HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Player Usage Charts

Old
06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
Player Usage Charts

some interesting comments about jack capuano in here:

http://e9b8db0d-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.g...attredirects=0

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:11 PM
1 Timer

Great find, As a youth couch I tend to just role lines but I do track plus minus and broke up pairings and lines do to poor performance. This is really good data.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

This is great!

It objectively quantifies how much we suck.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
islandermaniac

Perhaps the most telling quote regarding capuano's coaching:

"Capuano's use of Reasoner made no sense. The overall numbers you see here don't reflect the fact that he was mostly used in the offensive zone for the majority of the season. I guess he finally woke up to the fact that Reasoner isn't the lost Sedin brother in the second half of the season. These types of poor decisions made the Islanders lackluster bottom two thirds of the roster that much more poorly utilized."

Old
06-03-2012, 07:27 PM
islandermaniac

i can't help but find this information absolutely fascinating...it really appears as though there are very few players like franz nielsen in the entire league.

the nhl's toughest minutes are determined by which players you are on the ice against AND which zone you start in while lining up across from them. facing the other team's most dangerous players regularly in the defensive zone will mean more shots against than for, but not nielsen. as a matter of fact, he had quite a substantial shot ADVANTAGE! that is a SERIOUS accomplishment, as far as i'm concerned. most islander fans have been impressed with the guy for some time, but seeing the information presented like this is quite interesting.

there are really very few other nhlers who have impressive numbers in this regard. those who qualify are david backes, jordan staal, marcel goc, and brandon dubinsky. that's really about it!

be happy isles fans (at least about one thing)...there are VERY few players who can do what these players did and the nyi have one of them. knowing these stats will make me chuckle even more now when i see some fan on the trade proposal board want nielsen in a deal without a significant piece coming back (hearing oilers fans saying gagner is an upgrade over nielsen hahahahahaha!)

cheers, franz! now just make sure you do it again this year!

Old
06-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Perhaps the most telling quote regarding capuano's coaching:

"Capuano's use of Reasoner made no sense. The overall numbers you see here don't reflect the fact that he was mostly used in the offensive zone for the majority of the season. I guess he finally woke up to the fact that Reasoner isn't the lost Sedin brother in the second half of the season. These types of poor decisions made the Islanders lackluster bottom two thirds of the roster that much more poorly utilized."
This quote made no sense. Reasoner was used in the offensive zone for the majority of the season and yet the chart clearly shows he is among the most used in the defensive zone. Can someone explain what Seppa was trying to say.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
TexMurphyPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
This quote made no sense. Reasoner was used in the offensive zone for the majority of the season and yet the chart clearly shows he is among the most used in the defensive zone. Can someone explain what Seppa was trying to say.
I believe the quote is saying while on the season as a whole he was used more in the D zone, but in the first half of the season Capuano used Reasoner more often in the O zone, then in the 2nd half of the season much more in the D zone for an over all of 44% D zone.

So I would guess 1st half was about 54% O zone which would mean 2nd half of the season would have been about only 34% in O zone for an overall of 43% on the season.

TexMurphyPI is offline   Reply With Quote