HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NAHL draft question

Old
05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Colton2233

vCash: 500
NAHL draft question

Draft was today and I see they drafted players out of the USHL. Are they lower level players who would like to play in the NAHL for more ice time, etc? !st overal pick was from the USHL

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
OutdoorJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton2233 View Post
Draft was today and I see they drafted players out of the USHL. Are they lower level players who would like to play in the NAHL for more ice time, etc? !st overal pick was from the USHL
I would assume so yes. USHL teams have to submit their protected lists prior to the USHL draft. If a player is left off a protected list and is not taken by another USHL team in the draft one would assume they would be a smart pick for NAHL teams.

Last edited by OutdoorJoe: 05-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.
OutdoorJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:17 PM
herbst20

I am not exactly sure how this works, because I thought affiliate list players are protected player by USHL. A Cedar Rapids affiliate player Ryan McMurphy (Dallas Stars u18) was drafted in the second round today.

McMurphy skated for 3 games with CR last year.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
OutdoorJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
I am not exactly sure how this works, because I thought affiliate list players are protected player by USHL. A Cedar Rapids affiliate player Ryan McMurphy (Dallas Stars u18) was drafted in the second round today.

McMurphy skated for 3 games with CR last year.
I believe affiliate list players are typically the players a team expect to be the future of the organization. Players on the affiliate list are able to play in something like up to 6 or 7 games a year. The protected list are the players the team intends to play in an upcoming season. So essentially this would be returning players a team intends to keep and any affiliate list players they plan having play all year. The teams would then draft accordingly to get their rosters up to 30. (7 returing players+5 affilate listers-30roster spots=18 draft picks) At that point teams are able to deleniate who they want to put back on affiliate lists and etc. And a player is only protected in the teams league who protected them. For example Ryan McMurphy from CR is only protected in the USHL, so no other USHL teams can select him. However, other leagues could select him and put them on their protected list, for their league.

I know there is more to it, this is just a small summation.

Last edited by OutdoorJoe: 05-31-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 07:33 PM
EpicNeilTime

What I find weird is the first overall pick is Dan Sherer who had 10 points in 44 games in the USHL. But then what's weirder is he already played in the NAHL for Amarillo. Sorry I'm Canadian so I don't really know much about American hockey, just seems weird to me.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
OutdoorJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
What I find weird is the first overall pick is Dan Sherer who had 10 points in 44 games in the USHL. But then what's weirder is he already played in the NAHL for Amarillo. Sorry I'm Canadian so I don't really know much about American hockey, just seems weird to me.
Ya I hear ya, it is confusing. Just because he was drafted again in the NAHL dosent mean he wont play in the USHL next year. But, you would think they wouldnt waste a #1 pick on someone they werent sure was gunna play for them next year.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:42 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorJoe View Post
Ya I hear ya, it is confusing. Just because he was drafted again in the NAHL dosent mean he wont play in the USHL next year. But, you would think they wouldnt waste a #1 pick on someone they werent sure was gunna play for them next year.
Like is this a junior league or a semi-professional?

Old
05-31-2012, 07:45 PM
OutdoorJoe

Quote:
Like is this a junior league or a semi-professional?
Juniors

USHL is Tier 1 (highest jr's)

NAHL is Tier 2

Old
05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorJoe View Post
Juniors

USHL is Tier 1 (highest jr's)

NAHL is Tier 2
oh okay thanks! Still doesn't make sense then.

Old
06-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Yea. This doesn't make sense. But if the GMs know the rules it might work.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:13 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with the Canadian systems of junior rights, but the USHL/NAHL relationship is not unlike the CHL/CJAHL relationship. Mitch Meek, for example, is protected property of Edmonton of the WHL and (until the end of the season) Cowichan Valley of the BCHL. It's basically a higher/lower league relationship, with the higher league hanging on to rights a little longer.

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
oh okay thanks! Still doesn't make sense then.
Tier I vs. Tier II is largely semantic IMHO in terms of NCAA amateurism. That being said, the USHL is a MUCH better league.

The NAHL draft establishes the rights of teams to certain players as they relate to other NAHL teams. If an NAHL team drafts you and for whatever reason you want to play (or end up) in the NAHL, they hold your rights. It does not obligate a player to play in the NAHL. I have always been under the impression that NAHL teams pick kids with back USHL class with the hope (rather than expectation) that they end up in the NAHL (i.e. released from their USHL team). You will even see teams draft players who have already committed to certain NCAA schools as odd as that might seem.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
herbst20

I understand how players thay aren't protected can be drafted by other leagues, but it is the drafting of a teams affilliate player that has me baffled. Affiliate players of the USHL are protected by the team and therefore property of them. I was caught off guard seeing McMurphy drafted.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
That being said, the USHL is a MUCH better league .
In terms of player talent, yea.

In terms of organization and professionalism? The NAHL blows the USHL out of the water. In an ideal world, the "powers that be" in the NAHL should be running the ship in the USHL.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
I understand how players thay aren't protected can be drafted by other leagues, but it is the drafting of a teams affilliate player that has me baffled. Affiliate players of the USHL are protected by the team and therefore property of them. I was caught off guard seeing McMurphy drafted.
I understand what you are saying, but just because a player is on a USHL affiliate list doesn't mean they can't be drafted by a NAHL club. I believe a lot of NAHL teams took gambles with their draft picks yesterday. Yes, some of the USHL players drafted may not have been protected which made them prime selections in the NAHL draft. Some players drafted could still be protected by their USHL clubs, but the NAHL teams drafted them in hopes that they don't make the team and will want to play hockey somewhere else (ie NAHL).

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
In terms of player talent, yea.

In terms of organization and professionalism? The NAHL blows the USHL out of the water. In an ideal world, the "powers that be" in the NAHL should be running the ship in the USHL.

Yeah, I was just speaking of player talent. I think the NAHL still does a good job, however, with tenders. My only knock on the league is its geographic scope and number of teams. With the growth of hockey in the states it needs a wider footprint than it had back in the early 90s, but it could still stand to shed some teams.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:28 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

The other big factor is that a kid like Sherer will be a 20 y/o overager next year. Because the USHL is Tier I, they're limited to four overage roster spots, whereas the NAHL, as a Tier II league, can have as many as they want. So every year the NAHL picks up a couple overagers from the USHL or CHL.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:33 PM
herbst20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I understand what you are saying, but just because a player is on a USHL affiliate list doesn't mean they can't be drafted by a NAHL club. I believe a lot of NAHL teams took gambles with their draft picks yesterday. Yes, some of the USHL players drafted may not have been protected which made them prime selections in the NAHL draft. Some players drafted could still be protected by their USHL clubs, but the NAHL teams drafted them in hopes that they don't make the team and will want to play hockey somewhere else (ie NAHL).
Makes sense....thanks!

Old
06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
capswon

I would agree on some that may go play in the NAHL if drafted. But look at the #7 pick, Hrabovsky was the most improved player and top D-man for Tri City this past season. Would find it hard to believe he would go to NAHL.

capswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capswon View Post
I would agree on some that may go play in the NAHL if drafted. But look at the #7 pick, Hrabovsky was the most improved player and top D-man for Tri City this past season. Would find it hard to believe he would go to NAHL.
Especially since the Storm re-drafted him a week earlier in the Entry Draft. I don't get the point of these drafts myself.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Especially since the Storm re-drafted him a week earlier in the Entry Draft. I don't get the point of these drafts myself.
I don't always get how they run them, but I understand the point of them... parity.

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote