HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SCF | Game 1 | L.A. Kings at Your New Jersey Devils | 8PM EDT

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 500
I've been wearing my Kovalchuk player shirt around campus since I got it two years ago and no one has ever said anything to me about it. Already two people have talked to me about the Devils and how great they are.

The dude at Subway told me he loves Brodeur and wants to see him win another one. And one of my bio professors asked me who the really handsome Russian guy with the beard was on our team.

I live in Buffalo. People are starting to wake up and pay attention to this team.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Travel back in time 10 years and tell people that in 2012 the Stanley Cup Finals would be opening in Newark, NJ.

It still has not set in that when I leave work at 5 (or maybe 4:45) I will be on my way to game 1 of the SCF.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

If the Kings come out rusty, they need to pounce on them. Get a goal early. Make them feel uncomfortable for a change.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Unreal. Loving this.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

The Kings have been incredible in the playoffs. I'm impressed, but I think this will be their toughest opponent in us. Vancouver was very impressive. It was impressive to see them win, Phoenix overachieved a little I think.

St Louis REALLY overachieved. Let's be serious here. I don't even think the Blues are as good as the Islanders, or Avs, and I aint even kidding. Something Hitchcock did worked out incredibly well for them. yeah they beat the Sharks in like 5 games, but the Sharks at the end of the season for a while there didn't even look like they were gonna be in the playoffs. The Blues impressed me, but they weren't as good as they looked. Brian Elliott turned into that really bad backup he was in Colorado, and Ottawa. After his awful play in that series it's evident he probably shouldn't be a starting goaltender. Though I by no means pin the series loss on him. The team just wasn't that good, and you could see someone was gonna come, and knock them down.

Old
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

The Cup i made has been sitting on my desk all day.

Cannot wait!

Old
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
If the Kings come out rusty, they need to pounce on them. Get a goal early. Make them feel uncomfortable for a change.
The first 10 minutes of the 1st period will be crucial in that the Devils MUST get a Lead by then before the "rust" by the Kings begins to disappear.

Game 1 is a MUST-WIN.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:09 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Vancouver imo was maybe the worst President's trophy winning team since the lockout. I honestly don't think they were even the best team in the Western Conference. Coming into the playoffs, I thought the Preds were the best team.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
The first 10 minutes of the 1st period will be crucial in that the Devils MUST get a Lead by then before the "rust" by the Kings begins to disappear.

Game 1 is a MUST-WIN.
Exactly! "Must" win is a bit excessive. But it certainly sets a tone for the rest of the series.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The Kings have been incredible in the playoffs. I'm impressed, but I think this will be their toughest opponent in us. Vancouver was very impressive. It was impressive to see them win, Phoenix overachieved a little I think.

St Louis REALLY overachieved. Let's be serious here. I don't even think the Blues are as good as the Islanders, or Avs, and I aint even kidding. Something Hitchcock did worked out incredibly well for them. yeah they beat the Sharks in like 5 games, but the Sharks at the end of the season for a while there didn't even look like they were gonna be in the playoffs. The Blues impressed me, but they weren't as good as they looked. Brian Elliott turned into that really bad backup he was in Colorado, and Ottawa. After his awful play in that series it's evident he probably shouldn't be a starting goaltender. Though I by no means pin the series loss on him. The team just wasn't that good, and you could see someone was gonna come, and knock them down.
The blues didn't overachieve. They are really good as exhibited by their impressive depth. They substantially outplayed the Kings in game 1 but lost their composure after Pietrangelo got knocked out by King on the endboards. They basically melted like the Penguins discipline wise and style wise after the Pietrangelo injury. Then shortly after, Eliott's play quickly regressed. Before they knew it, they were down 0-2 headed back to LA.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Vancouver imo was maybe the worst President's trophy winning team since the lockout. I honestly don't think they were even the best team in the Western Conference. Coming into the playoffs, I thought the Preds were the best team.
I thought the Devils were the best team coming into the playoffs personally. They were showing up to play every game, won 6 in a row, looked really good, and a lot of people were seriously considering us a cup finalist. I don't think I was one of them, but the Devils were hot. Seeing the struggle against Florida I think we lost a little bit of momentum, and weren't taken seriously, and that's why I think people predicted blowouts, and 5 game losses to the Flyers.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Devilswede

I'm so friggin nervous! I so want them to win the Cup so badly, just because they've defied the odds and proved so many people wrong!

The first game is huge, especially with the way Kings build up confidence when winning the first game like they've done in the previous rounds. So gotta put some doubt into their minds!

GO DEVILS!

Old
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
The blues didn't overachieve. They are really good as exhibited by their impressive depth. They substantially outplayed the Kings in game 1 but lost their composure after Pietrangelo got knocked out by King on the endboards. They basically melted like the Penguins discipline wise and style wise after the Pietrangelo injury. Then shortly after, Eliott's play quickly regressed. Before they knew it they were down 0-2 headed back to LA.
I still don't think they were that good, but they did impress me. I think they will be back in the playoffs next year. I'll tell you what though. I didn't expect them to go down so easily, but after they did I wasn't surprised. Aside from game 1 when they lost they didn't really look like they even tried to win a game until game 4 when it was too late.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
I thought the Devils were the best team coming into the playoffs personally. They were showing up to play every game, won 6 in a row, looked really good, and a lot of people were seriously considering us a cup finalist. I don't think I was one of them, but the Devils were hot. Seeing the struggle against Florida I think we lost a little bit of momentum, and weren't taken seriously, and that's why I think people predicted blowouts, and 5 game losses to the Flyers.
Yea man. Since the after the Panther series, we were basically steamrolling our opponents despite losing 3 of those games. Going 8-3 against our fiercest rivals feels good man!

Old
05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Tundra

Quote:
I still don't think they were that good, but they did impress me. I think they will be back in the playoffs next year.
If you watched game 1, the Kings looked like the inferior team. Quick played superbly that game. In the second, Blues outshot the Kings 13-2 yet came away with a goosegg. And then once the Pietrangelo injury occurred, the entire team unraveled emotionally. That's one thing the devils will not succumb too.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
If you watched game 1, the Kings looked like the inferior team. Quick played superbly that game. In the second, Blues outshot the Kings 13-2 yet came away with a goosegg. And then once the Pietrangelo injury occurred, the entire team unraveled emotionally. That's one thing the devils will not succumb too.
I agree with you. They looked good in game 1, but after that they didn't look like they tried to win a game until game 4. I think they could have won that series, but I'm not surprised they didn't. I am surprised they couldn't win one or two games though.

Quote:
Yea man. Since the after the Panther series, we were basically steamrolling our opponents despite losing 3 of those games. Going 8-3 against our fiercest rivals feels good man!
Most of our losses too I think we showed up, and played decently. The team fell asleep a few periods at times even in games we won, but I think the team showed up to play every game. Could have easily won game 1 against Philly with a little bit of luck, but could have also lost game 3 vs Philly in OT if we couldn't kill those penalties.

Game 1 vs the Rangers I think the team couldn't figure out the shot blocking BS, and it seemed like they knew they would have to adjust for the next game, and would probably just take the loss in game 1 after being frustrated by the shot blocking.

Game 3 vs the Rangers Lundqvist stole it I will admit that. He didn't steal another, and I knew he couldn't steal the series on his own, and I said it despite others being convinced he could steal a whole series. I knew he could steal a game. Not the series. Every game we won he gave up 3 or more goals. Every game we lost we got shutout. More shots were blocked in game 1 than made it on net though.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Flame Demers*

Let the stress begin!!! I had an amazing last 4 days with zero stress. ripping butts and pulling my hair out starts in 6 hour.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

Old
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruits Demers View Post
ripping butts and pulling my hair out starts in 6 hour.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Devils731

Anyone know if I'd be able to bring a small bottle of cough medicine into the game? I want to be able to yell and cheer but probably can't do that without something to help my throat each period. I also don't want to have to throw away a perfectly good bottle of medicine if I can't bring it in.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
severian

Quote:
Exactly! "Must" win is a bit excessive. But it certainly sets a tone for the rest of the series.
unless of course they lose game 1, as they did against the rangers and flyers. no game is a 'must' win unless a loss puts you down 2 games in the series or eliminates you.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
The Kings are a very resilient team, they tend to respond quickly to adversity, often scoring a goal right after they get scored on. The Devils will need to work extra hard to hold leads in this series.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
unless of course they lose game 1, as they did against the rangers and flyers. no game is a 'must' win unless a loss puts you down 2 games in the series or eliminates you.
I'm not sure this is a must win, but we do need a split at home, and a split in LA is important too.

I did think game 6 vs the Rangers was MUST win even though we wouldn't have been eliminated or went down 2 games just tied.

It would have been incredibly hard to go back to MSG, and try to win a third there, and close out the series there.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
hockeyr5

Ahh I have a game of my own tonight at 8:45 so I'll miss a lot but hopefully we still get the W and I can watch a replay of it tomorrow.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

Old
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

I've never been this far as a serious fan of the team (was about 10 in '03).

Still hasn't hit me. I honestly don't know what to think yet.

Closed Thread