HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carry-over penalties in the playoffs?

Old
06-04-2012, 09:43 AM
doublejack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Game is over when the game is over.
Bad idea.
This.

The idea is stupid on so many levels I can't believe it has any supporters at all. A game is a self contained unit, there should be no direct spill over to the next game.

What's next? Win a game by 3 or more and start the next one with a one goal lead???

-edit
If all they want are some consequences for end of game penalties, then covert them to fines and or suspensions. Doing something like carrying over penalties is the worst proposed rule change I've ever heard.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
A game is a self contained unit, there should be no direct spill over to the next game.
And as soon as you figure out how to make a concussion or a blown out knee not have spillover to the next game, then looking at a players actiolns as being contained only to a game makes sense.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutjeff View Post
And as soon as you figure out how to make a concussion or a blown out knee not have spillover to the next game, then looking at a players actiolns as being contained only to a game makes sense.
Hahah.
If a guy delivers a dirty hit that results in a concussion then suspend him.

WHy don't you list for me all the concussions that have been dealt out in the final five minutes of a game, where penalties would carry over?

To be honest, this still sounds like grousing from people still wounded by the Weber hit on Zetterberg.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:13 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Hahah.

WHy don't you list for me all the concussions that have been dealt out in the final five minutes of a game, where penalties would carry over?

To be honest, this still sounds like grousing from people still wounded by the Weber hit on Zetterberg.
I agree, the suspension is the right way to go but the league is gutless and does not do their job correctly.

But the other reason that I like the idea, only misconduct and not shorthanded, is because I hate those pathetic teams that at the end of the game decide to "send a message" because they have just got their butts handed to them. The league will never suspend 4 or 5 players for gooning it up, but keeping them off the ice for the first 10 minutes of the game is within the realm of possibility.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:22 PM
doublejack

Quote:
If that's what you're looking to balance, then you equalize things by suspending the player guilty of doing whatever dirty thing he did to injure the other one.

This is an asinine suggestion that doesn't even address the core problem - dirty hits.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Hahah.

This is what they hammered Wiz for in season when he ran Clutterbuck. The league is overreacting here, plus what would a Brian Burke team do if they actually made the playoffs and were trailing in a game if these were the rules?

I think this derives from a good intentioned place, but cannot imagine how this would ever be applied where die-hard hockey fans would accept it and novice/casual hockey fans would understand it. If it strikes out with fans across the board it is a bad idea.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I agree, the suspension is the right way to go but the league is gutless and does not do their job correctly.

But the other reason that I like the idea, only misconduct and not shorthanded, is because I hate those pathetic teams that at the end of the game decide to "send a message" because they have just got their butts handed to them. The league will never suspend 4 or 5 players for gooning it up, but keeping them off the ice for the first 10 minutes of the game is within the realm of possibility.
However, just as the league has hesitated in handing out suspensions for end-of-game shenanigans, I think refs would VERY rarely give a guy a misconduct at the end of the game knowing that it will sit him well into the next game.

If a suspendable hit or action takes place at the end of a game, the league/Shanny has to step up and hand out the suspension- IMO, that's what needs improvement and could curb the dirty stuff.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

So what if you hate it.
I like it.
It whets the appetite for the next game. And if you have a team with some push-back, things get interesting.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
So what if you hate it.
I like it.
It whets the appetite for the next game. And if you have a team with some push-back, things get interesting.
I'll bet a lot of NHL fans are with CB on this, but since the Wings don't typically pull this stuff, I'd also bet that most Wings fans aren't on board with the "sending a message" stuff. If your team is sending the message with stuff after the whistle, you probably approve.

The league and hockey in general really created this issue for themselves anyway, by allowing guys to be physical after the whistle- don't really see that in any other sport that I can think of. Basketball players get T'd up right away, baseball players get ejected and suspended, and even football players who play a violent sport don't do or get away with post-whistle stuff. Not saying I don't appreciate a little pushing and shoving after a whistle, especially to protect your goalie, but hockey's culture allows post-whistle antics and now the league is trying to figure out how to dial it down some. Good luck with that.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
questhockey

I never thought I would say this. When I was younger and played hockey I was part of many, many scrums before, during, after the games..Hell lots of times in the parking lots just before getting on the bus with the other teams, and sometimes fans. Now that I'm older, and see soo much time wasted after each whistle, I realize how bad this type of antics are for the game of hockey, and for the true fans (not just bandwagon playoff watchers). Plus all the threads, debates we have to endure.

I like hard fought battles around the net, don't even mind the goalie being bumped and rammed sometimes, especially when they leave the blue paint ( I say they're fair game), but to me once the whistle goes, the players should be forced to stop, and get a change or whatever and get to the faceoff circle.

I DON"T like the proposition of carry over penalties however. there should be a better way to stop this crap.
I would like to see the game sped up, and after whistle scrum elimiated, like in Football where you see very little scrums as players know it is against the rules, and they will be penalized.

IMO I'd like to see a $10,000 fine for any persons involved in a scrum after the whistle, which also includes period ends, and end of game obviously.
Do that 2 times a game for $20,000 in fines... Most players sure wouldn't do that more than few times a year or they'd be playing for free.
2 scrums $20,000 x 20 games if take 1/4 games hell that's $400,000. That would stop the insanity so to speak. I am done my rant

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 02:26 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Sorry you think NHL hockey is a waste of time. I don't see anything wrong with after-the-whistle scrums.

What the hell is happening to hockey fans? Everytime you turn around, someone has a proposal to make the game wimpier.

Old
06-05-2012, 04:33 AM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Sorry you think NHL hockey is a waste of time. I don't see anything wrong with after-the-whistle scrums.

What the hell is happening to hockey fans? Everytime you turn around, someone has a proposal to make the game wimpier.
Wastes of time are automatically justified when it's a ***** swinging contest.

Helmets at a time were considered wimpy. Goalie masks, bigger and safer equipment, etc. There's a reason we don't just play hockey with a rock and no pads.

Look at the NFL. They don't have casual scrums every 2 minutes like hockey does. They don't fight, and we can't say they play a wimpy game. They just don't waste time with that kind of pointless crap.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:30 AM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
So what if you hate it.
I like it.
So watch MMA if you don't like actual hockey. Some of us don't need the extra BS to get excited about playoff hockey.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 50
Bad idea... why do we have to go screwing around with our game so much? It is rare that a key player sends a message anyway, so you are just going to be putting 4th liners in the box. If they do something over the line then just suspend them.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:56 AM
aar000n

The problem is 3 seconds left and all you have to do is slash someone in the face or do anything that would not provoke a penalty shot. Like webber grabbing z's head. While physical hockey should not come down to who can cheat the most.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
If they do something over the line then just suspend them.
Yep, because Shannahan's suspensions are always so fair and just.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
questhockey

Quote:

How about I explain it like this. I would rather 2 guys beat the living sh it out of each other and be stretchered off the ice than see a boring WIMPY scrum ever 2 minutes that doesn't result in anything other than waste of time. Is that WIMPY enough for you. Jesus, you seem to think making the game run smoother, means wimpier, or ladylike. Give your head a shake, and remember, that hockey is about hard checking, skills, scoring, fighting..not bit ch slap scrums.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
The problem is 3 seconds left and all you have to do is slash someone in the face or do anything that would not provoke a penalty shot. Like webber grabbing z's head. While physical hockey should not come down to who can cheat the most.
If it gets a team a title in a market that benefits the league, they won't care (07 Ducks come to mind. Goon BS left and right).

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
So watch MMA if you don't like actual hockey. Some of us don't need the extra BS to get excited about playoff hockey.
Take a hike.

THis is the sport as it is now. I don't see why the sport that's been popular for 75+years should have to change in 2012 because a bunch of emo kids don't like violence.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:26 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
How about I explain it like this. I would rather 2 guys beat the living sh it out of each other and be stretchered off the ice than see a boring WIMPY scrum ever 2 minutes that doesn't result in anything other than waste of time. Is that WIMPY enough for you. Jesus, you seem to think making the game run smoother, means wimpier, or ladylike. Give your head a shake, and remember, that hockey is about hard checking, skills, scoring, fighting..not bit ch slap scrums.
Scrums are part of the flow of the game. They lead to something or are a result of something.
I've got no issue with it. I've never watched a competive, hard-fought hockey game and thought, well, that was 7 minutes to long. I wish they'd cut down on the facewashes and after-the-whistle gatherings.

Those are often more exciting than the neutral zone play or boring powerplays.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:14 PM
wingnutjeff

Quote:
Take a hike.

THis is the sport as it is now. I don't see why the sport that's been popular for 75+years should have to change in 2012 because a bunch of emo kids don't like violence.
Thanks for calling me a kid, it's been at least 35 years since I heard that. And as for not liking violence, I just think it has it's place like in the Boxing ring or the bar.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:21 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Thanks for calling me a kid, it's been at least 35 years since I heard that. And as for not liking violence, I just think it has it's place like in the Boxing ring or the bar.
Don't worry - despite what Bob thinks, I'm not sure anyone's calling you an emo kid compared to some on the board.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote