HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mystery, Intrigue Surrounding McSorley's Illegal Stick Likely To Live On For Eternity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2012, 05:06 AM
  #1
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Mystery, Intrigue Surrounding McSorley's Illegal Stick Likely To Live On For Eternity

Mystery, Intrigue Surrounding Former LA Kings Defenseman Marty McSorley’s Illegal Stick Likely To Live On For Eternity

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
  #2
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 21,248
vCash: 413
Maria Maria
She reminds me of a west side story
Growing up in Spanish Harlem
She's living the life just like a movie star
Maria Maria
She fell in love in East L.A.
To the sounds of the guitar, yeah, yeah
Played by Carlos Ganntana

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
  #3
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wondered what happened to that stick. Kings were about to go up 2-0 and come back home and with the rule changes today it's not even a penalty any more. No doubt in my mind Montreal cheated and knew who was using the illegal curves but I would put more of the blame on Melrose who should have instructed his guys on the ice to be using their "good" sticks. Hopefully, this will be a little less important in 4 more wins. And to those of you who weren't around when Marty was here you can't really pick somebody to compare him to today. Could run the PP, put up a ton of points, played solid defense and he was one of the most feared enforcers in the game. And he's most remembered for using an illegal curve and hitting Brashear in the head, which has to hurt.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:42 AM
  #4
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I wondered what happened to that stick. Kings were about to go up 2-0 and come back home and with the rule changes today it's not even a penalty any more. No doubt in my mind Montreal cheated and knew who was using the illegal curves but I would put more of the blame on Melrose who should have instructed his guys on the ice to be using their "good" sticks. Hopefully, this will be a little less important in 4 more wins. And to those of you who weren't around when Marty was here you can't really pick somebody to compare him to today. Could run the PP, put up a ton of points, played solid defense and he was one of the most feared enforcers in the game. And he's most remembered for using an illegal curve and hitting Brashear in the head, which has to hurt.
Did it say? I've looked through the article twice, but didn't see it mention what happened to the stick afterwards.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:10 AM
  #5
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Did it say? I've looked through the article twice, but didn't see it mention what happened to the stick afterwards.
he said he has it at home, NOT displayed

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:10 AM
  #6
Kings man 4 life
Registered User
 
Kings man 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Repub. of CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
There is an article on SI that says he has it still.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:11 AM
  #7
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
he said he has it at home, NOT displayed
Hopefully he stores it in the woodchipper or the furnace.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
  #8
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Did it say? I've looked through the article twice, but didn't see it mention what happened to the stick afterwards.
5/27/12 Marty McSorley Interview


TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
  #9
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Ahh, ok, was in the video. I have trouble with videos at work so I didn't watch it. Thanks though. I'm surprised he didn't get rid of that thing.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
  #10
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Did it say? I've looked through the article twice, but didn't see it mention what happened to the stick afterwards.
McSorley still has the stick. He just doesn't have it on display. I chose not to use that part of the press conference in my story.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
  #11
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Ahh, ok, was in the video. I have trouble with videos at work so I didn't watch it. Thanks though. I'm surprised he didn't get rid of that thing.
I also have that in the audio of the press conference...included with my story.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:03 AM
  #12
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Hopefully he stores it in the woodchipper or the furnace.
Good or bad it is a very important part of hockey history. If you think about sports in general how many times has a championship series been decided or helped along by somebody using illegal equipment? It would be comparable to Arod having his bat explode with super balls inside of it during the World Series that the Yankees go on to lose.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  #13
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. The Kings didn't lose the series because of Marty's stick.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:34 AM
  #14
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Good or bad it is a very important part of hockey history. If you think about sports in general how many times has a championship series been decided or helped along by somebody using illegal equipment? It would be comparable to Arod having his bat explode with super balls inside of it during the World Series that the Yankees go on to lose.
While I agree with you, I still hate that ****ing stick and I would not shed one tear if it was turned into wood chips to be used at the bottom of a bird cage.

A better comparision would have been a corked bat IMO.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
  #15
T308
HFBoards Sponsor
 
T308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I would not shed one tear if it was turned into wood chips to be used at the bottom of a bird cage.
I feel the same way about Guy Carbonneau.

T308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  #16
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
While I agree with you, I still hate that ****ing stick and I would not shed one tear if it was turned into wood chips to be used at the bottom of a bird cage.

A better comparision would have been a corked bat IMO.
McSorley should bring it on the ice when the Kings win the Cup and burn it

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.