Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Hartley confirmed

Old
06-02-2012, 02:22 PM
brewski1810

vCash: 500
We should stay the course were on right now, till the trade deadline at minimum, I think we need to add more depth to our team to help supplement the good players we already have, we need better FO men, and we need top 9 forwards to play more consistent in their roles, our biggest issue to address this offseason should be defense, if players click we have enough scoring to get the job done, our defense core is subpar beyond bouw and gio

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1810 View Post
We should stay the course were on right now, till the trade deadline at minimum, I think we need to add more depth to our team to help supplement the good players we already have, we need better FO men, and we need top 9 forwards to play more consistent in their roles, our biggest issue to address this offseason should be defense, if players click we have enough scoring to get the job done, our defense core is subpar beyond bouw and gio
A top 4 defensemen will be our next target. I don't think secondary scoring will be as much of a problem under Hartley as it was before, but faceoffs, shoot-outs and physicality will likely be of concern.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:23 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I didn't insult anyone. Which of our players was worse defensively than Iginla? I can't think of a single one. We were a below average defensive team. You makes good use of hyperbole. I never said Iginla is the worst player on the ice. I said he's a defensive liability, which he is. Iginla is still pretty physical, wins board battles and for my money is one of the top 3 goal scoring RWers in the game. Hardly "the worst player on the ice." But he is consistently the worst defensive player on the ice. It's why other coaches look to match up top lines against ours now.
You called anyone who didn't agree that Iginla was a liability someone with their head in the sand that was clearly a shot.

Who was worse defensively? Comeau, Jokinen (second half) , Moss just off the top of my head.

You continue to say he is the worst defensive player but have no proof to back it up I think you may have your head stuck somewhere that isn't the sand.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:42 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

vCash: 50
We still need to address our center situation. A top 6 and bottom 6 big center who can face-offs would help this team TREMENDOUSLY!

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

Can anyone translate?

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:20 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post

Can anyone translate?
Oh that's just french for "I think we should be friends because I really respect you as a person. Can I shake your hand?"

I'm not completely fluent, but the conversation is so obvious that this translation should be more or less spot on.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
I love Guy (Carbonneau) getting in the middle of that. I can only imagine it being the way French-Canadians invite each other over for dinner.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:42 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
We still need to address our center situation. A top 6 and bottom 6 big center who can face-offs would help this team TREMENDOUSLY!
Slot Cammy into our number 1 position and resign Moss for our number 2................done!

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Oh that's just french for "I think we should be friends because I really respect you as a person. Can I shake your hand?"

I'm not completely fluent, but the conversation is so obvious that this translation should be more or less spot on.
My french is fluent, and that was a spot on translation.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:06 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Slot Cammy into our number 1 position and resign Moss for our number 2................done!

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Ingenious idea! We should have hired a coach who would have thought of that first.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:48 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
No, no, no we fired Sutter not hired him

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
The Gnome

Looks like Hartley is sticking to what he knows...good news IMO

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633900

Jacques Cloutier will be an assistant.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Jacques Cloutier will be an assistant.
So who is going to be the goalie coach - Malarchuk or Cloutier?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I would hope Malarchuk. Would be a huge mistake to let him go.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
as far as I know, Cloutier was never a goalie coach, he started coaching before it was a specialized position

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:55 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I would hope Malarchuk. Would be a huge mistake to let him go.
yeah, why let him go. Kipper was lights out last year, best player on this team by far. As he usually is...But last year was exceptional, even for Kipper.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Malarchuk's success with goalies has been well documented. He did a great job with Pav's in ATL as well. It would be a big mistake to let him go.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Xelstyle

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That being said, I hope Hartley "fixes" the direction this team is going.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Medium Rare*

a Hartley article from this morning's Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=6742200

I found a couple pieces pretty interesting.

Quote:
“We put in an hour of work,” he said, firmly. “It’s about conditioning. It’s about trying to be one step ahead of the other teams.

“This is a game where you can’t only rely on your talent. There’s so many ways to win hockey games, and unfortunately there’s so many ways to lose hockey games.

“If we are going to lose a game, I want the other team to beat us. I’m not a fan of wasting points. I’m coming to Calgary on a mission.”
Sounds like his drills are designed to help conditioning and speed (I left out the part where they described the drills he uses)

Quote:
Hartsburg would appear to be on his way out the door with the hiring of Jacques Cloutier as associate head coach. In the past, Cloutier has worked with the defencemen. That’s also Hartsburg’s specialty.
really sounds like Hartsburg's days are finished since Cloutier was hired for the exact same role.

Quote:
“The equipment managers medical guys, media relations people — they’re all part of the team,” Hartley said. “They all have a feel for the team. I want to give them the message that I want one team. Everyone is important. If players see that we’re one strong foundation and see we have no division between ourselves, we’re going to be a very solid organization. There won’t be any cliques. There won’t be any misunderstandings.”
Love this, he is really pushing for a family type vibe within the organization.

Quote:
“I spoke to him about my experience with Joe Sakic in Colorado,” Hartley said. “I told him everywhere I coach, my captain is kind of an assistant coach. He is the link between the players and the coaching staff. I rely on that.”
I like this too, its a good thing to do and with people speculating there was a divide between Jarome and Sutter, this could be extremely important and could be something that really helps our team

Quote:
“We’re going to basically have the same core of players, so it’s up to us,” he said. “It’s up to us the players, the coaching staff and the management — to bring in a new attitude.”
and lastly it looks like no major moves coming, does this mean Olli is coming back? since he is part of the core.

Old
06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
saillias

I don't believe that, there's no way they go into the next season with the same core. That's just what Feaster tells him to say.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I don't believe that, there's no way they go into the next season with the same core. That's just what Feaster tells him to say.
Agree. But who goes? The only core guy I can see being moved is Bouwmeester. Simply becuase of his duration with the club, combined with his seeming lack of intensity. Also, Bouw is not the most skilled guy, something Feaster puts emphasis on.

Regardless of core changes we already have a different team then last year.

Full year of Cammy.
Cervenka?
Bartschi?
Likely a full year of Irving as backup.

We have cap space for some FA aquistions and a lot of UFAs who are likely gone.

I've never had a problem with our two long-time core pieces. Iginla and Kipper are not the problem with this team, it is a proper supporting cast, being weak up the middle, and more recently a very soft blueline.

If it was me, I would trade Iginla now. I have no problem with him. I simply feel that he would net us a large enough return to justify moving him and now is the right time. Moving Kipper is PO suicide, at least with him you have a chance at the post.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
wow, so he is just a puppet for Feaster? you need to catch a clue man

Old
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
saillias

The organization mandate is to not reveal its plans. Feaster has stated that GMs he considers mentors don't reveal their plans. For Hartley to come out and say anything else would be a bit bizarre. Do you think it is likely the organization just changed the coach and is going with the same core yet again. I guess if you truly believe the Flames are that insane. I'm not quite that cynical yet.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
The organization mandate is to not reveal its plans. Feaster has stated that GMs he considers mentors don't reveal their plans. For Hartley to come out and say anything else would be a bit bizarre. Do you think it is likely the organization just changed the coach and is going with the same core yet again. I guess if you truly believe the Flames are that insane. I'm not quite that cynical yet.
and yet the 1st reports of Feaster wanting to hire Hartley sprung up what in November? Sure seems like Uncle Feaster kept a tight lid on that.

You should also have noticed the moves we do make now are more known now than they used to be, again shows how things come out with him at the helm.

Feaster has only said there will be changes, and there will be. Just not to the core. They want to remain competitive while rebuilding and there is no UFAs available to bring in replacements.

New coach after 3 years is a big change. Sarich, Hannan, Jokinen, Kostopoulos, Comeau, Stempniak, Babchuk and Karlsson may not be back with the team. 1/3 of the roster not returning and a new coach, with a new system is definitely a big change.

Maybe Feaster doesn't see the core as the problem, maybe he sees the depth and the system as a problem.