HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Cmox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
is there a link to the chat transcript? I couldn't find it on blueshirts united
I couldn't find a transcript. I did copy and paste a few things that Cerny said in the offseason thread.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
overpaying by us .... Nash is essentially a salary dump hence we shouldn't over pay ... at all
If Nash is a salary dump then CBJ is more likely to take any deal in which Dubi excluded.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If the team keeps Brian Boyle and Konopka over Arty, that's just an awful roster decision.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If the team keeps Brian Boyle and Konopka over Arty, that's just an awful roster decision.
I agree with this, but you could get rid of Boyle, Dubi, and Ani and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Ani though still has some untapped potential. The problem is he needs to get physically stronger, if he can't. His lack of physicality really holds him back. If that does not improve, he will eventually get moved.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

I can see having Konopka as the 13th forward. I can see him consistently being our 4th line center if he gets the same minutes Rupp did this year (which is pretty much nothing). What I can't see is the point of having both him, Prust and Rupp.

I also hope he never scores a goal. Remember when Torts started using Rupp on the PP after the WC?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
is there a link to the chat transcript? I couldn't find it on blueshirts united
For some reason,they never keep a transcript.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Prust's girlfriend lives here

She is a French Canadian girl he met here

Prust will re-sign. Prust is a Newport Sports guy. The Rangers will bend a little and Newport will bend a little.
Hey RB, Agreed about the gf, but she's originally from the Quebec region and well known in the Montreal atrs scene, as she's been in many local TV shows/ads.
My only worry is that with Therrien being just hired, and his penchant for scrappy hard nosed players, the Habs may throw lots of $$ at him, and the offer may be too much for us to match.
Having said this, I expect him to sign, as both he and his gf love NY.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I seriously doubt that buy-outs won't carry cap-hits into the next CBA. They didn't last time because there was no cap in the last CBA. This time it will be apples to apples.
I agree. The small market teams are not going to let large market teams off the hook this time.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I agree. The small market teams are not going to let large market teams off the hook this time.
Those small markets want more revenue sharing dollars. Would you agree to share more of your money without getting something in return? Fehr will demand the teams share more revenue in the NHL.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
To put it bluntly, I think Anisimov is soft.

And I think his days with the Rangers are numbered.
I like Artie.

But I agree. He'd do better on another team, and we could have a better fit for this team than him. He doesn't have the same fight.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I think Artie should be moved, but only for the right return.
I think Dubi should be kept.
I think Boyle should be kept (on the 4th line)
I don't want Konopka at all.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brooks reported the Drury cap hit could be off the books in the next CBA

Quote:
The Rangers, meanwhile, will be cap-charged approximately $3.717 million for the buyout this season and $1.667 million next year, though the obligation for 2012-13 could be erased pending negotiations of a new labor agreement.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1x99T0Gdm

Everything is negotiable. They just need to actually negotiate which they haven't done once yet and the CBA expires 3 months from next Friday.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Those small markets want more revenue sharing dollars. Would you agree to share more of your money without getting something in return? Fehr will demand the teams share more revenue in the NHL.
It needs to be sold to the owners that making all teams healthy is the path to maximizing their own profits. If they need to pitch in through revenue sharing, that's what they need to do. It's a hard argument when the truly rich teams in the league have only gotten richer recently (TOR, NYR, MTL, etc). But you might be able to convince the other rich teams that aren't so enormous, like Boston, Chicago, San Jose, etc, to sway their fellow big market teams into that camp.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Last time the small market teams ran the show during the lockout. Unless there has been a change in the balance of power within the owners, I expect things to get ugly--especially with all the games that have been played with free agent contracts.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
This is the most important point. Not only do the small market teams need and want more revenue sharing, NHLPA will be pushing that agenda. Fehr knows that baseball finally achieved parity and labor peace when the revenue sharing pot was expanded. One of the ways baseball accomplished this was keeping all digital rights and sharing the revenue equally so the owners didn't lose "old money" revenue. With hockey revenue growing and new streams being added, there's a path here to achieve much greater sharing without scaring the big city teams too badly.

Even though the "salary cap" is 57% of revenue, the actual payout is less. I've heard numbers between 52% and 54% (due to floor teams, Phoenix etc.) Greater revenue sharing has to be part of the solution. And RB is right, teams will get something for that, probably amnesty buyouts and perhaps other ways to bury contracts or include cash in deals.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I really don't like what's being insinuated in this thread about Brian Boyle. He's not a third line center. He's an adequate 4th line center. I would keep Anisimov over Boyle easily.

A third line of Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko/prospect/free agent would be a great, defensively responsible, offensively contributing unit. Overpaying Konopka would only make matters worse.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I dunno. I'm leery of paying a UFA price for a guy like that. We've overpaid on Rupp, Brashear, and Boogie. If we're going to break the bank on a face-off guy, I just assume go after Gaustad. He wins draws, fights, and brings 20-30 points to the table. He'll probably take north of $2.5M per year to get signed though.
Gaustad would command too much money, Konopka may not even get 1 million a season. If we could have won a few more draws the Caps series may not have even gone to 7 games. Having someone who can win faceoffs consistently is extremely underrated on these boards. Neil Smith knew that and overpaid for MacTavish when we already had Messier. Konopka will only cost money, I have no issue with it.

Lastly on Konopka everyone talks about how he wins draws and fights, he is an excellent penalty killer who would quickly buy into our team concept. Konopka was a player I wanted at the deadline, not Scott, hopefully Sather will sign his usual 3 free agents this summer
1. faceoff guy (bottom pair)
2. 2nd pair defenseman to replace Sauer if available
3. goal scorer - But I really feel we will have to trade to fill this need

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I really don't like what's being insinuated in this thread about Brian Boyle. He's not a third line center. He's an adequate 4th line center. I would keep Anisimov over Boyle easily.

A third line of Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko/prospect/free agent would be a great, defensively responsible, offensively contributing unit. Overpaying Konopka would only make matters worse.
Boyle is so undervalued here, he was our best player in the playoffs until he took a headshot and he was EXTREMELY overused on the PK this year. Having Konopka allows Boyle to get less PK minutes and hopefully contribute offensively. Anisimov looked great on the wing earlier in the year with Stepan and Gabby, adding Konopka does not mean Artie gets traded, but I think makes it easier for us to trade Dubi in a package for scoring help.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Craig Custance wrote about revenue sharing

Quote:
Under the current system, the only teams eligible for revenue sharing are those in the bottom half of the league in revenues that play in markets with 2.5 million or fewer TV households. That doesn't do much to help teams in bigger television markets such as the New York Islanders, Devils, Anaheim Ducks and Sharks.

It's expected that the next CBA will allow teams to take on a portion of players' salary when making trades, something that isn't currently allowed. It's a movement supported by small-market teams since it becomes a form of alternative revenue sharing. They get a player they might not be able to afford and a team like the Toronto Maple Leafs or New York Rangers can pay a portion of his salary. That will help.

But a more meaningful overhaul of revenue sharing has to come with the new CBA. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr's background is in baseball, a sport with relative labor peace and strong revenue sharing among teams. There's no salary cap in baseball. It's hard to imagine the toothpaste going back in the tube in regards to the salary cap in hockey, but he'll no doubt point to the baseball model as a successful one.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...-cba-talks-nhl

That is Brian Burke's idea from 2007.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Boyle is so undervalued here, he was our best player in the playoffs until he took a headshot and he was EXTREMELY overused on the PK this year. Having Konopka allows Boyle to get less PK minutes and hopefully contribute offensively. Anisimov looked great on the wing earlier in the year with Stepan and Gabby, adding Konopka does not mean Artie gets traded, but I think makes it easier for us to trade Dubi in a package for scoring help.

How about Andrew Shaw from Hawks. He is a pk player but has alot of speed and can play center and wing...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_player.htm?id=8476381

Shaw and 2ed to Rangers
Anisimov to Hawks..

Shaw is a 20 year old and was a 5th round steal in 2011 draft. One reason I feel JT Miller will make team this fall.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
NYRSchrute217

RB, I'm no cap expert, but assuming contracts like Redden's would no longer be allowed to be buried, you'd think there would definitely be an amnesty clause in the new CBA, right?

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ottawa signed Konopka for 1 year/$700,000 last summer.

Quote:
Murray said he isn’t ready to announce whether forwards Jesse Winchester and Zenon Konopka and defenceman Matt Carkner will be back as UFAs. It’s certain not all will return.

“We haven’t told them yet, but we can’t bring everybody back,” said Murray. “It’s as simple as that. We have to make the call there.”
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/05/...s-set-to-begin

Old
06-07-2012, 06:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
RB, I'm no cap expert, but assuming contracts like Redden's would no longer be allowed to be buried, you'd think there would definitely be an amnesty clause in the new CBA, right?
Custance of ESPN

Quote:
Despite talk that amnesty won't be an option in the new CBA, there are still people around the league who believe teams will have more flexibility to get out of bad long-term deals once a new CBA is agreed upon.

"I believe there will be a mechanism by which we'll be able to fix our problems on our teams, to keep those assets we want and get rid of the assets we don't," an NHL source said. "It would be silly to do it any other way."

There's growing belief that the next CBA will allow teams to eat a portion of a salary during a trade, something that isn't allowed now. Luongo's trade value would be significantly higher if the Canucks were allowed to pay half his salary moving forward. Big-market teams like that option because it gives them the flexibility to get out of bad deals. Small-market teams like it because they can add a player they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford at a discount.

"From the league side, before that was a nonstarter. Now, I think it's going to be integrated," an NHL source said. "It makes sense. It saves money and it serves as an alternative revenue sharing."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...long-contracts

Old
06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I think this concept makes perfect sense and benefits both the large and small market teams. Hopefully they can reach the deal to make it happen.

06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Revenue sharing sounds like a great idea.

Ratify the CBA.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote