Old
05-31-2012, 08:15 PM
cat400

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397347

Tim Thomas' Options

LeBrun: We know the Boston Bruins may potentially try and trade goaltender Tim Thomas when his no-trade clause evaporates on July 1 but among the other options I'm told Tim Thomas is considering is maybe not playing next season. I'm not saying that's going to happen for sure but I was told today that he's thinking about maybe taking the year off. It's been a stressful year for the 38-year-old, we all know about the White House controversy, and the Bruins have a #1 goalie-in-waiting in Tuukka Rask.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I thought a suspension tolls the cap hit and the contract.

i.e. The player is obligated to come back and fulfill the terms of the contract he signed- and until he does, the whole thing doesn't count.

The Islanders did it with Nabakov, St.Louis did it with Soderberg and Nashville did it with Radulov. They suspended those guys and so there was no cap hit while the players stayed away, the years didn't even tick off their contracts until they returned and played in the NHL, or the suspension was lifted.
The CBA says that a suspended player's salary "shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit", yet it then says, "but the Club must have Payroll room for such player's salary and bonuses".

But really, I doubt he'd be suspended. They'd work something out or he'd "retire" (which would suck for the B's because his cap hit would stay on) and then come back a year later.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I'd love to believe in some dark way the truth is he was sticking it to the team, the city, the children, the cod, and baked ****ing beans.

This guy played out of his mind doing things no Bruins goalie in history ever has done on his way to delivering a Cup in decades. Lifetimes. An entire generation.

****ing back stabbing ungrateful ******** in this town and in the press if you ask me. Ashamed of yourselves you should be.

More likely this is just another ******** story or something is seriously wrong with someone in his life. If the latter is true I wish him all the best.

God. This place sickens me somedays.
Totally agree.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Really? That's absolute *********. You have a contract to fulfill. You have a team that counts on you.

You also have a cap hit that you're just willing to stick with the team and not play?

**** that ****.

Thomas won't do that, but if he ever did, I wouldn't hesitate to put him up there with some of the biggest D-bags in Boston sports.
His contract says they pay him if he plays. What you think any player with a year or more left on his contrat has an obligation to not retire just because of the contract? Does a team have to keep a player on a team who isn't good enough any more just because they have a contract or can they waive him? Same thing.

And if it sucks that the B's would get stuck with him on the cap, guess what.... that's why you don't give out multi year deals to guys over 35.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
I'd love to believe in some dark way the truth is he was sticking it to the team, the city, the children, the cod, and baked ****ing beans.

This guy played out of his mind doing things no Bruins goalie in history ever has done on his way to delivering a Cup in decades. Lifetimes. An entire generation.

****ing back stabbing ungrateful ******** in this town and in the press if you ask me. Ashamed of yourselves you should be.

More likely this is just another ******** story or something is seriously wrong with someone in his life. If the latter is true I wish him all the best.

Quoted for truth.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I have a super dumb/nerdy question that I can't find an answer to...maybe people smarter and more knowledgeable about the sports world than I will have some insight.

Are athletes entitled to things like FMLA benefits the way a regular employee would be at a "normal" job?
Seems like it would apply: "FMLA applies to all public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 or more employees. "

Old
05-31-2012, 08:21 PM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Three possible scenarios: One, he is sticking it to the team and wants out in the worst way. Two, he has some sort of family healthy problem serious enough to take off the year. Three, he is trying to stop a trade to a particular team.(Very unlikely but still possible)
4. Lebrun was sitting too close to Haggs during the SCF in NJ.

Notice how part of Lebrun's reasoning was the White House snub.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

The guy almost singlehandedly brought the team a Cup, and while I do explore trading him in the best interests of the club, I would never fault or insult him for doing what is in his own or his family's best interest. If he wants a year off, and is willing to lose money, that is his choice and it doesn't make him a bad guy.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
pgm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
4. Lebrun was sitting too close to Haggs during the SCF in NJ.

Notice how part of Lebrun's reasoning was the White House snub.
5. Lets put the hockey media in the same class as NBA refs...

Old
05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
patty59

It is and election year.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Seems like it would apply: "FMLA applies to all public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 or more employees. "
I just wonder how it works in terms of the CBA & athletic contracts...the parameters of FMLA seem completely contradictory to the structure of a professional sports league.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
patty59

I hope he plays for the Bruins next year, we've been truly spoiled to have him on our favourite team. I want a few more years of him.

Old
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

This all sounds like a steaming pile of donkey **** to me.

Old
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I just wonder how it works in terms of the CBA & athletic contracts...the parameters of FMLA seem completely contradictory to the structure of a professional sports league.
Possibly. Now that I think of it, I seem to recall that athletes are actually considered independent contractors and not employees.

EDIT: After further research it seems a team sport athlete would be considered "an employee" and a individual sport athlete (tennis) would be an independent contractor.

Old
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
This all sounds like a steaming pile of donkey **** to me.
^^^^

Old
05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
patty59

Quote:

Solid post. They don't call you the best for nothing

I actually am hoping that he's doing it just to **** with the media.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
L O ****IN L about Tim being stressed about the white house and tuuk.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397347

Tim Thomas' Options

LeBrun: We know the Boston Bruins may potentially try and trade goaltender Tim Thomas when his no-trade clause evaporates on July 1 but among the other options I'm told Tim Thomas is considering is maybe not playing next season. I'm not saying that's going to happen for sure but I was told today that he's thinking about maybe taking the year off. It's been a stressful year for the 38-year-old, we all know about the White House controversy, and the Bruins have a #1 goalie-in-waiting in Tuukka Rask.
Lebrun is a ****ing loser.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
L O ****IN L about Tim being stressed about the white house and tuuk.
Might just be worried about the debt ceiling.

EVERYTHING IS ON THE TABLE!

Old
05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The CBA says that a suspended player's salary "shall not count against a Club's Upper Limit", yet it then says, "but the Club must have Payroll room for such player's salary and bonuses".

But really, I doubt he'd be suspended. They'd work something out or he'd "retire" (which would suck for the B's because his cap hit would stay on) and then come back a year later.
Yeah, that's... confusing. And it doesn't look like there's anything in there as to how a suspension affects a 35+ contracts.

05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
The guy almost singlehandedly brought the team a Cup, and while I do explore trading him in the best interests of the club, I would never fault or insult him for doing what is in his own or his family's best interest. If he wants a year off, and is willing to lose money, that is his choice and it doesn't make him a bad guy.
Next to Wally's post, this is the best !

The bad guy would be the guy who doesn't consider every option to do what's best for his family.

It seems to me that while we should be feeling gratitude for what he has accomplished and more importantly, respect for even considering giving up his second love for his first, some of us are feeling angst, disappointment and even anger.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Steaming pile of cow dung

Old
05-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Yeah, that's... confusing. And it doesn't look like there's anything in there as to how a suspension affects a 35+ contracts.
It does say regardless of whether a player who signed a 35+ contract is playing, injured, retired, or for some reason not on the active roster they will count against the teams cap. My assumption, and I think Dom confirmed earlier in post 20, would be that this includes suspended players as well.

If not, that would be far too large of a loophole in the 35+ contracts.

Sucks for us, sucks for the Bruins, but as others have pointed out we should wait and see what the reasoning is before jumping to conclusions. There are more then a few very good reasons a player would and should do this, and with all Thomas has given the Bruins and their fans, he deserves at least the benefit of the doubt.

Old
05-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
As a parent and a husband, yes. Easily. Family, loved ones, personal health, they all come first. Lots of things are more important then hockey.
This...there is a reason. It should come forth soon but is it really anyones business.

Closed Thread