (although admittedly competitive) and that they have wives, kids, and jobs to go to as soon as the game ends?

03-13-2017, 09:12 PM
puckpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldunclehue View Post
4. Vulnerable position yes, but do we fully blame the guy who grew up with vulnerable players paying the price, or does Smyth have some fault for cutting across the middle, towards the backcheck with his head down? I'd say he should know better especially playing against guys who made a living in lower minor pro leagues where the game is rougher and tougher.
Of course we can fully blame the guy. I certainly don't think we should be blaming the victim. I grew up in a time when certain three-letter-words were were acceptable to use as general insults, but you know what happened? Times changed, and I adjusted my behaviour accordingly.

When you frame this point in a different context it becomes laughable.

For example, I'm old. I grew up in a time when crime was at an all-time high, so I carry a gun. If someone makes me afraid I might shoot them. Someone made me afraid by looking at me strange, so shot them. I shouldn't be fully to blame because I grew up in a more violent time. It should be obvious from my gray hairs that people should avoid making me afraid. It's obvious what I have to do. My fear demands that I shoot them. It's their fault for looking at me.

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 09:58 PM
McRobbiezyg

Colby armstrong and ryan whitney are snickering somewhere in a corner together

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 10:19 PM
ccarrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews 2 the Leafs View Post
You do realize that it is men league (although admittedly competitive) and that they have wives, kids, and jobs to go to as soon as the game ends?
So don't play in a full checking league? Hit was bad but not THAT bad. Work is just gonna suck tomorrow.

ccarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 10:22 PM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Watched he hit multiple times, people have to remember many Senior AAA guys played minor pro hockey during the early 2000's and grew up in the era of big hits, fights and a rougher game. Sheen is a 1983 born player, grew up in the WHL era of Colton Orr, Derek boogaard and many other legendary former NHL enforcers. Senior is a rougher brand of hockey...the rules are slightly different. Although this hit now has national news attention and will be called much differently than if it was some no name player who was hit.

The hit...for a guy like Sheen, he grew up and played where guys cutting across the middle got hit, and hit hard. So yes, by today's hockey standard it's a dirty check because Smyth was in a vulnerable position , but I've watched in 20 times now, in slow motion and everything.

2. Elbows/arms are down during body contact, come up as he finishes through the hit.

I think the nhl uses 0.6 seconds as the max time.. so yes.. its late. the guy jumped too

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 10:39 PM
Ozz

Quote:
The beer leagues I play in, if someone were to be hit like that the game would end shortly after because it would erupt into a melee in about 3 seconds. I've seen such for far less than a hit like that, and I'm sure there is worse at other rinks all across the world.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Forever a Caps fan

vCash: 439
Quote:
If someone rails my friend or even just a random teammate like that in front of me, I'll go after them for sure. I mean, they don't play hockey for a living but that can't go unanswered either. Even a little scrum to tell him he's an *******. Some of these guys are former goons, they should be up for at least one dance after a hit like that.

In the leagues I've played in, a hit like that would result in a fight or a brawl if the game was heated.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 11:59 PM
takehisheadoff

vCash: 538
It is a goo hockey league with lots of great players that is too bad. We are still trying to get a rule in my beer league where backchecking is eventually going to be a penalty.

takehisheadoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 12:16 AM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

I understand why guys like that still want to play and compete even though it's not the highest level anymore. They're not hanging on to anything, they just love playing, competing and some level of cameraderie. It's for fun.

It's a bit of a thrill playing against them, but a shame too that you have brainless no name idiots looking to make a name for themselves by cheap shotting a former star.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 01:37 PM
oldunclehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpilot View Post
Of course we can fully blame the guy. I certainly don't think we should be blaming the victim. I grew up in a time when certain three-letter-words were were acceptable to use as general insults, but you know what happened? Times changed, and I adjusted my behaviour accordingly.

When you frame this point in a different context it becomes laughable.

For example, I'm old. I grew up in a time when crime was at an all-time high, so I carry a gun. If someone makes me afraid I might shoot them. Someone made me afraid by looking at me strange, so shot them. I shouldn't be fully to blame because I grew up in a more violent time. It should be obvious from my gray hairs that people should avoid making me afraid. It's obvious what I have to do. My fear demands that I shoot them. It's their fault for looking at me.

That might be the dumbest comparison I've ever read. Hockey is a contact sport where you have to make decisions not to put yourself in a position where you could be hurt, it's taught at a young age, cutting across he middle with head down and then back up ice towards the back check is a dumb move. Kinda like Jaywalking down an 8 lane freeway in heavy traffic. He's not to blame for being hit, he's to blame for putting himself in an awful position. Guy could of made a lighter hit or not hit him at all, I get that. But in a contact sport I don't trust anyone else to watch my back, I make sure I don't make bad choices....Smythe should of as well.

Old
03-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
You realize that logic applies to the hit, right?

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 02:19 PM
STC

I don't understand why any adult would play check hockey unless they were getting paid.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 02:41 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I don't understand why any adult would play check hockey unless they were getting paid.
There's about 52 million some odd reasons. Homeboy made his money already.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Stand Witness
Time to Rebuild

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
You realize that logic applies to the hit, right?
and I would agree 100% with that logic applying to the hit.

Stand Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Pez68

Quote:

That's a penalty in ANY league, in any era. This guy is a worthless goon. Enforcers don't exist anymore, and especially not outside of pro hockey.... Might be one of the worst rationalizations defending a dirty hit that I've ever seen. Plays like this have no place in hockey and never have. I say that having grown up playing in his era, and earlier.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 03:55 PM
puckpilot

Quote:
That might be the dumbest comparison I've ever read. Hockey is a contact sport where you have to make decisions not to put yourself in a position where you could be hurt, it's taught at a young age, cutting across he middle with head down and then back up ice towards the back check is a dumb move. Kinda like Jaywalking down an 8 lane freeway in heavy traffic. He's not to blame for being hit, he's to blame for putting himself in an awful position. Guy could of made a lighter hit or not hit him at all, I get that. But in a contact sport I don't trust anyone else to watch my back, I make sure I don't make bad choices....Smythe should of as well.
Yeah-yeah victim blame.

Your analogy is flawed again. The right analogy with the freeway would be if a car deliberately swerved to target and run someone over. If that car didn't target the pedestrian, everyone would have been fine, because this was no accident. Of course you'd still blame the person for crossing.

Believe whatever you want. I'll listen to the advice of who not to argue with.

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 04:32 PM
oldunclehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpilot View Post
Yeah-yeah victim blame.

Your analogy is flawed again. The right analogy with the freeway would be if a car deliberately swerved to target and run someone over. If that car didn't target the pedestrian, everyone would have been fine, because this was no accident. Of course you'd still blame the person for crossing.

Believe whatever you want. I'll listen to the advice of who not to argue with.
But yet the person crossing the road can still receive a Jaywalking ticket.

- I'm not saying the hit wasn't dirty, I'm simply saying that Smyth should also (and I bet his is sitting there thinking) he shouldn't of cut to the middle, head down, and then back towards the back check, because it made him an easy target.

Sheen should be suspended, I hope Smyth gets better quick, but I hope Sheen's life isn't ruined because he made a split second decision to finish a check on a vulnerable player.

Old
03-14-2017, 04:49 PM
Dirty Old Man
And yet, we remain

Quote:
Sheen should be suspended, I hope Smyth gets better quick, but I hope Sheen's life isn't ruined because he made a split second decision to finish a check on a vulnerable player.
Huh? If he's, say, suspended for life, is his life ruined?

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 05:41 PM
oldunclehue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Old Man View Post
Huh? If he's, say, suspended for life, is his life ruined?
No but people are calling for him to be fired from his job, charged criminally and to Do awful things to his family.

Old
03-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
There is lots of fighting in Senior hockey. Not Jr B level, but a fair amount.

Auston Marlander is offline   Reply With Quote