HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Diablo 3 - Stay Awhile And Listen

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
This game allegedly has a decade of polish so pointy elbows syndrome is kinda warranted considering everything.
I don't think it's ever really warranted. You should base your opinion, first of all, on the game and the experience with which it provides you. It could have been designed by a roaming pack of cannibals for all it really matters. I understand people not buying something made by cannibals, but I don't understand buying it, enjoying it, and then saying loudly that the fact it was made by cannibals has diminished your enjoyment of it.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:34 PM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

Server is down.

Yet AGAIN

Old
05-31-2012, 01:42 PM
LSnow

Error 37

Old
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
This is a gross exaggeration, if you're a wizard or DH you pretty much only need boots with 10+% speed and you can get by in inferno just fine.
"Just fine" is a complete overstatement.

My DH has a 1k DPS bow, 33k DPS without Sharpshooter, I dropped all vit gear for DEX because I get one-shotted by the tiniest mob either way.

The gameplay at Inferno without uber items (which mine aren't) is both frustrating and boring at the same time.

To be clear, I get by... 2 days ago I soloed Belial, which is fairly hard, after about 3 hours of figuring out where the snakes spawn on the first two phases. (because any hit kills you)
So, finished first 2 Acts. Now in Act 3.
I also soloed Rakanoth on my friends account for him (also DH) since he was stuck there in Act IV - using a fairly cheesy strat which prevents lashers from spawning - which I learned in my Hell playthrough.

Aaaaand... haven't played since.

Why?
Because the "strategy" involves either multi-shotting/nether blasting small creeps (this involves pressing two buttons), or just running around like a lunatic kiting Champion packs, pretty much dying on most of them at least 3-4 times before I kill them.
Oh, did I mention slows don't work on 90% of Ch. packs?

It also involves cheeseball tactics like running a Champion pack you can't kill (pretty much any Fast, for example...) to an area of the dungeon you know you won't lead to the Quest goal.
Makes me feel like a right hero, that one.

It also involves dying about a million times whenever a mob spawns on you (spider, bug), jumps on you from off-screen (lasher), etc...
Basically, whenever your SS or Vault is not available, you're dead.
(so much for class diversity)

There's nothing satisfying or rewarding about Inferno gameplay.

I'll say it one more time, then I'll stop because I'm just repeating myself...
It's bad game-design.
It's a deliberately built artificial difficulty wall designed to make you use the AH, where your own progress will NOT get you through.
(to be clear, my 1k DPS bow I bought off the AH... without it, no way in hell would I kill Belial or half the Champion packs I've seen... without AH, my DPS would probably be around 15k instead of 33k).

Good for guys still having fun in Inferno, but to me, the game completely (and again, deliberately) missed the point off a Diablo game...

Hoarding money to buy items is not what I consider fun.

Hell, even MMOs have a better concept.
Most of the raids are gear checks, but disguised in some way (Access quests, tiered raids, etc... something that still gives you progression ALONG with farming).

This... Farming gold? To buy items?

The bugs, everything centering around AH, no LAN, no offline, server instability, crap itemization, gameplay not balanced (melees pretty much suck balls), non-existant customer service, hacking (I'm still convinced it's a public game issues and not thousands of people WITH AUTHENTICATORS vbeing retartds, story treating me like I'm a tard, etc...

F that, really.
I waited for D3 for 12 years, but nowhere did it say I had to slurp up whatever they throw at me.
IMO, the game was built to milk money off of people on the basis of the franchise name.

If the game was called "Hell vs Heaven" and produced by an indie studio, it would've been completely bashed into the ground by most people and every gaming site out there.

Also, the game mechanic that checks the AH and lowers the drop rate of certain items to help the AH from "being overflooded" with gear is just a slap in the face to me as a customer/gamer where.
(there was a blue post explaining that on BNet forums)

Eh. Yes, I'm mad.

Oh and the servers have been down for the best part of 2 days.... ****ing LOL.
Even the most non-finished MMO (Vanguard!!!) didn't have this many issues 2 weeks after release.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

New patch.

Quote:
Diablo III Patch 1.0.2a v.1.0.2.9858

General
Tooltips for the following class abilities have been updated to reflect changes made in patch 1.0.2 and previous hotfixes:

Demon Hunter
- Smoke Screen (Skill Rune Lingering Fog)

Monk
- Fists of Thunder (Skill Rune Quickening)
- Mantra of Healing (Skill Rune Boon of Inspiration)

Wizard
- Energy Armor (Skill Rune Force Armor)

- Nigel Cutthroat has recently fallen on hard times and will now drop lower quality items when slain
- Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Get the Soul of Azmodan" have been reduced
- Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Go to the Keep" have been removed

Auction House
The maximum duration for posted auctions has been reduced from 48 hours to 36 hours

Old
05-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
"Just fine" is a complete overstatement.

My DH has a 1k DPS bow, 33k DPS without Sharpshooter, I dropped all vit gear for DEX because I get one-shotted by the tiniest mob either way.

The gameplay at Inferno without uber items (which mine aren't) is both frustrating and boring at the same time.

To be clear, I get by... 2 days ago I soloed Belial, which is fairly hard, after about 3 hours of figuring out where the snakes spawn on the first two phases. (because any hit kills you)
So, finished first 2 Acts. Now in Act 3.
I also soloed Rakanoth on my friends account for him (also DH) since he was stuck there in Act IV - using a fairly cheesy strat which prevents lashers from spawning - which I learned in my Hell playthrough.

Aaaaand... haven't played since.

Why?
Because the "strategy" involves either multi-shotting/nether blasting small creeps (this involves pressing two buttons), or just running around like a lunatic kiting Champion packs, pretty much dying on most of them at least 3-4 times before I kill them.
Oh, did I mention slows don't work on 90% of Ch. packs?

It also involves cheeseball tactics like running a Champion pack you can't kill (pretty much any Fast, for example...) to an area of the dungeon you know you won't lead to the Quest goal.
Makes me feel like a right hero, that one.

It also involves dying about a million times whenever a mob spawns on you (spider, bug), jumps on you from off-screen (lasher), etc...
Basically, whenever your SS or Vault is not available, you're dead.
(so much for class diversity)

There's nothing satisfying or rewarding about Inferno gameplay.

I'll say it one more time, then I'll stop because I'm just repeating myself...
It's bad game-design.
It's a deliberately built artificial difficulty wall designed to make you use the AH, where your own progress will NOT get you through.
(to be clear, my 1k DPS bow I bought off the AH... without it, no way in hell would I kill Belial or half the Champion packs I've seen... without AH, my DPS would probably be around 15k instead of 33k).

Good for guys still having fun in Inferno, but to me, the game completely (and again, deliberately) missed the point off a Diablo game...

Hoarding money to buy items is not what I consider fun.

Hell, even MMOs have a better concept.
Most of the raids are gear checks, but disguised in some way (Access quests, tiered raids, etc... something that still gives you progression ALONG with farming).

This... Farming gold? To buy items?

The bugs, everything centering around AH, no LAN, no offline, server instability, crap itemization, gameplay not balanced (melees pretty much suck balls), non-existant customer service, hacking (I'm still convinced it's a public game issues and not thousands of people WITH AUTHENTICATORS vbeing retartds, story treating me like I'm a tard, etc...

F that, really.
I waited for D3 for 12 years, but nowhere did it say I had to slurp up whatever they throw at me.
IMO, the game was built to milk money off of people on the basis of the franchise name.

If the game was called "Hell vs Heaven" and produced by an indie studio, it would've been completely bashed into the ground by most people and every gaming site out there.

Also, the game mechanic that checks the AH and lowers the drop rate of certain items to help the AH from "being overflooded" with gear is just a slap in the face to me as a customer/gamer where.
(there was a blue post explaining that on BNet forums)

Eh. Yes, I'm mad.

Oh and the servers have been down for the best part of 2 days.... ****ing LOL.
Even the most non-finished MMO (Vanguard!!!) didn't have this many issues 2 weeks after release.
Yep. I don't understand how this game took so long to make, seems very poorly designed and not well thought out. The story is just okay, but could've been a lot better. The drop system is just plain stupid, okay I get that you want legendaries to be "legendary" and I'm fine with that. But once you get to Inferno, how are you supposed to do Inferno without Inferno gear? You buy it. The entire game revolves around the auction house and you're pretty much forced to use it after Nightmare. What's the point of the trade option in game, when you don't even use it?! I haven't used it once and I've got over 50 hours played.

Pathetic money grubbing attempt by Blizzard, as if you don't make enough money already.

The skill system is poorly made, and the near impossibility of Inferno makes it so that only 1 or 2 builds are viable on it, which completely goes against what Blizzard says they want you to do which is "encourage diversity with skill builds" then they add Nephalem Valor which doesn't let you change skills. Which is it Blizzard? Make up your mind. At least in D2, many builds were viable, but in D3 if you don't have 2 or 3 defensive spells, you're going to get killed in seconds in Inferno.

The entire Blizzard franchise went down the gutter after WoW was made.

Fun game, but very disappointing with what could have been.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Having played d2 from the first day it arrived, comparing d2 to d3 is like comparing acdc to nickelback.. It is good game, but its now made for mindless hordes of idiot WoW players..

- Graphics are retarded, too WoWish, too bright.. Its a christmas tree !!
- Monsters / combat system is ruined.. The game feels like continuous cow lvl x 100..
- Customization systems suck ass.. Spells are idiotic, half of them are copies of each other and rest are stolen from wow.
- Items suck ass.. Too many different lvls of allmost identical gear..
- Too much item dmg / spell dmg..
- Community, that i was myself creating is now destroyed..
- Story is horrible, i could have created more complex one in 10 minutes..
- No longer unique items.. Only rares, and those doesnt excite anyone..
- Teleport is taken away..

But i still play it and its a good game, but wow is complete crap and im sad that they had to imitate it at all.. ;P
Best point made in this entire ongoing thread.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:40 PM
DallasSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
I will disagree with you on these points. I played D2 for two rounds. One in about 2005 for about 6 months and then another round in 2007 for about a year. In 05 (around the time of Soul Scratch and Bowazons), things worked great. 40 PSkulls was about 1 gull. 2 gulls were worth about 1 SOJ, etc. The round in 07 was horrible (around the reign of hammerdins and PVP necros as well as a ton of duping). There was almost NO WAY to break the SOJ value barrier. I could offer 1 million Pskulls or a stash full of Gulls, but you still wouldn't get an SOJ. You had to either find a godly item or buy something with cash. People either had godly accounts (SOJ+) or were newbs (no SOJs). It was very difficult to get anything worth value even playing for crazy hours.
I think that's a good point and I agree. I didn't really think too much into the classic side when I made that post. I did some thinking right now and I think we need to place some blame on blizzard for that though.

IIRC, they removed the ordered generation of unique rings in 1.07 (sometime in 2001). Therefore, you could not enter a game with Nagelring + Manald Heal and except a unique ring you find/gamble to be a SOJ.

I also believe they changed the modifications on rares. IIRC, there was a point where you could no longer generate the godly 250%+ or whatever % enhanced damage mod that was necessary for weapons.

I think those two changes essentially created that gap. If you can no longer find godly rares, there's no reason for someone to trade a godly rare for perfect skulls/gulls. If you can't roll the %ed mod, there's no reason to trade for perfect skulls.

I think in general, they pretty much ignored classic from 1.07 on. After all, I seem to recall it taking a good week or more just to have them undo the "WW based on your weapon's attack speed" change they brought with 1.07.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Oilbender

I was fighting a rare pack of vultures in Act 2 inferno that were unable to be targeted, but yet managed to land for a millisecond and launch off 4 mortars before taking flight and becoming impossible to damage again. I had to turn the game off for a few hours and question how much I felt like abusing their mob designers after that one.

I'm going to keep playing it and trudge through inferno, because, well... I've already given these jerks my $60, but I think I'll be pretty careful falling into Blizzard hype from now on.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Nah, that's grinding. Farming is replaying certain parts of maps to get gear.
All farming is grinding, but not all grinding is farming.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post

Old
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Legit lol.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Killed Rakanoth on Inferno. It's a very badly tuned fight for melee classes and especially for barbarians.

First, he doesn't drop a single health globe. This is one of the hardest hitting boss in the game. His two adds he spawns might drop one or two. But it basically means you are screwed unless you got quite a bit of life on hit because you can't really stand toe to toe with him at all otherwise. I was using Wrath of the Beserker which gave me 60% extra dodge for 15 seconds and still sometimes came up with less health than I started with (with 560 life on hit + 1000 health regeneration/second). That's how hard he hits if he manages to land a hit or two.

Secondly, he has a teleport-insta backstab move that hit my barb (10k armor and 1k physical resist) for up to 30k. So basically you have to try to stun him when he does it but it's a bit bugged so sometimes you throw the stun and he still teleports and hits you and after that he is stunned. So even if you play perfectly you hope to get lucky and dodge one of those.

Thirdly, he spawns god damned soul rippers who knocks you back right into the boss.

So basically you have a boss that not only is more punishing to melee classes than any other boss in the game but also one that has a huge amount of randomness involved.

It's even worse because he is basically the gatekeeper for Act 4. You can't destroy the corruption thingies without killing him so he is a progress block. It was very satisfying getting the kill but mostly relief not having to play him again.

Last edited by Freudian: 05-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Via ******, this post is gold:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834615

A small sample from the introduction:

Quote:
A lot of people seem to be complaining about many things in Diablo 3, but most of it boils down to loot. Even progression boils down to loot drops at a functional level.

It's not to difficult to identify the problem here. People enjoy getting loot for their character. People enjoy seeing loot drop. These trigger certain pleasure centers in our brains. People don't really enjoy searching the auction house for items. But the most efficient way to get gear for your character is not by seeing it drop.

Rational behavior will dictate that the path of least resistance (in this case, time) will direct behavior. So, because the Auction House is faster to obtain loot, this will be the default "best" place to get it. Especially since you can get what you want, right now. Even though it is less fun.

This means, that the Auction House needs to not be the cheapest best place to get all of your gear, which means that the game needs to - generally - have lower drop rates - because the existence of the Auction House increases the visibility and availability of gear. If everyone had good gear, and everyone could put it on the Auction House, then the prices would drop and the Auction House would be defacto the best place to get gear.

Unfortunately - the problem is that the Auction House pricing is already deflated. To the point of making the Blacksmith (another gear acquisition path) a non-option for someone attempting any semblance of rational behavior (Rational Behavior from an economics/Game Theory stand point - path of least resistance).

Old
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think eventually Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting will become viable. There are no real gold sinks in the game so the inflation is insane. At some point gambling on an armor piece with six magic properties for 170k gold will be a better investment than spending them on the AH.

The price of average stuff on the AH will of course go down (600 dps weapons and so on) because there are so many items dropped and there isn't any real demand for low end stuff. But the attractive stuff is costing more and more. I don't see prices getting deflated at all.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think eventually Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting will become viable. There are no real gold sinks in the game so the inflation is insane. At some point gambling on an armor piece with six magic properties for 170k gold will be a better investment than spending them on the AH.

The price of average stuff on the AH will of course go down (600 dps weapons and so on) because there are so many items dropped and there isn't any real demand for low end stuff. But the attractive stuff is costing more and more. I don't see prices getting deflated at all.
Last week the cheapest Goldskin was 2,000,000 gold. I could have bought several yesterday for 90,000

Old
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Last week the cheapest Goldskin was 2,000,000 gold. I could have bought several yesterday for 90,000
That's because a lot of people hit 60 this week and started farming. The supply of legendaries has increased.

Freudian makes a good point, there's basically no where but the AH to spend gold so naturally prices will increase over time.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Players will WoW experience can tell you some good stories about selling items for huge amounts of gold at the beginning of an expansion and eventually those items become pretty much worthless even a few weeks after release. lol

Old
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
It's kinda crap, isn't it? Things that are crap aren't going to have any value. Initially people had this thing for legendaries where prices were bizarre given the stats on them. Also, I suspect there weren't all that many Goldskin sold at those prices.

Gear that has real endgame use has had the price rise constantly. Plenty of Dex/Int/Str and Vit and Resist All Elements, Attack Speed, Life on Hit and of course Weapons that do a lot of damage since the ability system is completely based around weapon damage.

I've vendored some legendaries because they are more or less useless and not worth spending one of the ten AH slots on.

There is massive inflation in the game. Any good end game gear costs much more now than it did a week ago. Check the prices on well rolled Stormshields.

Last edited by Freudian: 05-31-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
There is massive inflation in the game.
Of course there is. If there wasn't, what would the point of having a RMAH be? Real money will obviously keep its value, but gold will be largely worthless soon enough.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
XO

Funny comment on battle.net forums "This game is actually more like a religious experience: Pray to Play".

Everytime I'm about to play some the servers are down

Old
05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
Via ******, this post is gold:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834615

A small sample from the introduction:
Read that earlier, I love some of the ideas. I particularly like having Gems included as part of crafting recipes so that you can remove the complete guesswork from smithing. For the first 4-5 days of playing, I was leveling up the blacksmith a lot but stopped once I realized just how inefficient it was to not use the AH.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
So the biggest reason I don't "love" this game is that it just doesn't feel like Diablo a lot of the time; much of that has to do with the artwork. Every now and then I have a moment in the game where I look at something on the screen and it just seems wrong.

The clearest example of that for me is Maghda. Why the HELL is she constantly flailing all her limbs around? Looks stupid and childish, not dark and evil. Nothing about her character design seems Diablo-y.

06-01-2012, 12:24 AM
just22
meat and taters

Mother****ing sand wasps

Old
06-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Unholy

Account def got hacked tonight. Logged in just in time I guess since only my gold was gone and my 60 was untouched. Changed my authenticator from the dial in to the mobile one (thought I already did at the beginning) and added the sms alert thing. Reported the person on my most recent players list since it was obviously them. A level 1 character with the name similar to akdaslk.

Oh well, luckily I didn't have that much at the time and my characters are the same.

Freakin hackers though.