HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
NYRKING30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
This might be in another thread, but for a possible Lundqvist replacement, Nashville just traded Anders Lindback, Kyle Wilson, and a 2012 7th round pick to Tampa for 2 second round picks in 2012, a 3rd round choice in 2013, Sebastien Caron.
A Lundqvist replacement? Hank just turned 30 in March and your referring to Lindback as the eventual replacement?...

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:15 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
This might be in another thread, but for a possible Lundqvist replacement, Nashville just traded Anders Lindback, Kyle Wilson, and a 2012 7th round pick to Tampa for 2 second round picks in 2012, a 3rd round choice in 2013, Sebastien Caron.
Possible Lundqvist replacement?

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
A Lundqvist replacement? Hank just turned 30 in March and your referring to Lindback as the eventual replacement?...
Beat me to it.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Ideally, Lundqvist's replacement would be about 14 right now.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
ideally medical science will have reached a new high by the time lundqvist is expected to retire and he'll be playing forever-- with greatly improved function of his glove hand... we can dream, can't we?

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
16 maybe. If you can develop a kid slowly you could draft one now, say they are NHL ready in 4 years then let them back Hank up for a couple more.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
we want the cup 94

Just looking around at rumors seen the BJs are interested in moving the #2 pick .

If say we were able to get the #2 pick for say
Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

Would you .... Dont say he will never do it .. Just think if we were able to would you do the deal ....

Last edited by we want the cup 94: 06-15-2012 at 08:43 PM.
we want the cup 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Three roster players, two of them our #2 and #3 centers. Two top prospects.

For one player and a pick?

Way to much on our part.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 06-15-2012 at 09:02 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want the cup 94 View Post
Just looking around at rumors seen the BJs are interested in moving the #2 pick .

Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

Would you .... Dont say he will never do it .. Just think if we were able to would you do the deal ....
2nd pick will likely be murray and honestly we arent interested in adding more defense not to mention that AA, step, miller, and thomas have bright futures

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:01 PM
sexton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
2nd pick will likely be murray and honestly we arent interested in adding more defense not to mention that AA, step, miller, and thomas have bright futures
Then you take Grigorenko dont you?

sexton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
Then you take Grigorenko dont you?
is grigo really worth all of those players tho?

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:

Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

Omg, no. Sorry but no. This one is too yucky. Why dump Stepan? Kid's very young and will get better... JTM hasn't even played for us yet I'd hate to have him somewhere else if he's good. AA... I'm hoping he will step it up. And Thomas is gonna be really good once he gets meat on his bones. His shot is sexy.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
nsvoyageurs

I meant that some people or someone on here mentioned him (along with some others) as a possible replacement, didn't necessarily agree with that concept in particular, think they'll wait a year or two, unless someone unexpectedly becomes available; even that, that goalie (barring a major injury to Lundqvist, or Lundqvist decides he wants to end his career at home in Sweden sooner than anyone would think he would), will be waiting a long time to get the chance to be the number 1 guy here. I didn't mean an immediate replacement. Should have clarified.

I think they could get his replacement fairly soon (not necessarily this year, but within the next 2-3 years). I think that goaltending depth is an issue, those behind Lundqvist: Biron (older veteran, dependable backup); Chad Johnson (had a couple of stints with the team over the last couple of years, played in 6 total games between 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, is 26 and unlikely to be Lundqvist successor, if King Henrik plays until 36-37, Johnson will be 32-33); Cam Talbot (backup with the Whale, 25 years of age, would be 31-32 when Lundqvist moves on), Scott Stajcer got benched in the OHL playoffs, just turned 21. Maybe he turns into something, but right now, we don't know. I think they may draft a goalie this year, but if Lundqvist stays healthy and plays for as long as most people think, drafting one early doesn't make much sense. Though you can't predict the future, unforeseen circumstances can make you wish you had taken one, especially early.

Who would the Rangers be comfortable with playing the majority of the time if Lundqvist suffered a long term injury; hope that doesn't happen (meaning a season long, or 85 percent of a season?) Biron's days as a number one goalie are done. He played well at times last season, but also had some struggles. My guess is they would trade for someone, I don't think that they think any of their goalies with the Whale would hold up in that circumstance, being a Cup contender, they are the NY Rangers, I doubt they would let their season ride on an unproven (at the NHL level) goalie. They would bring in a veteran goalie, unlikely to be a long term answer.

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:34 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:

Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

If I'm Columbus, I'm not sure I'd do that deal, no one going to Columbus projects as an elite level player, and that's what CBJ would want for Nash and the second overall pick in the draft; the draft picks are low. That trade leaves some roster depth issues on the NYR roster, unless a few guys from the Whale can come up and fill them. If Nash holds to the teams he'd go to the same that he had prior to the trade deadline, the price for him may be less than this because of the limited teams he'd agree to go to. Any team trading for Nash has to consider what the cap might be whenever the new CBA is agreed to, whenever that is. It may be lower than what has been speculated (around 70 million) it would be if the CBA weren't expiring.

If I'm the Rangers, I'm not sure I'd make that deal either.

If they somehow do get the number 2 pick, I'd take Galchenyuk. Had a bad knee injury last season, but came back to play in the playoffs.

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:54 PM
we want the cup 94

we need someone this summer . im not comfy going into next year with this team minus gabby .... not a good look at all

Last edited by we want the cup 94: 06-15-2012 at 11:01 PM.
we want the cup 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:14 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:

Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

Done!
Pick Galchenyuk!
Watch the Habs draft table melt down.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:26 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:

Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

If CBJ takes the deal they could compete with any AHL team for the championship. They would be giving up quality in exchange for players whose ability they could probably pickup in the free agent market pretty easily. A #2 pick in the draft?? Wow. I have no idea who he is but statistically he could prove to be an elite player in the league.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
I am fairly certain his "we don't trade kids" comment doesn't count if their acquiring someone like E. Kane.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I am fairly certain his "we don't trade kids" comment doesn't count if their acquiring someone like E. Kane.
Kane is also a much more complete player than Nash...Nash is big but soft...i mean he got beat up my Malkin imagine if that happened on garden ice

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Is there anything linking the Rangers and Kane? It's certainly interesting...

Pros :
1) Age, he's a 91 so he is what 21 years old?
2) He is on the upward swing regarding production. He popped 14, 19, and 30 goals in his first 3 seasons.
3) He's a hybrid player. A physical player with the skill set of a goal scorer and certainly with the ability to play on one of the top 2 lines.
4) Excellent skater.
5) A very effective forechecker, with the ability to create and finish plays off turnovers.
6) More goal scorer than playmaker.

Cons :
What would it cost to get him here?
While he has certainly proven he is a very good player, some of the offers seem to be a little over the top. He is NOT a PPG player. In fact his numbers are not all that far off from Brando's first three seasons.

Kane
2009/2010 66 games 14 goals / 12 assists/ 26 points
2010/2011 73 games 19 goals / 24 assists/ 43 points
2011/2012 74 games 30 goals / 27 assists/ 57 points

Dubinsky
2007/2008 82 games 14 goals/ 26 assists/ 40 points
2008/2009 82 games 13 goals/ 28 assists/ 41 points
2009/2010 69 games 20 goals/ 24 assists/ 44 points

Not suggesting that Brando for Kane straight up will get this done. But...I am saying buyer beware. This player while getting top minutes on a top line is NOT a PPG player in the NHL. The big question mark is...will he ever be a PPG player? Some of the trade offers seem to suggest that he is elite. Is Evander Kane elite? Not so sure just yet. Skill set suggests he has the tools. Numbers suggest otherwise. That's the big risk factor. Rangers have assets to get something like this done. But...what is expendable assets to make it happen? I never like to include Hagelin on any trade rumors, however this time i guess it could be considered. Maybe something around Hagelin and MDZ, or Dubi and Hagelin? Maybe take a little salary back from Peg? Rights to Tanner Glass who is up for free agency? ...But, once again buyer beware. Haggy had a better rook season than both of the other two players. He is faster than both, and more defensively responsible than both players.

Which leads me to this. All of the recent trade proposals seem to evolve around the Rangers adding a goal scorer. Team doesn't score alot of goals. But...is that more a product of the system than the players?

Back to Haggy real quick. Rookie season, 14 goals in 64 games. Best plus/minus on the club. Arguably the fastest player in the game today. So...through natural progression is it safe to say that in his sophmore year he will pot 18-20 goals? I think that is a safe assesment right? With that said, and considering the intangibles, are the Rangers better off letting this current core of players continue to progress rather than fill the voids with a player elsewhere?

Onto Kreider...playoff production put this kid on pace for what, a 20 something goal rookie season? Incredibly tough to judge just what the Rangers have here yet. He was thrown into the fire straight out of college. Granted the response was about as good as you are going to get. But...leads me to this.

Rangers seem to be involved in a tremendous amount of trade rumors revolving available players. Somehow, these guys all seem to be LW's. Rick Nash, Evander Kane, Ryane Clowe, Bobby Ryan (plays both LW/RW). Point I am making is...Do the Rangers even need a LW? Do the Rangers even need a RW? Got a 40 goal scorer on that RW, and a a 25-30 goal guy and the Captain right behind him on the depth chart. The attack on paper is very balanced. Is it better to add another 40 goal guy, or is it better to have 4 20 goal guys balancing the attack?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Barnaby

Quote:

Dubi
Stepan
Jt Miller
AA
Thomas
1st + 3rd

for Nash + 1st

Every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I'd miss Stepan and Miller could be a nice 2nd or 3rd line forward.

Dubinskys production doesn't equal his cap hit even though I really like the guy. Anisimov is solid, but replaceable. Thomas doesn't do it for me.

The picks are gambles.

You would have a trade that nets you the two best players in the deal. Nash and a high end forward who would have high top line potential.

NO WAY does CBJ do this deal. They wouldn't move Nash without Kreider, but now they'll ALSO give us the 2nd pick and forget about him? Also, CBJ most likely gets more by splitting up its assets into 2 deals.

This trade would never occurr...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:28 AM
ltrangerfan

It just dawned on me.....

Henrik Lundqvist isn't a kid anymore

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote