HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Lidström Retires -- Wings/Avs original rivalry loses another

Old
05-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Seriously yeah this should have been posted in the NHL General Thread. I get that you're a fan of hockey, but this is an Avalanche forum.

Why we are tributing a Red Wings player in a Avalanche forum is just nuts. General Hockey forum? do it there...

I gotta say I'm embarrassed this thread is here.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
Yeah I forgot the sarcasm for the Bertuzzi comment. Whoops.

Hans Landaskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:01 AM
billybobjoe1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I would say Iginla to.

When I think of the Late 90s to ealy 00s, I think Sakic, Roy, Blake, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Shannahan, Yzerman, Iginla, Sundin, Curtis Joeseph, Naslund, Madano, Brodeur, Hasek etc.

For me, the only ones left from those days are Iggy, Brodeur, and mayb Elias(to a lesser extent).

Brodeur retires this year if he wins the cup IMO, that'll leave just Iggy really.
I contemplated Iggy and then left him out.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
If you can't respect one of the greatest to play the game, especially on such a rival team, you can hardly call yourself a hockey fan.

I received no bad comments when I made a Demitra thread after he died. I don't see how a retirement of a defender who was an intimate foe of the Avalanche for so long doesn't deserve at least a farewell thread from our classy fans.
Hockey fans are so $*!&ing concerned about being classy that it makes me ill. There's nothing classy about hockey... IT'S $*&!ING HOCKEY!

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:31 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

The only Red Wings player I respect (past or present) is Stevie Y.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:50 AM
kento19
@kento19

My favorite defenseman to ever play. That's coming from a life long Avs fan who has been there through all the rivalry. The fact that some fans can come on here and show their appreciation for Lidstrom shows how classy the Avs fans are. For the guys complaining about this thread, I understand where you're coming from, but come on. This guy is a true Legend. Arguably the second best Dman to ever play the game and one of the classiest guys to ever lace them up in this era right behind Sakic and another wing in Yzerman. Good luck to Nik in his future. Hopefully he stays away from the wings so he don't give any of their prospects his secrets

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
My favorite defenseman to ever play. That's coming from a life long Avs fan who has been there through all the rivalry. The fact that some fans can come on here and show their appreciation for Lidstrom shows how classy the Avs fans are. For the guys complaining about this thread, I understand where you're coming from, but come on. This guy is a true Legend. Arguably the second best Dman to ever play the game and one of the classiest guys to ever lace them up in this era right behind Sakic and another wing in Yzerman. Good luck to Nik in his future. Hopefully he stays away from the wings so he don't give any of their prospects his secrets
Slightly OT for this thread, but Orr, Bourque and Harvey were clearly better IMHO, Lidstrom is right behind them alongside Shore and Potvin.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:41 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Slightly OT for this thread, but Orr, Bourque and Harvey were clearly better IMHO, Lidstrom is right behind them alongside Shore and Potvin.
Orr is clear cut number one. I think Lidstrom was better than Bourque and I never saw Harvey play. Lidstrom is the best I've seen, but the older guys are probably better. Obviously Orr was.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Drij

Could care any less about him, on the bright side the wrings are gonna suck with out him.

Drij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

Quote:
You're old enough to have seen Doug Harvey play?

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
You're old enough to have seen Doug Harvey play?
No, but I saw a lot of old Montreal videos and I've read a lot about him and the rest of those Habs. As a fan of Montreal and as someone who grew up listening about their glory days I've done a lot of historical research about them.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Could care any less about him, on the bright side the wrings are gonna suck with out him.
yes if this thread is a tribute to anything, it's that the wings are going to suck more next year. sorry lidstrom got old and can't get down the ice anymore. Now you can feel like we did circa 2006.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
PAZ

What's so embarassing about a thread on one of the greatest defense to play? Not to mention he's one of the only greats I didn't have to watch videos of to see him play.

The Avs-Wings rivalry is a thing of a past, I could understand people getting upset if this was in the early 2000s, but it's 2012. Anyone who thinks theres anything more than a shred of rivalry is fooling themselves here. This is more of a tribute thread to one of the best defenseman to ever play hockey, not a tribute to the red wings.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
What's so embarassing about a thread on one of the greatest defense to play? Not to mention he's one of the only greats I didn't have to watch videos of to see him play.

The Avs-Wings rivalry is a thing of a past, I could understand people getting upset if this was in the early 2000s, but it's 2012. Anyone who thinks theres anything more than a shred of rivalry is fooling themselves here. This is more of a tribute thread to one of the best defenseman to ever play hockey, not a tribute to the red wings.
This ... and it's the same thing for me . I dont think it's a secret that i'm not an Habs fan. But i have ALOT of respect for guys like Maurice Richard , Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur... and all their past superstars. Guys who, just like Lindstrom, will go down in history as legends .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Aerolanche

True, the Colorado/Detroit rivalry is a thing of the past, but I still cringe at the thought of that team doing well. As a hockey fan, it's too bad that Lidstrom had to retire. As an Avs fan, see ya.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
yes if this thread is a tribute to anything, it's that the wings are going to suck more next year. sorry lidstrom got old and can't get down the ice anymore. Now you can feel like we did circa 2006.
Tbh, I think Suter was better than Lidstrom this season and if they do bring in a dman like that then I'm not saying they'll win a cup or anything but they'll be in no worse shape than they were this year.

Our best hope is for Zetterberg/Datsyuk to get old fast and hope that they don't come across another player like that. I don't mind if Nyquist or Smith or whoever are stars but as long as they don't become special players like Datsyuk/Zett/Lidstrom then I'm fine.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Bye Nik. Good luck in life.
What will you ever do with $100M dollars??

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
True, the Colorado/Detroit rivalry is a thing of the past, but I still cringe at the thought of that team doing well. As a hockey fan, it's too bad that Lidstrom had to retire. As an Avs fan, see ya.

Everyone is claiming the rivalry is dead here. Go to the 2 Red Wing games every year, and come home from Pepsi Center and tell me the rivalry is dead.

It's not. More than any other team in the NHL, the damn Red Wings fans fill our arena every year. It's still a rivalry to fans in this city that want to shut up their fans sitting in front of you proclaiming how Detroit is the best hockey town, always has the best team, blah blah blah.

Is someone gonna club Datsyuk because of what happened to Claude Lemiuex? no - you're right that's long gone. But I think the fans still have a genuine hatred of each other. The Red Wings game at the can is still by far the most tense atmosphere out of all the clubs. If you're just sitting at home and watching Peter McNab spew out garbage, you're not going to understand it.

When you see 5 Calgary fans at the Flames game, it's neat and you say hey how you doin and it's great they support their team. When you go to the Red Wings game and see 3,000 Yzerman jerseys making obnoxious idiots out of themselves it's a little different approach.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Spleenless Wonder21

Respect Yzerman, Shanahan, and Lidstrom. However, as an Avs fan particularly having grown up in NW Ohio surrounded by obnoxious Wings fans, I'll miss the latter as much as the other two aforementioned players, which is to say not at all.

Spleenless Wonder21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Everyone is claiming the rivalry is dead here. Go to the 2 Red Wing games every year, and come home from Pepsi Center and tell me the rivalry is dead.

It's not. More than any other team in the NHL, the damn Red Wings fans fill our arena every year. It's still a rivalry to fans in this city that want to shut up their fans sitting in front of you proclaiming how Detroit is the best hockey town, always has the best team, blah blah blah.

Is someone gonna club Datsyuk because of what happened to Claude Lemiuex? no - you're right that's long gone. But I think the fans still have a genuine hatred of each other. The Red Wings game at the can is still by far the most tense atmosphere out of all the clubs. If you're just sitting at home and watching Peter McNab spew out garbage, you're not going to understand it.

When you see 5 Calgary fans at the Flames game, it's neat and you say hey how you doin and it's great they support their team. When you go to the Red Wings game and see 3,000 Yzerman jerseys making obnoxious idiots out of themselves it's a little different approach.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:

I totally agree, the rivalry is alive and well between the fans, but as for the on-ice rivalry... Varlamov vs. Howard isn't exactly Roy vs. Osgood. One day maybe.

Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
PAZ

Quote:

The thing is once the Avs get a contending team on the ice, it will never be like the past rivalry. Imo theres a higher chance we build a new rivalry against St. Louis, Edmonton, etc, rather than renew our old one with the Wings.

I mean, of course you're going to dislike Wings fans more than Flames fans because there really isn't much history between the Avs and Flames. What you're talking about is people clinging on the past rivalry because we haven't built any others.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
The thing is once the Avs get a contending team on the ice, it will never be like the past rivalry. Imo theres a higher chance we build a new rivalry against St. Louis, Edmonton, etc, rather than renew our old one with the Wings.

I mean, of course you're going to dislike Wings fans more than Flames fans because there really isn't much history between the Avs and Flames. What you're talking about is people clinging on the past rivalry because we haven't built any others.
Habs and Leafs didn't have a meaningful playoff series in ages and their fanbases still hate eachother, QC doesn't have a team anymore but their fans still don't like anything Montreal related and vice versa. It's not clinging on to the past, it's embracing the history and its legacy.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:59 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Habs and Leafs didn't have a meaningful playoff series in ages and their fanbases still hate eachother, QC doesn't have a team anymore but their fans still don't like anything Montreal related and vice versa. It's not clinging on to the past, it's embracing the history and its legacy.
Thats a bit different imo. Habs and leafs are situated a lot closer and the two fanbases run into quite a bit. You don't see as many Avs fans in detroit and vice versa.

I think a good comparison is if Boston and Vancouver met in the SCFs again, it would ignite the rivalry, but theres a higher chance they dont

Old
06-04-2012, 12:55 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
This ... and it's the same thing for me . I dont think it's a secret that i'm not an Habs fan. But i have ALOT of respect for guys like Maurice Richard , Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur... and all their past superstars. Guys who, just like Lindstrom, will go down in history as legends .
Your not a habs fan? Coulda fooled me with a username like "Frenchy."

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote