Notices

Sparse group of Dallas Stars prospects saw post-season play

Old
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Sparse group of Dallas Stars prospects saw post-season play

It was a disappointing season for the Dallas Stars as they failed to qualify for the postseason despite winning 42 games over the course of the National Hockey League's 82-game docket.

Moreover, a new coach in the AHL caused an abrupt upheaval in tactics and resulted in the Texas Stars finishing last in the Western Conference by a sizable margin and posted the second worst record in the entire league. Further down the ladder in Idaho, the Steelheads were the only sub-.500 team in the ECHL to qualify for the Kelly Cup Playoffs and were dispatched by Las Vegas in the second round after a closely fought series.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
Not sure I like seeing Oleksiak described as 'docile'.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Hal Gill.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:50 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Wasn't that the knock on him in his scouting report? I think that's always been his game.

I'm not really expecting him to turn into some physical beast. I think Jay Bouwmester is the highest comparable ceiling we can hope for.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:11 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

It's not like him being similar to Bouwmeester is bad.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Captain Awesome

Unless it's in mental fortitude, then we're screwed and should expect a decade more of this.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Wasn't that the knock on him in his scouting report? I think that's always been his game.
Nope. Pretty much all pre-draft scouting reports noted his physicality and aggressiveness.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Jay Bouwmeester is a flop because of where he was taken in the draft. People expect the world out of the 3rd overall selection. If Olesiak becomes Bouwmeester a minute eating top pairing defenseman capable of passing or skating the puck out of the zone and scoring 30+ points consistently then praise Jesus, hallelujah. That's a fantastic selection that becomes a core piece of the defense for 7 seasons.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
txomisc

It says to me that he plays a type of game where he doesnt let his emotions get the better of him. It doesnt mean he can't hit guys or clear the crease so much has he wont go running around sniffing for hits like robidas or facewashing guys in every scrum like Ott.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:17 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I know this is an HF article but I feel like this thread is redundant when we already have the prospects thread...

Quote:
At 6-7, one would expect more in the way of truculence, but Oleksiak is predominantly docile, even in post-whistle shenanigans. It doesn't appear as if anyone can generate much of a rise in Oleksiak – at least not regularly – but on the flip side, he plays a clean and efficient game. He only took two minor penalties in the entire OHL playoffs – both stick fouls.
There are so many ways to interpret this kind of comment. Calling a player "docile" is one thing but then to go on and say "even in post-whistle shenanigans" it gets sort of muddled. I don't have a problem with a team's rock solid defenseman not taking himself out of commission for god knows how long just so he can put his glove in someone's face. That's entirely different than saying a player, especially a big defenseman, avoids physical play. If it's a lack of competitive drive then I'd be worried; I don't get the impression that's an issue though.

This seems to be a criticism directed toward a lot of big young defensemen. Does anybody remember what Chara's game was like in juniors? Some guys seem to want to work on the tertiary elements of their game and once they have those down feel more comfortable playing up to the physical level expected out of a big man. When you're 6-7, 250 lbs you don't really need to go out of your way to be physical. If he takes it up a notch later on all the better. If he's a bigger, slightly more offensively talented, better version of Grossman then so be it. Not worried about Oleksiak at all.

On another topic, is anyone else getting excited about Ritchie? At the development camp I saw him at he looked damn good, especially in the offensive oriented drills; kid has a good shot that reminded me a little of an 18 year old Jamie Benn. But this development of his checking game, while not sexy, is really just a huge plus in my mind. It seems he's worked himself into that "should be at least an NHL role player" level of prospect with power forward upside. We need more guys like him who aren't all offensively oriented scoring forwards but who also have a little bite to their game.

I can't help but be generally positive when thinking about the state of our farm system, which is partly why I think the next Texas Stars head coach is one of the more important decisions to be made over the last four or five years.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote