HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Winnik, Galiardi and 7th to SJ for Jamie McGinn, Michael Sgarbossa and Mike Connolly

Old
02-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Winnik, Galiardi and 7th to SJ for Jamie McGinn, Michael Sgarbossa and Mike Connolly

Just lost the Avs best PKer in Winnik, and possibly the biggest part of the team chemsitry in Galiardi, who keeps everyone loose.

7th round pick is in 2013, and is Anaheim's pick.

Jamie McGinn:

Position: LW/RW
Size: 6'1" 210 lbs
Shoots: Left
Current NHL Stats: 12 goals, 12 assists in 61 games

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=80256

Quote:
ASSETS: Can play a sound defensive game and also displays a little scoring upside. Works very hard when on the ice and is also quite versatile up front.

FLAWS: Doesn't have great playmaking skills. Must display greater consistency in all areas of the game in order to maximize his National Hockey League potential.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Industrious winger with a little upside.
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?5719

Michael Sgarbossa:

Position: Center
Size: 5'11" 175 lbs
Playing: Sudbury (OHL)
Current Stats: 41 goals, 43 assists in 57 games

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116080

Quote:
History
2007-08: Chosen by the Barrie Colts 54th overall at the 2008 OHL Priority Selection.

2008-09: In his OHL rookie season, Sgarbossa netted 10 goals and added 33 assists for 43 points in 67 games. He added 43 minutes in penalties.

2009-10: Sgarbossa began the season with the Colts, playing in 19 games for that team. He scored 7 goals and added 13 assists in those games. He was traded to Saginaw Spirit, posting 32 points (13G, 19A) in 48 games. Part of Team Canada for the World Under-18 Championships.

2010-11: Sgarbossa was signed to a three-year, entry-level contract by the Sharks in September 2010. He was returned to the OHL's Saginaw Spirit following camp. He skated in 26 games for the Spirit then was traded to Sudbury. After a so-so start with the Spirit, Sgarbossa had 62 points in 37 games for the Wolves in the regular season and was Sudbury's leading scorer in the playoffs. In 63 games between the two teams he scored 36 goals, including 15 power play goals, with 46 assists and was +13 (+16 with Sudbury) with 77 PMs. Sudbury, after finishing under .500 during the regular season, reached the second round of the playoffs. In eight post-season games Sgarbossa was +5 with 5 goals and 9 assists.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...hael_sgarbossa

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=44684171

Mike Connolly:

Position: Center
Size: 5' 9" 180 lbs
Playing : Worcester (AHL)
Current Stats: 10 goals, 20 assists in 40 games

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=101541

Quote:
2008-09: Connolly skated in 43 games for the University of Minnesota-Duluth as a freshman. He was named to the WCHA's All-Rookie Team after scoring 13 goals with 29 assists. He finished +11 with 53 PMs and scored five power play goals for the Bulldogs. UM-D finished seventh in the regular season but won the conference tournament, defeating Denver, 4-0, in the championship game to earn an NCAA bid. In an amazing come-from-behind win against Princeton in the NCAA West Regional, Connolly scored an overtime game-winning goal after assisting on the two last minute goals that the Bulldogs scored with the goalie pulled to tie the game.

2009-10: Connolly was the fourth-leading scorer for Minnesota-Duluth as a sophomore. Playing on the team's top line he scored 14 goals, including five game-winners, and had 26 assists with 24 PMs and an even plus/minus. The Bulldogs tied for fourth in the WCHA but failed to match their playoff run from a year earlier - losing to North Dakota in the WCHA Quarterfinals.

2010-11: Connolly was a finalist for college hockey's Hobey Baker award and was voted team MVP by his teammates as a junior following the Bulldogs' NCAA championship season. Connolly scored 28 goals with 26 assists and was +22 with 59 PMs in 42 games. After finishing fourth in the WCHA during the regular season and losing to Bemidji State in overtime in the WCHA tournament, the Bulldogs shutout Union, 2-0, and then had one-goal wins over Yale, Notre Dame and Michigan, the last in overtime, to capture the NCAA Championship. Connolly signed a two-year, entry-level contract with the Sharks in April 2011, foregoing his senior year of college hockey.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mike_connolly

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-27-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: An hour later the thread finally shows up, haha.
Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
avsman

vCash: 500
Jamie McGinn+?

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Any word on if McGinn has back issues? I received a random tweet about this, but haven't heard anything else.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Foppa2118

At least the two young guys have good offensive numbers. Not sure what the need is though with Hishon and Olver as very similar players.

They're either really high or McGinn, or they weren't as worried about the defense as the rest of us.

Also could be a sign they are worried about Hishon's status.

This will drastically affect team chemsitry losing two of possibly the most popular guys on the team. Avs really shaking up the room with these trades. We'll see how it works out.

Old
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
At least the two young guys have good offensive numbers. Not sure what the need is though with Hishon and Olver as very similar players.

They're either really high or McGinn, or they weren't as worried about the defense as the rest of us.

Also could be a sign they are worried about Hishon's status.

This will drastically affect team chemsitry losing two of possibly the most popular guys on the team. Avs really shaking up the room with these trades. We'll see how it works out.
Players NEED to learn to deal with losing popular guys in the locker room. It's just a part of the game. I'm a big Galiardi fan & one of Sacco's biggest critics when it came to Gali's on-ice treatment. But, that being said, Gali wasn't having a great season and recently was a healthy scratch. Winnik, the Avs were not going to come close to what he was asking for in a new contract deal.

That being said, you have to say the Avs did a good job getting high value in the form of a guy who will contribute immediately and 2 prospects. You bring up a could point about Hishon and his future. Maybe that played a part in this deal as well.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Hey guys, I was sent here by an Av buddy of mine (through association you've become my west team ). Any idea if McGinn will be in the line-up tonight?

PS McGinn is a former 67s captain and former fan favourite. If he's developed anything like I thought he would, you're getting a hell of a heart and sole guy who can play top 6 or bottom 6. I hope he breaks out and becomes a star. I love watching my 67s succeed.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
TheStranger

Last I heard he will NOT be in the line-up tonight. Though I don't see why 6-7 hours isn't enough time to get in. Perhaps they want him to have a practice with the team first etc.

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Was not a huge fan of the deal at the start, just because I felt like we sold low on Galiardi...but overall I don't mind the deal.

Sharks fans are raging with hate over giving up McGinn, so that's a good sign that we are getting a good player.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
hockeyr5

vCash: 891
My good buddy is a big Avs fan so I kinda root for them and I have to say I like this deal for you guys.

I really liked Galiardi but overall I think you got better value.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

You guys will like McGinn. Always ALWAYS skates hard. Uses all his energy to skate hard and back check, even in the last 5 minutes of the game. Offensively, he has a sick wrister that wasn't given much of a chance since he never had space to use it. Seriously, one the best wristers I've seen.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was not a huge fan of the deal at the start, just because I felt like we sold low on Galiardi...but overall I don't mind the deal.

Sharks fans are raging with hate over giving up McGinn, so that's a good sign that we are getting a good player.
The little bit of McGinn I've seen in the NHL, he is the type of guy you win with in the playoffs. Kind of reminds me of a winger version of Chris Kelly. The kind of guy who steps up when you need secondary scoring and is great in all 3 zones. McGinn also has lots of untapped offensive potential imo. He was stuck behind a lot of depth on the Sharks squad but I think could easily be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL based off work ethic and willingness to battle and go to the dirty areas. He's not necessarily physical, but he isn't scared of contact either by any means. I think he could become a 20-20 guy for you guys.

And Sgarbossa is a great prospect. Check the prospects board for a thread on him, it shouldnt be more then 3 pages deep. He could be an elite 3rd liner or decent 2nd liner.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
landesberg
p stastny

Love the trade though I am worried about the depth of the team.... This means more Kevin Porter

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
nix at home

Sharks fan here. Sad to lose Ginner. Plays fast and intense. Hits everything he can with a little too much zealous sometimes (you'll shake your head over some of the dumb penalties he will take). Had a rough year last year, but is really having a breakout year this time round. Really showing his potential.

He'll score some goals. Don't expect to see him on the PK though.

nix at home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
After having a bit of time to mull over the trade I like it a bit more. Seems like the Avs picked up two offensively gifted prospects (something missing in the system), and McGinn seems like the type of player management loves. Still very sad to see TJ and Winnik moved, TJ has been one of my favourite players since his first year with the team. Wish them both the best of luck, hopefully they can help the Avs out a bit by beating some of the teams fighting with us for that last spot.

Also find it funny that the Avs break up another bromance. I know Downie and Stamkos were best friends, so are McGinn and Couture...kinda funny (Avs get the grinder pal of a teams top-young player)

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
nix at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
You guys will like McGinn. Always ALWAYS skates hard. Uses all his energy to skate hard and back check, even in the last 5 minutes of the game. Offensively, he has a sick wrister that wasn't given much of a chance since he never had space to use it. Seriously, one the best wristers I've seen.
Definitely has a beautiful wrister. Great on the twitter too. For those saying it though, he's not really a 3-zone player, right now at least. Still young with loads of potential though.

He's a demon on the forecheck too.

nix at home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Landeskog View Post
Love the trade though I am worried about the depth of the team.... This means more Kevin Porter
I don't see why that's really the case, now with Mueller and Hejduk healthy.

O'Reilly
Landeskog
Downie
Mueller
Stastny
Jones
Duchene
Hejduk
McClemment
Kobasew
McLeod
McGinn
Olver

That's 13 ahead of Porter.

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
We lost our best penalty killer? Did the Avs trade McClement too? I thought it was only Winnik who got traded....

McGinn is going to be awesome for us.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
I was a bit disappointed until I checked out sgarbossa's stats, hes second in the OHL for points, thats pretty damned impressive. also the guy has one of the best names i've heard in a while. steve sgarbossa

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Foppa Frossa

McGinn better step up his tweets or we got seriously fleeced.

Was TJ doing much else for us besides that?

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix at home View Post
Sharks fan here. Sad to lose Ginner. Plays fast and intense. Hits everything he can with a little too much zealous sometimes (you'll shake your head over some of the dumb penalties he will take). Had a rough year last year, but is really having a breakout year this time round. Really showing his potential.

He'll score some goals. Don't expect to see him on the PK though.
He doesn't have a high PIM number (26) tough, I tought it's much higher.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...28&feedID=2798

1 on 1 with McGinn

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
18Mike18

i really hate this. too little for gali. should have kept him

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
We lost our best penalty killer? Did the Avs trade McClement too? I thought it was only Winnik who got traded....

McGinn is going to be awesome for us.
If you look at the majority of plays where the play was battled for and one at the blueline, or kept in the opposition zone, it was usually Winnik. McClement is very good himself, and strong on draws, but to me the more important plays came from Winnik.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix at home View Post
Definitely has a beautiful wrister. Great on the twitter too. For those saying it though, he's not really a 3-zone player, right now at least. Still young with loads of potential though.

He's a demon on the forecheck too.
I guess his 2 way game hasn't developed like I thought it would after junior. With the 67s he was an unreal defensive forward along with Couture.

I hope Logan doesn't take his best friend being traded too hard. That could impact a young player.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
PAZ

Fine with giving up Winnik, losing Gali though... uhg.

I guess you gotta give to get, but I feel like Gali is going to be a beast on the Sharks when hes not in the doghouse.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote