HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What to do when you're one of the least skilled people on your team?

Old
02-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
What to do when you're one of the least skilled people on your team?

I play in a floor hockey casual league at the local YCMA (roughly the same 10-14 guys three times a week). The point of the league is for exercise and running around, not competition (not that we track points). Some of these guys have serious skill (they play real hockey on the side). I would say that I am one of the least skilled players there. I am a competitive person and I take playing floor hockey more seriously than I should. I score a goal once in a while but I wish I could help the team I'm on more (not necessarily be a superstar but just a little something that helps).

I suppose I could goon it up

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
TieClark

Just keep it simple. If you're one of the least skilled but not being noticed, you're not doing a bad job at all.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
nightfighter

Do the little things. Set up screens in front of the net, retrieve the ball in the offensive zone, etc. All things that don't require a lot of "skill". Just a lot of hard work and tenacity.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
shawn1331

Try your hardest and don't give minimal effort. We were all the "scrub" at one point. Some day sooner than you think you'll be sniping 2-3 goals a game, especially if you play 3 times a week. Have fun and keep trying buddy!

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:32 PM
7toZulu

I'm definitely in your shoes man, i am prob the worst skater and passer at drop in on any given day, besides the really old guy who can barely move around. I probably have the worst tactics and positioning ever, but by just chasing the puck and not letting up, i seem to get a goal or two every time i go. Maybe i am that guy that people are irritated by, but hey, i gotta get some action somehow!

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Ozz

It won't hurt to talk w/your team to ask how you can be better utilized than you might be currently.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Robs789

Its tough to suggest things when you say this isnt a very competitive league, but always ask your teammates what they suggest you do in certain situation you go through.

One big thing my teammates suggested when i first started was if your more unskilled than the rest of the players is to always be infront of the net, screen the goalie. It'll be easier for you to get rebounds/garbage goals than try to get through the defense and try to get a shot off.

Robs789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Three times a week is a lot. Just keep playing and don't be discouraged. You'll improve without even noticing it.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
BHDefensiveForward

I was once one of those guys, before I could dangle three guys on a team and create plays in front of the net. Hockey takes a lot of work, off and on the ice/floor!

What I did when I was playing with much skilled players than myself, was two things:

1. Hustle! Work your 'balls' off so to speak for your 1-2 minute shift. (Don't chase the ball, stay on a man as well)

2. Never give up! I went from playing with Div 1/2 guys from nothing, and I got my butt handed to me over and over again. Now I can dangle those same guys, and make some plays, why you ask? Well playing against stronger players forces you to improve at a rapid speed over time because it's the only way you can keep up, so don't give up!

If I gave up when I wasn't doing much for the team, I wouldn't have gotten to the point where I am now skill wise! Staying with it is and spending hours by myself learning to stickhandle and shoot is why I'm competing as well as I do.

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:06 AM
silkyjohnson50

Effort, effort, effort.

If you bring great effort and try to play sound defensively, then you're doing your job.
You don't have to be among the most skilled to be successful. Just understand your role and have fun. And with practice and experience you can improve in time.

I personally can never get upset when i play with less skilled players as long as i know that they're giving a great effort. I can, however, get upset with more skilled players when they float around and don't give a better effort.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Maccas

Work, work, work.
I'm not the worst player on my current team but I am a long way off our best and a little prone to the odd silly mistake but no-one has ever said that I don't put the effort in.
I never stop skating when I am on the ice unless I am parking myself infront of the net, admittedly that means I am often absolutely shattered after the game but I'd much rather that than only be putting in moderate effort.
My big tip to anyone starting which has helped me loads is to learn your positioning off ice and really stick to it, if you are in the right place at the right time then your life will be so much easier.

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

You said it yourself man it's non competitive. Get out there and just work on improving your game, no better way to help your team. It's about fun man, don't stress over it.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Have a good attitude is number one.

Then find what you're good at and try to do that as much as possible. Yes, work on your weak points, but if you're a goal scorer, score goals, if you're a passer, move the puck, if you're a defensive guy, do that. You won't seem as weak as the competition.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:50 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Show Me Your TDs

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
If you can't contribute offensively atleast be solid in the D zone.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
play solid defensively

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'm probably the least 'skilled' player on my ball hockey team as well. I'm also probably the best defensive defenseman on the team as well. Use your brain and try to outthink the players... be strong positionally... don't be afraid to block shots, etc. Most importantly, it work hard and know your limitations.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
HabsByTheBay

Goalie.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Firestorm

Some thoughts on the responses so far:

-There is no traditional goalie on either team, we flip the nets down and have the smaller opening. There is usually one substitute, so generally we're running around all the time.

-I think I have embarrassed myself from missing some easy passes, pathetic shots and doing a really bad turnover which caused a goal. It's possible that this has lead to me not getting passed the ball as much (not that I demand it all the time), but I think some of it is that giving me the ball is like handing me a hot potato.

-One of the biggest things to get right is shooting on a cross-ice or cross-floor pass. In my last game, I was at the front of the net and I had about 3 cross ice passes with the net right in front of me, but I missed every time (sometime the ball was bouncing and such).

-I think I try to rush my game a little bit and that gets me into trouble. My ability to 'think ahead' is not there. As a defender, I like to think of myself as

-I just have a normal wooden stick, no tape. Should I look into tape?

-I do get discouraged easily (in part because I take the game seriously and take losses personally). I know that it's just for fun, but who likes to lose? (If you knew me as a person, you would understand). And sometimes, I do float around. Maybe I don't have the best attitude?

Old
02-20-2012, 01:35 AM
BHDefensiveForward

I should also add this if you intend on being a D-Man! Do not, and I say this because I've seen so many new players do this... Do not, try to dangle/deke anyone coming at you if you're the last man back... Make a smart pass, or clear it up the side, never down the middle. In some cases you can pass back to your goalie, but I've seen newer players create horrible situations by doing this, so just clear or pass.

I've just finished a few pickup games this weekend, and we had one guy back, he tried to deke the forward out, instead of passing to the two open guys, other team scored...

Last edited by BHDefensiveForward: 02-20-2012 at 01:52 AM.
BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:07 AM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Some thoughts on the responses so far:

-There is no traditional goalie on either team, we flip the nets down and have the smaller opening. There is usually one substitute, so generally we're running around all the time.

-I think I have embarrassed myself from missing some easy passes, pathetic shots and doing a really bad turnover which caused a goal. It's possible that this has lead to me not getting passed the ball as much (not that I demand it all the time), but I think some of it is that giving me the ball is like handing me a hot potato.

-One of the biggest things to get right is shooting on a cross-ice or cross-floor pass. In my last game, I was at the front of the net and I had about 3 cross ice passes with the net right in front of me, but I missed every time (sometime the ball was bouncing and such).

-I think I try to rush my game a little bit and that gets me into trouble. My ability to 'think ahead' is not there. As a defender, I like to think of myself as

-I just have a normal wooden stick, no tape. Should I look into tape?

-I do get discouraged easily (in part because I take the game seriously and take losses personally). I know that it's just for fun, but who likes to lose? (If you knew me as a person, you would understand). And sometimes, I do float around. Maybe I don't have the best attitude?
Honestly, if you let embarrassment get to you, you won't get better. You just have to be like, "okay i don't care about looking like a fool. I'm a new player but i can get better". If you can't get pass that part, join another league with people around the same level as you. Someone who is good is someone who has learned how to make every mistake possible.

Having confidence in your game is the first step. Whether that's practicing a move 1000x at home until you can do it without thinking or having some kind of pump-up ritual, the key is going out there and thinking you can contribute. You don't have to be scoring goals but can contribute defensively. For example, stay tight to your check and lift their sticks.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Narut

did u see the "Small, but big tips"-thread?

there are alot of tips for less skilled players.

imo beginners tend to get hectic and make stupid things because of it. u mostly have more time than u think. it really helps when u start to take u time and think about your next move instead of getting hectic.

ah and as a defense man play it save. if u dont know what to do shoot the puck over the boards (not through the middle!!) out of your defense zone.

in the offensive zone: if u have the puck, dont try a super "i use all my power" slapshot, it probably wont hit the net. so better try an acurate shot. at our team even the defense man with the worst shot creates dangerous situations with wierd flying pucks to the net if u are in trouble and ur shot will probably get blocked by a player because he stands right in front of u: dont shoot to the net. shoot the puck in the corner of the ofensive zone, ur offensive men can still can convert this into something usefull. otherwise your blocked shot could easily cause a break away...

Last edited by Narut: 02-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Firestorm

Should I try tape on my stick?

Old
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Squidriss

Play like an animal, everyone loves effort!

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Should I try tape on my stick?
For ball, I wouldn't. Just adds friction when you want the ball to roll freely.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidriss View Post
Play like an animal, everyone loves effort!
this. Out hustle your opponent. If you're playing a wing, cover your opposing D man like glue, take him out of the game, pressure him when he gets the ball and try and get a turnover.

Think of it this way: you say you're the worst guy out there. If you can neutralize just one guy, keep him from scoring, causing him to turn over the ball and a teammate can pick it up and score, you're more useful to your team than the guy you're covering is.

Keep it simple, find something you can do, and win a personal battle.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote