Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 04:33 PM
EverettMike

vCash: 500
"Timmy owes the Bruins!"

Um, how exactly does employment work again?

Also, the Bruins don't owe Timmy anything other than some respect and the same goes for Timmy to the bruins. He went to them last season, so it isn't like he sprung this on them the day before FA started or something.

Now, we also don't know how much Timmy explained this potential decision to them. Maybe he gave them all the facts, maybe not. WE DON'T KNOW!

But he doesn't owe them for "giving him a chance." People make it sound like it was charity. They signed him for some depth in the organization because they were familiar with him and knew he had some talent and had just had an amazing season in a pretty good league.

So stop with that crap.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

I'm so confused

Old
06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Ok, he's still just seen the former's next contract increase substantially. I guess the argument could be made that the increase there will be off-set by the loss if TT doesn't sign another deal after this season, but it still hurts the Bruins at least (they have to pay Tuukka more).

My point was that some Bruins fans could see this as less than optimal for the team, and them having the same agent doesn't really negate that.
I can't see that really. Rask is still a RFA, so unless another team offer sheets him, Chia's hands aren't really tied any tighter than they were before. It gives Rask maybe a little bit more leverage, but I can't agree that it's going to significantly increase his next deal.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:40 PM
jmanny24

I've read through the whole thread. One thing I haven't seen, If this is a family issue for TT, it didn't sound like he got a lot of sympathetic backing from Chiarelli. There was no "we will support Tim in whatever he decides." type quote. Maybe it is just me but I found that interesting.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
You can bet that the next CBA will have the rumoured one-time anmesty clause to help Snyder and others to solve sticky contracts.
And naturally it won't help the Bruins in the least because Chiarelli doesn't give out mistake contracts....

The real world is so fair.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
My point wasn't how any of those implications affect Thomas, it was why those implications might leave Bruins fans a bit sour. The obvious response to that is to say "Well, he won those fans a Cup", and there's some truth to that. I'm not advocating hate for the guy, just saying that Bruins fans are going to be torn on this, as it hampers the team a bit, no matter how you cut it.
All true. I think the biggest question really is going to be exactly what "a bit" is going to play out to mean.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
RussellmaniaKW

this really sucks because these are prime cup contention years for the Bruins. I have total faith that Tuukka can be the man, but it sucks that we'll lose Timmy and yet not lose his cap hit. At least if it was a trade, we can use the money to make the team stronger in fron t of Tuukka.

Just bummed out b/c I was really hoping for a repeat this year and when it didn't happen I was willing to write it off due to fatigue, lack of hunger, etc. However I was really looking forward to them bouncing back next year and either riding Timmy for another season or using his cap hit to improve the team. This is a pretty big setback IMO.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanny24 View Post
I've read through the whole thread. One thing I haven't seen, If this is a family issue for TT, it didn't sound like he got a lot of sympathetic backing from Chiarelli...
It's all pretty nebulous at this point.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 06-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Remember when the Sharks took on Vladamir Malakhov's cap hit in exchange for NJ's 1st round pick? That's what it'll take to dump Tim Thomas's cap hit if he goes through with this.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Timmy owes the Bruins nothing, and all the Bruins "owe" him back is thanks for what he did in his time with us. No more or less than any other player really. I hope that when he officially retires it is as a Bruin. Does the NHL support those 1 day trades that have been allowing long-time Sox to retire as a member of the Sox in recent times?

Timmy is always going to be one of my favorite players of this era, along with Savvy, Bergy, Chara and Samsonov. Just won't change no matter what happens!

Old
06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
this really sucks because these are prime cup contention years for the Bruins. I have total faith that Tuukka can be the man, but it sucks that we'll lose Timmy and yet not lose his cap hit. At least if it was a trade, we can use the money to make the team stronger in fron t of Tuukka.

Just bummed out b/c I was really hoping for a repeat this year and when it didn't happen I was willing to write it off due to fatigue, lack of hunger, etc. However I was really looking forward to them bouncing back next year and either riding Timmy for another season or using his cap hit to improve the team. This is a pretty big setback IMO.
Well it isn't completely and totally "official" yet that he's taking the year off. Although I'm guessing that will be the case.

Lack of Tim between the pipes absolutely hurts us. Hopefully we have something equally special with Tuukka and Dobby.

cap his? Ehh.. I don't see it as a big issue. It's really only an issue if Chia had plans of spending to the cap and his interviews lately didn't exactly confirm to me that he was willing to make a splash in free agency this summer or anything. And even if he does, by putting Savard on LTIR, we still have a decent amount left over. Even moreso if we don't sign one of Campbell or Kelly (although I hope we get Kelly back).
But all that's speculation. I'm certainly no capologist. But think as of right now, there are only 3 players not signed. Tuukka, Campbell and Kelly and we have ~$12m in cap space. Sign Rask and Kelly and have Knight or Bourque play? /shrug

Old
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I've read through the whole thread. One thing I haven't seen, If this is a family issue for TT, it didn't sound like he got a lot of sympathetic backing from Chiarelli. There was no "we will support Tim in whatever he decides." type quote. Maybe it is just me but I found that interesting.
Maybe you haven't seen or heard Chiarelli much in interviews, but he's not the type to say much along those lines.

The players very obviously like and respect him, so I suspect he's a lot more personable in person. But when he's talking into a microphone, he always plays it close to the vest.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
jmanny24

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
It's kind of difficult to support a decision that hasn't been made yet.
While that is true you would think Chiarelli would be more privvy to what is going on and deflect questions about consequences and have people concentrate on supporting TT in his difficult time. Again I don't know just something I found interesting.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
BadBruins

Without the facts, it sure is hard to slam Tim Thomas. At the same time, it's also difficult to praise him (on this specific decision). I'd like to know more details. I doubt we ever hear anything official though. I'd like to think it must be serious if he chose this route end things. Training camp is still 3 months away and he's been off since late April.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
bobbyz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I was at his first game as a Bruin, it was in Edmonton and if I remember correctly, he got the W and it was a SO.
I think it was a 2-1 win, and Thomas had around 37-38 saves and played great. I said to my girlfriend at the time , I have a feeling about this Thomas guy. He goes on to win a cup. Now this, I hope this doesnt happen, I will loose all respect for Thomas if it does. What a goof, I guess he thinks he owns the world now or something, honour your contract then piss off.

Old
06-01-2012, 04:59 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz04 View Post
I think it was a 2-1 win, and Thomas had around 37-38 saves and played great. I said to my girlfriend at the time , I have a feeling about this Thomas guy. He goes on to win a cup. Now this, I hope this doesnt happen, I will loose all respect for Thomas if it does. What a goof, I guess he thinks he owns the world now or something, honour your contract then piss off.
You'll lose ALL respect? really?

EDIT - sorry. I guess I don't understand the thought process when seeing a player "honor their contract" trumps what they've done for their favorite team. That's a really weird way to be a fan, no offense.

Old
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
I'd like to know more details.
Why? "My family is more important than my job" should be enough for you.

you can understand it anyway you like. It really has very little to do with how you feel. sorry

Old
jmanny24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Maybe you haven't seen or heard Chiarelli much in interviews, but he's not the type to say much along those lines.

The players very obviously like and respect him, so I suspect he's a lot more personable in person. But when he's talking into a microphone, he always plays it close to the vest.
I agree Artemis and I ask this sincerely, what was he like when they announced Kessel's sickness? It may be the closest comp we have for his reactions.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

He's going to waste one of his two, maybe three good years that he has left? I don't get it.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

It all started with that TV commercial. He's either bangin the cabdriver . . . or PEGGY.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Family always comes first. I will never consider someone selfish for putting family above their job, whether they are a professional athlete or flipping burgers at McDonalds. Thomas has to do what he has to do, and I respect that.

That said, I hate the situation that this leaves the Bruins in. He doesn't owe anything to the team, but as a fan of the Bruins, this completely sucks.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I agree Artemis and I ask this sincerely, what was he like when they announced Kessel's sickness? It may be the closest comp we have for his reactions.
Kessel, Bergeron, Savard... Chiarelli never says much beyond providing information. He's just not the type to get gushy with the media. And I don't blame him, with everyone trying to read his reactions like they're goat entrails at Delphi.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:05 PM
jmanny24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Who says Thomas is going through tough times? Wanting to be with family doesn't mean that something is wrong.

While I am supporting Thomas for whatever he wants to do especially regarding his personal life... a NHL GENERAL MANAGER sure isn't going to be happy with his decision any way you slice it.
I guess that is the crux of the issue for me, and apologies for being a bit snarky in my reply. If he wants to be with his family, what is a year off going to do? He should retire and enjoy them what else does he have to accomplish? Good for him to go out at the top of his game.

But if it is more than just spending time with the family why wouldn't Chiarelli come out and say we will support Tim in his decisions?

A strange situation all the way around

Old
06-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
He's going to waste one of his two, maybe three good years that he has left? I don't get it.
If he's doing that, stands to reason there's a good reason, no?

Occam's razor. Oftentimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
My guess is that he'll be totally done if he does this. He'll move to Colorado and we'll probably never hear from him again in any capacity.

Closed Thread