HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas may take the year off?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2012, 09:00 PM
  #76
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,182
vCash: 500
Until Thomas posts it on his own FB page himself, I won't believe it.

Maybe the year off is based on a lockout. Maybe it's for family stuff.

But again, everything that involves Thomas always goes back to politics. It's annoying. Hockey is hockey. That's it.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
  #77
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,268
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I'd love to believe in some dark way the truth is he was sticking it to the team, the city, the children, the cod, and baked ****ing beans.

This guy played out of his mind doing things no Bruins goalie in history ever has done on his way to delivering a Cup in decades. Lifetimes. An entire generation.

****ing back stabbing ungrateful ******** in this town and in the press if you ask me. Ashamed of yourselves you should be.

More likely this is just another ******** story or something is seriously wrong with someone in his life. If the latter is true I wish him all the best.

God. This place sickens me somedays.
wish I could 'love' posts. my thoughts exactly.

It's seriously awful how his legacy in this town is going to be the White House thing thanks to the incessant rabbling from some ax-grinding media types.

I really hope that if Thomas is done with the Bruins, that's not how he's remembered in Boston. He deserves so much better than that.

SerenityRick is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
  #78
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
Until Thomas posts it on his own FB page himself, I won't believe it.

Maybe the year off is based on a lockout. Maybe it's for family stuff.

But again, everything that involves Thomas always goes back to politics. It's annoying. Hockey is hockey. That's it.
Just curious, but would you have said that prior to the whole White House incident? I at times get the feeling I missed this whole thing, but I never really heard anything in regards to Timmy's political stance before then, and haven't really since (unless it was about that incident of course).

Kaoz* is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
  #79
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
It does say regardless of whether a player who signed a 35+ contract is playing, injured, retired, or for some reason not on the active roster they will count against the teams cap. My assumption, and I think Dom confirmed earlier in post 20, would be that this includes suspended players as well.

If not, that would be far too large of a loophole in the 35+ contracts.
Ahhh, ok. That'll sting.

__________________
PlayMakers is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
  #80
Strafer
Registered User
 
Strafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: da Hub
Country: United States
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Is it out of line to think that maybe Thomas is upset at the fact that his name is coming up in trade talks? He's a proud Capuchin, and I could see him saying, "You know what, after all I've done, I don't deserve this. If I can't pick my team then nobody will."
This is exactly what I thought as soon as I read this. TT May be becoming somewhat spiteful and arrogant?
In Regard to "Gee Wally"
I agree with you too and didn't like so many piling on TT during the whole WH incident since there were others who did the same thing that Tim did.

If he indeed does this sabatical thing... He'll be contributing to that negativity.
When Bobby Orr had his issue with the B's he didn't play games, in his eyes they were screwing him so he just went out and signed with Chicago without going to the media or doing/saying anything vindictive.


Last edited by Strafer: 05-31-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Strafer is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:18 PM
  #81
AK37
Registered User
 
AK37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
Trade him July 1st for a draft pick, free up his money for the cap and make a run at Parise or Ryan Suter.

Just move forward with Rask & Khudobin and bring in another impact player at forward or on defense and just move on. I have full confidence that we will get adequate goaltending from a Rask / Khudobin tandem.

I love Thomas and I'm thankful for what he has accomplished here.....but in my opinion it's time to make the tranistion to Tuukka. I just hope there isn't a big smear campaign on his way out of here.

AK37 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
  #82
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Ahhh, ok. That'll sting.

Yup. The off-season options are reduced significantly if Thomas takes the year off and his $5 million counts against the cap.

Alan Ryan is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
  #83
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,268
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Just curious, but would you have said that prior to the whole White House incident? I at times get the feeling I missed this whole thing, but I never really heard anything in regards to Timmy's political stance before then, and haven't really since (unless it was about that incident of course).
It was known he was a conservative (at least I knew he was prior), but after he explained himself following the White House visit, several Boston sports media types took it upon themselves to drag it on for as long as the horse would take them. citing "sources" that said they thought Thomas was selfish and speculation that this sparked locker room rifts etc etc... Of course most of it was just "journalists" quoting eachother when it came to write a new story about it.

And here we are almost 5 months later and certain journalists keep bringing it up like it's relevant.

SerenityRick is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
  #84
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK37 View Post
Trade him July 1st for a draft pick, free up his money for the cap and make a run at Parise or Ryan Suter.

Just move forward with Rask & Khudobin and bring in another impact player at forward or on defense and just move on. I have full confidence that we will get adequate goaltending from a Rask / Khudobin tandem.

I love Thomas and I'm thankful for what he has accomplished here.....but in my opinion it's time to make the tranistion to Tuukka. I just hope there isn't a big smear campaign on his way out of here.
Larry Lucchino's response to your post: "Don't even ****ing look at me."

EverettMike is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
  #85
SerenityRick
Registered User
 
SerenityRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 14,268
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
also lol at trading Tim away for a pick (or to free up cap space)..

A one year removed Vezina and Conn Smyth winner is worth more than that.. specifically he's worth more to this team if that's all we're going to get for him.

I'm not adverse to trading him for actual assets if we really feel comfy with Rask and Khudobin.. but I can't wrap my head around just dumping him for the cap space. I guess I'm just thankful some posters aren't our GM, heh.

SerenityRick is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:28 PM
  #86
LetEmPlay
Registered User
 
LetEmPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Anyone know what town he lives/lived in in Mass? Would love to just go look at the reg of deeds to potentially dispel that he sold his house...

LetEmPlay is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM
  #87
MioneRask134
Registered User
 
MioneRask134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Maybe there's some personal health problems going on in his families lives? I love Timmy, I do think its time to trade him. But that doesn't mean I'm not greatful for what he's done. The smear campaign has been coming out since the white house thing. If he wants to take a year off. Let him. He owes us nothing. He worked damn hard to get where he's at.

MioneRask134 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
  #88
AK37
Registered User
 
AK37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Larry Lucchino's response to your post: "Don't even ****ing look at me."
LOL

If...and I repeat "IF" moving Thomas allows us to free up the money to sign Parise or Suter.....then I think you have to make the move.

I'm not saying just get rid of Thomas for the heck of it.....but I wouldn't hesitate if it brings us one of those two guys or if it allows the space to bring in another top end talent through trade

AK37 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
  #89
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 36,748
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK37 View Post
LOL

If...and I repeat "IF" moving Thomas allows us to free up the money to sign Parise or Suter.....then I think you have to make the move.

I'm not saying just get rid of Thomas for the heck of it.....but I wouldn't hesitate if it brings us one of those two guys or if it allows the space to bring in another top end talent through trade
You have a better chance of ******** silver dollars.

Bruins won't be signing those guys.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
  #90
AK37
Registered User
 
AK37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to AK37 Send a message via AIM to AK37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
also lol at trading Tim away for a pick (or to free up cap space)..

A one year removed Vezina and Conn Smyth winner is worth more than that.. specifically he's worth more to this team if that's all we're going to get for him.

I'm not adverse to trading him for actual assets if we really feel comfy with Rask and Khudobin.. but I can't wrap my head around just dumping him for the cap space. I guess I'm just thankful some posters aren't our GM, heh.
If it's a 1st or 2nd round pick....that's a decent return. A portion of the Bruins return is the cap space they free up to a degree. Thomas is 39 and while he is still an excellent goalie - teams aren't going to give up a big ransom for a 39 yr old.

I don't view a 1st or 2nd round pick plus the cap space as the Bruins getting hosed

AK37 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
  #91
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Just curious, but would you have said that prior to the whole White House incident? I at times get the feeling I missed this whole thing, but I never really heard anything in regards to Timmy's political stance before then, and haven't really since (unless it was about that incident of course).
I think it's a cop out and the media is using it to deflect away from the real reasons or to reach their word totals for articles.

For example, if the "WH controversy" didn't exist or if this story happened any other off-season, it would merely be an article based on rumor or sources with no mention of it.

It's constantly brought up by some media. It was earlier in the Colorado story. We get it. It happened. Time to move on. Focus on the goalie Tim Thomas now.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:39 PM
  #92
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: They all suck!
Country: United States
Posts: 17,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
My interpretation of @Real_ESPNLeBrun's Tim Thomas considering-taking-a-year-off item: TT chilling the trade talk. Believed to be available.

via Bob McKenzie on twitter.
What an ass Tim Thomas is, if this is indeed the truth.

You can't fire me! I RETIRE!

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
  #93
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
I think it's a cop out and the media is using it to deflect away from the real reasons or to reach their word totals for articles.

For example, if the "WH controversy" didn't exist or if this story happened any other off-season, it would merely be an article based on rumor or sources with no mention of it.

It's constantly brought up by some media. It was earlier in the Colorado story. We get it. It happened. Time to move on. Focus on the goalie Tim Thomas now.
Gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood your meaning. I though you meant "with Thomas, the reasons (his reasons) are always political". My bad. I agree 100% as well.

Kaoz* is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
  #94
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint
 
Lady Rhian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 22,662
vCash: 500
I could be way off base here, and no, I don't have any inside info or anything, but could it be that one of his parents is feeling worse? Weren't they both sick with cancer (I know the mother was a couple of years ago), hence why he had them move in with his family? If it was for this reason or one of his kids or wife was sick, or heaven forbid, himself, I wouldn't have any problems with him taking a year off.

Lady Rhian is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
  #95
WickedBruinsGirl
Registered User
 
WickedBruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Italy
Posts: 14,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood your meaning. I though you meant "with Thomas, the reasons (his reasons) are always political". My bad. I agree 100% as well.
Ah no.

Could anyone really blame him if he wanted to take the year off? I wouldn't want to have to deal with the Boston media every day either.

WickedBruinsGirl is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:49 PM
  #96
JMiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 15,573
vCash: 500
TT Deserves nothing less than to be considered a living legend in this town.He's the last guy who should take the kind of crap he's been getting. Here's hoping all is right in his life.

JMiller is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
  #97
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song
 
Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,539
vCash: 500
This may be way out of left field, but...Can the Bruins some how claim that Thomas is suffering from mental exhaustion? If he is injured, it doesn't count against the cap.

Central Scrutinizer is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
  #98
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
I'm hoping this is inaccurate. But for an athlete, taking a year off is a lot more costly. Especially with all the stuff he had to go through to get to the nhl. It'd have to be a serious, personal thing.

kman22 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
  #99
northeastern
Registered User
 
northeastern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Some things are more important than hockey. Even the $ 3 million he'd be giving up
Makes one wonder what could be the reason. Hope its not a bad thing...

I was unaware timmy moved his family to colorado... hmmm....



Somethings coming.

northeastern is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
  #100
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 500
Without knowing too much about the situation, it seems to me that he's just sabotaging any kind of trade value he has because he doesn't want to move teams. If a team still trades for him they know the risks.

loudi94 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.