HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nicklas Lidstrom officially retires

Old
05-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Cruiser008

vCash: 500
Damn.... the first Wings game I ever watched on TV was during Lidstrom's rookie year. I'm deeply saddened right now.

All good things come to an end.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

We shouldn't overlook the fact that the vast majority of Lidstrom's career overlapped with Yzerman's... you can't be the heart and soul of something that already has a heart and soul and 8 years of being top dog isn't nearly equal to 20+. If Lidstrom existed in a vacuum, maybe people would have loved him like they did Stevie. We'll call it the Fedorov Problem.

But the Euro thing did play a part. In this area especially, Canada isn't considered foreign. We live and work with people from Ontario, we watch their television shows, we go there for all kinds of crap... Steve Yzerman was one of us in a way Nick could never hope to match, even if everything else had been the equal.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:43 PM
ricky0034

too bad the Wings couldn't win a few more games this year to get him that Playoff games played record

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Thank you, Nick. Meeting you as a kid is still one of the coolest things ever and it won't be right watching the Wings without number 5 out there on the ice

Hopefully there's no lockout so we can get that number up in the rafters ASAP

Old
05-30-2012, 10:54 PM
VM1138

This "disconnect" with Detroit and the Wings is directly proportional to the Wings success and the other teams.

"Exciting" sports teams get the news coverage and the passion. The Wings haven't done anything really exciting since landing Hossa and making the run in '09. Detroit expects more than early playoff knockouts now.

Now, combine that with the Lions finally fielding a decent team and the Tigers landing Prince Fielder and all that crap, it's no wonder they've dropped out of the limelight.

Basically, the city expects to be given a reason to root for a team--whatever that team is. Remember, the Tigers were practically giving tickets away early in the 2000s and the Lions are their own sad story. Don't take it personally.

I honestly don't think we should worry about who is more popular. Guys like Yzerman don't come along every era. Sometimes a player and a city just click. There's no science to it. It's no knock on the Wings, on Lidstrom, or any other player. It's happened in very sport.

There hasn't been an athlete who really connects with the city of Detroit since Barry Sanders or Yzerman in any sport.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget marketing. The Wings players are never marketed and they live low-key lives. Calvin Johnson probably has an entire team of publicists to market his image separate from the team and CREATE a fan base. Not a knock on Johnson, just the reality of America's celebrity culture. Things just don't happen, they are cultivated, and I don't think the Wings do that.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:58 PM
DeYarmond Edison
Subtle Interference

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampOfVegas View Post
They're announcing that the "perfect human" is infact a cyborg. That Holmstrom was the first attempt at the Skynet Cyborg...

... or hes retiring while hockey is still relevant in the news. Plus send out a "hey guess what.. Detroit has a **** ton of money Suter and Parise".
Exactly what i said, hahaha.

Goodbye, Captain. Thank you for everything.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

I'm only a few months older than Lidstrom's Red Wings career. So this coming season will be something new for me and kinda surreal without him. The Wings without him is something I don't know.

Nick is part of the reason I'm became a Wings fan at such a young age rather than my hometown Flyers. He is a legend and is for my money the 2nd greatest Defenseman of all-time.

He was nearly flawless on the ice. Positioning, defense, offense, vision, passing, hockey IQ and leadership were all almost 2nd to none. No matter who the Red Wings sign, trade for, or draft he can not be replaced. The only replacing of Nicklas Lidstrom is his spot on the roster.

Not only was he an amazing player but by all accounts also a classy and great person, hence the "Perfect Human" nickname.

His retirement will be tough for me to deal with. But I've had experience with my favorites players or team legends leaving before to help me cope. Like Yzerman retiring or Shanahan going to New York and others in other sports. Although at least I won't have to watch Lids don another teams jersey like Shanny and others.

I want to thank Nicklas Lidstrom for his all around great play and 4 Stanley Cups he helped bring the Wings. As well congratulate him on all is accomplishments in the NHL. Can't wait to see his #5 raised in the rafters at The Joe and his 1st ballot entry into the Hall of Fame.

I'm gonna miss ya Lids and will still wear my Lidstrom jersey proudly! Thanks for the memories!

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

There hasn't been an athlete who really connects with the city of Detroit since Barry Sanders or Yzerman in any sport.
Ben Wallace starting in about 2001 until he left for Chicago

Reality Check is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Tomorrow will truly be a sad day for me. The last of the early 90s Wings is done, and one of the best defenceman of ALL TIME calls it quits. Nik is the model player. Quite, humble, a hard worker and a person who just oozes confidence. For me, Nik is top 3 defenceman of all time.

I became a Wings fan in the early 90s. That team Holland and co assembled will for me go down as one of the most legendary collections of atheletes I have ever and probably will ever see. And now its pretty much over.

Nik just wasn`t human. We can never replace what he did for the Wings. People debating on Yzerman vs Lidstrom and who is the bigger legend are missing the point. The point is, after Stevie and Shanny left in `06, Lidstrom took this team by the scruff and made sure they never missed a beat.

I`m telling you all, the NHL will want to award Lidstrom the Hart Trophy postumously when he retires. Its a travesty that he`s never won the award.

But what else is there to say. L-E-G-E-N-D!!!!

4 Stanley Cups
Olympic Gold
7 Norris trophies
Conn Smythe winner
12 time All Star

He`s done it all. Nothing left to prove. In a way, he`s doing us a favour. There`s some young defenceman on the market that will help us for the next decade.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:22 PM
octopi

Wings could totally sell little heart shaped cards with winged wheels to send to him, and they'd be snapped up like candy.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
Tomorrow will truly be a sad day for me. The last of the early 90s Wings is done, and one of the best defenceman of ALL TIME calls it quits. Nik is the model player. Quite, humble, a hard worker and a person who just oozes confidence. For me, Nik is top 3 defenceman of all time.

I became a Wings fan in the early 90s. That team Holland and co assembled will for me go down as one of the most legendary collections of atheletes I have ever and probably will ever see. And now its pretty much over.

Nik just wasn`t human. We can never replace what he did for the Wings. People debating on Yzerman vs Lidstrom and who is the bigger legend are missing the point. The point is, after Stevie and Shanny left in `06, Lidstrom took this team by the scruff and made sure they never missed a beat.

I`m telling you all, the NHL will want to award Lidstrom the Hart Trophy postumously when he retires. Its a travesty that he`s never won the award.

4 Stanley Cups
Olympic Gold
7 Norris trophies
Conn Smythe winner
12 time All Star

He`s done it all. Nothing left to prove.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:56 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

I started watching the Red Wings back around 1997 when I was 6 years old. We have finally lost the final member of that team. The Red Wings won't ever be the same. Hopefully one of the younger guys or prospects can become the new face of the franchise for 15+ years. He was the greatest defensemen ever. Played the best two way hockey of any player.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:58 PM
octopi

Can someone youtube the press conference just in case NHL.com doesn't put the vid up?

Old
DieHeartRedWingsFan

What if Lidstrom retire and pull a Hasek. Try to come back after few years of retire. Hasek like what 47 now and want to come back to play in the NHL.

DieHeartRedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WesNichols14

I wish Nick could know how much watching him play brought joy to my life. he is a real life super hero. and forever a Detroit Icon

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:59 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHeartRedWingsFan View Post
What if Lidstrom retire and pull a Hasek. Try to come back after few years of retire. Hasek like what 47 now and want to come back to play in the NHL.
Why would that be a problem with 6 d-men a night on the team?

Unlike goalie, there are multiple positions.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:09 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post

4 Stanley Cups
Olympic Gold
World Championship Gold
1 of 17 (I think) in the Triple Gold Club

7 Norris trophies
Conn Smythe winner
12 time All Star

He`s done it all. Nothing left to prove. In a way, he`s doing us a favour. There`s some young defenceman on the market that will help us for the next decade.
Added a couple to the list for ya.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:27 AM
theYman
Babstare!

theYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 490
The NHL is losing something truly great tomorrow.
Thank you, Nicklas Lidstrom for twenty great years of hockey, four Stanley Cups, and for being a super class-act.

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:55 AM
TheOtherOne

Sorry to take a tangent but that is the stupidest article headline I've ever seen.

The author says within it that a press conference will be held, but Ken Holland will NOT officially say whether or not Lidstrom is returning, because Lidstrom has earned the right to make that announcement himself.

Meanwhile the big bold headline says "Lidstrom to announce retirement".

Stay classy nhl.com

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Thats My Hat

Damn, this thread made the reality of Lidstrom retiring even more depressing. I'm not going to believe any article/tweet/speculation about Lidstrom retiring until I hear it coming from his own mouth.

But I would agree that he's probably going to call it a career. He has nothing else to prove/accomplish and that deep bone bruise really changed him. He's played for the Wings my entire life, so it'll be weird next season if he retires. I hope KH will be aggressive for Suter if he makes it to the market.

Thats My Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

what's even more depressing is that he's moving back to Sweden so we won't get to see him up in a box every night like we did Steve. Hopefully we find something for him to do... maybe he can be Hakkan's protege

Old
05-31-2012, 02:07 AM
sureWhyNot

Ouch. I knew this day would inevitably come but still doesn't make much easier to swallow.

I, as I imagine everyone else here and hockey fans in general will be so sad to see him go.

He was a fixture on this team for as long as I can remember and it's tough to imagine him not being back and will be for quite a long time even after the season starts.

Amazing player, teammate, person and leader.

Will definitely be there I watch the number 5 raised to the rafters and like everyone on Stevie's night, will most likely shed a tear.

sureWhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:49 AM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles...nce-retirement
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...226/story.html
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397224

thanks Nik for your dedication, longevity and perseverance to a game we all love. A future 1st ballot HHOFer

Last edited by Borjes Baumingdyk: 05-31-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:50 AM
obey86

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...stisk-karriar/

lidstrom interview with a swedish magazine about his retirement. this all but seals it I guess (not that we already werent 99.9999% sure he was retiring)

obey86 is online now   Reply With Quote