HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Proposals/Trades/Signings: Start the New season already.

View Poll Results: Most likely big trade acquisition
Rick Nash 21 13.29%
Jordan Staal 40 25.32%
Paul Stastny 20 12.66%
None of the above - Too expensive 77 48.73%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Fan Since 93 View Post
Here is the roster as I see it, and then the parts that we have to fill the holes:

Lupul - ______ - Kessel (The top centre position will have to be addressed through the draft, Burke had better use the #5 to draft a top line centre)
_____ - Grabovski - ______ (IMO Kulemin was fine on the 2nd line, still is if he can just get his ish together, Kadri could potentially fill in the 2nd line wing position if all goes well, if not Frattin would make a decent 2nd liner as well)
MacArthur - Bozak - Kulemin ( Mac on the 3rd line is just all kinds of wrong, he doesn't have the physical game or defensive forte to play that type of role, Bozak is fine, Kulemin is decent on that line but only if Frattin can somehow take his place on the 2nd line or Burke can find a 2nd line winger)
Brown - Steckel - Frattin (Why is Frattin on the 4th line? His game is not meant for that role, he is far too skilled to be used 5-7 mins a game, he has a heavy shot, decent skater, and a big hitter, he can be an a decent 2nd liner) I'd replace Frattin on the 4th line with a guy like Rosehill or Parros, much better suited on the 4th line

_____ - Phaneuf (Gunnarsson is just fine playing next to Phaneuf, don't know why he can't do it again)
Gardiner - _____ (Why is this blank? Schenn is a solid #4 and his game compliments Gardiner to a "T")
Liles - Gunnarsson (I'm fine with Liles as the bottome pairing guy, but lets find another bottom pairing guy for him to play with)

(This is where Luongo comes in)_____
Reimer

(Scrivens)
This isn't how I think our roster should look, it's just where I see guys fitting in on a good team.

MacArthur, for examle, is not ideally a 2nd line player. He's more of a 3rd line guy who can play 2nd line if needed. Kulemin is similar.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Goaltending is the reason for this. Compare games when Reimer/Gustavsson have a hot night to games where they let in two soft early goals. It's night and day.

We haven't had a good goaltender since Belfour. Bring in a legit #1 like Luongo and I guarantee you we're in the playoffs. We can work from there.
A goaltender will make us a play-off team, but not a contending team. We are a long ways away from contending.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:46 PM
CmonLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
A few tweaks MIGHT be good enough to get us into the play-offs. If your job was on the line, would you be happy with that?

Parros, Moen, and Pahlsson are no better than what we have.

Here is the roster as I see it, and then the parts that we have to fill the holes:

Lupul - ______ - Kessel
_____ - Grabovski - ______
MacArthur - Bozak - Kulemin
Brown - Steckel - Frattin

(Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Kadri, etc)

_____ - Phaneuf
Gardiner - _____
Liles - Gunnarsson

(Schenn, Franson, Komisarek, etc)

_____
Reimer

(Scrivens)

If we fill any of those _____s with what we have in the system, they'll be playing over their heads. To become a legit contender, we need 3 top-6 forwards, 2 top-4 defensemen, and a starting goalie.

If we just want to make the play-offs, we'd only need to fill a few of those holes, but they are still pretty significant holes to fill.
A little harsh of the squad there. More like :

Lupul - ______ - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Kadri- Bozak - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Crabb

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - _____
Liles - Schenn

_____
Reimer

3 holes to me. All 3 CAN be filled. If the back 2 are filled though, I'd be plenty happy. Bozak has chemistry on the 1st line and Connolly can play 3rd.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
I'm sure people will think I'm crazy for this but I'd love to see the Leafs try to sign Guillaume Latendresse this summer, assuming Minnesota doesn't qualify him. I think he would be worth the risk if we could get him signed to cheap 1 year deal.

If he could somehow stay healthy next season he could prove to be a bigger steal than MacArthur was when we first signed him. We badly need more size and scoring depth up front and Latendresse, if healthy, could give us that in spades. It would be a low risk, big potential reward signing.
Stay healthy is the issue. He is a banger who was concussed most of last season. I would not commit much more than league minumum to him and hope he manages to be one of the players that gets through it. I like him a lot when he is on his game. 32 goals and about 200 hits in his 82 games with the Wild. Really hard to play against.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:34 PM
WhatASaveDave

Joffferey Lupul - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Clarke MacArthur - Mikhail Grabovski - Nikolai Kulemin
Dustin Penner - David Steckel - Matt Frattin
Mike Brown - Tim Conolly - George Parros

Carl Gunnarson - Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner - Luke Schenn
John Micheal Liles - Mike Komisarek

Roberto Luongo
James Reimer

Old
06-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
A goaltender will make us a play-off team, but not a contending team. We are a long ways away from contending.
I don't think anybody expects us to contend next year. But your standards for "contending" are still ridiculously high. A team doesn't need to be perfect to contend.

Again, the most important thing we're missing is a goalie. Let's see how the team plays with a legit #1 goalie and new defensive system. From there we can worry about whether we have a 1A and 1B defenseman or whatever.

EDIT: Compare Zubrus' stats to Kulemin's (both 2nd line RW's). Both are two-way forwards with up-and-down years (Kulemin had 28 points in 70 games this year, while Zubrus had 30 in 79 last year). They effectively fill the same role.

Also go ahead and compare Macarthur and Sykora. Macarthur actually hits too.

Last edited by Badger Mayhew: 06-10-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I don't think anybody expects us to contend next year. But your standards for "contending" are still ridiculously high. A team doesn't need to be perfect to contend.
By legit contender, I mean a contending team that doesn't need luck to win the cup. New Jersey, as they are currently constructed, are not a legit contender in my opinion. Los Angeles is kind of tough to read - they sure have looked like a legit contender all play-offs.

Quote:
Again, the most important thing we're missing is a goalie. Let's see how the team plays with a legit #1 goalie and new defensive system. From there we can worry about whether we have a 1A and 1B defenseman or whatever.
Agreed that a goalie is most important, but that doesn't mean that's the only need.

Quote:
EDIT: Compare Zubrus' stats to Kulemin's (both 2nd line RW's). Both are two-way forwards with up-and-down years (Kulemin had 28 points in 70 games this year, while Zubrus had 30 in 79 last year). They effectively fill the same role.

Also go ahead and compare Macarthur and Sykora. Macarthur actually hits too.
That Zubrus comparison is fair. I see him as a similar kind of tweener than Kulemin is. He's not an idea 2nd liner, but can fill in if needed.

Zubrus is either New Jersey's 6th or 7th best forward, depending on how you value David Clarkson, which is where I have Kulemin and MacArthur plugged in on our contending Leaf team roster. Sykora is 8th or 9th, depending on Alex Ponikarovsky, and was even a healthy scrath during the semis and finals.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:23 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post

Roberto Luongo
James Reimer
Decent group of forwards.

Defense looks bad tho

Old
06-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:

Roberto Luongo
James Reimer
That's likely a 7th or 8th place team, but definately not a contender.

Personally, I think both Lupul and Kessel played over their heads last year, so I see them coming back down to earth a little bit. Without a real center, Lupul is a 25/50 guy and Kessel is a 30/60 guy. That's probably why other people think I'm being harsh ont he team. They see those players an 80 and 100 points players, but I don't see that without a legit center. That center would have to be somebody like Jordan Staal, aul Stastny, or my pipe dream Jamie Benn. Brandon Dubinsky, if we can get him, is a guy I would throw in the middle there - he brings the defense, toughness, and grit that they both lack, and he's probably a 60 point player on that line. He's also a guy who moves around the line-up as we make changes (if we draft a center and he's ready for 2013, Dubinsky can move to LW or anywhere on the 2nd line).

Old
06-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:

Roberto Luongo
James Reimer
I don't see the point in overpaying a UFA like Penner and blocking any chance for Kadri to make the team in the process.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:41 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Voted none of the above. But that does not believe I think any deal Burke makes won't have a hefty pricetag. Just not convinced any of the players in the poll are a good fit.

Staal maybe. But, rumour has him going to Carolina with his brother.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's likely a 7th or 8th place team, but definately not a contender.

Personally, I think both Lupul and Kessel played over their heads last year, so I see them coming back down to earth a little bit. Without a real center, Lupul is a 25/50 guy and Kessel is a 30/60 guy. That's probably why other people think I'm being harsh on the team.

They see those players an 80 and 100 points players, but I don't see that without a legit center.
With Carlyle alone playing a more conservative attack game and more focus on defense its going to play a part in Lupul and Kessel's numbers next year.

If the two forwards take a 20 point drop each it will have a large impact on the offense.. A top line play making center has the skills to perhaps maintain their career high figures of last season.

06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

Roberto Luongo
James Reimer

Can we really do another year of Bozak being the #1 center?

IMO definitely not.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I don't see the point in overpaying a UFA like Penner and blocking any chance for Kadri to make the team in the process.
Don't see Kadri being put on the 3rd line with Burke wanting a bigger bottom 6. Only way he makes the opening lineup is if he outplays 1 of Kulemin or Mac in training camp which imo isn't unrealistic.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Thread has reached its 1000 post limit and is therefore closed.

A new thread on the topic can be created by someone and it will be stickied at that point.

Closed Thread