HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Proposals/Trades/Signings: Start the New season already.

View Poll Results: Most likely big trade acquisition
Rick Nash 21 13.29%
Jordan Staal 40 25.32%
Paul Stastny 20 12.66%
None of the above - Too expensive 77 48.73%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
11'/12' Offseason Proposals/Trades/Signings: Start the New season already.

continue here.

05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
showtime8

@predaleafs

I didn't look at the specifics, so I missed that. My apologies.

Regardless, Vokoun is not the answer. Its amazing how many people want him to come in here to split time with Reimer. Although he is a capable netminder, its unlikely that he does anything for the franchise other than bridge us to next year.

Moving on from that. The defense core looks the same as last year and Burke has said that needs to change, so I'm not sure that look really works.

Like the signings of Stoll and Moen though. Give you some size and experience.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:23 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
@predaleafs

I didn't look at the specifics, so I missed that. My apologies.

Regardless, Vokoun is not the answer. Its amazing how many people want him to come in here to split time with Reimer. Although he is a capable netminder, its unlikely that he does anything for the franchise other than bridge us to next year.

Moving on from that. The defense core looks the same as last year and Burke has said that needs to change, so I'm not sure that look really works.

Like the signings of Stoll and Moen though. Give you some size and experience.
Vokoun is a very good goalie ...had JFJ had any brains he would have traded for Vokoun rather than Toskala, because the difference was a pick, and we wouldnt have needed to take a dump back with Toskala

I'd rather see Riemer traded ...have never had much faith in him, his reaction speed is way too slow.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:39 AM
BertCorbeau
Hellloooo!!!

By the sounds of it Burke wants to get a veteran tender in to help cover the workload while his young tenders develop, so if we're waiting for one to develop for 2-3 seasons with a vet (say Vokoun for example) it makes sense that he'd resign Scrivens and trade Reimer. I think Leafs management believes Scrivens will be the better goalie in the long run anyway, so if they're set on developing one young goalie for the long term might as well go with the goalie who has the higher ceiling.

Either that or get a veteran goal, resign Scrivens and let the two young tenders battle it out in training camp for the spot. And trade the one who doesn't get the job before the start of the season.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Barilko14

LR - new poll request

Most likely big trade acquisition (not the one you want the most)

1. R. Nash
2. J. Staal
3. P. Stastny
4. Cost too much for all of them

We all know if these guys become available, Burke will be calling, which guy do you think Burke lands?

Nash is 100% available, but will Burke gut the future to land him. Monstorous cap hit that would likely put is in cap hell for awhile.

Decent chance Staal's contract demands make Shero at least consider dealing him, potentially his price will be too high.

Stastny is on the list due to the fact he's been mentioned in the past and has two very high potential centres already playing in Colorado. Possibly would not take as much to land him (would still cost a lot). Has a big cap hit.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
By the sounds of it Burke wants to get a veteran tender in to help cover the workload while his young tenders develop, so if we're waiting for one to develop for 2-3 seasons with a vet (say Vokoun for example) it makes sense that he'd resign Scrivens and trade Reimer. I think Leafs management believes Scrivens will be the better goalie in the long run anyway, so if they're set on developing one young goalie for the long term might as well go with the goalie who has the higher ceiling.

Either that or get a veteran goal, resign Scrivens and let the two young tenders battle it out in training camp for the spot. And trade the one who doesn't get the job before the start of the season.
I really don't think it's fair to write Reimer off just yet Berty.

Reimer when he was healthy, beginning of the year, and the end of last year, he was tremendous. I don't care what anyone says, he won us some games, and he really was a stud in the net. Now with Carlyle's new defensive style, and hopefully a healthy James Reimer, faith can be restored in this guy. I just hope his confidence hasn't gone out the window because of the way Wilson treated him.

If his confidence can get back to where it was, along with his health.. I still think Reimer could be the answer.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
showtime8

We need to have a veteran goaltender for at least 2-3 years.

I've been watching the trends on goalies. And a majority of goaltenders don't start to hit their peaks until 26 and continue until 35. Prior to it, they don't learn from their mistakes and usually end up as the 1 and done's. The 3 Vezina candidates from this year are what age? Quick 26, Rinne 29, Lundqvist 30 ...... 2011 - Rinne 28, Luongo 31, Thomas 37...... 2010 - Miller 29, Bryzgalov 29, Brodeur (39?) .... you get my point.

You find the goalies that are stud's around 26. There are the few exceptions to every rule Price and Brodeur. But with Reimer only being 24 and the Leafs are going to rely on him to carry the team next year, its just not reasonable. And by my assumption, it won't be until he's a UFA that you really see him put up the numbers.

So is Vokoun the answer for 3 years? Maybe. But the real question is do you want him to be? I'm not debating Vokoun's ability in the slightest. Just asking you if that's what you intend?

Old
05-30-2012, 10:06 AM
K19*

#5 for Jordan Staal
Kadri for Clowe
Bozak/Gunnarsson for a 2nd-pairing defensive d'man
sign Vokoun
Schenn for Chris Stewart
Franson's rights for a 2nd

New Lineup:

Lupul/ Staal / Kessel
Clowe / Grabovski / Stewart
Kulemin / Connolly / Frattin
Komarov / Steckel / Brown
D'Amigo

Phaneuf / Schultz
Gardiner / ???
Liles / Komisarek
Holzer

Vokoun
Scrivens
Reimer

Old
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Orbital

Lupul-Staal-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo-Frattin
JvR-Steckel-C.Stewart
Crabb-Bozo/Connolly-Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner -Holzer
Liles - S.Hannan
Blacker

Gone:
Komi + Franson = C.Stewart
Schenn + Mac= JvR
Kadri + 5th = Staal
Lombardi = 3rd rounder
Armstrong= 3rd rounder

Old
05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Lupul-Staal-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo-Frattin
JvR-Steckel-C.Stewart
Crabb-Bozo/Connolly-Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner -Holzer
Liles - S.Hannan
Blacker

Gone:
Komi + Franson = C.Stewart
Schenn + Mac= JvR
Kadri + 5th = Staal
Lombardi = 3rd rounder
Armstrong= 3rd rounder
Grooming JVR and Stewart for shutdown roles?

Also that St. Louis trade is pretty funny. Not only is St. Louis set forever for RD with Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Polak (all better than Komi & Franson), this trade would make it former 1st overall pick Erik Johnson for the severly overpaid Komisarek and a bottom pairing Franson.

Last edited by Barilko14: 05-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
Grooming JVR and Stewart for shutdown roles?
Either that or creating one of the slowest lines in the league..

Old
05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
#5 for Jordan Staal
Kadri for Clowe
sign Vokoun
Schenn for Chris Stewart

New Lineup:

Lupul/ Staal / Kessel
D'Amigo

Phaneuf / Schultz
Gardiner / ???
Liles / Komisarek
Holzer

Vokoun
Scrivens
Reimer

Why trade Franson and Gunnarson and then leave a need at the spot they could fill. Just keep one.

Old
05-30-2012, 12:57 PM
gabeliscious

its so heartbreaking reading some of these proposed lineups. every summer i get my hopes up for some sort of amazing trade or ufa signing and every summer im disappointed. im trying to expect that absolute minimum this off season.

im thinking at the very minimum burke will be able to:

1. draft an exceptional prospect at #5. makes no difference to me if it galy, grigs, murray, forsberg, etc. whoever we get will be our new top prospect.

2. sign a veteran goalie who can play if needed. my preference is vokoun on a 1 year deal but there are a few vet goalies out there who are ufas that could buy some time until we see what we have with reimer/scrivens. under no circumstances do i want or think burke will go anywhere near luongo and his contract.

3. i think burke will manage to move at least one of lombardi and armstrong if not both. despite what people think and say around here i believe both still have some value and could be wanted by another team. considering they both only have 1 year left on their deals its not really a huge risk for another team.

4. sign schultz. this might be my one homer moment but i actually think we have a chance to sign him. i get the impression that burke is a super loyal gm and his players respect him for it. i dont know the story why schultz wouldnt want to play in anaheim but whatever the reason if his mind is made up to go elsewhere i think the leafs have a legitimate shot.

5. trade franson to move up in the draft. im not sure how high franson + our 2nd could move us but i would think at least 5-10 spots. if we could get another pick in the 25-30 there might be something fun to draft there. i like franson but i dont see him ever getting a crack here. i also cant see him wanting to resign here knowing the depth on our backend.
lupul bozak kessel
kulemin grabs mac
frattin connolly kadri
brown steckel komarov/crabb

phaneuf gunnarson
liles schenn
gardiner schultz
komisarek

reimer
vokoun/c mason

Old
05-30-2012, 01:01 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
LR - new poll request

Most likely big trade acquisition (not the one you want the most)

1. R. Nash
2. J. Staal
3. P. Stastny
4. Cost too much for all of them

We all know if these guys become available, Burke will be calling, which guy do you think Burke lands?

Nash is 100% available, but will Burke gut the future to land him. Monstorous cap hit that would likely put is in cap hell for awhile.

Decent chance Staal's contract demands make Shero at least consider dealing him, potentially his price will be too high.

Stastny is on the list due to the fact he's been mentioned in the past and has two very high potential centres already playing in Colorado. Possibly would not take as much to land him (would still cost a lot). Has a big cap hit.
Added the poll to the thread as requested.

05-30-2012, 01:08 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
#5 for Jordan Staal
Kadri for Clowe

sign Vokoun
Schenn for Chris Stewart

New Lineup:

Lupul/ Staal / Kessel
D'Amigo

Phaneuf / Schultz
Gardiner / ???
Liles / Komisarek
Holzer

Vokoun
Scrivens
Reimer
#5 for Jordan Staal ...#5 will be better than Staal.
Kadri for Clowe ...SJ fans were offering Clowe + for MacArthur, Kadri is HUGE overpayment
Bozak/Gunnarsson for a 2nd-pairing defensive d'man ...Gunnar IS a 2nd pairing defensive d-man
Schenn for Chris Stewart ...Stewart has regressed to the point where he will be waiver fodder by the all star break, again HUGE overpayment

sign Vokoun, okay, good idea
Franson for a 2nd, not bad either, but, can likely get an NHL ready prospect instead

Old
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Added the poll to the thread as requested.
Thanks, interested in seeing the consensus.

IMO as much as I want Staal, I think we make better trading partners with Colorado for Stastny. Colorado has 7 players under contract next year, Leafs have approx 20.

Schenn + Kulemin for Stastny is my realistic guess.

Last edited by Barilko14: 05-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
CmonLeafs

Quote:

IMO as much as I want Staal, I think we make better trading partners with Colorado for Stastny. Colorado has 7 players under contract next year, Leafs have approx 20.

Has to be more than that I would think. I could see MacArthur, Schenn, and Colborne.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs0381 View Post
Has to be more than that I would think. I could see MacArthur, Schenn, and Colborne.
Depending on what value other GMs place on Schenn and Kulemin. Schenn and Kulemin would be a more than fair offer last summer.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Vokoun is a very good goalie ...had JFJ had any brains he would have traded for Vokoun rather than Toskala, because the difference was a pick, and we wouldnt have needed to take a dump back with Toskala

I'd rather see Riemer traded ...have never had much faith in him, his reaction speed is way too slow.
Oh the ups and downs of a begin a bandwagon Leafs fan. Can't even spell Reimer's name right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post

This is why I would like to see Gustavsson resigned. Whether it be a 1-way contract with him starting/spending the year with the Marlies or a 2-way along with Scrivens and leave Reimer as the #1 and rotate Scrivens and Gustavsson. OR Plan B could be sign a veteran to help with the workload and then have Gustavsson and Scrivens with the Marlies.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
Oh the ups and downs of a begin a bandwagon Leafs fan. Can't even spell Reimer's name right.

This is why I would like to see Gustavsson resigned. Whether it be a 1-way contract with him starting/spending the year with the Marlies or a 2-way along with Scrivens and leave Reimer as the #1 and rotate Scrivens and Gustavsson. OR Plan B could be sign a veteran to help with the workload and then have Gustavsson and Scrivens with the Marlies.
Then lose both Gustavsson and Scrivens for nothing on waivers. Sound plan.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Looks like a decent offer to me. Though since the Avs have only a few players signed, they might want to see Kulemin under contract first, even though he's an RFA.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:

We can't do that. We are soft as butter, and in this deal we trade one of the most physical defenseman in the league who's only 22 years old, and one of our bigger forward?

Old
05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

if are trading for stastny i believe the price will be a lot cheaper.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Avs don't need Schenn with EJ, O'Byrne, Elliott and Barrie already on the right side.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
if are trading for stastny i believe the price will be a lot cheaper.
I don't think they trade him in the case that don't have much that can replace his offence (still iffy on O'Reilly offensive upside) and that they need his cap hit to stay above the floor.

Closed Thread