HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Prudential Center Ice is Unacceptable

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Tundra

vCash: 500
The Prudential Center Ice is Unacceptable

A pretty damning indictment and not a shock to those who have been following this lingering issue. The building is supposedly state of the art and less than 5 years old. Explain to me why the ice is so poor? Is it the refrigeration system???? Too many events booked???? I hate to see the devils game suffer from this substandard ice. This is the Stanley Cup. If you have to rent portable cooling units, you do so. What if a some point on saturday Parise and Zajac come down on a key 2 on 1 only to be thwarted by the ice???? Then what??

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...uite-honestly/

Last edited by Tundra: 05-31-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

there are a ton of events, combine that with the disgusting humidity the past few days and you get crappy ice.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The ice was **** in Florida and at MSG, too.
The ice will be equally ****** in Staples Center.

It happens in busy arenas at warm times of the year. The Rock is no exception.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Cowbell232

I just think the volume of people coming in/out of the arena and the unusually hot/humid weather took a toll on the playing surface. I'm not sure there's many rinks out there that could have handled the load much different...

We'll see what happens Saturday, right?

And it's not like the ice was any different for either team.

05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Baggy Spandex
The Nightman Cometh

It's Hockey vs. Science in this one unfortunately. If you don't think they're doing everything within their powers to make sure the ice is satisfactory, I don't know what to tell you.

I play in a rink in Poughkeepsie, NY. They have great ice during the summer, albeit it gets warm sometimes. But, that place holds a few hundred people, usually empty, and has 1 entrance. It is what it is. I'll guarantee that the Staples Center is equally as poor.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I just think the volume of people coming in/out of the arena and the unusually hot/humid weather took a toll on the playing surface. I'm not sure there's many rinks out there that could have handled the load much different...

We'll see what happens Saturday, right?

And it's not like the ice was any different for either team.
What's so frustrating is that it's the Stanley Cup. Dollars shouldn't be an issue in terms of providing a top notch playing surface. This the showcase for the sport on national television. You bring in portable cooling units and dehumidifiers if necessary. Strategically shut down wide points of egress during warm points of the day within 24 hours of the game. If this was the NFL, this wouldn't be happening.

Secondly, given our skilled players, we are at more disadvantage with the poor ice. Zidlicky, Elias and other high skilled players can't feel completely comfortable out there.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Summer hockey. This is going to happen.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:20 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
If this was the NFL, this wouldn't be happening.
Have you seen some of the fields Chicago, Green Bay and most notably Pittsburgh have had around playoff time?

Old
05-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

The Kings dealt with the same playing surface. Stop making excuses. Bottom line is it's 80 degrees with humidity in late May on top of its busy schedule with large crowds. What do you expect? This isn't Canada. You think it's bad now wait till next week at Staples.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Z-Z Pop1915
LGD!

back to back Radiohead shows before Saturday wont help.
Staples Center ice is going to blow as well im guessing.

Old
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Have you seen some of the fields Chicago, Green Bay and most notably Pittsburgh have had around playoff time?
You've heard of George Toma, I take it?

Old
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Summer hockey. This is going to happen.
Pretty much. It's been over 80 where I am and I'm 3 hours away so it can't be much better over there. Add in concerts and stuff + thousands of people in the building and I dunno why people are shocked that the ice isn't like Edmonton

Old
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
What's so frustrating is that it's the Stanley Cup. Dollars shouldn't be an issue in terms of providing a top notch playing surface. This the showcase for the sport on national television. You bring in portable cooling units if necessary. Strategically shut down wide points of egress during warm points of the day within 24 hours of the game. If this was the NFL, this wouldn't be happening.

Secondly, given our skilled players, we are at more disadvantage with the poor ice. Zidlicky, Elias and other high skilled players can't feel completely comfortable out there.
What does dollars have to do with the playing surface?

You can't throw money at science. You can't shut down egress points without upsetting fire marshals and annoying fans. And where do you put these portable cooling units? The arena is freaking huge, but there's no where to feasibly do this.

And forget apples to oranges, comparing the playing surface in the NFL and NHL is comparing an apple to an orangutang. Doesn't make sense.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
You've heard of George Toma, I take it?
No, I had to google him. What's your point? The northern grass teams have ****** fields in the NFL come December, especially the Steelers since they host 4 state championship games in November as well as University of Pittsburgh games happening. ****** fields happen in the NFL so don't act like the NFL can somehow magically fix the ice if it had the power. Somethings are just uncontrollable.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Devils lose, must be the ice!

Old
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

vCash: 98
at least we're finding new things to gripe about

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan
Old
05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
at least we're finding new things to gripe about
It's the small graces.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:30 AM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

vCash: 1120
They should just make cold beer free. The influx of cold beer will cool down the crowd, and therefore lower the arena temperature and improve the ice.

Do it Lou!

Old
05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
If this was the NFL, this wouldn't be happening.
In the NFL, they don't play on ice. Little-known fact.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Yeah, the ice is bad. Not much you can do -- it's almost June for heaven's sake. But can they PLEASE fix that kink in the boards in the end the Devils defend twice?? I must have seen 5 pucks hit that and kick out to the middle.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Tundra

Quote:
What does dollars have to do with the playing surface?

You can't throw money at science. You can't shut down egress points without upsetting fire marshals and annoying fans. And where do you put these portable cooling units? The arena is freaking huge, but there's no where to feasibly do this.

And forget apples to oranges, comparing the playing surface in the NFL and NHL is comparing an apple to an orangutang. Doesn't make sense.
You can arrange the units along the exterior and snake in 4x4 framed tubing at various points in the arena, preferably in the lower portions. Bring in portable dehumidifiers. No one is talking about creating ideal ice conditions but there should be push to make the ice at the very least satisfactory. This is the Stanley Cup not some Summer Mens League if you haven't paid attention. I'd exhaust every possible option if I was the Commisioner to make sure the playing surface was the best they could manage in such a high profile medium.

Last edited by Tundra: 05-31-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old
05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Devils Dominion
7% chance miracle

The doors next to the steps near 107 bring in hot air, I noticed it last night.
But with that said, the humid air and high temps make it tough to have great ice.

Temps have cooled and humidity dropped overnight, the ice should be better Saturday night.

**My only gripe is giving Baumann the mic, take it away from him and let him do the chants like he's traditionally done.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
You can arrange the units along the exterior and snake in 4x4 framed tubing at various points in the arena, preferably in the lower portions. Bring in portable dehumidifiers. No one is talking about creating ideal ice conditions but there should be push to make the ice at the very least satisfactory. This is the Stanley Cup not some Summer Mens League if you haven't paid attention. I'd exhaust every possible option if I was the Commisioner to make sure the playing surface was the best they could manage in such a high profile medium.
The exterior of what? And what "various points in the arena" would be in a manner that would affect the ice conditions enough to actually matter?

This equipment would be so large that it would be incredibly obtrusive to fans. Plain and simple.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:43 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
The exterior of what? And what "various points in the arena" would be in a manner that would affect the ice conditions enough to actually matter?

This equipment would be so large that it would be incredibly obtrusive to fans. Plain and simple.
And expensive to the Rock. It's not like they 100 dehumidifiers sitting around in storage. Which means they have to go rent dehumidifiers.

That's a great justification to raise ticket prices, as if going to the Cup Finals isn't enough justification on it's own.

This thread is pretty funny. Many fans have noted how horrible the Penguins ice is year round, for many years now. That didn't stop them from winning the Cup a few years ago.

On top of that, the Kings played on the same ice. So they had just as bad of a time as the Devils. If the Devils managed to win last night, this thread is never created.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
In the NFL, they don't play on ice. Little-known fact.
ha ha, best post ever by a NYR fan?

Closed Thread