HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuilding Progress?

Old
05-28-2012, 02:40 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 500
Rebuilding Progress?

Just curious as to what stage in the rebuilding phase people think we are at, and how well people think we are rebuilding.

About a year ago people here were saying we were about 1, maybe 2 seasons behind LA in the rebuilding process. As they're competing in the Cup Finals-we're competing too! To get a player on the cover of NHL13!

So just curious as to what other think?

I think the rebuild so far is a failure (there are a couple gems obviously-Hamonic was a great pick). But I think there is some potential for growth-IF this team addresses the proper needs. If they do that-I think the team is still about 2 years away from the playoffs. We need a legit starting goaltender (Nabby's not a long-term solution-and even as early as this year he could start to suck. Goalies don't go out gracefully-one year/day they just decline sharply, and that's that).

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Just curious as to what stage in the rebuilding phase people think we are at, and how well people think we are rebuilding.

About a year ago people here were saying we were about 1, maybe 2 seasons behind LA in the rebuilding process. As they're competing in the Cup Finals-we're competing too! To get a player on the cover of NHL13!

So just curious as to what other think?

I think the rebuild so far is a failure (there are a couple gems obviously-Hamonic was a great pick). But I think there is some potential for growth-IF this team addresses the proper needs. If they do that-I think the team is still about 2 years away from the playoffs. We need a legit starting goaltender (Nabby's not a long-term solution-and even as early as this year he could start to suck. Goalies don't go out gracefully-one year/day they just decline sharply, and that's that).
We don't develop prospects, we don't sign free agents, we are still a long, long way off. We are likely to pick top 5 again next year, and almost a guarantee to pick top 10.

With luck, John Tavares will be this generation's version of Joe Sakic, it takes five years to get into the playoffs, but when he gets there, he stays, scores a lot of OT goals and wins some Cups (hopefully more than two).

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

We're in the studder phase.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
OlTimeHockey

see: Atlanta Thrashers

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:45 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
I went into last season,saying I expected the isle to be a bubble playoff team.

Before the season started,I had posted that I would not be surprised if they missed the playoffs,but thought they'd be in the fight for the last playoff spot.

While they weren't eliminated until the last several weeks of the season,I don't think they were that competitive.

I was unhappy with their defense and secondary scoring.I was just as disappointed with Cappy.I'm just sorry he wasn't fired, at the end of the season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Steve55

The Isles improved their point totals from 73 to 79. I would say rebuilding has taken some progress from last year. But I hope they get around 85 points at least not fall back like 2010-11 season.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I went into last season,saying I expected the isle to be a bubble playoff team.

Before the season started,I had posted that I would not be surprised if they missed the playoffs,but thought they'd be in the fight for the last playoff spot.

While they weren't eliminated until the last several weeks of the season,I don't think they were that competitive.

I was unhappy with their defense and secondary scoring.I was just as disappointed with Cappy.I'm just sorry he wasn't fired, at the end of the season.
Firing Cappy is a double edged sword.

A team looking to sign top players and compete for Lord Stanley goes after the best available coaches when they come around.

A team that stays with a mistake and rides the gaffe into the mud before being FORCED to make changes (and only gets another cheap gamble that is incompetent) just like it does with every personnel decision is AFRAID of success.

Success means work. Work sucks. Enjoy the draft party.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Neutral.

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
We are in the cheap phase. That's the part where you brought in some good young kids to build with, then lock them in a closet and starve them to death out of spite because you didn't get the arena a crooked politician promised you.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

Old
05-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Firing Cappy is a double edged sword.

A team looking to sign top players and compete for Lord Stanley goes after the best available coaches when they come around.

A team that stays with a mistake and rides the gaffe into the mud before being FORCED to make changes (and only gets another cheap gamble that is incompetent) just like it does with every personnel decision is AFRAID of success.

Success means work. Work sucks. Enjoy the draft party.
ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

same point different thread eh.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
LAIslanderFan

There's 2 names that will answer that question next year. Josh Bailey and Kyle Okposo. The last 2 months of the season, Okposo and Bailey were argueably the Islanders best players after JT. If Okposo and Bailey continue that kind of play next season, I believe the Islanders will make the playoffs. If Bailey and Okposo play like they did the first 2/3's of the year, the Isles will stay in neutral and they'll have to wait for the next tier of prospects to mature (Strome, Nelson, Nino, Kabonov...).

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:21 PM
LongIslandCircus

Far behind where we should be.

I'm sorry, but I am not one to congratulate Snow on drafting a few steals(Hamonic/Martin) and one GIFT (Tavares) after 5 straight consecutive lottery finishes. I do not follow prospects that closely, but give me a copy of nhl.com's final draft rankings and I'm sure I'd hit one or two good picks in half a decade of chances. I see comments defending Snow based on how good some of our prospects look......but here's the kicker: EVERY teams highly drafted prospects have had success at lower levels!!! Let's wait and see if we actually have NHL players before declaring Lee/ Dehaan/ Ness / Nelson as great selections.

As I've said before, Garth has made some smart moves....but has FAILED at turning the corner and bringing in help. Management is using the term "rebuild" as an excuse, not a strategy. There is no commitment to improve this team and unfortunately, a losing atmosphere is now our identity. Sickening....especially considering where this franchise once was.

Sorry for the negativity but what is happening to this team is too much to swallow at times.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:43 PM
IsleNmetFan4Life

They've succeeded in rebuilding the prospect pool. They've epic failed at rebuilding the NHL talent pool. They're putting all their faith in prospects that MIGHT be good in a few years, but haven't done anything to acquire players that ARE good now.

IsleNmetFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Islanderfan17

We need to add proven NHL talent to this team, we can't be hoping for diamonds in the rough every season which is what I'm afraid Snow has done since he struck gold with Moulson and Grabner.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Rebuild will only go as far as a new arena goes. That's the reality of the matter.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:00 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Not that my opinion matters BUT... The rebuild has been a disaster... Maybe a little below stuck in neutral... But we are in 2012 and we are really not in any better shape for a long awaited, from fans, playoff spot than when we started this in 2008... At least I enjoyed a decent playoff run from my Sixers... In contrast to Wang, the Sixers new ownership seems committed to building the Sixers into legitimacy...

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleNmetFan4Life View Post
They've succeeded in rebuilding the prospect pool. They've epic failed at rebuilding the NHL talent pool. They're putting all their faith in prospects that MIGHT be good in a few years, but haven't done anything to acquire players that ARE good now.
This.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
startainfection

07-08 - first season - expected to be dead last and rightfully so
08-09 - second seasons - tank for tavares
09-10 - expected to be a .500 team, be able to attract a few more free agents next season
10-11 - expected to make play offs before freak preseason injuries, those injuries lead to trading roloson and wiz mid-season which were long term steps backwards
11-12 - streit and okposo were relied on to heavily to be back to their pre-injury form
12-13 - isles will make play offs if the signings play to the level that their reputation would imply

the first offseason the isles were expected to make the play offs their best dman and winger both missed tons of time, streit was replaced by mottau and wiz was relied on as a defensive dman, isles rebuild became questioned by free agents,

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 4300
We have stalled. While Bailey hasn't panned out yet we add a Strome hoping he would.

L.A. brought in vets on D like Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell to help out guys like Doughty, Johnson (before he was traded), and now Voynov.

L.A. brought in help up front in Richards, Carter, Penner (hasn't panned out well but is now in playoffs) and Gagne (who has had major injury problems this year).

Snow has brought in..

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

same point different thread eh.
I think it sums up the rebuild and state of the organization, actually.

What is.....Snow did TWO things:

Got a top defenseman in UFA.
Hired Ken Hitchcock the second he was available (the Jack Adams finalist Ken Hitchcock)

Where is the rebuild then?

Now contrast this with firing Cappy and annointing not ready for prime time Weight and nabbing the next Rolston.

That was my point. We're stuck in the mud. We either get traction or spray water on the ground.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
We have stalled. While Bailey hasn't panned out yet we add a Strome hoping he would.

L.A. brought in vets on D like Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell to help out guys like Doughty, Johnson (before he was traded), and now Voynov.

L.A. brought in help up front in Richards, Carter, Penner (hasn't panned out well but is now in playoffs) and Gagne (who has had major injury problems this year).

Snow has brought in..
to be fair, I'm sure Snow thought Mottau won the Stanley Cup for his team once.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:35 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post

Snow has brought in..
Great post. The Kings built a very strong young core-and added in vets to help out (who weren't crappy 4th liners/3rd pairing/waiver wire players).

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Hip Of Rick

This team has shown very very little progress. Its been 5 years of the "re-build" and after year 5 we are still much closer to 30th place than the 8th seed. The only success in the past 5 seasons was being so bad we lucked into a franchise center.

Re-building the prospect pool is nice on paper and something we can overrate and gloat about on HF, but there is no guaranteeing that they will produce in the NHL. This board tends to overrate our prospects as we have nothing else to look forward to ( every single person is guilty of it, including me) At one time we all pumped up Tambo, Papineau, Colliton. Nilsson, O' Marra etc..

Besides lucking into JT the team is treading water in the bottom 10 of the league. Looking at the roster as of today going into next season we have zero reason to believe they will make the playoffs.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Bossy573

"Building" the way the Isles are now means we are probably half a decade more from any serious contention, if it ever happens at all.

Re-stocking the system is a component, not the end game. Snow acts like it is the point, instead of a means to an end.

Bossy573 is offline   Reply With Quote