HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
05-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Tundra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I would think the Sather brass would be interested in looking into discussions with the following FA players to NYR:

Zach Parise - small chance IMO, Rangers cannot swallow another big long term deal without getting rid of one. Winds up in Detroit, Minnesota or stays put.
Shane Doan - probably stays in desert
Ray Whitney - would be great addition on short deal - but not very likely
Ryan Smyth - one year at around 3 M as backup plan to add depth scoring - why not?
Teemu Selšnne - pipedream
Brad Boyes - possibly a 3rd option...Big chance
Dustin Penner - nope, Torts would take away his IHOP vouchers
Alexander Semin - hope not, but might happen on a one year deal
PAP - ship has most likely sailed, some bad blood there I believe
Jaromir Jagr - I would hope so aS a great stopgap 3rd line RW alternative - but methinks Sather not interested
David Jones - not really that interested as I believe he might be Chris Higgins 2 and will cost excessive $$$ as FA
Michael Samuelsson - veteran with offensive upside, injury problems say NO
Kristian Huselius - see Michael Samuelsson

Ryan Suter - pipe dream (unless Girardi or Staal + is traded for Bobby Ryan... Then maybe yes). Probably headed to DRW
Jason Garrisson - great shot but their will be suitors driving up $$$, too expensive IMO
Corey Sarich - maybe on a short contract
Hal Gill - see Corey Sarich

Slim pickings to fill NYR needs and stay within cap for reasonable time.

But I could see three possible pickups for The Rangers in FA - if the stars are in alignment:
  • One of Whitney/Smyth/Jagr - short term
  • One of Gaustad/Kelly/Moen/konopka/tootoo ( maybe add One of the last three names esp. if Prust costs too much & walks)
  • One of Sarich/Gil - short term

Elaborate please
I'd seriously take a look at Boyes and throw him on Richards wing. He shouldn't cost more than $3.5 per. He was buried in Buffalo by Ruff and he's still only 30 years old. The Rangers could theoretically offer him PP and top six ice time. I think he could recapture some of his past effectiveness playing with Richards.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:37 AM
OverTheCap

I think Suter ends up in Detroit, especially with Lidstrom retiring, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers had some interest in him. Torts emphasized the fact that the Rangers spend far too much time in their own end zone against the Devils, and Suter would surely help the Rangers in clearing and moving the puck down the ice.

What will probably happen is that the Rangers will look to stabilize the 3rd pairing, whether it be Schultz or a veteran type, instead of acquiring Suter.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I just can't see Staal, Suter, and McDonagh co-existing. McDonagh was playing 27 minutes a night in the playoffs. No way is he going to be bumped to the third pairing. I don't think there's any reason to invest that kind of money in another defensemen, when what our blue line really needs is a competent player added to the bottom pairing.

If this team signs Suter, I think one of Staal or Del Zotto is on his way out.
Considering this years Free Agent options, I would feel FAR more comfortable going that route than signing Parise or Jones and overpaying for one of them.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Considering this years Free Agent options, I would feel FAR more comfortable going that route than signing Parise or Jones and overpaying for one of them.
Fair enough. I can understand that point of view.

I think it's best to stay out of the "top tier" UFA market all together.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Do you know who Rick Nash is? I'm beginning to think you haven't watched more than a handful of Blue Jackets games in your entire life. He's a lazy player. Half ass effort, game after game. Forgets to take the body. Takes his sweet ass time back-checking. Out of shape.

If you think Nash is on a different level of 'stardom' than Gaborik, or assume he doesn't take nights off, then you should have just avoided this discussion all together because all it's proving is you don't know jack squat about anything regarding the kind of player Nash is.

Gaborik produces more. Gaborik earns less. We don't have to give up a plethora of assets for Gaborik, either. And moving Gaborik to target Nash might be the dumbest thing anyone could possibly suggest, or approve of.

I've seen enough of Nash to know when he's played on the international level he isn't this player mentioned here.

Do you think Torts would let any of the lazy back check out of shape **** happen?

Gaborik produces more on a better team.

Gaborik makes slightly less. The term is longer. However Nash is 27 he isn't 31. I don't get how dumb this idea is. Nash is stronger,appears to fit this system better, would make a more direct route for the puck on the offensive side to go to the net to score garbage goals,something this team lacks.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:56 AM
frankthefrowner

Rick Nash is human, playing for such an awful franchise probably sucks the life out of you. I think he would come here, in this locker room and become the player he once was. But its a tremendously expensive gamble in both assests and cap space. If he comes here and continues to suck, then we are stuck with that contract because No one will touch it at that point.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:56 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Did I miss the games against the Devils where Richards and Callahan were scoring hat tricks??? I would say that other than Kreider I was disappointed with the entire forward group's lack of scoring in the PO's and especially against the Devils. The top players didn't score like top players and the supporting cast really didn't offer much support. I guess there always has to be a whipping boy and it's Gabby's turn.
He isn't a whipping boy to me,I understand the Ranger aren't in the position they were put in this year with out Gabby's regular season.

just appears that maybe the upgrade we are all thinking of may come off of a trade from Gaborik and not Dubinsky.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
frankthefrowner

There isnt a middle ground here... Rick Nash either puts us over the top or we take 5 steps back.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:59 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
We seem focused on exchanging elite scoring for elite scoring, big contract for big contract.

The focus should be on getting some secondary scoring on the wings.

Rather than getting on $7-million winger, ideally we're searching for two $3.5 million wingers.
The secondary scoring could come in the boy named Kreider.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I'd seriously take a look at Boyes and throw him on Richards wing. He shouldn't cost more than $3.5 per. He was buried in Buffalo by Ruff and he's still only 30 years old. The Rangers could theoretically offer him PP and top six ice time. I think he could recapture some of his past effectiveness playing with Richards.
If Boyes gets over $1M on a one year deal from any team, I'll be dumbfounded.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I have a serious question for everyone:

Would anyone really be upset of the Rangers directed their efforts to bringing in Suter over any big-name offensive player this off-season?

Suter-Girardi
Staal-MDZ
McDonagh-Erixon/Schultz

I feel FAR more comfortable giving Suter a long-term deal over Parise or trading the required assets to bring in a 8 million dollar cap hit in Nash.

6.5 million for 10 years for Suter?

No. If the Rangers went in this direction I would not be upset at all.

As long as there is a trade in the works to improve the offnse that follows it up.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
The drama that would ensue from a long term Semin signing both on the Rangers and on this board would be incredible.

That said, no one seems to have pointed out so far that Semin is actually a kind of player that fits the mold of what this team needs. That said the risk is far too high.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The drama that would ensue from a long term Semin signing both on the Rangers and on this board would be incredible.

That said, no one seems to have pointed out so far that Semin is actually a kind of player that fits the mold of what this team needs. That said the risk is far too high.
A true whipping boy?

Old
05-31-2012, 10:32 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

As I said before, I'd be 100% comfortable with signing Semin for 7mm if our options our absolutely exhausted and its only for one year.

Worst case scenerio: Beginning of February its clear he doesn't fit and Torts hates his guts. We trade him to some team who is desperate to make the playoffs at 1/3 his salary for a 2nd rounder.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:34 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
As I said before, I'd be 100% comfortable with signing Semin for 7mm if our options our absolutely exhausted and its only for one year.

Worst case scenerio: Beginning of February its clear he doesn't fit and Torts hates his guts. We trade him to some team who is desperate to make the playoffs at 1/3 his salary for a 2nd rounder.
you are insane if you'd give semin $7 mil/year...he is way to one-dimensional to be worth that kind of cap hit

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
you are insane if you'd give semin $7 mil/year...he is way to one-dimensional to be worth that kind of cap hit
The only way you get players to sign for one year is for a premium. He'd get a long term deal for about 5 million most likely.

The Rangers have the money to overpay someone. The only implications are cap implications, and if you sign someone for a year there are none. Its not the optimal scenario but realistically what is the downside.

If we get to August 1st, Semin is still a Free Agent, the asking price for Nash is way too high and all the good UFAs are gone and we need to add some scoring, what is the downside to adding Semin for one year if he agrees to it.

If you tell me what the downside is, I'll completely retract this idea.
Frankly, I don't see one. Let's say its obvious from day one he is a cancer in the lockerroom (which really isn't proven - he is just notoriously soft), he could easily be sent to the whale where he certainly wouldn't report and just go to Russia.

I would not sign him for more than one year but if it takes an extra million or two and doesn't get in the way of our RFAs...I have no problem with it. The funds are coming from the bottomless pit known as Cablevision.

And you know what - some of these Russians get a bad wrap...look at Kovalchuk's turn around. Maybe there is an off chance that he actually adds to our team (as small as it is).

Old
05-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
he's not one dimensional, he's inconsistent in his effort. When he wants to be, he's quite good defensively and a monster offensively. Problem is...that's only when he wants to be

e: Pretty sure Semin also came out and said that he doesn't want to sign another one year contract, and despite what I just said up there, he doesn't want to play for a team where he spends all his time playing defense (he wasn't happy playing under Hunter)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:45 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

[QUOTE=GaBorat;50351753]As I said before, I'd be 100% comfortable with signing Semin for 7mm if our options our absolutely exhausted and its only for one year.

Worst case scenerio: Beginning of February its clear he doesn't fit and Torts hates his guts. We trade him to some team who is desperate to make the playoffs at 1/3 his salary for a 2nd rounder.[/QUOTE]

Bad asset management.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:47 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
he's not one dimensional, he's inconsistent in his effort. When he wants to be, he's quite good defensively and a monster offensively. Problem is...that's only when he wants to be

e: Pretty sure Semin also came out and said that he doesn't want to sign another one year contract, and despite what I just said up there, he doesn't want to play for a team where he spends all his time playing defense (he wasn't happy playing under Hunter)
He could very well refuse the one year offer. If he was willing to however, I see very little downside risk.

He's definitely be an asset on the PP. He has the best wrist shot in the league.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

[QUOTE=TKG;50352165]
Quote:

Worst case scenerio: Beginning of February its clear he doesn't fit and Torts hates his guts. We trade him to some team who is desperate to make the playoffs at 1/3 his salary for a 2nd rounder.[/QUOTE]

Bad asset management.
What I meant what fair market value...what ever that may be.
You obviously seek out the best offer.

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ryan Suter will get more than 10 years/$65M.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If Boyes gets over $1M on a one year deal from any team, I'll be dumbfounded.
I think he'll get more than that. His PP production was still very good, and he's a career 45.3% in the shootout. His ES production is pathetic, but he still has use.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

[QUOTE=GaBorat;50351989]The only way you get players to sign for one year is for a premium. He'd get a long term deal for about 5 million most likely.

The Rangers have the money to overpay someone. The only implications are cap implications, and if you sign someone for a year there are none. Its not the optimal scenario but realistically what is the downside.

If we get to August 1st, Semin is still a Free Agent, the asking price for Nash is way too high and all the good UFAs are gone and we need to add some scoring, what is the downside to adding Semin for one year if he agrees to it.

If you tell me what the downside is, I'll completely retract this idea.Frankly, I don't see one. Let's say its obvious from day one he is a cancer in the lockerroom (which really isn't proven - he is just notoriously soft), he could easily be sent to the whale where he certainly wouldn't report and just go to Russia.
I would not sign him for more than one year but if it takes an extra million or two and doesn't get in the way of our RFAs...I have no problem with it. The funds are coming from the bottomless pit known as Cablevision.

And you know what - some of these Russians get a bad wrap...look at Kovalchuk's turn around. Maybe there is an off chance that he actually adds to our team (as small as it is).[/QUOTE]

Isn't there two downsides here 7M to play for the whale?

Bringing in a locker room cancer?

Can you retract your idea now?

On the last your not convinced about it either. (As small as it is)

Old
05-31-2012, 10:53 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

[QUOTE=TKG;50352299]
Quote:
The only way you get players to sign for one year is for a premium. He'd get a long term deal for about 5 million most likely.

If you tell me what the downside is, I'll completely retract this idea.Frankly, I don't see one. Let's say its obvious from day one he is a cancer in the lockerroom (which really isn't proven - he is just notoriously soft), he could easily be sent to the whale where he certainly wouldn't report and just go to Russia.

And you know what - some of these Russians get a bad wrap...look at Kovalchuk's turn around. Maybe there is an off chance that he actually adds to our team (as small as it is).[/QUOTE]

Isn't there two downsides here 7M to play for the whale?

Bringing in a locker room cancer?

Can you retract your idea now?

On the last your not convinced about it either. (As small as it is)
I'm saying IF he is a locker room cancer and that's a big IF.
I mean if he is really that awful, you just healthy scratch him and keep him away from the team.

I doubt that will happen though. He is good enough that he is trade-able. Its a one year contract.

I completely understand not investing money in him for more than an year and making sure he is not the first choice:
but frankly if:
A) all options are exhausted
B) its a one year deal

there is very little risk...

He is good enough that he is trade-able.
The one year deal makes him a liquid asset, even if it is a bit expensive.

You just don't give him any sort of NM or NTC...

What I meant by "as small as it is" is that he buys into the system. Realistically, if we signed him, I'd see him coming in for one year, adding a bit to the powerplay, and making us a bit more dangerous 5 on 5. He'd probably be gone the next year...Maybe there is a small chance that he becomes a revelation, and you sign him long term next year.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ryan Suter will get more than 10 years/$65M.
What if a team front loads the **** out of it? I'd be fine with signing Suter, and if it came down to trading Staal or MDZ I'd Keep Staal, and hope Erixon can be the offensive d-man.

Suter-Girardi
McDonagh-try Staal on the right side?
Erixon-whomever

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote