HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Proposals/Trades/Signings: Start the New season already.

View Poll Results: Most likely big trade acquisition
Rick Nash 21 13.29%
Jordan Staal 40 25.32%
Paul Stastny 20 12.66%
None of the above - Too expensive 77 48.73%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
lol never heard of that person.

05-30-2012, 08:57 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Is he an UFA?
Yep.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Yep.
if the price is good sure why not, might be a stop gap for ashton, as he learns to bring out offense down in teh AHL more consistently.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:02 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
Really hope not....
I wouldn't be surprised if they're inquiring about him. He's been thrown under the bus by Gillis lately regarding his performance and both Kesler and his agent have fired back publicly. Burke and Nonis also originally drafted Kesler and we all know how Burke likes to go after players he has a history with.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they're inquiring about him. He's been thrown under the bus by Gillis lately regarding his performance and both Kesler and his agent have fired back publicly. Burke and Nonis also originally drafted Kesler and we all know how Burke likes to go after players he has a history with.
Wonder what the price would be although I just can't see it.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
One way or another if we sign a veteran goaltender we are gonna lose one of the 3 (if we resign both Gus and Scrivens or even just Scrivens).

Gustavsson was statisically our best goalie last season. (I'm not including Ben Scrivens because he only played 11 games for the big club). I would probably venture out and say that we should resign both Gus and Scrivens and run 3 goalies until the 2 best emerge and trade the third or send any part of LACK away so we can have a cheaper alternative sitting in the pressbox.

The fear I have of signing Vokoun is that of him turning into JS Giguere. Vokoun would be coming in under the same condition JS Giguere did he came here. Injuries were starting to plague him more with the older he was getting, and his role starting to diminish with a fresher face taking over (Hillier in ANA, and Holtby in WSH)

I realize in reality we only need this veteran until Reimer and/or Scrivens are established as the clear-cut #1 and can handle those duties every night.

But anyways, this idea crossed my mind recently (right now), would Burke have the steel to make the same sort of deals he did in Vancouver to get the Sedins, in order to draft Yakupov and Galchenyuk? How would the deals work out to make that work?
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/1999.htm
I would imagine we would trade up to make sure that we get Galchenyuk before NYI. I wonder if Galchenyuk and Yakupov together would have the same effect as the Sedins do. Food for thought anyway.
Gusty isn't coming back. Burke/Nonis would never even think of talking about the goaltending situation they way they have this offseason if there was anyway Gusty was coming back, that ship has sailed. They (most teams) don't think he can be a No. 1 and there is no point of bringing him back if they don't trust him to play 40ish games.

Vokoun didn't lose his job to Holtby, he was starting to lose his net to Neuvirth, then Hunter decided to run with him. He played something like 18 of 21 games then had a groin injury. Neuvirth lost his job to Holtby in the playoffs, not Vokloun.

Vokoun just had a "bad" season last year, yet he put up better numbers then any Leaf goalie in recent memory (with min. 40 games).

48 GP 25W 2.51GAA .917SV% 4SO

Even if he repeats his "off" year for us, we are ahead of the game and have several more wins.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:19 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Thanks for the update as usual Chucks, but damn I dont want detroit getting suter and schultz..would tick me off with jealousy!

Any input regarding our side? Trade or Draft?
Nothing really to report as Burke generally takes his time in May.

He'll start to really heat things up at the combine. Lots of managment in town these days and Burke is starting to be a busy man again. He's refreshed and he's refocused on tweaking this team.

From everything I have heard, he is shopping Lombardi and "listening" to offers on Colby and Komisarek. There is still belief around the league that Komisarek could be a good defender in this league in the right pairing and right system. There may or may not be a market for Komisarek, but there certainly will be some teams interested in Armstrong if Burke plans on dumping him. Lombardi's value is a question mark around this league, as he's clearly a useful player when healthy and his pace is next to none. Im sure there may be some teams interested in him that need to reach the cap floor.

Apparently some teams have called about Franson, as his potential is still interesting to some teams which still makes him an intriguing piece. Tampa Bay apparently inquired at Deadline time, but Burkes price was too high and they accepted Aulie in a lesser deal. If they were to come to some sort of deal, its believed it will be on draft day.

As for the draft, you're guess is as good as mine! Everyones so tight lipped on this front that Burke probably only knows his draft order!

I dont believe Connolly is going anywhere as they feel he's good enough defensively to play up and down the line up if need be, and he's offensively skilled enough to be able to produce. They also feel he's versatile enough to play wing. He's a good piece (despite the price) to slide up and down the line up and mentor the younger guys.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

He'll start to really heat things up at the combine. Lots of managment in town these days and Burke is starting to be a busy man again. He's refreshed and he's refocused on tweaking this team.

From everything I have heard, he is shopping Lombardi and "listening" to offers on Colby and Komisarek. There is still belief around the league that Komisarek could be a good defender in this league in the right pairing and right system. There may or may not be a market for Komisarek, but there certainly will be some teams interested in Armstrong if Burke plans on dumping him.

Apparently some teams have called about Franson, as his potential is still interesting to some teams which still makes him an intriguing piece. Tampa Bay apparently inquired at Deadline time, but Burkes price was too high and they accepted Aulie in a lesser deal. If they were to come to some sort of deal, its believed it will be on draft day.

As for the draft, you're guess is as good as mine! Everyones so tight lipped on this front that Burke probably only knows his draft order!

I dont believe Connolly is going anywhere as they feel he's good enough defensively to play up and down the line up if need be, and he's offensively skilled enough to be able to produce. They also feel he's versatile enough to play wing. He's a good piece (despite the price) to slide up and down the line up and mentor the younger guys.
Excellent! Thanks again for the input. I have been guessing that Lambo and Franson would be gone and I think it will be the case for holzer to come up in the bigs. I was hoping Mac would be also be in that equation, guess not.

I still want to give Armstrong a chance, he was really a bright spot in our PK with Bozak, also working on the boards and cycle.
Seems like all three, Connolly, Komisarek and Armstrong is more for buying our prospect more time for development I guess.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

OMGZ guyz, Burke and Gillis shown talking at GM meetings tonight on SNet..... Luongo to TO for Komisarek e5!

Old
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
its so heartbreaking reading some of these proposed lineups. every summer i get my hopes up for some sort of amazing trade or ufa signing and every summer im disappointed. im trying to expect that absolute minimum this off season.

im thinking at the very minimum burke will be able to:

1. draft an exceptional prospect at #5. makes no difference to me if it galy, grigs, murray, forsberg, etc. whoever we get will be our new top prospect.

2. sign a veteran goalie who can play if needed. my preference is vokoun on a 1 year deal but there are a few vet goalies out there who are ufas that could buy some time until we see what we have with reimer/scrivens. under no circumstances do i want or think burke will go anywhere near luongo and his contract.

3. i think burke will manage to move at least one of lombardi and armstrong if not both. despite what people think and say around here i believe both still have some value and could be wanted by another team. considering they both only have 1 year left on their deals its not really a huge risk for another team.

4. sign schultz. this might be my one homer moment but i actually think we have a chance to sign him. i get the impression that burke is a super loyal gm and his players respect him for it. i dont know the story why schultz wouldnt want to play in anaheim but whatever the reason if his mind is made up to go elsewhere i think the leafs have a legitimate shot.

5. trade franson to move up in the draft. im not sure how high franson + our 2nd could move us but i would think at least 5-10 spots. if we could get another pick in the 25-30 there might be something fun to draft there. i like franson but i dont see him ever getting a crack here. i also cant see him wanting to resign here knowing the depth on our backend.
lupul bozak kessel
kulemin grabs mac
frattin connolly kadri
brown steckel komarov/crabb

phaneuf gunnarson
liles schenn
gardiner schultz
komisarek

reimer
vokoun/c mason
Burke has been one if not the most active GMs in the league since he came to Toronto.

Kessel and Phaneuf were blockbuster deals. Burke can't be involed in every big name player that becomes available.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

From everything I have heard, he is shopping Lombardi and "listening" to offers on Colby and Komisarek. There is still belief around the league that Komisarek could be a good defender in this league in the right pairing and right system. There may or may not be a market for Komisarek, but there certainly will be some teams interested in Armstrong if Burke plans on dumping him. Lombardi's value is a question mark around this league, as he's clearly a useful player when healthy and his pace is next to none. Im sure there may be some teams interested in him that need to reach the cap floor.

Franson to Tampa for a pick makes a lot of sense.

In the first 2 round Tampa has the 10th, 19th, 37th, 40th and 50th overall picks.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Leaf Fan Since 93*

How about this deal

Franson to Tampa in exchange for their 10th overall pick, then trade the Komiserak (if he agrees to waive his NTC), the 5th, and 10th overall pick to Edmonton for their 1st.

It's win-win for all sides: We unload two defencemen which frees up room on the blueline plus we get the 1st overall pick. Tampa gets a potential top 4 blueliner in Franson which should bolster a shaky blueline and Edmonton gets a bottom pairing guy and they get two 1st round picks even though it means trading down in the draft.

Thoughts?

Old
05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Fan Since 93 View Post
How about this deal

Franson to Tampa in exchange for their 10th overall pick, then trade the Komiserak (if he agrees to waive his NTC), the 5th, and 10th overall pick to Edmonton for their 1st.

It's win-win for all sides: We unload two defencemen which frees up room on the blueline plus we get the 1st overall pick. Tampa gets a potential top 4 blueliner in Franson which should bolster a shaky blueline and Edmonton gets a bottom pairing guy and they get two 1st round picks even though it means trading down in the draft.

Thoughts?
I would say youre lucky even getting the 19th overall for Franson. Apparently they already declined moving that pick for Cody.

Things change tho.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
How about this deal

Thoughts?
Why the heck would Tampa do that? Franson's value isn't even close to that.

Edmonton wouldn't do that either. A team trading the 1st overall pick should never have to take a cap dump back.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

If Ashton for Aulie was a step below in terms of price for Franson, I think Burke will probably want the #19 pick from Tampa at the draft.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

My off-season barring any blockbuster that fall into Burkes lap would be:

1. Draft BPA at # 5 (hopefully a center)
2. Sign Vokoun
3. Sign Schultz
4. Ink Crabb to a 1 year deal / 2 years max as he's a useful 4th liner

If possible with the cap I'd head to camp with Lombardi, Komi, Armstrong, Franson, Connolly.

Since the cap came into place every year there is a shortage of sellers. Expiring contracts tweeners/3rd liners (Gaustad, Moore, Kostitsyn) and bottom pairing dmen (Kubina, Grossman) have all returned very nice returns as a result of the limited number of sellers.

If Burke had a useful 3rd liner like Lombardi or Armstrong available once the season started because Frattin or Kadri were both ready for full-time NHL roles OR a bottom pairing dman in Komisarek or Franson to sell 5 or 10 games into the season because Holzer shows this year wasn't a career peak for him Burke really could get a better return than what he could get this off-season. When other teams runs into injury problems Burke really could drive the market.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Leaf Fan Since 93*

#5 for Jordan Staal- That would only buy you a minute of Pittbsburgh's time before they hang up laughing. Staal is a solid NHL player who if he weren't on the Pens would make a solid #2, and you also have to consider Crosby's injury problems, do you really think Staal would just be traded without any insurance? The 5th overall would interest them but you would have to throw in more to sweeten the deal, something like Kulemin/5th

Kadri for Clowe- Kadri is a fringe player, he is having a hard enough time making a bottom feeding leaf team what makes you think he'll be any good in San Jose? Clowe again is a solid tier two powerfoward, it's going to cost a bit more then Kadri to land him

Bozak/Gunnarsson for a 2nd-pairing defensive d'man- Bozak I'm fine with dealing but trading Gunnarsson makes no sense. Gunnar is a top pairing defencmen on this team yet you want to trade him for a downgrade, why? Gunnarsson may not be physical or an offensive stud but he's calm under pressure, has a high hockey iq, and is rarely beaten in his own end

sign Vokoun- Agreed

Schenn for Chris Stewart- Stewart has fallen off the map, not sure what happened to that guy, he went from being a breakout player two years ago to one who is on the market again. He's a reclamation project, but I'm not sure I'd trade Schenn for him but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Franson's rights for a 2nd- Sure why not

Old
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Leaf Fan Since 93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Why the heck would Tampa do that? Franson's value isn't even close to that.
- Because Tampa is horrid on the backend and they badly need NHL ready blueliners, Franson is only 24 and had a successful run in Nashville, but he never fit in here though I think because there were too many cooks already in the kitchen. On Tampa Franson would easily get top 4 minutes, and would log time on the powerplay where he could use his heavy shot.

Edmonton wouldn't do that either. A team trading the 1st overall pick should never have to take a cap dump back.
- Sorry I meant to say we'd have to take a cap dump back in Horcoff. Basically Komiserak/5th/10th for Horcoff/1st.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
How about this deal

Thoughts?
I very highly doubt Tampa would even trade their 19th pick (Detroit pick) for Franson.

Otherwise they could have just kept Quincey whom they acquired for Downie before trading on to Detroit

Quincey has the most comparable value to someone like Gunnarson as an okay # 3 or good # 4 who can be trusted to play in all situations.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:03 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Would be great to see us sign Prust July 1st. Would be a great addition to our 3rd or 4th line. Carlyle type of heart and soul player. Word is Rangers are probably going to let him test the market.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Great if we can get him. He's a guy who is good for the plug ins, although he can make some dumb plays.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
lol never heard of that person.
He is reliable.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
He is reliable.
seriously?

Old
05-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
seriously?
Farhan is a long time writer for the Edmonton Journal, and he does not BS rumors. If he says he has trust in someone, I am inclined to believe the source has some credibility.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Farhan is a long time writer for the Edmonton Journal, and he does not BS rumors. If he says he has trust in someone, I am inclined to believe the source has some credibility.
Well let's see what happens then. I just can't see them straight up trade for him though, I am more curious, if this rumour has legs, what are the surrounding pieces.

Closed Thread