HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 13th Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Stars to draft 13th overall?
Olli Määttä 14 27.45%
Cody Ceci 8 15.69%
Sebastian Collberg 20 39.22%
Brendan Gaunce 6 11.76%
Derrick Pouliot 3 5.88%
Matt Finn 0 0%
Slater Koekkoek 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
  #51
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,867
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Dallas Stars fan from Winnipeg, been a fan since around grade five, I'm twenty-two now. When the Jets were announced as coming back I had a minor interest towards them, went to the rookie camps etc, but then when I saw how many retarded homer idiots this city produced all interest was lost.
Ah, okay. Won't find many of those here, at least on HFBoards.

Always welcome here.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:48 PM
  #52
WhoahNow
Registered User
 
WhoahNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
If the actual draft goes like this and Girgenson and Faska are both already gone, and no high end dmen have dropped for us I'd absolutely want Collberg. At the point where we probably aren't getting a top end center or a #1 dman, might as well go for best available player

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
  #53
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
I do think trading back with tampa would be a good idea if they dont love someone on the board. I dont think theres a ton of difference between Gaunce, Kerdiles or Laughton. They could also trade back and maybe still go for a homerun with Jankowski. Sure the organization has had some back luck with trading back but thats years ago and armstrong isnt here anymore.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
  #54
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,477
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
The Stars have a history of trading back, and a history of seeing useful players taken with the picks they traded while whiffing on the ones they got in exchange.

The team doesn't need more picks like a rebuilding team, it needs more talent.
You just restated your first point.

My argument is that the talent at 13 and 21 are seen as similar by most hockey writers. If that's true (and you already know the Stars value the players in the Top 50 since GMJN said they do), you would be acquiring more talent with the 21st and 40th pick than just the 13th.

Every draft is different, and just because they got burned one year moving back doesn't mean they will again. A guy taken 13th overall is usually just as likely to succeed as a guy taken in the 20s. If your targeted player is gone ... which is what I said ... then the logical move is to jump back. You don't just jump back for the hell of it. If they're targeting centers, and this scenario plays out, trading back would make sense.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:07 PM
  #55
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
You just restated your first point.

My argument is that the talent at 13 and 21 are seen as similar by most hockey writers. If that's true (and you already know the Stars value the players in the Top 50 since GMJN said they do), you would be acquiring more talent with the 21st and 40th pick than just the 13th.

Every draft is different, and just because they got burned one year moving back doesn't mean they will again. A guy taken 13th overall is usually just as likely to succeed as a guy taken in the 20s. If your targeted player is gone ... which is what I said ... then the logical move is to jump back. You don't just jump back for the hell of it. If they're targeting centers, and this scenario plays out, trading back would make sense.
The Stars held picks that became Semin, Perry, and Zajac that they traded away to move down and get more picks.

I would rather have the guy who slips down a little bit, probably a defenseman this year, if there is a run on centers. BPA, not quantity.

Also, the talent difference between 13 and 21 is less than 5 and 13 for example, but the player who is 13th best is better than the 21st best player. I want a 1st liner/top pairing guy with my crapshoot pick.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
  #56
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
The Stars held picks that became Semin, Perry, and Zajac that they traded away to move down and get more picks.

I would rather have the guy who slips down a little bit, probably a defenseman this year, if there is a run on centers. BPA, not quantity.
whos to say the stars would have taken any of those guys if they hadnt traded down?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
  #57
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,867
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
whos to say the stars would have taken any of those guys if they hadnt traded down?
And there's no saying they'd be the players they are if they'd played here.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
  #58
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
There are no guarantees, but the best players they picked in exchange are BJ Crombeen and Francis Wathier

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
  #59
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,766
vCash: 820
Any hints from your management which way the Stars might go???

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
  #60
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,477
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Any hints from your management which way the Stars might go???
Center.

In a recent interview with a local radio station, Tom Gaglardi said he told his team to focus on centers in the draft.

I get the impression most Dallas fans aren't comfortable with Gaunce at 13, but I think Dallas might take him.

However, Gaglardi did mention there were some D that might fall that could be high end so some people think that could be Ceci or Maatta.

I'd be surprised if they drafted Collberg even though he's guy I'd really like at 13.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
  #61
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Any hints from your management which way the Stars might go???
The team needs a C, and this whole thread has been lamenting the other fans taking the Cs that would fall in our pick's range.

The whole regime has been beating the Center drum all offseason.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
  #62
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Any hints from your management which way the Stars might go???
just that they want centers

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
  #63
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 746
Let's just take 7 Centers. Something's bound to stick.

That'll solve that organizational need quickly

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  #64
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,867
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Let's just take 7 Centers. Something's bound to stick.

That'll solve that organizational need quickly
We should've take 7 goalies in 2011.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
  #65
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
If the top 12 goes as it does my preference would be to trade down 6-7 spots and draft Tomas Hertl. I really like him as a complete player who can play wing or centre.

Hopefully Joe would be savvy enough to get some valuable assets from the trade down.

If we stand pat then IMO take the best offensive player...Collberg.

Im not as high on Maata and Ceci as others are, I think we can get a similair talent in a seemingly stronger defensive draft with our 40's picks. There will be luck involved to get a stud offensive player (1st line potential i mean) picking later than the 1st round.
If the draft goes like this, and Dallas wants to trade down, they should call the Flyers (#20), who desperately need a defensive prospect.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:43 PM
  #66
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If the draft goes like this, and Dallas wants to trade down, they should call the Flyers (#20), who desperately need a defensive prospect.
What would the Flyers offer?

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
  #67
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
What would the Flyers offer?
They dont have much that theyd be willing to trade that id be interested in. If we are going to trade back I hope its with either tampa or buffalo. Both pick within the next 10 and both have extra 2nds.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
  #68
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
They dont have much that theyd be willing to trade that id be interested in. If we are going to trade back I hope its with either tampa or buffalo. Both pick within the next 10 and both have extra 2nds.
Philly has NHL assets that I wouldn't mind getting, and a swap of 1sts could be a (mostly) painless way to add value from Dallas' side.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM
  #69
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Philly has NHL assets that I wouldn't mind getting, and a swap of 1sts could be a (mostly) painless way to add value from Dallas' side.
i dont see them adding any of their valuable nhl talent to move up that distance in the draft.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:18 PM
  #70
piqued
Global Moderator
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 30,565
vCash: 27750
Just had a thought here... maybe it's off-base, but...

Is Steve Ott not the quintessential Philadelphia Flyers player? I mean, he fits that organization right down to a T. They got rid of Carcillo and Rinaldo is in the process of washing out/showing he can't play under control. There might be a spot for an agitating faceoff-winning winger.

Ott
13th overall

JVR
20th overall

Philly gets into the range to take one of the well-regarded Dmen (Ceci, Maatta, Pouliot, Trouba) and cuts over a million off their cap (also freeing up long-term flexibility) while gaining a player who will contribute now and won't be asked to do too much with their depth at forward. The Stars take on the riskier, currently overpaid, higher-upside player who possibly needs a change of scenery and then move back into the range of the 2nd tier centers (Hertl/Jankowski).

Does this make sense to anyone else?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
  #71
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Just had a thought here... maybe it's off-base, but...

Is Steve Ott not the quintessential Philadelphia Flyers player? I mean, he fits that organization right down to a T. They got rid of Carcillo and Rinaldo is in the process of washing out/showing he can't play under control. There might be a spot for an agitating faceoff-winning winger.

Ott
13th overall

JVR
20th overall

Philly gets into the range to take one of the well-regarded Dmen (Ceci, Maatta, Pouliot, Trouba) and cuts over a million off their cap (also freeing up long-term flexibility) while gaining a player who will contribute now and won't be asked to do too much with their depth at forward. The Stars take on the riskier, currently overpaid, higher-upside player who possibly needs a change of scenery and then move back into the range of the 2nd tier centers (Hertl/Jankowski).

Does this make sense to anyone else?
This is what I was talking about, except that probably isn't enough for JVR.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
  #72
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
This is what I was talking about, except that probably isn't enough for JVR.
Moving up 7 picks isn't the difference between Ott and JVR?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
  #73
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,477
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Moving up 7 picks isn't the difference between Ott and JVR?
Unless the difference is a 2nd round pick, then no. That's about what it would cost to move up that many spots (a 40th-50th) pick.

I don't think Phili would do Ott+Dallas' 2nd for JVR so I also don't think they do the swap piqued is talking about, but I do think it was a great idea.

It can't hurt to ask.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:29 PM
  #74
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,867
vCash: 157
Great idea, but JvR is touted as the next Gretzky or something. I don't get the hype around him, but he'd definitely be an improvement over Ott.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:50 PM
  #75
Dave Karp
Registered User
 
Dave Karp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,697
vCash: 940
Collberg for me.

Wouldn't be too upset with Ceci or Pouliot. Not a fan of Maatta.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.