HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Rangerfan4life90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Anyone who thinks Nash is a good idea is delusional, imo. There's no way he's gonna come cheap, and frankly, he's just not worth what they would want in return.

People should really enjoy this paradigm of building from within. Perhaps the people clamoring for Nash don't remember the dark days when we loved to trade away the future for underachievers that make an insane amount of money.

Just say NO to Nash.
We would get Nash, but also acquire assets by getting the right value for Gaborik.

Now if Howson and Co. still insist on asking for something ridiculous like they did at the deadline, then I'd just walk away from Nash all together.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Time to look at things a bit more objectively. How does it look to future star UFA's if the Rangers keep signing players to large contracts the a couple years later trading them (Gomez/proposed Gaborik trade), buying them out (Drury), or demoting them to the minors (Redden).
Huh?

It's not like we traded Gaborik 6 months into his contract, or something like that. He's been here 3 years.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Huh?

It's not like we traded Gaborik 6 months into his contract, or something like that. He's been here 3 years.
Yup and the only reason we get rid of them is cuz they were overpaid to begin with and suck ass. Gomez, Drury, Redden are all perfect examples of overpaid horse ****.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Time to look at things a bit more objectively. How does it look to future star UFA's if the Rangers keep signing players to large contracts the a couple years later trading them (Gomez/proposed Gaborik trade), buying them out (Drury), or demoting them to the minors (Redden).
We did it to Mike Gartner(I hated that btw). We then proceeded to win a cup.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Yup and the only reason we get rid of them is cuz they were overpaid to begin with and suck ass. Gomez, Drury, Redden are all perfect examples of overpaid horse ****.
To be fair, that doesn't apply to Gabs. He has lived up to his end of the bargain. But the Rangers have created an identity that does not favor his play style.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:12 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Huh?

When these players sign 5 to 7 year deals I think they intend to play for that team for tge duration of the contract. Especially when they have limited NTC's.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Four big UFA contracts handed all four removed from the roster one way or the other after a max of 3 seasons (If Gaborik is dealt), overpaid or not. It looks like crap and could hinder future UFA signings.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
ltrangerfan

Just listened to Torts / Michael Kay interview. If I understood, Torts basically said the the kids won't be traded since the Rangers don't appear ready to win.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Just listened to Torts / Michael Kay interview. If I understood, Torts basically said the the kids won't be traded since the Rangers don't appear ready to win.
They don't appear ready to win? What exactly is Torts saying here.

05-30-2012, 07:34 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Parise is quickly becoming very, very overrated on here.

I like him and would take him for the right price but he cannot create on his own or dominate a game.

05-30-2012, 07:35 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
They don't appear ready to win? What exactly is Torts saying here.
Yeah that doesn't really make too much sense. They were up 2 games to 1 in the ECF. The young players are only going to get better and they have an elite goalie in his prime.

Next few years are going to be the prime year's for this team to win.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Guys, he said we want a guy that can score 60 goals. Obviously, we're trading for Stamkos!

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Yeah that doesn't really make too much sense. They were up 2 games to 1 in the ECF. The young players are only going to get better and they have an elite goalie in his prime.

Next few years are going to be the prime year's for this team to win.
I suspect that, as usual, Torts is in the disinformation business. He has no interest in spilling his plans over the airwaves.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Out of all of those situations trading Gaborik is the least damaging to any potential UFA signings IMHO.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

You know who else is available July 1st? Justin Schultz. Just sayin'.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You know who else is available July 1st? Justin Schultz. Just sayin'.
He'll be a Leaf.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
vstk

So let me get this straight.

Let's trade Gaborik away and acquire Nash and Parise for.. Who and what? That would just be plain stupidity to trade Gaborik away. I know his performance wasn't nearly as good in the POffs as in regular season but he still scored over 40 goals in the regular season. Trading Gaborik and acquiring Nash does not remove that problem. Or can someone say how well Nash performs in the POffs. Anyone? Exactly.

Forget about Nash. The price (and risk) is way too high for what we would be getting. I'm all for Parise, IF the price is right. Otherwise, we are good as is with some minor trades before the next season.

vstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
mrhockey193195

I love how people conveniently forget that Gaborik absolutely dominated the first half of the regular season, and was one of the main reasons that we won the conference and weren't a 7 or 8 seed (where we may not have won a round, depending on circumstances).

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:53 PM
94rangers

Please stop with all the insane Parise talk, not a chance he signs with the Rangers NO Chance! Personally, I don't want any player from the HATED New Jersey Devils! Please exhibit some sense of self respect.

94rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:57 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I love how people conveniently forget that Gaborik absolutely dominated the first half of the regular season, and was one of the main reasons that we won the conference and weren't a 7 or 8 seed (where we may not have won a round, depending on circumstances).
Thats all i keep hearing. Gabby needs to show up in the playoffs too not just the regular season so he doesnt get a pass. Richards played great teh first two series then he was a ghost in the devils series.

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:03 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I truly believe going after Parise would be a big mistake.

I think he is an incredible player, but as I've said before if we're paying someone 7+ mill per year they need to not only be a goal scorer but also a player that can make his line mates better through his playmaking abilities and can carry the load by himself if need be.

Parise is a better Ryan Callahan, and while it's nice to have a team full of Callahans you need some game breakers and I don't think Parise is that.

Just my humble opinion.

05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
To NYR: Nash
To CLB: Dubinsky, Raymond, Luongo, 2012 NYR 1st
To Van: Gaborik

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I truly believe going after Parise would be a big mistake.

I think he is an incredible player, but as I've said before if we're paying someone 7+ mill per year they need to not only be a goal scorer but also a player that can make his line mates better through his playmaking abilities and can carry the load by himself if need be.

Parise is a better Ryan Callahan, and while it's nice to have a team full of Callahans you need some game breakers and I don't think Parise is that.

Just my humble opinion.
I agree with you taht Parise is not a must have I think we can still get a good offensive threat elsewhere but for the right price it would makes ense. However we have never had good luck giving big contracts to devils players lol

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Wouldn't touch Parise. Rangers need more of a natural goal scorer.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:17 PM
eco's bones

Gaborik has two years left at 7.5 mil. Nash has 6 at 7.8 mil. I don't really look at Nash as any more proven a player as Gaborik. True--he's played for a crap team but almost no playoff experience and definitely not a point per game player. Don't think Nash necessarily improves us at least at the expense of Gaborik and his longer term contract would tie us up several years into the future if he didn't play to best expectations.

Parise is a reach at this point anyway and people can speculate endlessly on that but it doesn't seem likely he's going to be a Ranger--at least IMHO. Rather add offense without trading away young assets though so trying to get Zach is a better idea than trying to get Nash.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote