HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Talk - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 500
I don't see why we can't keep both for another year or half year.

Schneider has always been a comsumate pro, and Luongo would never pout because no one would want him after that.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
There's always an element of What have you done for me lately in every fan base.

The year before they stole the cup, the Bruins had one of the larger melt down chokes in the history of the game. Bruin fans wanted everyone traded, the coach fired, the GM canned.

Sound familiar?
Guess what they want now?

Old
06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I think it'd be foolish for Toronto to give up even one of those two pieces given what they have in the cupboard, I really do. Especially if it's true that the number of teams after Luongo is rather limited. If they wouldn't budge on it being one of those two, I think I'd tell Vancouver we were going to July 1st and play the Vokoun card.
No matter what happens, I think it would be foolish for Toronto to go into next season without a true #1 goalie. They spend too much money to re-build and are a good shot to make the playoffs.

-Thomas says he's going to retire if he's not in Boston.
-Vokoun seems like he'd rather be a backup for a contender then a starter for a non-contender.
-The slew of backups available aren't really better than anyone they already have. Just as unreliable.
-Kipper is not being traded as Calgary is tooled up to try and take a shot at making the playoffs.

Who's left?

Old
06-01-2012, 02:33 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post

Schneider has always been a comsumate pro, and Luongo would never pout because no one would want him after that.
Schneider has been the consummate pro as he has learned the ropes and got into more games. Thing is he's a free agent on July 1 and wants to be a starter. He's done sharing the workload and he will not sign a long term deal with the canucks until Luongo is moved. Nor should anyone expect him to.

These things work out well for a year but not much longer than that. You have two guys who want and likely deserve to play 60 games a year, neither one will be happy to be sitting for an extra 20.

I would be shocked if the move wasn't made in the next month. The canucks will want to have Schneider locked up (or dealt) before July 1 when he can start hearing other offers and before they can file for arbitration and protect the asset.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
And what other team would be offering something comparable to that #5 pick?
A right side D that can play right now - to a team like the Canucks who's more to built to win now - would be more valuable than the #5 pick. I'm not that big a fan of Luke Schenn (because you're already paying him on the assumption he will return to the kind of development he had during his rookie season). He's got a ways to go before being a top four D. If the Leafs sign Schultz, that pushes him further down the depth chart.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post

We can only put one guy in the net at a time. It makes sense to deal our position of strength to shore up somewhere else. Schneider would command a good young player in a trade, whereas Luongo would free up the cap space to go UFA fishing.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
No matter what happens, I think it would be foolish for Toronto to go into next season without a true #1 goalie. They spend too much money to re-build and are a good shot to make the playoffs.

-Thomas says he's going to retire if he's not in Boston.
-Vokoun seems like he'd rather be a backup for a contender then a starter for a non-contender.
-The slew of backups available aren't really better than anyone they already have. Just as unreliable.
-Kipper is not being traded as Calgary is tooled up to try and take a shot at making the playoffs.

Who's left?
LeBrun already said on TSN that Vokoun sees Toronto as a good fit though.

I don't get why people give Burke such a hard time about moving picks/youth or depleting teams' cupboards and then think he should moving that 5th overall. For a 33 year old. It'd be rather stupid of them, IMO.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:

I don't get why people give Burke such a hard time about moving picks/youth or depleting teams' cupboards and then think he should moving that 5th overall. For a 33 year old. It'd be rather stupid of them, IMO.
I'd love to watch TML crap the bed again by cheaping out on a goalie.

I am in no mood to help legitimize the Leafs and therefore save Burke's job.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Canucker

Quote:

Not sure why the "33 year old" thing is such an issue for you? Luongo has at least 3-4 very good years left in him...if you get mid-late 1st round pick (perhaps ours) and take Malcom Subban, by the time he's ready to go Luongo will be on his way out...perfect transitioning, and you get probably the best mentor for a young goalie in the league. I could understand some apprehension if Luongo were in his late 30's, but there is plenty of gas left in that tank.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Edit: just came across this...not sure if it has been posted.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ca...847/story.html
oh tony, you destroy your whole article when you say **** like this

Quote:
Bleacher Report, which is normally pretty solid, ...
gallagher is such a clown as a writer, especially when he has an agenda.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Not sure why the "33 year old" thing is such an issue for you? Luongo has at least 3-4 very good years left in him...if you get mid-late 1st round pick (perhaps ours) and take Malcom Subban, by the time he's ready to go Luongo will be on his way out...perfect transitioning, and you get probably the best mentor for a young goalie in the league. I could understand some apprehension if Luongo were in his late 30's, but there is plenty of gas left in that tank.
It's like Toronto has a car without an engine but you're suggesting they trade their brakes for one. They're a playoff team with Luongo, certainly, but not much potential to be more than that if they're having to give up what some here are suggesting.

If people were talking about Toronto trading that 5th overall to any other team, for any other player, I think people here would be laughing their ***** off at Burke. Because you know as well as I do that moving that pick is probably not a good idea for where that team is at.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
KDizzle

Probably late to the party but...

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/05/c...-to-the-leafs/

Who the hell is samjam99?

Anyway, I just hope we at least get decent player/pick out of this whole ordeal, whether we're trading Schnieder or Luongo. If we get table scraps, I'd be upset. Truth be told, I wish we could keep both, but that's not the ideal situation moving forward.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
A right side D that can play right now - to a team like the Canucks who's more to built to win now - would be more valuable than the #5 pick.
But, if you can get the #5 pick, then you can trade for that right side D to play right now, or someone else to play right now (if you so choose)... from a larger market of teams (not just teams that may be in the market for Luongo)... The draft pick turns Luongo, liquid...

Even if it's Gardiner that's the dman Gillis likes most of all, that's available... Gardiner + what else from the Leafs is equivalent to that #5 pick?

It's pretty simple, I think, if Gillis is in fact trading Luongo, and if Luongo needs to be traded ASAP (both, I'm not convinced of)... From my perspective, #5 pick or nothing from Toronto... Prefer Gardiner over the #5? Then move the #5 back to Toronto for Gardiner + whatever else makes the trade even... I don't even mind or care if it makes sense from a Toronto perspective or not to give that pick... If Toronto wants Luongo (and Luongo is available) then that's the value I'd want back... Otherwise, Luongo can go elsewhere...

I'd personally want the #5 for value, and also to make a statement

Toronto doesn't want to give the #5? Absolutely fine, IMO... Toronto doesn't have to...

Old
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Probably late to the party but...

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/05/c...-to-the-leafs/

Who the hell is samjam99?

Anyway, I just hope we at least get decent player/pick out of this whole ordeal, whether we're trading Schnieder or Luongo. If we get table scraps, I'd be upset. Truth be told, I wish we could keep both, but that's not the ideal situation moving forward.
Yes, quite a bit late.

samjam99 re-tweeted a tweet that says its Schenn and 5th overall. But the account he RT'ed is new and only has two tweets, both about these so called "CONFIRMED" moves (second being Canucks going after veteran backup like Roloson or Khabibulin). Was already stinky with this rumour from the start but it's getting more and more BS as time continues. If that somehow turns out to be the deal. Pure. Robbery.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Canucker

Quote:
It's like Toronto has a car without an engine but you're suggesting they trade their brakes for one. They're a playoff team with Luongo, certainly, but not much potential to be more than that if they're having to give up what some here are suggesting.

If people were talking about Toronto trading that 5th overall to any other team, for any other player, I think people here would be laughing their ***** off at Burke. Because you know as well as I do that moving that pick is probably not a good idea for where that team is at.
Yes, some people are highly delusional about what Luongo will return...but I don't think one of Gardiner or the 5th overall pick (more likely) is out of line. Plus, I don't believe that Luongo will be the only piece moving in any deal. I think it's just as delusional to suggest we won't get anything of value for Luongo as it is that we're going to rob Burke blind. It has to make sense for both sides or it doesn't get done.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
KISSland

It would make a lot of sense for us to package Luongo along with our first for the 5th overall.

Toronto fans keep mentioning about how they can get a number 1 center. But I think grigs and galchen will be drafted before.

I think if Burke sees the those two forwards gone by the time they pick. They'll pull the trigger on the trade. And hope one of Weiss, Getzlaf, Staal make it to UFA status by next year.

Luongo will take them to the playoffs. They need to win now. A prospect won't get them there.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Yes, quite a bit late.

samjam99 re-tweeted a tweet that says its Schenn and 5th overall. But the account he RT'ed is new and only has two tweets, both about these so called "CONFIRMED" moves (second being Canucks going after veteran backup like Roloson or Khabibulin). Was already stinky with this rumour from the start but it's getting more and more BS as time continues. If that somehow turns out to be the deal. Pure. Robbery.
Aha thanks.
I haven't followed this thread at all in recent weeks.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
It would make a lot of sense for us to package Luongo along with our first for the 5th overall.

Toronto fans keep mentioning about how they can get a number 1 center. But I think grigs and galchen will be drafted before.

I think if Burke sees the those two forwards gone by the time they pick. They'll pull the trigger on the trade. And hope one of Weiss, Getzlaf, Staal make it to UFA status by next year.

Luongo will take them to the playoffs. They need to win now. A prospect won't get them there.
Ahead of 5th? Grigorenko, yes. Galchenyuk probably not. Top 4 is almost guaranteed to e Yakupov, Murray, Forsberg and Grigorenko.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:23 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Ahead of 5th? Grigorenko, yes. Galchenyuk probably not. Top 4 is almost guaranteed to e Yakupov, Murray, Forsberg and Grigorenko.
I think it will be:

Yaks, Grigs, Golchen, Murray, Forsberg.

Again, my opinion.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:25 PM
duplo

So that samjam guy just retweeted this. Take it for what it's worth.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post

They'll be in the playoffs but they'll have pretty much zero trade chips and zero cap space left to put a team around Luongo that can actually contend in the years he's still a top goaltender.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

**** is going to hit the fan here for one reason or another very soon.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
duplo

The guy he retweeted also had this to say. No clue who he is, it's probably buuuuuuull.

@CanucksMarshall

Old
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Canucker

Quote:
They'll be in the playoffs but they'll have pretty much zero trade chips and zero cap space left to put a team around Luongo that can actually contend in the years he's still a top goaltender.
One step at a time...Burke's job depends on getting into the playoffs first and foremost. After next season he can shed a lot of dead weight and have better options of filling his team...but if he doesn't make progress this season he's a goner.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
KISSland

Quote:
You're really selling your team short. If they fix there hole with goaltending then they only need to patch up the center. Even with that hole there they have a good enough team to contend for the playoffs. Isn't that the goal? Make the playoffs. Once we make the playoffs let's try and win a cup?

It's too early to tell with your cap situation. Things can easily shake up differently. Trust us when we say your fans will love Lu. And the price to way will be worth it in the long run.

If we package our first you guys can easily draft one of the two goalies. By the time 4 years goes by and I'm sure Lu will still be able to compete you'll have the same situation as us. Except you'll only have Lu for another 2 years at most.

Closed Thread