HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Dalhousie Arena Demolish

Old
12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Dalhousie Arena Demolish

I thought I'd make a new thread for the Dal Rink de-construction.

Here is the Herald article today. A little more expansive than the Metro.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...-be-demolished

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
AUS Fan

Another Article

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/3...ompts-concerns

Old
12-03-2011, 07:00 AM
cishockeyfan

I don't know how theyd do it, and they probably would not do it but it would make sence for the two universities SMU and Dalhousie to go in together on a Neutral site arena between the two school, possibly a 2000 seat arena with 6 dressing rooms, 1 for smu 1 for dal and 4 for other hockey teams of any leagues. had a secondary Ice Surface with no seating just standing room to support Minor hockey, instramurals or practice time.

If either team was ever in a game where the thought of a possible large crowd was possible such as a playoff game they could always plan ahead and play at the metro center or the forum.

Im guessing smu would like a new rink as much as Dal, the forum is nice for smu cause of the Capacity of the rink, but thats about it, not much for walk up students to the games, its not a nice rink by any means, rarely do they need the extra seats

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:04 AM
cishockeyfan

I wouldnt be surprised to see Dal play for the next couple of years at the Metro Center, sounds like SMU is not happy about the possibilities of sharing the Forum

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:47 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
I don't know how theyd do it, and they probably would not do it but it would make sence for the two universities SMU and Dalhousie to go in together on a Neutral site arena between the two school, possibly a 2000 seat arena with 6 dressing rooms, 1 for smu 1 for dal and 4 for other hockey teams of any leagues. had a secondary Ice Surface with no seating just standing room to support Minor hockey, instramurals or practice time.

If either team was ever in a game where the thought of a possible large crowd was possible such as a playoff game they could always plan ahead and play at the metro center or the forum.

Im guessing smu would like a new rink as much as Dal, the forum is nice for smu cause of the Capacity of the rink, but thats about it, not much for walk up students to the games, its not a nice rink by any means, rarely do they need the extra seats
Sounds great, but like you said I doubt they'd ever do it.

I only have one little nitpick with your plan. You need more than 4 dressing rooms for the public, having run and organised some tournaments (have one going on right now at the JLL, 16 Bantam AAA and Midget AAA girls teams) and it's a nightmare with only 4 available rooms. We can only afford to give the girls a 15 minute turnaround after the games; at this age level it's not too bad since they don't shower after the games but it's still way too hectic. That's the only gripe I have with the renovations that were made here, they should have found a way to expand somewhere and add another 2 rooms, the more rooms the better but especially if you want to have 2 ice surfaces, 4 rooms isn't going to cut it even with one ice surface it's a pain in the butt, just ask our operators here or the ones at the LBR. Just in case you ever decide to build a rink in your backyard

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:46 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Forum

Steiny sounds upset at the possibility of sharing the forum with Pete. Too bad, were's his X-Mas spirit? Maybe some of Pete's winning habits may rub off on scrooge! It's not all gloom trev, free tickets to Dal games sounds like a bargain to me!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Island Husky

They are not impressed. (SMU Coaching) talked to them Wed night. There are issues like practice times, complicated by both teams having to run across the city at that. Dal would not be happy with what they would get relegated to. But at least they (Dal Admin)plan for a new rink on campus, in four years hence. That fiasco at St Mary's is beyond belief. Bob Dauphinee has been dead 12 years. In that time they may as well have torn down the old barn, put something up in its very place, a rink, with dressing rooms, a new ice plant, suitable insulation and roof so you don't lose your air through the walls and roof, but no,... Great big plans, join it to The Tower, offices for the AD, a pedway, a walkway to the football field...The university can accept a huge donation from Homburg for the fitness center and call it such, but cannot for a hockey arena, It baffles me. You have the Keating Center at X, all kinds of varsity teams wearing sponsor logos, but SMU cannot or will not do this. There is a rink in PEI, the APM center in Cornwall, it is still cold, but would be more than adequate for a university, Big ice surface only sits about 1000, more standing room, slightly less than what the McLaughlin holds, It reminds me of what Guelph played out of if not still? For godssake St Mary's keep it simple! But no....and the worst part is the "deafening" silence, Whatever you do St Mary's keep it quiet!! It is enough to make me want to turncoat and go ( stay??) here to PEI. This is going to be interesting, and although I feel for and sympathize with Trevor and staff, I will laugh long and hard at the Administration if they get the short end of this one.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
SnipeShow91

just happened to be back in Halifax for the weekend to do some scouting for RMC, and my sister lives right near the Memorial Arena. Had to go see it one last time.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:59 PM
AUS Fan

I was at the rink this morning and they have the buildings in front of the rink fenced off. They will tear those down over the next couple of weeks.

Old
12-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Rob

So are the only two choices for Dal the Forum or Memorial?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
AUS Fan

I can't see them playing in the Metro Center. So, next year they will probably be in the Forum. Dal also has to find ice for their womens team as well.

More importantly, I have to find ice for Saturday morning.

Old
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
AUS Fan

Letter from Dal

Dear Arena Patron,

At a meeting on November 29, Dalhousie University's Board of Governors voted to approve the construction of the new mixed use building on LeMarchant Street, which will house new residence rooms, as well as various Dalhousie student services. The construction of this building, which is slated to open in 2014, will require the subsequent closure and demolition of the Dalhousie Memorial Arena in the spring of 2012.

As a regular arena user, we want to keep you as informed as possible on the upcoming changes.

Although an exact date has not yet been confirmed, the arena is currently scheduled to close following Dalhousie's spring exams. Student and community programs, activities, rentals, etc. that are scheduled up until April 2012 are not expected to be affected by the impending closure.

The university is currently planning to build a new arena on the site of Eliza Ritchie Hall, located alongside Dalplex on South Street (the new mixed use building on LeMarchant Street is expected to replace the residence at Eliza Ritchie Hall) and the Department of Athletics and Recreational Services is working on a solution that would see certain activities temporarily relocate to other ice surfaces in the city in the interim.

For additional information regarding facility improvements and development included as part of Dalhousie’s campus master plan, please visit www.dal.ca/campusplan.
We will make every effort to keep you informed of these changes to our facilities; however, we are very much still in the planning stages at this point and will provide updates as plans begin to solidify. Our facility reservations staff will also be contacting rental groups whose bookings will be affected by these changes.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Island Husky

From today's Chronicle Herald, if you get bored reading it, just jump to paragraph 8.The larger issue here is NS Government's decision to cut funding to its ten universities by 3%, while the universities themselves are expected to increase tuition by 3% next year as well. Nearly twenty years ago, the NS Govt of the day commissioned a study to amalgamate university programs in NS, a few programs were cut, among them SMU and Dal's Education. The next round saw Computer Science programs cut from various schools while Dal retained theirs. Also, the amalgamation of Dal and TUNS occurred shortly after. Then the study gained dust in NS Archives where it continues to do so. Anyway, a 6% effect on students and others, after witnessing the Women's Hockey affair at St Mary's last year, can repercussions of this cut toward Universtiy Athletics be far behind?

http://thechronicleherald.ca/editori...university-mou

Last edited by Island Husky: 01-06-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clearer URL
Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
AUS Fan

Latest on the Dal Rink

http://dalgazette.com/sports/sites-f...rena-proposed/

Note: Reliable sources tell me that Dal is going to invest 50K in renovating the Forum for their Men's team. Even more reliable sources have stated that SMU is spending upwards of 600K on their side of the rink. The SMU money is supposedly approved, except they have no money. Work has to start within the next couple of weeks to be completed by Sept.

I was in the Forum last Thursday and see no sign of construction on either side. Next time I'm in town, I will try to get down to Dal and see what state the rink is in.

Watch this space for updates.....Gee, I sound like a real reporter.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
dale 1919

boys
what is the scoop in jacques at uqtr? AUS fan I thought you if anyone would possibly know?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale 1919 View Post
boys
what is the scoop in jacques at uqtr? AUS fan I thought you if anyone would possibly know?
He was looking for a new challenge. UQTR head coach job is now a part time position

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:46 PM
AUS Fan

There's your answer, Dale.

The OUA guys are on top of it.

I had heard something similar, but it's good to get confirmation.

btw, Don't hijack my thread again or I'll come out there and kill your cows.....

Old
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
dale 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
There's your answer, Dale.

The OUA guys are on top of it.

I had heard something similar, but it's good to get confirmation.

btw, Don't hijack my thread again or I'll come out there and kill your cows.....
k loud and clear cuz as you know it is tough to keep the cows in the barn out here! them cattle russlers are out here again like a fresh batch of mosquitoes! i dont need em angry!

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:15 PM
AUS Fan

Latest on Dal Rink saga

In response to an email inquiry by me:

The decision on a new roof or complete decommissioning of the arena is still under review. No decisions has been made either way, to the best of my knowledge.

If a new roof is the chosen route we will be down for 1 year and my best guess would be at least 2. I just don't know.

If a new arena is the chosen route we will be done for an indefinite period.

Either way we will not have ice next year and likely the following.