HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Diablo 3 - Stay Awhile And Listen

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

vCash: 500
Does anyone know what's going on with PVP? The game was released 7 months ago, what is taking them so long? I'll start playing again when this comes out.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with PVP? The game was released 7 months ago, what is taking them so long? I'll start playing again when this comes out.
I read a while back that Jay Wilson (director of D3) stated that if this year ends without PVP being released, he'd consider D3's launch to be a failure.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
I read a while back that Jay Wilson (director of D3) stated that if this year ends without PVP being released, he'd consider D3's launch to be a failure.
You gotta feel for them though, it's not like they had 10 years to develop the game... Oh wait .

Old
12-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I've never been so excited for a game and been so disappointed. I guess we should have expected this though, since it's an entirely different team that took over the series. I waited years for this game to come out, and I never even bought it. I played the beta and that was enough for me to know that it wasn't going to be the old Diablo games I used to love. All of my friends that did purchase it no longer play it anymore.

I don't really feel the same about Blizzard anymore, I think Activision is the main cause of that..

Old
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Leafs at Knight
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
You gotta feel for them though, it's not like they had 10 years to develop the game... Oh wait .
Ba dum che .

Hopefully the next Blizzard MMO will be good, will pbly play it . Kind of OT I know.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:46 PM
TehDoak
He sure has a

vCash: 903
Patch 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 has me enjoying D3 again. The hellfire rings/paragon levels really breathed some new life into the game for me. The skill system is much berated but most (even outlandish) combos are pretty viable. Being able to tweak to how you want to play is something WoW never had. There was the BEST theorycrafted comps, that was it. Top the meters or hold the threat, that's all people cared about.

You know what else is great about D3? I don't have to play 40 hours a week to 'progress'. I can play when I want, for how long I want, and there isn't some BS progression to get the best gear. The random champion mobs make for varied (and occasionally frustrating) gameplay and even if it tedious at times, a bit of a tweak to the monster power and the game is challenging again.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Joseppi

My first really nice drop in hardcore. Not too bad at all

Old
12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I've started playing again on and off. I was able to outfit my Barb with fairly okay gear using the 1.5M gold I had from the last time I stopped playing. Still have only seen one legendary ever and that was a mediocre Hellrack.

Old
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Crabapple

vCash: 398
I too started playing again and im enjoying it. Was able to sell a few legendaries that I found and got decent gear on my Barb and Wizard. Having fun so far

Old
12-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Buddio
CFC

I'm glad more people are getting back into it, Blizz did a good job in recent patches.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 2167
What is the endgame like in Diablo 3? Is it pretty much finding new gear so you can sell it and buy new gear so you can go and find more gear? I've played games like that and they didn't really do it for me.

Also, what is PvP like? Is it like Diablo 2 or something different?

Old
12-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
What is the endgame like in Diablo 3? Is it pretty much finding new gear so you can sell it and buy new gear so you can go and find more gear? I've played games like that and they didn't really do it for me.

Also, what is PvP like? Is it like Diablo 2 or something different?

Its pretty much a "get better gear to increase the difficulty to get better gear" thing. There's a neat little side thing to do involving keys and a machine that make you fight the game's bosses, but its mostly just playing through the narrative over and over.

No PVP yet.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Joseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
I'm glad more people are getting back into it, Blizz did a good job in recent patches.
Indeed. The paragon levels, monster powers, and ubers really did make the game much better. Not to mention the legendary buffs and increased drop rate. Speaking of which, my 2nd nice drop in HC

Ended up selling for 40 million (~160 million softcore gold)

Got me enough to buy a decent zuni 2 piece
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/J.../hero/29003941

Old
12-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 664
Once they get PVP in, I'll play it again.

I can't play the same missions over and over again.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Old
12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Harbinger
sic parvis magna

Alright, I got this for Christmas. What the hell did I get myself into?

Old
12-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
Alright, I got this for Christmas. What the hell did I get myself into?
A game that's story gets a bit repetitive since you have to beat it quite a few times but you'll probably not care and get distracted by the shiny loot at some point

Old
12-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Joseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
A game that's story gets a bit repetitive since you have to beat it quite a few times but you'll probably not care and get distracted by the shiny loot at some point
There's a story?

Old
12-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Harbinger
sic parvis magna

I started playing as a chick with a cross bow.

I don't think I've ever played a game like this before and it'll take some getting used to. I have a question though: Can I be evil and be a dick to people?

Old
12-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
I started playing as a chick with a cross bow.

I don't think I've ever played a game like this before and it'll take some getting used to. I have a question though: Can I be evil and be a dick to people?
Yes, because there's no branching dialogue choices, all outcomes are the same.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:17 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8163...te_-12_27_2012

They are going to let players duel in patch 1.0.7(which should be out shortly after the new year), but Team Death Match is just about scrapped. They don't feel like it's fun after a couple of hours of playing it. Meh, I don't really care either way. I played for a little bit this past month and I got bored of it pretty quick. This game hasn't been able to hold my interest like I thought it would.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Harbinger
sic parvis magna

I hate the fat thing that explodes when it dies and drops worms outta it. :S

Old
12-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Supposed to run away from those before they die, or kill them at range

Old
01-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Joseppi

dat glow

Ended up being some regen nat's boots with a 190+ dex roll.

Anyone else still play this game?

It's been 2 months since I started playing hardcore, and in that time every one of my friends has now rolled a hardcore character. 2 of them have died during key runs, one earlier today. Our main group is now into MP5 ubrs now with no issues, and I've personally moved into the top 500 HC characters in the americas (#63 WD).

I can't recommend hardcore enough to you guys. Let me give you a breakdown of some of the main differences.

There are many less gold farmers and bots since it's generally not worth the risk, and no RMAH at all, which leads to less inflation in the economy. Gold is much more valuable (around 4x more than softcore) and items are priced much lower than their softcore analogues. Even the absolute best pieces never sell above 500 million, and you can get absolute steals. One of my buddies just got the #7 hardcore Manticore for 75 million. Also, because of the gear sink in deaths and people saving old gear, there is a much smaller marketplace to compete with for sales. Oh, and gems and tomes are actually worth something. Flawless square amethysts are 14-16k a piece. Tomes at 2400 a piece.

As far as the combat itself, once you build up a comfort with the engagements and your character, it becomes extremely enjoyable. There's actual risk involved, which makes the reward that much sweeter. Not only that, but I dare you to have a close call and not have your heart pounding. There's an inherent exhilaration involved with hardcore, and it's well worth checking out for yourself. Oh, and every legendary drop is exciting, because chances are there aren't too many others like it on the auction house at any given time.

cons: Death sucks. Period. Specific, high end items may not be available at any given time, and prices can fluctuate wildly. For example, there are no Oculus Rings currently up with crit chance or IAS.

tl;dr: easier to make money, many less bots/farmers, legendaries more epic, battles are more fun, cheaper high end items, death sucks

If you guys are interested in hardcore, I've compiled some advice from experiences along the way (my own and others). Hopefully someone will put it to use

Tips for new hardcore players starting up

• Survivability is your friend
Vitality, all resist, armor, life%, life steal, life on hit - any sort of survivability is your best friend. That includes skills and passives. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll still want damage, but it's not priority #1 getting started
  • Save the good pieces of gear you find as you level
Generally save the best pieces that you find and keep them on a mule character or in your stash. You never know when the unthinkable will happen, and you'll want to have some good pieces at the ready to help you along again.
  • Be aware
This should go without saying, but be aware of what you're fighting and everything around you. This should be a crucial part of your gameplan.
  • Best played with friends
There's nothing quite like saving your buddy's neck or receiving a helping hand in a tough spot. Group buffs and enemy debuffs can make or break a fight, especially as the difficulty ramps up. This should be a necessity for those with less than stable internet connections who want to play hardcore.

Tips for new 60 hardcore players
  • Save your old gear
Same reason as above. Sometimes the perfect ****storm brews and you're left biting the dust. Rather than starting back off with a level 1 character and gear all the way back up again, wouldn't it be nice to have a good set of gear waiting for you at 60? It may not give you monetary returns on your previous investments, but you'll be thankful if the day comes when it proves useful.
  • Level a backup
Again, same reason as above. Sure, if your character dies you lose all your paragon levels and your current gear. At least this way you won't be face to face with another 1-60 grind after already suffering a tragic loss. More of a peace of mind and convenience thing than anything else.
  • Familiarize yourself with the auction house...again
You may know the auction house from softcore, but hardcore is a different beast entirely. You have limited supply and the valuations of gear are very different. Get an idea of the kinds of pieces that sell and learn the value of a hardcore item. A weapon valued at 40 million gold in softcore could well be worth 70 million in hardcore, and vice versa
  • Rainy day fund
Two purposes to this one. First is that dying when you're broke is about the worst way you can go. Second is that the item you want may not be on the auction house at the moment. Items in high demand may not stay up long. Sometimes you have to be ready to act at a moment's notice. This goes a long way towards that.
  • Marathon
Jumping into MP2 an hour after hitting 60 isn't the smartest move. Pace yourself and make sure you're comfortable enough to take a few hits in whatever zone you're traveling to. You never know when you're going to get the jailer/arcane/frozen/vortex group
  • Best played with friends
This deserves repeating, especially as you get into the higher MP levels. The difference can be staggering in terms of survivability, especially with variance in classes. I wouldn't touch MP4 solo for key runs, but in our main group it's no problem at all (2 DH, 1 WD, 1 barb)

Play smart, be safe.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/J.../hero/29003941
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/j...seppi/29003941

edit: rankings based on pvp dummy score from diabloprogress. It gives a score based on a weighted valuation of EHP(Effective Health Pool), damage, and other stats. Best category for ranking hardcore characters.

Last edited by Joseppi: 01-08-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Harbinger
sic parvis magna

I just started playing this game otherwise I'd try out that mode.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Zodiac

i'm pretty well burnt out on the game ...dropped a few hundred hours on a Demon Hunter tho ...so i got my money's worth.

not really interested in the other characters. tried a wizard ...didn't do it for me, and i tried a monk which i grew bored of.

really not interested in playing through the content of normal, nightmare, hell, inferno with each character. way too much of a boring grind.

i find the item drops are basically terrible with my Demon Hunter at this point. 99.9% of stuff that drops is vendor trash. its ridiculous that the decent drops are limited so much, because it really really really prevents any interest in building another character. the time it took to get the gear on my DH was ridiculous ...i'd sure as hell never go thru all that again with any more characters.

Diablo 2 had so much better item drops. if i spent the same amount of time that i spent on my Diablo3 Demon Hunter in Diablo2 ...i'd have every character in that game pretty well maxed out with best in slot gear.

thats how ridiculous the grind is in Diablo3.

its so obvious that they want people to use the real money auction house ...or at least the gold auction house in order to progress. 'can't find any good items? ....well take a look at our RMAH and buy this nice bow for $250 real american dollars.' yeah.

and its truly amazing that all the time i spent farming/playing around with my Demon Hunter that any of the really good items i found over that time ...were all for either a Wizard or Barbarian. nothing that was very good for my character ...so obvious that they point you towards the AH.

anyway ...the game still needs work. needs better quality drops to promote making other characters too ...not this ridiculous grind that it is now.

needs pvp bad, too. amazing that its still not in the game going on near 1 year after its release.

edit: i know it sounds like i hate the game, but overall i enjoyed it for quite some time. i said a few times on here that i have a love/hate relationship with it ...love the graphics/artwork, love the combat, some of the bosses are pretty cool, etc ...its just that the loot tends to **** me off ...along with missing pvp, and the fact that you can't distro skill points still kinda bugs me.

so yeah, love/hate.

Last edited by Zodiac: 01-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Closed Thread