King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
To be honest this is a great hire. He's a very up-tempo, 2-3 man forechecking, with a lot of back-checking and physical play.

The problem with Hartley is that he screams at players, and it might give results initially, but it can wear thin over time. Realizing that the window for competing for the Flames is growing shorter, Hartley will have just the right "expiry date" for this club.
Some players on the club may need that kind of fire lit under them to get them going. But I agree, might not be so effective over time, especially on younger guys.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
As I said in the other thread, I'm not opposed Hartley being hired because given his track record, you know he'll get a lot out of Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, likely Baertschi and maybe even Backlund offensively.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Flames hire coach and prepare for heavy lifting in days ahead. Iginla trade rumours will heat up. Bouwmeester on the block?
Don't know why the Iginla rumors would heat up now. And Bouwmeester shouldn't be on the block either.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Interesting note- hartley is coming over after coaching a switz team… beartchi is a switz player… interesting ; )

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I was meh when Playfair was hired, I was okay with Keenan being hired, I hated Brent Sutter was hired. I love the Hartley hiring, the more I read about him and the more things I look up, the better it looks.

He has had huge success through his entire coaching career, he is also excellent with young players and veterans alike. He is a guy that seems like he plays players in a role they can be successful in irregardless of age.

and he isn't going to be afraid to send Jackman (or another tough guy) out there to teach someone a lesson if they do something to one of our skill players.
Yeah, I've gone from "Do not want" to "Might be okay" based on what I've heard. I'll take a wait and see approach though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Interesting note- hartley is coming over after coaching a switz team… beartchi is a switz player… interesting ; )
Interesting? The two are completely unrelated.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
No its not. This hire had nothing to do with Baertschi and if it did Feaster should be fired on the spot. You dont hire a coach with the thoughts of a player whose played 5 NHL games and is not a lock to even make the roster next season in mind.

Baertschi is a GREAT prospect but people are gonna be severely disappointed when this guy only turns out to be anything less than an 80 point franchise corner stone.

Relax people, Baertschi is a great payer and will do good things for the flames in the future, but dont heap the future of the entire franchise on this kid.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
....What's interesting about this.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

IF bouwmeester is really on the block would you guys take

Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard for him?

Horrible for Horrible? haahhahahaa

Solid hire, but I believe hiring Hartley is a signal for a rebuild. Start fresh with a young foundation which he is good with.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
No its not. This hire had nothing to do with Baertschi and if it did Feaster should be fired on the spot. You dont hire a coach with the thoughts of a player whose played 5 NHL games and is not a lock to even make the roster next season in mind.

Baertschi is a GREAT prospect but people are gonna be severely disappointed when this guy only turns out to be anything less than an 80 point franchise corner stone.

Relax people, Baertschi is a great payer and will do good things for the flames in the future, but dont heap the future of the entire franchise on this kid.
Not to mention that Hartley isn't Swiss and that Baertschi hasn't played in Switzerland for more than 2 years.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I'm happy with this, but that can soon change. I haven't been happy with coaching since Keenan.

I always looked at Sutter as a family hire and not a Flames hire. Hartley has connections here, so hopefully he doesn't get too comfortable. But if we make the playoffs, we'll finally settle the Core vs. Coaching debate IMO.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
flameaholic

Ringing endorsement from Jeff Tambellini, who played for ZSC under Hartley last season.

Quote:
“I’ve never had a coach who has wanted to win so bad,” said Tambellini, who’s back in Vancouver for a few months before heading back to Europe in early August.

“He’ll do anything to win. That’s where you hear about how he pushes guys and makes them uncomfortable, but he just wants to win so bad that he’ll push as many buttons as it takes. It’s hard but I can respect that. You know where you stand with him. He has a relationship with each of his players and he cares about each person. He works with the young guys, but he also challenges them to be better.”
Read more: http://www.canada.com/business/Hartl...268/story.html

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post

I think you might have made something from nothing right there. There's no reason to suspect such things are going on yet.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
I'm not a fan of the ZSC Lions (more like the opposite), but i live in the area: What that guy did in one year (pretty good team, but with lots of internal troubles and a goaltender problem) was just absolutely amazing. he lit the fire under certain mighty and well payed player's butts, did a great job with the youth, coached a young shaky goalie into an actually solid one and won the title (beating the regular season winner and last years champion in the process).

I dont know too much about the Flames, but as far as i can compare your situation to the ZSC, this doesnt seem to be a bad move. Will miss his emotions on the bench
Yea the guy can motivate a cat into not only liking being in water but being an amphibian and the cat will believe it.

Good hire.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
....What's interesting about this.
its interesting he didn't start a new thread about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post

Solid hire, but I believe hiring Hartley is a signal for a rebuild. Start fresh with a young foundation which he is good with.
**** no to that proposal. Bouwmeester is overpaid, not horrible. He has been the anchor to our defense since being acquired and is the only defenseman we have that can effectively play against oppositions top players or play big minutes without having his game decline as a result.

Hartley is a good coach because he is good with young players, but he has also gotten good production out of veteran players too. The team will continue rebuilding while trying to remain competitive

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Don't know why the Iginla rumors would heat up now. And Bouwmeester shouldn't be on the block either.
Exactly. If Sutter left because he wanted a drastic roster change why would Hartley get it?

Old
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

Get real. I hate JBo and even I wouldn't do that. NSH fans offering Klein and Colin Wilson. Ottawa fans offering Prince and a 1st.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:01 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Little Black
@LittleBlack87

Congrats to Bob and the Flames for a good hire. Hartley won almost everywhere he coached. As Kimota said, this guy can motivate you with a sundae story. I hope he'll bring his friend and Shawinigan Cataractes coach Éric Veilleux with him as an assistant coach.

Little Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Hartley seems more of a "win now" choice than a choice you would make if you were looking to rebuild. So, I'm guessing Iggy/Kipper are staying, not that I thought they were going anywhere anyway.
Actually he is quite the opposite. He is a youth/younger star development coach. Doesn't get along too well with stars/vets.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
As I said in the other thread, I'm not opposed Hartley being hired because given his track record, you know he'll get a lot out of Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, likely Baertschi and maybe even Backlund offensively.

Because he is known for getting through to younger players and really getting the most out of them (Baertschi will have a great couple years) but older veterans have been known to butt heads with him (only coach I have ever heard that butted heads with Sakic).

Great signing for a young and developing team.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:

**** no to that proposal. Bouwmeester is overpaid, not horrible. He has been the anchor to our defense since being acquired and is the only defenseman we have that can effectively play against oppositions top players or play big minutes without having his game decline as a result.

Hartley is a good coach because he is good with young players, but he has also gotten good production out of veteran players too. The team will continue rebuilding while trying to remain competitive
I personally believe Bouwmeester needs to retool his game in a lot of ways, or he needs a partner who he can rely on. Sometimes he just seems so lost out there...

Regardless I think Hartley could utilize a player like Raymond. AV has his too much as a pet. I think that's where his pressure is coming from heck look what he did with Tambellini...if Hartley could get that with Tambi who is a very similar player like Raymond, you guys a very good two-way player at a bargain bin discount.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Well played, good sir. Well played indeed.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black View Post
Congrats to Bob and the Flames for a good hire. Hartley won almost everywhere he coached. As Kimota said, this guy can motivate you with a sundae story. I hope he'll bring his friend and Shawinigan Cataractes coach Éric Veilleux with him as an assistant coach.

I wouldn't be shocked for a second if Veilleux was named an assistant coach to Hartley. He has had good success in his 7 seasons in Shawinigan, combine that with him playing under Hartley as a player for 7 years and the combination of professional familiarity and professional success makes him a good candidate IMO.

also for those who care, TSN.ca will be streaming the press conference

Old
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think you might have made something from nothing right there. There's no reason to suspect such things are going on yet.
I dont believe its a factor at all. Thats why I said it wasn't interesting. If it had been interesting, then we'd have some real problems.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
I personally believe Bouwmeester needs to retool his game in a lot of ways, or he needs a partner who he can rely on. Sometimes he just seems so lost out there...

Regardless I think Hartley could utilize a player like Raymond. AV has his too much as a pet. I think that's where his pressure is coming from heck look what he did with Tambellini...if Hartley could get that with Tambi who is a very similar player like Raymond, you guys a very good two-way player at a bargain bin discount.
we already have a Raymond clone in Comeau though, we don't need another.

Bouwmeester's problems in Calgary are 2 fold.

1st fans don't seem to understand that he is used in primarily a defensive role (and has been very good at it), he wasn't allowed to pinch under Sutter often and he was on the 2nd PP unit, thus his point totals have taken a serious hit. So fans that don't pay attention treat him like he has been horrible.

2nd the Flames didn't play a system conducive to defensemen getting many points. They have pretty much dumped and chased or cycled under Sutter, they did very little off the rush and didn't utilize the point on the PP very much.